Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The "Oh, Hello" reminded my a lot of the "Bottom Live" shows Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson did in the late 90s/early 00s. Minus all the violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I need to watch it again when not drunk as balls. The only thing I didn't really care for was running the 'we got lance armstrong to do this' thing into the ground. Not quuuuuuite as good as 7 Days in Hell, but what is?

I haven't watched it but I still don't like the idea of them trying to shore up Lance Armstrong's image, because he's a gigantic piece of poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it's a bit off really. I don't know much about the Armstrong thing beyond the headlines, but it doesn't really seem like the kind of story that can be redeemed with a 'my bad, you guys' given all the charity stuff that was undoubtedly affected.

Davros1 posted:

The "Oh, Hello" reminded my a lot of the "Bottom Live" shows Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson did in the late 90s/early 00s. Minus all the violence.

I watched one of those 'Americans Try' things on YouTube, and it was for Bottom. The people they chose just did not get it at all, and it made me a little sad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tour de Pharmacy is really great other than the Armstrong thing which is a completely bizarre blatant misstep.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
CYCLE OF LIES is a pretty good book on Armstrong. Like, there's a reason so many people describe him as being a Sociopath.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love detectives and mysteries but I'm mindful that adaptations aren't always great - should I watch A Nero Wolfe Mystery? I enjoy those novels a lot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BoJack Horseman is back on September 8th.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Now that I watched episode 2 I think that Wynonna Earp is more True Blood than Buffy. Still a great, super fun show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I love detectives and mysteries but I'm mindful that adaptations aren't always great - should I watch A Nero Wolfe Mystery? I enjoy those novels a lot.

They're quite good adaptations. Very low budget and an unusual choice to have the same set of actors playing different characters in each episode, but the mysteries are told well and the core cast of Wolfe, Archie, etc. are excellent. I only wish they could've made more. Seeing them tackle the Zeck trilogy would've been great.

RIP Maury Chaykin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, it's a bit off really. I don't know much about the Armstrong thing beyond the headlines, but it doesn't really seem like the kind of story that can be redeemed with a 'my bad, you guys' given all the charity stuff that was undoubtedly affected.

The thing about Armstrong that pushed him from "lying liar who tells lies" to "unbelievable piece of human garbage" was that he intimidated witnesses and teammates into keeping silent, and for years went scorched-earth on the investigators who were tracking his doping scheme, getting really vitriolic with his attacks, and hired PI firms to dig up dirt on them so he could try to claim they were crooked hucksters just looking for a headline. And then when he came clean, he still never fully admitted everything (lawl if you think he wasn't doping during those comeback years) and totally brushed aside questions about just how awful he was towards investigators for so long. Also, as I understand it, he was making unbelievable amounts of money from his foundation while at the same time purporting to be a clean role model for kids.

gently caress Lance Armstrong.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Professional sports don't have a drug problem, they have a prohibition problem :troll:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Armstrong owns a coffee shop called Juan Pelota (One Ball) in Texas. Redeemed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't see this posted but Battlebots was cancelled, obviously wasn't looking likely at this point but sucks anyway. Last season was the best ever.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

wormil posted:

I didn't see this posted but Battlebots was cancelled, obviously wasn't looking likely at this point but sucks anyway. Last season was the best ever.

Fortunately for you, it is getting rebooted as an anime series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peasBhOWKsY

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Battlebots...cancelled? How is Comedy Central going to fill time between SNL reruns and The Daily Show now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wiki tells me it's starting a new season on the channel "Science" on the 12th

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Battlebots...cancelled? How is Comedy Central going to fill time between SNL reruns and The Daily Show now?

This post reminds me of when I was on summer break in the early 2000s

e: CC bring back Beat the Geeks

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PenguinKnight posted:

e: CC bring back Beat the Geeks

Please sign my Change.org petition requesting a second season of Frank Leaves for the Orient, and also my second petition that demands Comedy Central give it a more culturally sensitive title.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Battebots was actually on ABC the last 2 seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Didn't Battlebots get cancelled 12+ years ago? Did I slip into another Universe while I was asleep AGAIN?

