Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GEMorris posted:

This right loving here.

It's clear from GPs posts that he has zero first hand experience with poverty. Sometimes you have to go into debt or you starve. That can mean something as small as a car repair bill on the only credit card anyone will give you that charges 20%+ interest rates, that will literally take you years to pay off. But your choices are die of starvation or get a means of transportation to work.

I grew up poor, I lived a good bit of my life poor, and I'm barely middle class now thanks to the education and other debts I took on during my path to get where I am now. Some of those debts were my mistake, some were medical emergencies (my wife was bitten by a copperhead), some were beneficial, and some were what I would call predatory, but the idea that I could and should just choose to take none of them on is downright laughable.

Banks went out and huckstered the shittiest loans to the people with the least ability to understand their ramifications (thanks to an underfunded educational system you probably also hate). And you think the people that got suckered are to blame rather than the hucksters who built a paper castle out of lies.

Ah, so you're saying you *chose* not to starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If only more people chose to eat the rich.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

GEMorris posted:

This right loving here.

It's clear from GPs posts that he has zero first hand experience with poverty. Sometimes you have to go into debt or you starve. That can mean something as small as a car repair bill on the only credit card anyone will give you that charges 20%+ interest rates, that will literally take you years to pay off. But your choices are die of starvation or get a means of transportation to work.

I grew up poor, I lived a good bit of my life poor, and I'm barely middle class now thanks to the education and other debts I took on during my path to get where I am now. Some of those debts were my mistake, some were medical emergencies (my wife was bitten by a copperhead), some were beneficial, and some were what I would call predatory, but the idea that I could and should just choose to take none of them on is downright laughable.

Banks went out and huckstered the shittiest loans to the people with the least ability to understand their ramifications (thanks to an underfunded educational system you probably also hate). And you think the people that got suckered are to blame rather than the hucksters who built a paper castle out of lies.

Did you go out and buy a house because your wife was bitten by a snake as Cerebral Bore seems to think people do? Because I'm having some difficulty seeing the connection between subprime mortgages and all these events that forced you into debt.

If the original argument was that borrowers have no moral responsibility for the crisis because they are forced to borrow, then at least one of you should have some reason why people taking mortgages had no choice.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Geriatric Pirate posted:

If the original argument was that borrowers have no moral responsibility for the crisis because they are forced to borrow, then at least one of you should have some reason why people taking mortgages had no choice.

fyi at least in German law there is an assumed bound of rationality for borrowers, and the law protects irational borrowers from being taken advantage of

i.e. the law knows that there are people that don't know how to borrow so they can pay the money back (and from personal experience this is a constant and can happen to anyone)

if you have a law that doesn't do this you wind up with the subprime crisis (which btw led to Greece's problems, it wasn't Greece's borrowing)

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 10, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I too don't understand why the trained professionals in the field are more responsible for the loans they give out than the random people who take out those loans.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Because this is a Just World and if people could just be poor because of circumstances that would mean that I, the wealth-sycophant middle-class, am merely lucky instead of the vastly competent uber-human being that I clearly am.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fyi at least in German law there is an assumed bound of rationality for borrowers, and the law protects irational borrowers from being taken advantage of

i.e. the law knows that there are people that don't know how to borrow so they can pay the money back (and from personal experience this is a constant and can happen to anyone)

if you have a law that doesn't do this you wind up with the subprime crisis (which btw led to Greece's problems, it wasn't Greece's borrowing)

The US has very strong protections against misleading borrowing. The crisis still happened. The EU had rules in place to stop Greeces borrowing. The crisis still happened. The laws argue that a small minority of people get misled, not that most people taking loans are unaware of what they're doing. You're doing the Guardian thing of taking something that could plausibly affect maybe 1 or 2% of mortgage borrowers and extrapolating it to the entite population, most of whom took mortgages willingly while being as reasonably informed as can be.

Futuresight posted:

I too don't understand why the trained professionals in the field are more responsible for the loans they give out than the random people who take out those loans.
So you're saying that as long as you interact with someone more competent than you in any field you're completely devoid of agency and any responsibility? And how does this work in the context of Greece, where a sophisticated government borrowed from less sophisticated pension funds and savers, including through fraud?

