Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Spinning at 10,000 RPM.

Hope you weren't planning to rotate your phone in the X or Z plane.

Two counterrotating flywheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

How many novel devices could be powered by radioisotope thermoelectric generators?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Betavoltaic devices are a thing.

They powered pacemakers for decades.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Platystemon posted:

They powered pacemakers for decades.

Don't those guys get special coffins?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wdarkk posted:

Don't those guys get special coffins?

Maybe, but not out of any real need.

The cells are designed to survive cremation. Six feet of dirt won’t hurt them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How many novel devices could be powered by radioisotope thermoelectric generators?

Not many. Thermoelectric generators are only about 10% efficient, so you need a lot of heat for a little bit of power. You will get that little bit of power for several decades, though.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Three-Phase posted:

Jokes on you the phone will be a sphere. You just rotate the phone around the flywheel.

:orb:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/tWsDcYv.mp4

Memento fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 10, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Memento posted:

trees will kill you

Good god. :staredog:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

That's what he gets for not cutting on the printed line.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Were they cutting it down because it was likely to collapse?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Probably, all the branches in frame look dead and there's a lot of visible dry rot as it comes apart.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Every time I see that gif, I can't help but see it as the tree coming to life and trying to walk away.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That tree's personal soundtrack is Linkin Park - One Step Closer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

It has nothing to do with this.

Do me a favour - try snapping a 2cm length of carrot. Report back with how you go.

No that was my point. A finger isn't just a 10 cm bone (or a loose bits of bone) wrapped in meat and that is - in my book at least- a good thing as it makes it more robust.

You people.

Zipperelli. posted:

gently caress, I see now why so many people have you on ignore.

I wonder how much I have to go until I make it to the Posting Gloryhole. Would a mod know?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 10, 2017

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Fun fact, when a tree splits like that it's called "Barber Chair", and if it happens you're about to get a little off the top.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Here's something I've always wondered: Can't you use straps or some other device to put directional pressure on an unstable tree to make it fall in whatever direction you want when you chop it down? It's very impressive to see someone take down a healthy tree by chopping just right, but when the trunk is rotten and basically mush, wouldn't some external assistance be helpful?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

evobatman posted:

Here's something I've always wondered: Can't you use straps or some other device to put directional pressure on an unstable tree to make it fall in whatever direction you want when you chop it down? It's very impressive to see someone take down a healthy tree by chopping just right, but when the trunk is rotten and basically mush, wouldn't some external assistance be helpful?

A falling tree can involve a lot of energy. You don't really want to play around with tensions of that magnitude if you can avoid it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evobatman posted:

It would need to be one drat strong strap and also you'd need to anchor it to something and keep it taut. Not really something that would be convenient or safe to do in an actual forest.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jerry Cotton posted:

It would need to be one drat strong strap and also you'd need to anchor it to something and keep it taut. Not really something that would be convenient or safe to do in an actual forest.

*straps two rotten trees together and stands in the middle tightening the ratchet*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

*straps two rotten trees together and stands in the middle tightening the ratchet*

The lost lumberjack episode of Road Runner.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jerry Cotton posted:

The lost lumberjack episode of Road Runner.

Have there been any Wiley E. Coyote - themed OSHA safety videos? It seems like they'd practically write themselves.

Alternatively, an annotated Roadrunner cartoon flagging safety violations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

evobatman posted:

Yes you can. Apparently this is one way to fell a leaning tree in a different direction than its leaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXjFJlxnyk

But it probably wouldn't have helped with that dry rotted tree.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
rip cameraman

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/884239929009725440

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I'm ... not at all sure what was supposed to be happening in that video. Was that the actual desired outcome?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

null_pointer posted:

I'm ... not at all sure what was supposed to be happening in that video. Was that the actual desired outcome?

No, they just happened to have 6 cameras set up around the area of impact and got lucky when something happened.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

null_pointer posted:

Suspend your disbelief and think that there is a man the driver wants to cripple in the back of that ambulance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wrestling continues to be loving retarded.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDWsWXCen0

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MrYenko posted:

Wrestling continues to be loving awesome.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also thats the second cameraman in six months wwe has killed

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Stolen from the funny pictures thread:

https://i.imgur.com/nBAsepu.mp4

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Stolen from the funny pictures thread:

https://i.imgur.com/nBAsepu.mp4

I'm the terrible diply ad spliced into a gif.
...jesus gently caress, someone took the time to rehost that poo poo on imgur too.

The least you could do is post the guy's video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30InBgGhiSo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCqYsR_2wI

Bus drivers falling asleep at the wheel in Korea? Why I never...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also thats the second cameraman in six months wwe has killed

There's a chance he dodged in a criss cut

Other dude didn't make it out of that burning house though RIP

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
I thought batteries were all gonna get replaced by micro turbines, so your phone could just run off jet fuel.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm too lazy to do it, but somebody calculate the energy density of diesel compared to Li-on and tell me if a pocket diesel USB powersupply is feasible.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Weren't there a few hydrogen fuel cell experiments back in 2015? I remember it being a fad back then, for the iPhone 6 and an external USB battery.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

spog posted:

I'm too lazy to do it, but somebody calculate the energy density of diesel compared to Li-on and tell me if a pocket diesel USB powersupply is feasible.

It's one order of magnitude higher by volume and two orders higher by mass. The issue with using fuels to power electronics has never been the energy density of the fuel, it's always the method of turning that fuel into power. (And with hydrogen, storing the fuel) Fuel cells are only now getting small and light enough to power large-ish quadcopter drones, they're far from powering your cell phone.

I do like the idea of a tiny pocket diesel generator chugging away in your pocket like an angry bee.

e: I found this, which is frankly, poo poo:

http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/minipak

The thing has less energy than a regular Li-ion USB power pack of the same size. If the hydrogen tank were larger, then you might have something, but then it's just a regular old hydrogen fuel cell, no longer a pocket thing.

Anta fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've always wanted a combustion engine right next to my dick, I would feel very powerful with it.