Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Jenny Angel posted:

1) What are my best bets for watching if I don't have TV service? I got a decent-sized TV that's hooked up to an XBox, so are there any good options for streaming sites or apps that I can use? Happy to pay for a subscription if necessary

I recommend Sling Orange + Sports Extra which will get you espn espn2 tnt and nbatv for a cool 25 bucks a month. Try that out when the season starts and mix it with reddit nbastreams to check out teams to see which one you really like and then you can pay nba league pass to get the local games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you need someone to be mad at the Bulls I'm your guy.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jenny Angel posted:

EDIT: Wrong thread!

But I do have some questions while I'm here! I grew up in Chicago in the 90's, so obviously I was really into basketball, but I stopped keeping track after '98 and was definitely too young while I was watching to appreciate any of the strategy. Recently though, I've been seeing a bunch of basketball stuff about the playoffs and offseason on my twitter timeline and getting real nostalgic, so I thought I might try to get back into watching it. I have three main questions:

1) What are my best bets for watching if I don't have TV service? I got a decent-sized TV that's hooked up to an XBox, so are there any good options for streaming sites or apps that I can use? Happy to pay for a subscription if necessary
2) Who should I be a fan of? I'm really hesitant to go back to the Bulls because I don't want to compare everything the current team does to my idealized memories of MJ and his superhero friends, so I'm kinda just looking for a team that's decent enough that watching them won't be constant heartbreak, and fun enough to watch that I can really develop that love. Things that I, a basketball dummy, think are cool as hell include big men plowing through defenders and big men doing authoritative blocks, so please direct me towards any teams that do a whole bunch of that poo poo, or just please tell me a sentence or two about why your own team is the coolest and I'll 100% be convinced
3) Are there any good resources for understanding terminology and strategy? Like, I remember enough about the basic rules, and I know broadly what each of the positions are supposed to do, but I definitely don't have enough knowledge of the game to appreciate what's going on beyond "gently caress, that big man plowed through that defender"

For absolute rock bottom basics, search "basketball basics" on youtube, FIBA has some videos to explain basketball to someone who's never seen it. Then you can search like basics of pick and roll, NBA defensive basics. https://www.youtube.com/user/bballbreakdown has detaild info about how players/teams play, a lot of people ahte him, you don't have to agree with his judgements but you can pick up a lot of terminology and strategy from the channel

The league pass option is probably is that the best, but you won't be able to see your local team, the upside is that the bulls are going to be rally bad if you're in the chicago area

Teams to root for: warriors if you like winnning and passing
spurs if you like culture and passing and not winning the championship
new orleans:If you're the type of rear end in a top hat who bets 00 on a roulette wheel
Nets: If you want to get in on the ground floor or a team that might be good in 10 years
Celtics: If you're a jerk
Houston: If you like free throws
Detroit: Want to test your ability to resist sports related suicide
Chicago: If you like the team's owner selling draft picks to fund his baseball team
Knicks: If you want to be frustrated for the rest of James Dolan's natural life
Timberwolves: If you want to get on the bandwagon of a team that might be good and might flame out and shock everyone
Kings: If you like strange outcomes
Dallas: If you like sound strict coaching and the magic ability for bad pgs to become decent
Atlanta: ditto but with wings
Orlando: Probably a bad idea unless you want to wait 6 years for the new gm's smart drafting to pay off
Milwaukee: If you want to be happy while also not being a frontrunner

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 10, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jenny Angel posted:

But I do have some questions while I'm here! I grew up in Chicago in the 90's, so obviously I was really into basketball, but I stopped keeping track after '98 and was definitely too young while I was watching to appreciate any of the strategy. Recently though, I've been seeing a bunch of basketball stuff about the playoffs and offseason on my twitter timeline and getting real nostalgic, so I thought I might try to get back into watching it. I have three main questions:

2) Who should I be a fan of? I'm really hesitant to go back to the Bulls because I don't want to compare everything the current team does to my idealized memories of MJ and his superhero friends, so I'm kinda just looking for a team that's decent enough that watching them won't be constant heartbreak, and fun enough to watch that I can really develop that love. Things that I, a basketball dummy, think are cool as hell include big men plowing through defenders and big men doing authoritative blocks, so please direct me towards any teams that do a whole bunch of that poo poo, or just please tell me a sentence or two about why your own team is the coolest and I'll 100% be convinced
3) Are there any good resources for understanding terminology and strategy? Like, I remember enough about the basic rules, and I know broadly what each of the positions are supposed to do, but I definitely don't have enough knowledge of the game to appreciate what's going on beyond "gently caress, that big man plowed through that defender"