Edit: that's not to mention that the biggest risks with mortgage lending are typically related to borrowers having more info about their repayment ability than lenders, not vice versa. Of course lenders bear responsibility for not screening borrowers adequately, but to solely blame banks instead of a mix of policy makers, borrowers and lenders is just he typical knee jerk "hurrrr banks!!!" reaction

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 10, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually let me tell you about how I totally see poor people as bleep bloop rational robotspeople and therefore totally deserving of anything that happens to them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Is "People deserve anything that happens to them" really the line you want to go with here?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Orange Devil posted:

Is "People deserve anything that happens to them" really the line you want to go with here?

Kill all humans, maximise suffering :black101:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

So you're saying that as long as you interact with someone more competent than you in any field you're completely devoid of agency and any responsibility? And how does this work in the context of Greece, where a sophisticated government borrowed from less sophisticated pension funds and savers, including through fraud?

Edit: that's not to mention that the biggest risks with mortgage lending are typically related to borrowers having more info about their repayment ability than lenders, not vice versa. Of course lenders bear responsibility for not screening borrowers adequately, but to solely blame banks instead of a mix of policy makers, borrowers and lenders is just he typical knee jerk "hurrrr banks!!!" reaction

People should be able to trust in licensed lenders the same way they should be able to trust in licensed food vendors. If you wilfully withhold relevant information from a lender then whatever that's your fault and your problem, but you should be able to trust that a loan is good if a lender is willing to lend to you after given full knowledge of your situation. The same as you should be able to trust that food sold to you is safe. And that there isn't lead paint on your kids' toys. Etc. The person selling the thing needs to be the one to analyse it for suitability and safety. We can't expect every person to be an expert in every field, so we expect the people in each individual field to be experts in theirs instead and put responsibility on them.

Additionally, the biggest risk to a mortgage might be the borrower having more information, but a single mortgage isn't going to lead to systemic failure. It's basically impossible for a single person outside of the financial industry to cause any harm beyond themselves as even a complete write-off of their loan will be lost in the noise. Plus, bad loans are not a systemic problem if they are correctly assessed and used appropriately by the financial industry. There's nothing inherently wrong with any risk profile so long as it fits your investment strategy. The problem wasn't a bunch of sub-prime loans, the problem was the mischaracterisation of those loans and their derivatives. It allowed/caused banks to misjudge their risk and leverage behind much weaker assets than they appeared in the balance sheets and caused pension funds and whatnot to purchase assets much riskier than they wanted. This narrative of blaming sub-prime borrowers for the crash is both morally and factually wrong.

Also yeah, gently caress Greece, but the Greek people had very little control over what happened. If you could somehow punish a state without punishing its people then I'd be all over that. But you can't. And as much as we pretend our governments are democratic they are very much not, and people have very little power, and thus responsibility, over what their governments do unless they're in government.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 10, 2017

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The US has very strong protections against misleading borrowing.

The rules in place are only as good as the degree to which they get enforced. But the global financial crisis showed that Regulation and supervision of the banks failed at all levels. The Bush administration was not at all interested in protecting borrowers from predatory lenders, which is how you got e.g. Wells Fargoo systematically pushing minority borrowers into subprime loans. State courts were not interested in protecting borrowers, which is how you got the phenomenon of foreclosure mills.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The crisis still happened. The EU had rules in place to stop Greeces borrowing. The crisis still happened. The laws argue that a small minority of people get misled, not that most people taking loans are unaware of what they're doing.

Daniel Kahnemann got the Nobel Prize in Economics for experimental research showing that people are in fact systematically and predictably irrational in all sorts of ways when it comes to economic behaviour. The problem of greed, of course, was discovered far earlier than that. Those affected by these shortcomings include even people who really should know better. Yes, people can be greedy and stupid, which is why it is the job of bankers to tell them they can't have what they want. Bankers failed entirely, and systematically, in doing so because, surprise!, they were greedy and stupid too, and they could dump the risk of non-repayment on some foreign pension fund by packaging up their loans into CDOs .

