Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jerkface posted:

I'd like the circle to be less of a factor at the end because its not as fun to be worrying about racing the circle as it is shooting at other players.

The circle is there to force movement. Without it positioning becomes far less relevant and no-one is encouraged to keep on the move. Your shooting does not win you games, your positioning does. Shooting is just the baseline to be competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/icELOuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_zU6gkT8k

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 10, 2017

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got my second solo chicken dinner today, M16 with a silencer and a 2x scope feels like cheating. So goddamn good.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just got my first solo chicken dinner, AMK with a 4x scope and an UMP with a holoscope, 7 kills. Was running out of bullets at the very end, but I spotted the fight between the last two guys so I got the drop on the last guy. UMP seems ridiculously good and has good range.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I can't tell whats going on in that video it's way too small!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

nerve posted:

I can't tell whats going on in that video it's way too small!

fixed it.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

puberty worked me over posted:

the reason games are popular is directly related to catering to a massively high skill ceiling combined with highly obfuscated RNG mechanics. It's stupid but it sells games. If people are arguing your RNG mechanics are actually skill based you know you've done it right.
You do a very good impression of a massive dipshit.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Maluco Marinero posted:

The circle is there to force movement. Without it positioning becomes far less relevant and no-one is encouraged to keep on the move. Your shooting does not win you games, your positioning does. Shooting is just the baseline to be competitive.

I think there is still some balancing needed between loot spawns, circle distance and timing. Right now the circle variety is good but you are pretty hosed without a car, and sometimes trying to get a vehicle loses you a lot of potential looting time in early game. It's still pretty fun, but needs some tinkering.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The dickhead circle (3rd or 4th?) Needs to have the blue travel slightly slower than a guy sprinting. Thats probably the worst circle right now. I like cars as an option i don't like them as nearly mandatory right now.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Stuntman posted:

You do a very good impression of a massive dipshit.

Won two squad games tonight because of extremely favorable RNG circle placement on the buildings we camped in.

There's also the huge issue of right side cover shooting in this game. The players with cover to their left to peek right always have an advantage.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lady Galaga posted:

I think there is still some balancing needed between loot spawns, circle distance and timing. Right now the circle variety is good but you are pretty hosed without a car, and sometimes trying to get a vehicle loses you a lot of potential looting time in early game. It's still pretty fun, but needs some tinkering.

I think the tension between looting and travel for the initial few circles is really good for the game. I do wish we could see the first circle earlier, but I get if they want to wait til the plane drop finishes.

Also left versus right cover isn't an "issue" it is part of the skill of positioning yourself.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I finally got around to playing last night for the first time. Extremely fun tense experience, made it to 12 people left before I got killed. Installing it now for my pc steam username Elscorcho4965.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

puberty worked me over posted:

There's also the huge issue of right side cover shooting in this game. The players with cover to their left to peek right always have an advantage.

What? Why?

You realize you can change what shoulder you're looking over, right? Having cover on your right or left doesn't matter - it's the fact that you're in cover.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

What? Why?

You realize you can change what shoulder you're looking over, right? Having cover on your right or left doesn't matter - it's the fact that you're in cover.

Guess what side your gun is on.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zipperelli. posted:

What? Why?

Nah it does matter. Left peek requires you to put the body out further to get the gun barrel past the cover. Right peek the weapon leads, meaning you don't have to expose yourself as much.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Is there a more up to date listing of guns/armor/equipment than what is in the OP? I know the Groza isn't in there, and I feel like there's some other guns missing as well, like the P18C. Also I got my first legit grenade kill today. I popped the grenade, got killed, and the duder died as he tried to loot me.

Check out pubg.me

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

le sole survivor face

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just got 14th because I bounced a grenade off of window bars and killed myself when the indicator showed that I would throw between them. :saddowns:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
How do you hit people with melee attacks in this game?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://streamable.com/hv3s6

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
now that circles have basically no centre weighting, i feel like they should play around with stuff like weighting them around players with kills to reward aggression, letting you see the circle earlier (perhaps before landing) or maybe scaling damage to distance from the edge. any of those might make for a more fun or more balanced (or both) game

my golden rule for this game is "if im driving a car and i see someone within reach driving a car, at least one of us is exploding or dying" and i will chase them to the end of the earth if i have to. it's never steered me wrong

