Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Attestant posted:

All you guys who started playing after guaranteed 5* items on 11-pulls have it so good.

I wouldn't have given the game a chance if it didn't have the guarantee. Its definitely pretty friendly as far a F2P goes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Even without it it's pretty solid. About three weeks of playtime gives you an 11-pull, with a 14% of each being a 5*. Compare with say, Fire Emblem Heroes, where 10 days gives you five pulls with about a ~6% chance of something good.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Against my better judgement, I just bought some gems and rolled on the newest FFXIV banner and got Temple Cyclas! Seems decent.

Anyone have any advice for utilizing Yda? My current team is just comprised of the people I have relics for so any suggestions would be great. Loadout is as follows:

Reks (Diamond shield) - Spellsword/Cura
Vayne (Novus Leathers) - Combat/ -ga magic (front row with a sword)
Fran (Artemis Bow) - Power Breakdown/ -ga magic
Larsa (Staff of the Magi) - Magic Breakdown/Curaga

then my last spot was Gilgamesh with the drawtaliate combo. Figured that Yda with a combat/monk + Armor Breakdown would be successful.

Thoughts?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's too bad that UHF gif seems to have died with the old thread. Nothing more perfectly captured the feel of pulling before guaranteed 5*.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Even without it it's pretty solid. About three weeks of playtime gives you an 11-pull, with a 14% of each being a 5*. Compare with say, Fire Emblem Heroes, where 10 days gives you five pulls with about a ~6% chance of something good.

There are also lucky banners often enough that if you just want to pull on something without being specific you'll be able to often enough

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There are also lucky banners often enough that if you just want to pull on something without being specific you'll be able to often enough

But then, the odds were also lower back then, and there were way less lucky draws than we get these days. :eng101:

I'm not saying the game wasn't generous, though. It totally was, and it's what made the game playable in the first place. Even with horrible luck you get enough mythril that eventually it'll balance out. And back it those days, hones and gear carried you far enough anyways.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ceaselessfuture posted:

Against my better judgement, I just bought some gems and rolled on the newest FFXIV banner and got Temple Cyclas! Seems decent.

Anyone have any advice for utilizing Yda? My current team is just comprised of the people I have relics for so any suggestions would be great. Loadout is as follows:

Reks (Diamond shield) - Spellsword/Cura
Vayne (Novus Leathers) - Combat/ -ga magic (front row with a sword)
Fran (Artemis Bow) - Power Breakdown/ -ga magic
Larsa (Staff of the Magi) - Magic Breakdown/Curaga

then my last spot was Gilgamesh with the drawtaliate combo. Figured that Yda with a combat/monk + Armor Breakdown would be successful.

Thoughts?

It looks like you're going hybrid with Vayne, but you should try to concentrate on one or the other (PHY or MAG). Additionally, he has a relic, but it's an LM relic that lets him start with EnDark. Which means you'll want to either have him use some of the Dark spells from Black Magic, or from the Darkness school (found in the last tab, group 2). If you are equipping him with ATK gear, Dark Bargain will let him self-boost his attack and get a bonus from his LM.

Fran is a great support, and probably shouldn't be holding magic. Give her support skills, so it frees up room on your other characters.

Larsa probably has better things to do than Breakdown, for instance. Your SSB gives you protect/shell/stoneskin, but unless you can pop that at the beginning of a fight you'll probably still need mitigation up early.

Drawtaliate is useful in older content, but you're probably better off using Yda.

If you focus on physical, you can RW things like Shout that will let you improve your damage output on everyone as well.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Awesome, that's just what I needed. My original pie-in-the-sky plan for Fran was to give her Full Break and Icicle Shot to synergize with her Ultimate. Would this be a decent strategy in the future?

Also I had Larsa with Rallying Etude before. Should I go back to that or just get Ramza RWs?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ceaselessfuture posted:

Awesome, that's just what I needed. My original pie-in-the-sky plan for Fran was to give her Full Break and Icicle Shot to synergize with her Ultimate. Would this be a decent strategy in the future?

Also I had Larsa with Rallying Etude before. Should I go back to that or just get Ramza RWs?

Yeah, Icicle shot is physical, so it'll benefit from ATK gear and synergize with her ultimate. But she probably is better off holding the support breaks and letting someone else take advantage of the Ice imperil she lays down. Since you have an ice imperil, you might want to look at the upcoming VIII Banner 1, which has Squall BSB2 which is not only probably the best BSB, but is also ice and he would make a great teammate for her. Banner 2 has lots of Ice, but centered around mages like Rinoa and Edea. This is a controversial opinion but Rikku USB banner both has an amazing grand prize (+30% ATK/MAG, Haste, Proshellga), and a perfectly serviceable ice mage on it (who is very scary with her USB and the ability Abyssal Shards). There are also not-as-good-but-will-still-help-you relics like Jecht's Not-As-Good-As-Shout that can boost attack for the party by 50%.