1) If you want to jump in with both feet, you can get all the non-cable games through the NBA League Pass app for $200. Performance can be a mixed bag but console apps generally run fine

2) Houston's going to be fun, good, and probably won't win the title so you won't be a frontrunner. The Timberwolves are probably the basketball hipster choice if you want to follow a fun mediocre team now that should be really good in a few years. Edit: sorry, Milwaukee is definitely the basketball hipster choice

3) I'm trying to remember the name of some site I saw recently that was exactly this, but in the meantime Zach Lowe's articles typically have a lot of videos and in-depth explanation of what's happening on court. Here's something he wrote in the Finals.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Pelicans might be your team if you specifically prefer Bigs doing all the stuff in a league where the average PF is becoming whatever spare wing the team has.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Don't forget Philly for an up-and-coming young team with a lot of fun young guys including an extremely likable big man.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Salvor_Hardin posted:

On the plus side Ojeleye has looked pretty solid.

He has looked like such a loving steal

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Jenny Angel posted:

Depends on your timezone I guess but the east is a graveyard right now. There's the bucks if you want to watch the growth of a rising superstar in giannis. and that's about it. The west has alot better entertaining teams to get into right now: There's the rockets with james harden and d antoni who just added chris paul. There's the unfortunate pelicans who is going try to figure out how to mesh anthony davis and demarcus cousins together. The thunder is on a one year watch to see if the league mvp russell westbrook and one year rental paul george will enjoy their time together enough this year to stay on the team or both move to the lakers. And finally there's the nba champion golden state warriors if you want to bandwagon the heavy title favorites

quote:

This isn't really at all a book about learning the game but it's probably the best book written about the nba so you could check it out if you want to really get yourself immerse into the nba
https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Seconds-Less-Season-Phoenix/dp/0743298136

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Jenny Angel posted:

for big men blocking the poo poo out of stuff, watch the following teams:
Mil. Bucks, NO Pelicans, Miami Heat, probably the Clippers this year too. Lots of big men plowing through defenders on these teams as well (Whiteside on Heat; Cousins/Davis on Pelicans; Antetokounmpo on Bucks). yeah you want to watch these teams. Bucks are probably the most exciting -- Greek Freak is a monster.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Hassan Whiteside gets lots of blocks and the heat roll like 10 deep with almost everyone able to play multiple positions. Dion Waiters has a good players tribune article. Dragic and Tyler Johnson are 1 and 2 in teeth lost per season.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Best big mans in the league ATM are Rudy Gobert (Utah, a fun team but in an unfortunate position after this offseason), Nikola Jokic (Denver, the most fun to watch IMO and a cool team, unlikely to compete but guaranteed to be pretty good), Karl Anthony Towns (Minnesota, made huge moves this year and will probably be extremely good going forward), Joel Embiid (Philly Twitter darling and possible all timer but also possibly will wash out due to injuries without ever playing a single cumulative season, promising young team but basically nothing but unknown quantities), Deandre Jordan (Clippers, perpetual also rans but not likely to be bad anytime soon), and the New Orleans duo of Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins, one a quick and rangy big with a hideous sense of personal grooming and one a widely derided grumpus who is actually cool and good.

Big man talent level has been low compared to the golden age of the nineties until the last couple of years, this crop of guys is almost all from the last 5 drafts. I'd say watch some highlights of them (Rudy, Deandre, and Joel are the blockiest, DeMarcus and Deandre the plow throughiest, and Jokic, Davis, and Karl the slickest) and get a sense of who seems cool to you and that'll narrow it down.

The Bulls are a major shitshow of an organization so that way lies sadness, I know you're in NY now but those teams are not a good way to get involved either. The Knicks do have a decent young big in Kristaps Porzingis, but he's a big step behind the others I've mentioned and the Knicks have terrible management.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dejan Bimble posted:

I got a mic and a spit shield and the whole enchilada, I'll do it

For a second I thought this was a continuation of the previous Zizek joke.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jenny Angel posted:

I use Playstation Vue. in Central IL, and I get p much every Bulls game that's not on WGN. I don't know where you are at but likely it will give you whatever your local RSN is which airs Basketball games. And also ESPN and TNT for the national games.

Pelicans would be a decent choice for you. Utah Jazz could be a good choice with Gobert. Minnesota Timberwolves, or the Sixers.

3. I don't know of any sources, but the best advice I can give you is defocus the basketball, and watch off ball movements, or the defense, more than just whoever has the ball.