Freddy Highmore was amazing in Tour de Pharmacy, I just wish he had been in it more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is/was a reboot that started in 2015.

Watching through Curb for the first time ever in preparation for the ninth season. I love it! Kinda wanna make a thread for people to discuss the show before it returns but I feel like it'd likely die way before October 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Watching through Curb for the first time ever

I am so loving jealous, I wish I could wipe my memory and do the same.

So you guys weren't kidding about Wynonna Earp, it is super good! "Preacher + Buffy" is otm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(i've already seen all of s7)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Didn't Battlebots get cancelled 12+ years ago? Did I slip into another Universe while I was asleep AGAIN?

Battlebots and other fighting robot leagues are apparently a thing and the intermittent televisation doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else watch Apollo Gauntlet? Its a new Adult Swim show and I can see it having a really specific fanbase. It's very very weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else watch Apollo Gauntlet? Its a new Adult Swim show and I can see it having a really specific fanbase. It's very very weird.

I enjoyed it.

They ran an episode a few months back that was different than the one they showed last night. I wonder if it's going to be run later in the season.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
HOLY gently caress! A new season of Curb!!!

10/1

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

New Curb Your Enthusiasm is like Christmas in July October.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

New Curb Your Enthusiasm is like Christmas in July October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SmoBvg-etU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Man, harsh.

http://www.avclub.com/article/nelsan-ellis-family-shares-his-struggle-alcohol-ad-257905

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The initial report of "complications from heart failure" (Which...no poo poo) made me suspect there was more to the story. Of course there was, and of course it was extremely tragic. poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGomupAJBxo

Man, that first full week of September is going to be some good poo poo. Before this drops on the 10th, we'll have BoJack season 4 on the 8th and You're the Worst Season 4 on the 6th.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad about James Franco(s)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm not trusting an HBO series set in 1970's NYC until at least episode...honestly, probably Season 2 Premiere at this point.

gently caress You, Vinyl.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also David Simon's last two HBO shows were disappointingly dull IMO. The New Orleans one and the one with Oscar Isaac.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also David Simon's last two HBO shows were disappointingly dull IMO. The New Orleans one and the one with Oscar Isaac.

You say "dull," I say "measured." And even if you say "dull," dull has its virtues. For instance, here's something that isn't dull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6yJ-gk2iwI

My point is, I'm pissed that I can't argue against your point and I wanted to give you nightmares for a while.

You're probably thinking, "I'm not clicking that poo poo." But you've seen the title. You can see Tracee Ellis Ross' uncomfortable face. Your imagination will do way more of a number on you than the actual video will. Probably.

(God dammit I love The Gong Show.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 11, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

(God dammit I love The Gong Show.)

I have been delighted by every episode so far but a part of me is dreading the day when Mike Myers inevitably tries to do characters as acts on the show as well as playing the host.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Gong Show is great but Dana Carvey was hells of creepy on it when he tried to grind on the japanese high school girl

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Guy Mann posted:

I have been delighted by every episode so far but a part of me is dreading the day when Mike Myers inevitably tries to do characters as acts on the show as well as playing the host.

I could see him wanting to do it if he thought he could get away with it, but that's the thing: Yeah, it's a taped TV show and there was that whole thing with America's Got Talent, but I'm not sure even Meyers' supposed ego can bust through the fact that this is Stupid Human Tricks the TV Show and not his test kitchen.

But hey, maybe if the show runs long enough, I'll be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

The Gong Show is great but Dana Carvey was hells of creepy on it when he tried to grind on the japanese high school girl

The Master of Disguise is a movie where Dana Carvey's character having a fetish for his mom's fat rear end was not only a plot point but the central conflict between him and his love interest, he has shed shame and dignity in the way that a snake sheds its skin.

• Locked thread