Most fights you don't need both protectga and shellga, and when you do need both you can have Reks hold the other one instead of a cura. I'd recommend using either shellga/protectga + your highest level cure on him. It doesn't really mesh that well with his SSB, but it'll help you survive the openings of fights instead of relying on Larsa to build a SB bar before you have any mitigation. Larsa is a good healer because his Burst is excellent and he has Support (which enables him to use Wrath). Unfortunately, you don't have his BSB so his usefulness is a bit diminished. You might also want to pull on banners that give you a better healer (burst+).

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 10, 2017

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

HPanda posted:

It's too bad that UHF gif seems to have died with the old thread. Nothing more perfectly captured the feel of pulling before guaranteed 5*.

Nothing ever truly stays dead

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Arcon posted:

Nothing ever truly stays dead

Ha, thanks! Good old beforetimes.

Spending 50 mithril for a bunch of trash that was immediately sold off for negligible gil.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

HPanda posted:

Ha, thanks! Good old beforetimes.

Spending 50 mithril for a bunch of trash that was immediately sold off for negligible gil.

Instead that gif is the fruits of me buying 11 dollar pulls over a period of time

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
:(

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ha, I just took a look at my 5* motes, is the disparity correct? I'm behind on two JS battles, so I'm missing 30 Dex and 30 Spirit, but I'm looking at (if I cleared everything possible to date):

85 Spirit
93 Vit
225 Dex
25 Wisdom
93 Bravery.

Am I off? That's pretty ridiculous. And kind of funny.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

iamsosmrt posted:

Ha, I just took a look at my 5* motes, is the disparity correct? I'm behind on two JS battles, so I'm missing 30 Dex and 30 Spirit, but I'm looking at (if I cleared everything possible to date):

85 Spirit
93 Vit
225 Dex
25 Wisdom
93 Bravery.

Am I off? That's pretty ridiculous. And kind of funny.

Nope. Welcome to "Global and JP are different games."

We're missing some events that would have resulted in a more even spread of motes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Nope. Welcome to "Global and JP are different games."

We're missing some events that would have resulted in a more even spread of motes.

Not even collabs, this time, either; a huge chunk of motes were locked away in the Rebirth Dungeons and, if memory serves, the multiplayer Seph fight we never got.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does Zack's CSB stack with stuff like Shout? I can't tell if the "increases damage of crit hits" makes it a different ID or not.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

KataraniSword posted:

Not even collabs, this time, either; a huge chunk of motes were locked away in the Rebirth Dungeons and, if memory serves, the multiplayer Seph fight we never got.

So in short, I'm never going to finish out Bartz's legend dive and get that sweet dual-cast Cloud USB Snowspell Strike action

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

So in short, I'm never going to finish out Bartz's legend dive and get that sweet dual-cast Cloud USB Snowspell Strike action

For what it's worth, I haven't missed any motes yet (not sure if I'll be able to do this Bahamut D300 CM, probably not) and I'm only 7 vitality motes away from finishing Bartz' dive. But I focused all of my motes on him instead of splitting them between characters, since I figured just going full steam ahead on one character per mote pairing at a time is probably better than having like 2-3 half-finished ones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Same but I need 37 vit motes to finish Cloud's board. :negative:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does Zack's CSB stack with stuff like Shout? I can't tell if the "increases damage of crit hits" makes it a different ID or not.

Yes it does. Crit Damage is its own thing separate from ATK buffs and Crit Chance buffs. So you can stack Zack CSB + Shout + Eiko BSB in example.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yes it does. Crit Damage is its own thing separate from ATK buffs and Crit Chance buffs. So you can stack Zack CSB + Shout + Eiko BSB in example.

I think this is one of those situations where the effects are separate. So the Crit Chance buff and Shout will obviously work together, but the +50% Atk from Zack CSB will NOT stack with the 50% atk buff from Shout.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

I think this is one of those situations where the effects are separate. So the Crit Chance buff and Shout will obviously work together, but the +50% Atk from Zack CSB will NOT stack with the 50% atk buff from Shout.

Yeah, this is basically what I was wondering about. I've got Zack's CSB, Shout, Eiko's BSB, and OK's BSB, so I'm trying to figure out just how much poo poo I can stack together. I know if I RW Cloud's USB then I don't want Eiko, but I'm not sure how the other pieces interact. It sounds like some of them could be unique IDs or just two separate effects with overlapping IDs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crit effects sit separate from stat buffs in all cases. If something "boosts attack and crit damage", it is two effects. If something "boosts attack, defense, and crit damage" it is still two effects.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, this is basically what I was wondering about. I've got Zack's CSB, Shout, Eiko's BSB, and OK's BSB, so I'm trying to figure out just how much poo poo I can stack together. I know if I RW Cloud's USB then I don't want Eiko, but I'm not sure how the other pieces interact. It sounds like some of them could be unique IDs or just two separate effects with overlapping IDs.

I can't swear to it, but with Ramza/Zack/Eiko/OK, you'd have:
+50% Atk (Shout/Zack CSB)
+30% Atk/Mag (OK BSB)
50% crit chance (Eiko BSB)
+50% crit damage (Zack CSB)

and honestly, the 1.5*1.3 = 1.95% attack multiplier will probably get you pretty close/over the attack softcap of 805 (you'd need 413 base attack), especially if you can bring synergy gear or have a BSB for an additional *1.2 attack.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Yeah, this is basically what I was wondering about. I've got Zack's CSB, Shout, Eiko's BSB, and OK's BSB,

Use OK, Zach, RW Cloud.