The GFC was not caused by poor people wanting to buy bigger houses than they could afford. It was caused by the Fed pumping far too much cheap money into a system where people could keep up with the Joneses only by borrowing, and by the financial industry taking advantage of a complete absence of prudential supervision. So given how hard firms at all levels in the financial industry worked to profit off from people, from the mortgage originators handing out loans that could never be repaid, to the investment banks packaging these into CDOs, to the rating agencies stamping these with AAA-ratings, to the financial geniuses offloading their risks to others with credit-default swaps, to the Bush administration and Congress turning a blind eye to this because campaign donations, the moral blame to be assigned for the crisis to individual borrowers should be very, very, very, far down the list.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Futuresight posted:

People should be able to trust in licensed lenders the same way they should be able to trust in licensed food vendors. If you wilfully withhold relevant information from a lender then whatever that's your fault and your problem, but you should be able to trust that a loan is good if a lender is willing to lend to you after given full knowledge of your situation. The same as you should be able to trust that food sold to you is safe. And that there isn't lead paint on your kids' toys. Etc. The person selling the thing needs to be the one to analyse it for suitability and safety. We can't expect every person to be an expert in every field, so we expect the people in each individual field to be experts in theirs instead and put responsibility on them.

Additionally, the biggest risk to a mortgage might be the borrower having more information, but a single mortgage isn't going to lead to systemic failure. It's basically impossible for a single person outside of the financial industry to cause any harm beyond themselves as even a complete write-off of their loan will be lost in the noise. Plus, bad loans are not a systemic problem if they are correctly assessed and used appropriately by the financial industry. There's nothing inherently wrong with any risk profile so long as it fits your investment strategy. The problem wasn't a bunch of sub-prime loans, the problem was the mischaracterisation of those loans and their derivatives. It allowed/caused banks to misjudge their risk and leverage behind much weaker assets than they appeared in the balance sheets and caused pension funds and whatnot to purchase assets much riskier than they wanted. This narrative of blaming sub-prime borrowers for the crash is both morally and factually wrong.

Also yeah, gently caress Greece, but the Greek people had very little control over what happened. If you could somehow punish a state without punishing its people then I'd be all over that. But you can't. And as much as we pretend our governments are democratic they are very much not, and people have very little power, and thus responsibility, over what their governments do unless they're in government.

Thanks for the logical answer btw. Refreshing.

In terms of responsibility - people should be able to trust lenders to not defraud them but just like food vendors don't have a responsibility to tell you you're getting fat, lenders don't have a responsibility to ensure that a client uses the funds for something wise. This is slightly complicated by the fact that in general, incentives are aligned (lenders want borrowers to use the money on something wise so they too can get repaid) and often banks will have something similar to a fiduciary obligation because they also take deposits and sell investments, but I don't see why it's a bank's responsibility to tell any individual that they're underestimating their own income risks for example. What is suitability in lending, anyway? Should a bank be rejecting customers who have solid credit and want to buy a house if the bank feels that the housing market is overvalued? I mean for reasons outside of their own credit risk, that is. It's a bank's job to make sure that the borrower understands things like variable interest rates and discloses all the fees, but the bank is not responsible for telling someone that they might not want to take a personal loan to expand a really dumb business idea, because it's the individuals own choice. A simple example related to this is what if someone with extreme risk aversion comes to a bank and requests a fixed rate mortgage in a place where most loans are floating rate? If issuing a fixed rate mortgage is super costly compared to floating rates, should the bank tell the person that there is a 95% chance that the floating rate will never exceed the fixed rate or facilitate what the client wants? My view is that the bank's responsibility ends when both options are explained to the client without any fraud or obfuscation.

You're right about the 2008 crisis and why risk is not the endo of the world. But you could just as well apply the same logic to any individual bank (i.e. any individual bank should be allowed to take risks that might cause it to fail) and then blame regulators and ratings agencies. In the end though everyone had bad incentives. Borrowers have an incentive to take as much debt that they wouldn't normally qualify for, mortgage originators had an incentive to originate as much as possible, ratings agencies had an incentive to rate stuff as highly as possible, lazy pension fund managers had an incentive to not do their homework and just trust the agencies.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The rules in place are only as good as the degree to which they get enforced. But the global financial crisis showed that Regulation and supervision of the banks failed at all levels. The Bush administration was not at all interested in protecting borrowers from predatory lenders, which is how you got e.g. Wells Fargoo systematically pushing minority borrowers into subprime loans. State courts were not interested in protecting borrowers, which is how you got the phenomenon of foreclosure mills.
Your first link makes no mention of Wells Fargo at all or banks "forcing" (or even aggressively marketing. edit: there is a bit about banks having sales targets and mis-selling yield spread loans to customers, fair enough. but I wonder how prevalent this was in the wider picture) mortgages to people who shouldn't have got them. Instead it talks about how lending standards were relaxed. This is not an example of anyone being forced to take a loan, this is an example of loans being made to people who want them but should not get them. So then the question is: Whose "fault" is it? Neither the lending bank nor the borrower had the right incentives to screen borrower quality.