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 10, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

they need more fixed vehicle spawns. i don't mind losing in a fight for the one dacia in severny but i hate ending up in primorsk with only a boat and a circle centered on stalber

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

:perfect:

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Just got 14th because I bounced a grenade off of window bars and killed myself when the indicator showed that I would throw between them. :saddowns:

Last night i had a beast of a game in solo where i was the only one to come out of school and apartments alive. Ended up coming 6th when trying to grenade a guy behind a tree the grenade bounced off the branch of the tree i was using as cover and landed at my feet.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
It actually feels to me as if there are more random vehicles along roads than before they changed the hard spawns, but I do agree that for some reason Primorsk seems to be a terrible place to find a vehicle. I have to say though that I kinda like that there is one area that tends to be lovely in this regard, especially since Primorsk is loot heaven.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the talent deficit posted:

they need more fixed vehicle spawns. i don't mind losing in a fight for the one dacia in severny but i hate ending up in primorsk with only a boat and a circle centered on stalber

there are no fixed spawns at all they got rid of them

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

Most of the vehicle spawns are geared towards the center of the map in general; getting more than one vehicle near Zharki or Georgopol North is generally so impossible we stopped dropping near there.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zipperelli. posted:

What? Why?

It doesn't actually change the position of your gun.

I kinda wish all games had bullets originate from the face, regardless of where the gun looks like it is.

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you think a game shouldn't be balanced by the high end, you are out of your mind.
are you implying that overwatch doesn't have good balance :confused:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

It doesn't actually change the position of your gun.

I kinda wish all games had bullets originate from the face, regardless of where the gun looks like it is.
are you implying that overwatch doesn't have good balance :confused:

Nah I'm glad campers cant peak the tip of their head over cover and shoot me.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I was literally in the middle of nowhere, making my way to the circle when I came across a random shack. I go to walk past it and get mowed down by a guy who had clearly been watching me approach in third person as soon as I walked past it.

My sodium levels were through the roof.

I really dig this game in duo/squad but solo seems to have this unique ability to make me consider uninstalling. Which is strange because I feel like solo should be the most interesting mode.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Really enjoying it, despite the fact that I've only won solo once and occasionally get into the top 10 after what feels like a hundred matches. There are some really weird spawning issues with equipment at times, like walking into a room that has 5 s1897s with ammo and nothing else. At least it makes for added amusement.

Also the Kar98k with 8x is easy mode. The minimum amount of leading can have you stringing together kills like nothing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I really wish the game would actually reliably render stuff out at 500m or more when you have optics cause trying to snipe people from atop the cranes or on the big Georgopol hill is a bit meh when every building looks like a melted wax hellscape.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Watching Grimmz stream, so salty after guy just killed him. Don't know why the need to say so much excuses, as he is such a good player.

benzine fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 10, 2017

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dropping on school has been probably the best advice I've gotten so far. It hasn't made me any better, but the amount of zero kill early deaths I've been getting means that I'm now getting matched with players even worse than me.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to avoid the "cant throw grenade bug"

It's happened to me 3 times and once quite late in the game.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

sum posted:

Dropping on school has been probably the best advice I've gotten so far. It hasn't made me any better, but the amount of zero kill early deaths I've been getting means that I'm now getting matched with players even worse than me.

Reach the bottom and go up from there, also try solo vs squads. You'll get destroyed but will get into more gunfights.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

benzine posted:

Reach the bottom and go up from there, also try solo vs squads. You'll get destroyed but will get into more gunfights.

I'm not a horrible scrub, I think it's just that I had a very conservative play style which meant I was usually finishing in the top third but was being matched against players way better than me. Going out and picking fights has both made the game much more fun and also perversely a lot easier

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
A conservative/safe playstyle is bad both because you simply win fewer games doing it on the short-term (because you will be massively outgeared and outgunned by people who've killed 10 others and looted them) and also because you develop your skills much slower for the long-term.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

The Mash posted:

A conservative/safe playstyle is bad both because you simply win fewer games doing it on the short-term (because you will be massively outgeared and outgunned by people who've killed 10 others and looted them) and also because you develop your skills much slower for the long-term.

Wrong.

Source: Me, Rank 894 NA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm experimenting with streaming a few top ~1k NA solo games at https://www.twitch.tv/deejah if anyone's bored enough to watch. Let me know how the stream runs and how bad I am at this game

• Locked thread