Dejan Bimble posted:

For absolute rock bottom basics, search "basketball basics" on youtube, FIBA has some videos to explain basketball to someone who's never seen it. Then you can search like basics of pick and roll, NBA defensive basics. https://www.youtube.com/user/bballbreakdown has detaild info about how players/teams play, a lot of people ahte him, you don't have to agree with his judgements but you can pick up a lot of terminology and strategy from the channel

The league pass option is probably is that the best, but you won't be able to see your local team, the upside is that the bulls are going to be rally bad if you're in the chicago area

Teams to root for: warriors if you like winnning and passing
spurs if you like culture and passing and not winning the championship
new orleans:If you're the type of rear end in a top hat who bets 00 on a roulette wheel
Nets: If you want to get in on the ground floor or a team that might be good in 10 years
Celtics: If you're a jerk
Houston: If you like free throws
Detroit: Want to test your ability to resist sports related suicide
Chicago: If you like the team's owner selling draft picks to fund his baseball team
Knicks: If you want to be frustrated for the rest of James Dolan's natural life
Timberwolves: If you want to get on the bandwagon of a team that might be good and might flame out and shock everyone
Kings: If you like strange outcomes
Dallas: If you like sound strict coaching and the magic ability for bad pgs to become decent
Atlanta: ditto but with wings
Orlando: Probably a bad idea
Milwaukee: If you want to be happy while also not being a frontrunner

And yeah like B-Ball Breakdown, but Nick's editorializing is obnoxious as loving poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

She lives in New York league pass blackouts are a blessing not a curse

Orlando is certainly a bad idea but then again drafting generational bigs is a team tradition, Oscar Isaac is gonna be Dirk on O, Ibaka on D, gonna be sick get in on it

Edit lol oscar Isaac I got movies on the brain. Jonathan Isaac

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

She lives in New York league pass blackouts are a blessing not a curse

Orlando is certainly a bad idea but then again drafting generational bigs is a team tradition, Oscar Isaac is gonna be Dirk on O, Ibaka on D, gonna be sick get in on it

Edit lol oscar Isaac I got movies on the brain. Jonathan Isaac

I forgot about them hiring Jon Hammond and amended my recommendation

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

If you love bigs definitely follow the pelicans

I heavily suggest you follow okc this upcoming season as they provide the most entertaining and dramatic games of all teams and feature the mvp Russell Westbrook with a new star wing (Paul George) after the devious Durant left just a year ago. Also for your love if bigs Steven Adams and Enes Kanter (THE STACHE BROS) are a lovable duo that features very brute defense with Adams and ballet-esque footwork in the post with Kanter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

New NBA fans should cheer for the Kings because I'm the best team ambassador you can have

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Thunder are a poor choice due to garbage rear end jerseys IMO. How you gonna jump on a trash jersey team, no kids in your school were getting hyped for the purple cartoon Rockets it was all Hornets and pinstripe Magic. Ball is about fashion too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Kings do have the most centers on a roster

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

New NBA fans should cheer for the Kings because I'm the best team ambassador you can have

Also Knightman
No word on DayMan though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think the Bucks are the pick:

-- They're in the Eastern Conference, so you won't need to stay up past midnight to catch games
-- They play a very 90s style, not many threes, a bunch of ground-bound big guys and one star that runs the offense mainly by dunking on people
-- They're going to be feeding minutes to a Manute Bol clone this season
-- Good uniforms and cool-looking court design
-- It's a good excuse to buy one of these:

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 10, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Thunder are a poor choice due to garbage rear end jerseys IMO. How you gonna jump on a trash jersey team, no kids in your school were getting hyped for the purple cartoon Rockets it was all Hornets and pinstripe Magic. Ball is about fashion too.

The NBA fashion king wears the jersey so should everyone else :colbert:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

WhyteRyce posted:

Well,
You Are Sacramento

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

She lives in New York

Real talk I forgot for a second that you post in CineD so I was thinking "who is this mega creep", but now I know you're a fellow CineGoon and thus only a minor creep

Thanks for the lovely advice, everyone! I'mma try out some games with the Bucks, Pelicans, and Rockets to start with, and see who I like from there. My reason for these specific three teams is that Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Houston are the three cities I've really enjoyed spending time in, out of the teams recommended to me for more sensible reasons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone needs to begin coming to terms with hearing the name Bryn often in the very near future

https://mobile.twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/884258685630914560

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

Best big mans in the league ATM are Rudy Gobert (Utah, a fun team but in an unfortunate position after this offseason), Nikola Jokic (Denver, the most fun to watch IMO and a cool team, unlikely to compete but guaranteed to be pretty good), Karl Anthony Towns (Minnesota, made huge moves this year and will probably be extremely good going forward), Joel Embiid (Philly Twitter darling and possible all timer but also possibly will wash out due to injuries without ever playing a single cumulative season, promising young team but basically nothing but unknown quantities), Deandre Jordan (Clippers, perpetual also rans but not likely to be bad anytime soon), and the New Orleans duo of Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins, one a quick and rangy big with a hideous sense of personal grooming and one a widely derided grumpus who is actually cool and good.