The second link has some examples of inappropriate loans being pushed aggressively, which I agree is a problem. However, none of the examples mentions mortgages. I understand why someone might be "forced" to take on medical debt or debt to pay the IRS as an example (though bankruptcy is always an option). However, what is still missing is an example of why someone might feel forced to buy a house. It's a bit telling that no one has yet provided any kind of reasoning for why someone lacks agency when making a huge financial decision like that.

quote:

Daniel Kahnemann got the Nobel Prize in Economics for experimental research showing that people are in fact systematically and predictably irrational in all sorts of ways when it comes to economic behaviour. The problem of greed, of course, was discovered far earlier than that. Those affected by these shortcomings include even people who really should know better. Yes, people can be greedy and stupid, which is why it is the job of bankers to tell them they can't have what they want. Bankers failed entirely, and systematically, in doing so because, surprise!, they were greedy and stupid too, and they could dump the risk of non-repayment on some foreign pension fund by packaging up their loans into CDOs .
The "bankers" (ie financial sector) also bought the mortgages, or at least kept them on their books, suggesting that they are also irrational (not to mention there's a lot of evidence suggesting that they, and regulators, are subject to the same biases). Why is it that this absolves one part of the blame but not the other?

quote:

The GFC was not caused by poor people wanting to buy bigger houses than they could afford. It was caused by the Fed pumping far too much cheap money into a system where people could keep up with the Joneses only by borrowing, and by the financial industry taking advantage of a complete absence of prudential supervision. So given how hard firms at all levels in the financial industry worked to profit off from people, from the mortgage originators handing out loans that could never be repaid, to the investment banks packaging these into CDOs, to the rating agencies stamping these with AAA-ratings, to the financial geniuses offloading their risks to others with credit-default swaps, to the Bush administration and Congress turning a blind eye to this because campaign donations, the moral blame to be assigned for the crisis to individual borrowers should be very, very, very, far down the list.
Kind of addressed this in the previous post. It's similar to whether the blame for obesity lies with the people who eat or with McDonald's or with health regulators. My argument is that it lies with all of them.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 10, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

blowfish posted:

Kill all humans, maximise suffering :black101:

Kill all humans, minimize suffering :commissar:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

I know that on the blessed day that the bankers and their lobbyists will be carted off to the guillotine under the cheer of the crowd, everything that happens then will be fully deserved.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

What is suitability in lending, anyway? Should a bank be rejecting customers who have solid credit and want to buy a house if the bank feels that the housing market is overvalued? I mean for reasons outside of their own credit risk, that is. It's a bank's job to make sure that the borrower understands things like variable interest rates and discloses all the fees, but the bank is not responsible for telling someone that they might not want to take a personal loan to expand a really dumb business idea, because it's the individuals own choice. A simple example related to this is what if someone with extreme risk aversion comes to a bank and requests a fixed rate mortgage in a place where most loans are floating rate? If issuing a fixed rate mortgage is super costly compared to floating rates, should the bank tell the person that there is a 95% chance that the floating rate will never exceed the fixed rate or facilitate what the client wants? My view is that the bank's responsibility ends when both options are explained to the client without any fraud or obfuscation.

Of course banks should consider rejecting customers with solid credit in an overvalued housing market, because it means the collateral on their loan is likely to lose value. People might be good credit risks now but they can die or get sick. Of course they should also reject people for personal loans to expand a dumb business idea, because it means the loan will likely not be repaid. I'm not even expecting banks to act as moral agents here; I'm expecting them to act in their own enlightened self-interest and do their loving job.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Your first link makes no mention of Wells Fargo at all or banks "forcing" (or even aggressively marketing. edit: there is a bit about banks having sales targets and mis-selling yield spread loans to customers, fair enough. but I wonder how prevalent this was in the wider picture) mortgages to people who shouldn't have got them. Instead it talks about how lending standards were relaxed. This is not an example of anyone being forced to take a loan, this is an example of loans being made to people who want them but should not get them. So then the question is: Whose "fault" is it? Neither the lending bank nor the borrower had the right incentives to screen borrower quality.

