Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Alehkhs posted:

I know they've been in the game for a while, but I just stumbled upon my first generation ship by accident while out doing other things...

Oh wow! Where is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh wow! Where is that?

Spoilered because I found it by accident: It's in the system "Charick Drift".

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alehkhs posted:

Spoilered because I found it by accident: It's in the system "Charick Drift".

Neat these all have little stories that go with them, from the E:D wiki

quote:

Generation Ship Atlas
Generation Ship Atlas was discovered by CMDR Dilliam53 on May 23, 3303. It is located in Charick Drift, orbiting the star Charick Drift A. As Generation Ship Atlas approached its destination, the ship's latest chief engineer, Tom Edwards, discovered that the ship was unable to brake, the result of a manufacturing fault that had gone completely undetected since the ship's construction. It was decided to adjust the Atlas's course and launch all the passengers and vital equipment in escape pods at the target world as the ship flew by it. Since the pod controls required a person to operate them, Edwards volunteered to stay behind, even though his wife Jean was pregnant. With the exception of one pod trying to launch early and exploding, the plan apparently succeeded and the passengers were evacuated thanks to Edwards' sacrifice. The ship's captain pledged to name their colony after him. The Atlas continued traveling for an unknown amount of time before finally running out fuel and coming to rest at its present location.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Neat these all have little stories that go with them, from the E:D wiki

Yeah, there's audio logs that you can scan and listen to that tell the story. As a fan of old-time radio, it was a really neat experience.

Another Commander has been putting together nice clips combining well-shot footage of the ships with their audio logs. Here's a link to the one for this particular ship.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 10, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Its been posted in the thread days since past, but the audio design for this game is great. Don't the stations give off their names in morse code or is that nav beacons?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So I did it, I went full airwolf with the DBS. 2 small cannons and 2 medium multi-cannons, with chaff launchers. Needs to go back to the station quite often but it's a lot of fun. The cannons do a surprising amount of damage.

I think once this CG is over, I will go back into more populated space again and get a Type-6 or an Asp to make some better money.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That's the first and last time I pick up a passenger that's wanted in multiple systems. As soon as I leave the dock, ship scan detected and was promptly destroyed in about 3 seconds.

The extra money is really not worth it, especially not with a rebuy of 600,000.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You can drop a heatsink to stop a scan, or go to silent running.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

While the scan is running? I just installed my first heatsink, but mostly for when I accidentally fly too close to a star while out surveying.

Speaking of, I wish there was an option that automatically sets your throttle to 0% while jumping. Right now I manually throttle back while looking at my hand to be sure the game registered the button press.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 10, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

John F Bennett posted:

While the scan is running?

Yep.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

John F Bennett posted:

While the scan is running? I just installed my first heatsink, but mostly for when I accidentally fly to close to a star while out surveying.

Speaking of, I wish there was an option that automatically sets your throttle to 0% while jumping. Right now I manually throttle back while looking at my hand to be sure the game registered the button press.

Ostensibly if the E:D window loses focus on PC after the jump countdown completes it'll auto-set your throttle to 0, but that feature has been lost/regained/lost again by FDev's horrible merge discipline so it's a gamble.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How's the Oculus for ED? It's on sale with touch controllers at the moment for $/£399.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Mad Wack posted:

is it worth doing these planetary scan missions? getting around (literally) a planet seems really time consuming no matter if its a ship or srv

They're Elite missions, they're horrible by definition. But if you really want to grind faction rank - and make at least some money while having a go at it - the planetary scan missions, especially follow-ups, give both good rank increase and good money. They're effective, because you can autocomplete a stack of them by scanning a single data point. At the expense of "having fun", of course.

edit: I need to be crystal-clear on this: If you are new to the game, do not start the faction rank grind. Just don't.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

alphabettitouretti posted:

How's the Oculus for ED? It's on sale with touch controllers at the moment for $/£399.

Yes it's great. As long as you have at least a GTX970.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

alphabettitouretti posted:

One of, if not the best full game for the Rift. It totally changes everything and I cannot speak highly enough about it.
I never ever play not in VR, it's a vastly more huge experience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

El Perkele posted:

edit: I need to be crystal-clear on this: If you are new to the game, do not start the faction rank grind. Just don't.

This. The decent ships are big bucks anyways, don't kill yourself on this until you're good and ready for it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TomR posted:

Yes it's great. As long as you have at least a GTX970.

Yeah no worries there, I've got a 1070. My CPU is apparently below the rec min (i5 2500k, rather than the 4th gen they say) but it should be okay I reckon, there's such a small difference between those generations and it handles games at high settings on a 1440p display just fine.

peter gabriel posted:

One of, if not the best full game for the Rift. It totally changes everything and I cannot speak highly enough about it.
I never ever play not in VR, it's a vastly more huge experience.