Big man talent level has been low compared to the golden age of the nineties until the last couple of years, this crop of guys is almost all from the last 5 drafts. I'd say watch some highlights of them (Rudy, Deandre, and Joel are the blockiest, DeMarcus and Deandre the plow throughiest, and Jokic, Davis, and Karl the slickest) and get a sense of who seems cool to you and that'll narrow it down.

The Bulls are a major shitshow of an organization so that way lies sadness, I know you're in NY now but those teams are not a good way to get involved either. The Knicks do have a decent young big in Kristaps Porzingis, but he's a big step behind the others I've mentioned and the Knicks have terrible management.

You can tell whether or not someone has actually seen Utah play recently by seeing if they call them "fun." They have good young players and were really bad recently so people want them to be fun and exciting but they play at the slowest pace in the league and the offense is a slog.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the god-bert is fun but dont watch any of the other players

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is cool in that all he does is dunk and block shots but having to work around his limitations is also the reason they play slow as gently caress so it's a give and take. Also his presence scares other teams out of going into the paint which forces lots of bricked midrange shots and ugly floaters

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
atlanta is going to be really cool and their new GM is extremely smart plus they have a very good coach.

I dunno how they will be next year but I bet they will put something interesting together in a few years

MourningView posted:

You can tell whether or not someone has actually seen Utah play recently by seeing if they call them "fun." They have good young players and were really bad recently so people want them to be fun and exciting but they play at the slowest pace in the league and the offense is a slog.

They are also probably going to be pretty bad next year. Hill and Hayward were their most important offensive players by a huge margin.
It's also stupid to play slowly in Utah because then you lose benefit the elevation gives you over most opponents.

Spite fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 10, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/884267455010316288

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spite posted:

atlanta is going to be really cool and their new GM is extremely smart plus they have a very good coach.

I dunno how they will be next year but I bet they will put something interesting together in a few years

They are also probably going to be pretty bad next year. Hill and Hayward were their most important offensive players by a huge margin.
It's also stupid to play slowly in Utah because then you lose benefit the elevation gives you over most opponents.

Like half the teams in the league will give up after 3 quarters if the other team keeps insisting on playing defense in the regular season so Utah still has a chance to pick up a decent amount of wins.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Welcome! :getin:

If you love flops you've come to the right place

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/kenyon-martin-the-5-players-everyone-hated-playing-against/

lmao i'd never seen that reggie evans nutgrab video. oh this is from april, whatever

Brolander fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 10, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If you rooted for the Bulls during the Jordan years, you need to root for them through the Cameron Payne era, come join the SAS Bulls fans and angrily rant at the front office which has an angry bald coach-choker and what appears to be a weird iguana man, a howdy-doody doofus coach who will literally die if he wears a necktie, and a team that currently has a million useless point guards who can't shoot, a bad big whose only skill is bulging out his eyes to defer predators, and a first-ballot hall of fame legend cashing a check who might actually just sit on the bench with a pina colada while Stacey King attempts to scream warnings at players for leaving Lauri Markkanen alone at the three-point line although he probably won't be able to pronounce Markkanen and Neil Funk probably will call him Larry for the entire season.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Beautiful

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Hell yeah Big Sauce

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/884282002244984832

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Be a Pacers fan. They are right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

The Pelicans might be your team if you specifically prefer Bigs doing all the stuff in a league where the average PF is becoming whatever spare wing the team has.

The reason being that they have two of the arguably top five bigs in the league. Their point guard is solid and won't take possessions from them but everyone else is a one way player and overall not good.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

This is true.

I offer a free game per season @ nola, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just be like every other noobie fan and bandwagon the Warriors.

They are not as big as other teams but they are big enough and are extremely talented and smart and they pass the ball like a video game and play relentless defense and probably no one else is going to have much of a chance to beat them for a few years so rooting for anyone else is likely to be an exercise in frustration.

A huge plus is getting to root for the leagues worst current villain Draymond Green whom I love with all my soul

Downside is enduring all the hatred from other fans, the techbro jokes, plus if you ever get out to the Bay for a game trying to scalp a single ticket in the rafters will cost you more than your first car cost

predicto fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 10, 2017

• Locked thread