Rest won't stack

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh woops I misunderstood the question a bit, you are correct.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huh, so basically now that I've got Zack's CSB and OK's BSB, there aren't a lot of reasons to bring Ramza along anymore. That's gonna be weird.

I do have Rama's USB also, so there will probably be times when I want him instead, but Zack's CSB just synergizes too well with Eiko / Cloud USB.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Speaking of cool new toys, I had this happen a while ago when the XIV event hit.

Making the only thing for Minfillia I'm missing her LM Relic. If there wasn't a DU Lucky coming up soon I'd be tempted to pull for it since it's a really good one (Increased duration of buffs given by Minfillia).

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Man, that XIV "God banner" happened like a month after I started and with 2 pulls (7/22), my team went from completely noobish to able to clear almost everything. I'll probably never play the actual XIV game, but that first banner will always reserve a soft spot in my heart.

Minfilia used to be a staple of my team, but these days it's hard to fit her in. This USB would probably put her right back at the forefront, but the rest of the banner is so meh. Good luck to anyone trying to pull the Y'shtola BSB or Wall.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I just had a really weird incident with the Apocalypse+ MP fight. Somehow the host had some severe combination of bad latency and/or device obsolescence, because the battle just dragged on forever :suicide: while each command took perhaps 30 seconds to process. The one silver lining was that the problem was incredibly consistent, so while the commands took way too long to process at least the various buff timers didn't go crazy as a result, and we eventually pulled out mastery after the better portion of an hour.

So when people ask me why I heavily prefer playing MP fights on an emulator, and sometimes suggest others do so as well, the above issue is why.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zack's CSB and OK's BSB are plenty. In my team Cloud was doing 100k or so damage to the wind resistant bosses in FF12 with his BSB2 and around 50k with 5* spellblades hitting weaknesses (and hailstorm for the Apoc jerk).

e: I look forward to the first MP Apoc+ fight that is wind vuln, or even wind neutral, and dropping some Cloud USB+BSB2 pain on it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

iamsosmrt posted:

I'll probably never play the actual XIV game,

This would be a mistake. It's the best Final Fantasy since VI.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

BGrifter posted:

This would be a mistake. It's the best Final Fantasy since VI.

I'm not sure I can really do a modern FF game anymore. X was my last one, way back in 2007, maybe, I tried XII and dropped it pretty swiftly. Heck, I started re-playing FFIV a few months back but only really have time pick it up maybe once every two weeks. The lack of play and go convenience basically dictates only phone games like FFRK get any consistent playtime for me. I'm somewhat content with these games primarily existing for nostalgia purposes.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably an ultra casual gamer at this point.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm not sure I can really do a modern FF game anymore. X was my last one, way back in 2007, maybe, I tried XII and dropped it pretty swiftly. Heck, I started re-playing FFIV a few months back but only really have time pick it up maybe once every two weeks. The lack of play and go convenience basically dictates only phone games like FFRK get any consistent playtime for me. I'm somewhat content with these games primarily existing for nostalgia purposes.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably an ultra casual gamer at this point.

Fair enough, it definitely takes a chunk of time sitting in front of your TV.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KPC_Mammon posted:

Use OK, Zach, RW Cloud.

Rest won't stack

Why would Zack CSB be better than Shout? Also, Ramza's Chant SB works with all those so there's still a reason to bring Ramza. Oh yeah and Zack is only Support 3 so Ramza can help OK with debuffing.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 10, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why would Zack CSB be better than Shout? Also, Ramza's Chant SB works with all those so there's still a reason to bring Ramza. Oh yeah and Zack is only Support 3 so Ramza can help OK with debuffing.

With Onion Knight BSB, you don't need the haste. With Zack CSB, you don't need the boostga. The combination of those two makes Shout totally redundant. Oh, and Chant is the exact same Crit Damage buff as Zack CSB, so it's basically using a gauge for a bubble.

Ramza is still useful (for History's Truth/general SUP5 stuff) but he doesn't need to be a shoutbot with those two on duty.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

With Onion Knight BSB, you don't need the haste. With Zack CSB, you don't need the boostga. The combination of those two makes Shout totally redundant. Oh, and Chant is the exact same Crit Damage buff as Zack CSB, so it's basically using a gauge for a bubble.

Ramza is still useful (for History's Truth/general SUP5 stuff) but he doesn't need to be a shoutbot with those two on duty.

Welp, time to egg Zack to 99 then. Thanks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Edit: Nevermind! Left my browser open too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Zack gives 50% atk and 50% crit damage, Shout gives 50% atk and Hastega but OK's BSB also gives Hastega so Shout's flat out worse to use.

The only real downside is that Zack's not a very good character and his saving grace is having Combat 4 so he can at least Lifesiphon. He doesn't get any multi-hit wind abilities, just Aero Strike, to use with his CSB.

• Locked thread