Sweet. It will go well with my buttkicker.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

El Perkele posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem worth it. I could go for the corvette if it wasn't a soul-crushing several month-long (!) grind for someone with occasional game time. I'll wait until some neat trick is found or Frontier decides to dial back on the grindyness (right, because that will totally happen).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I just want to go to Sol. How long will that take me and is there a tactic on getting there quick?

Should I just pick 1 faction and stay there to up my rep with them for better missions? Or should I spread around?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem worth it. I could go for the corvette if it wasn't a soul-crushing several month-long (!) grind for someone with occasional game time. I'll wait until some neat trick is found or Frontier decides to dial back on the grindyness (right, because that will totally happen).

The tricks are the Quince/Wu Guinyagi/Aditi/Sothis/Nie Hsing etc. runs, where you can rank up from Recruit to Ensign in couple of days. And it's so booooriiiing.

When it comes to ships, the Eagle-Adder-Viper-Cobra-T6-Vulture-AspX gives a great sense of accomplishment and you'll have fun doing that, because you'll just do whatever you want and make progress. The rank-locked ships are a cancer. I miss the days when I was A-rating my Cobra Mk. III and learning the ropes.

John F Bennett posted:

I just want to go to Sol. How long will that take me and is there a tactic on getting there quick?

Should I just pick 1 faction and stay there to up my rep with them for better missions? Or should I spread around?

Start by getting yourself in good terms with Sirius Corporation faction and grab a Sirius permit while you're at it. This will come in handy. This should give you a rank, maybe rank and a half. You definitely want to get your rank up to Allied with your chosen factions, because you get more missions that way.

The Get There Quick tactic is to find the current hot thing in rank grind. I stand by my position that no one should do rep grind if they're just starting, but in the end it's not my choice.
Sothis/Ceos runs seem to be the most popular, Niu Hsing is dependent on the boom state, Ochosi/Chakpa comes up quite often, and some people just prefer Barnard's Star for variety.

Alternatively... you could ask someone who already has the Sol permit to take you for a sightseeing trip! That way you get to see the place and you don't burn yourself out trying to accomplish it :) (Assuming you're new, of course.)

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 10, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of what I've been doing so far is hauling missions and the occasional high-payout rover shenanigans for whoever's in the system I'm currently in, is this the right thing to be doing if what I have is a high cargo capacity ship and what I want is money?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 10, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The latter never, but the former happens with not-at-all-surprising frequency.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Most of what I've been doing so far is cargo missions and the occasional high-payout rover shenanigans for whoever's in the system I'm currently in, is this the right thing to be doing if what I have is a high cargo capacity ship and what I want is money?

How much cargo capacity are we talking about? You'll want to maximize your credits per hour. Maybe bulk trading?

Trading in bulk is a good way to get bucks if you can cover the expenses first. A good legal hop route can net you approximately 4800-5200 cr/ton/loop, and if you find such a route with a short distance between the points, you can loop 4-6 times per hour (sometimes more). Often, you'll get lower profit, so let's round down for 4100cr/ton and 4 loops per hour. Using the values, we'll say 16kcr/ton/hour. As said, this is the lower ballpark. With these assumptions, a 100 ton cargo space would give you a gross income of 1.6mil/hour (low range). Are you doing better or worse than that? Do you think you could do better, after referring to sites like EDDB.com?

I can find routes with 5,2k cr/ton, 42Ly between the two, and stations which are 8 and 327ls away from nav point. That would ramp your loops up to 8 or so, giving a 100-ton cargo ship 4mil cr/hr.

Bulk trading is also boring, so consider that as well.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Don't try the grind unless one of the Gold Rushes comes along (Sothis was how I got my corvette rank). Just fly around and play like normal, but be sure to pick up the random faction donation and navy missions you see. Donations all give the same percentage (1 mission complete = 1 mission complete for rank, they aren't weighted against each other in any way I can tell), so pick a threshold based on your personal wealth and have at it. Definitely always do the donation mission that are <100k credits and the 25k and 50k ones are like the DragonBallz these days. Every 25k donation mission provides the same rank gain as the million credit ones.
:eng101:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

El Perkele posted:

With these assumptions, a 100 ton cargo space would give you a gross income of 1.6mil/hour (low range). Are you doing better or worse than that?

That sounds like what I'm doing now that missions paying between 100K and 200K are common. I'm flying a Type 6 with 88 tons of space but I made enough and I'm about to upgrade and go do something else.

quote:

Bulk trading is also boring, so consider that as well.

This is a big reason I'm not trying to minmax commodity routes, yeah.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Don't do max profit per hour. Just do stuff that's fun. Maybe hit all the CGs so you get a payout when they finish. Early game is the most fun anyway.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

That sounds like what I'm doing now that missions paying between 100K and 200K are common. I'm flying a Type 6 with 88 tons of space but I made enough and I'm about to upgrade and go do something else.

Always remember that this game can easily become a second work if you give it a chance. All old-timers have PTSD from some inane grind - engineering materials, rank, money, you name it. Never, ever get stuck doing something you hate just because you think the results will somehow be worth it (you'll eventually end up doing that anyways, but at that point you're already a soulless husk)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Every 25k donation mission provides the same rank gain as the million credit ones.
:eng101:

AAAAAAAAaahahahahahaha oh god that is peak Frontier

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

AAAAAAAAaahahahahahaha oh god that is peak Frontier

No, peak Frontier was reached when they responded by saying that they do give different rank increases. Sometimes I wonder if they even play the game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

John F Bennett posted:

I just set d-pad down as my "set throttle to 0" button, never had any problems. Sounds like you might be on a flight stick though and I have no clue on the button layouts for those.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

No, I'm on a ps4 with a gamepad. I bound the bumpers for zero throttle. It's still a chore to press them down every jump.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Anyone know if follow on missions are bugged? I have the requisite faction rep, the recommended skill rank and the required hardware but accept is red. I've logged off and back on, issue persists

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

No, I'm on a ps4 with a gamepad. I bound the bumpers for zero throttle. It's still a chore to press them down every jump.

I put it on the bumpers too, but mostly so I could use it during landing. When jumping I just nudge the stick enough to miss the star.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

John F Bennett posted:

That's the first and last time I pick up a passenger that's wanted in multiple systems. As soon as I leave the dock, ship scan detected and was promptly destroyed in about 3 seconds.

The extra money is really not worth it, especially not with a rebuy of 600,000.

These are basically the smuggling equivalent for passenger missions. The idea is to force you to go silent running when coming into or going out of a station. A heatsink will also break another ship's scan, but you have to be quick and launch heatsink as soon as you see "scan detected." it'd be worth it to watch YouTube vids on the subject. Although I do think it's rather dumb that a simple scan reveals the identity of any passengers like I wouldn't be doctoring a fake manifest if I'm transporting wanted folks.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Krycek posted:

These are basically the smuggling equivalent for passenger missions. The idea is to force you to go silent running when coming into or going out of a station. A heatsink will also break another ship's scan, but you have to be quick and launch heatsink as soon as you see "scan detected." it'd be worth it to watch YouTube vids on the subject. Although I do think it's rather dumb that a simple scan reveals the identity of any passengers like I wouldn't be doctoring a fake manifest if I'm transporting wanted folks.

I wish you could have a hacked cargo list to get into stations care free when smuggling items too.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There should be prisons, where you have to sit out your sentence in REAL TIME.

And bars. Where are the bars in these stations?

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Anyone know if follow on missions are bugged? I have the requisite faction rep, the recommended skill rank and the required hardware but accept is red. I've logged off and back on, issue persists

Working now, don't know if it just took time to update (the time it took to register a frontier account) or if redeeming a data credit voucher thing did it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

El Perkele posted:

The Get There Quick tactic is to find the current hot thing in rank grind. I stand by my position that no one should do rep grind if they're just starting, but in the end it's not my choice.
Sothis/Ceos runs seem to be the most popular, Niu Hsing is dependent on the boom state, Ochosi/Chakpa comes up quite often, and some people just prefer Barnard's Star for variety.

What do these words mean? Are they star systems or factions?

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Don't know if this note was in the tadpole's engineering guide, because if it was, I missed it...

When you go looking for Palin, bring a discovery scanner, because apparently without it your sophisticated interstellar spaceship is incapable of even registering the planet moon thing he's on (while you're orbiting said planet moon thing), let alone allowing you to call him on the electric loving telephone and asking for his address because he bloody invited you and you have all this broken alien poo poo he wanted.

Edit: I did have a detailed surface scanner which did nothing.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Been away, and busy. Just getting back into this. Just bought a fuel scoop, yay!

I just took a decent mission that says go find 6 units of SIlver from a Suitable Market and return them to the space station.

I thought it said to access the Trade Routes to find a good price or whatever. I just accessed trade routes and got a ton of colored lines... I bought Trade Data for 100 Credits from a random destination on one of those lines. How do I utilize this into, and generally commodity-trade?

• Locked thread