The second link has some examples of inappropriate loans being pushed aggressively, which I agree is a problem. However, none of the examples mentions mortgages. I understand why someone might be "forced" to take on medical debt or debt to pay the IRS as an example (though bankruptcy is always an option). However, what is still missing is an example of why someone might feel forced to buy a house. It's a bit telling that no one has yet provided any kind of reasoning for why someone lacks agency when making a huge financial decision like that.
The "bankers" (ie financial sector) also bought the mortgages, or at least kept them on their books, suggesting that they are also irrational (not to mention there's a lot of evidence suggesting that they, and regulators, are subject to the same biases). Why is it that this absolves one part of the blame but not the other?
Kind of addressed this in the previous post. It's similar to whether the blame for obesity lies with the people who eat or with McDonald's or with health regulators. My argument is that it lies with all of them.

I am not arguing that people were 'forced' to take out loans in the sense that bankers put guns to people's heads and made them sign on the dotted line. If that's your understanding of 'force' then I should probably stop arguing with you. Anyway, plenty of people took out bigger loans than they should have, in the entirely mistaken expectation that housing prices would rise forever. However, there are simple and entirely innocent explanations for why people might feel forced to buy a house: namely, you have to live *somewhere*, there might not be houses available for rent at any affordable price or without being on a waiting list for a decade, you're moving somewhere for work or you're moving in together with your partner, or you have a kid on the way and you need a place big enough to start a family in, and besides, the mortgage advisor you're talking to tells you that it's entirely affordable, that prices are still rising so you'd be stupid not to be buying now and invest in your future, and hey, you can always flip your house before the principal comes due, and also, the government gives you a nice tax break on your mortgage bill if you buy a house instead of renting.

Long story short, people wanting to buy houses is an entirely normal and predictable phenomenon, so complaining about people wanting to buy houses is as useful as shouting at the clouds for raining on you. So if Joe Blow wants to buy a house, you end up with a business deal where on one side you have a bank, which is in the business of deciding who is a good credit risk, and which for the purpose of making good loans employs mathematicians, economists, econometricians, finance people, statisticians, actuaries, lawyers , marketeers, and salespeople, all of whom do that work on a daily basis, and on the other side you have Joe Blow, who's unlikely to have had any serious training in personal finance, and who is likely to be signing a mortgage for the first time in his life, then if the deal goes bad and Joe Blow is unable to make even his first principal repayment, you better believe I will blame the 'bankers' first, second, third and fourth, and then the regulators for allowing this stuff to happen, and then the politicians who allowed themselves to be bought by the banks. At some point I will also yell at Joe Blow that he's an idiot, perhaps. But people making stupid economic decisions, particularly during a bubble, is as old as time itself. If the management of money however is your profession, and you get paid a shitload of money for doing so, you're going to be held to a higher standard. You can claim that the blame should be shared but then it should be something like 95% one way and 5% the other or whatever.

Anyway, I linked to stories on Wells Fargo, which was just one example, and other scandals in my previous post.If you're interested in finding out how much the misbehaviour of the financial industry contributed to the mortgage market meltdown, I can recommend reading the full US Senate Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission report which is actually eminently readable despite being over 700 pages.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 10, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Do ratings agencies have a responsibility to not rate total loving garbagefires as AAA securities?

What about the banks leveraging their market position by demanding those AAA ratings on poo poo they know is garbage or else taking their business to a competing ratings agency? Do they have a responsibility to, you know, not do that?

Because this is what literally happened. Products were offered on the market as 1 thing by both the offering party and a supposedly independent ratings agency while in fact they were an entirely different thing.

Do you think maybe being able to sell hot garbage as a solid investment incentivised the banks to shovel as many people as possible into hot garbage mortgages? And do you think maybe they jumped on this opportunity to enrich themselves through what any reasonable person would conclude is both blatantly fraudulous and unethical? You know, just mmmmaaaaaybe?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Orange Devil posted:

Do ratings agencies have a responsibility to not rate total loving garbagefires as AAA securities?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/14/moodys-864m-penalty-for-ratings-in-run-up-to-2008-financial-crisis

Well, Moody's paid 864m dollars for misrating, and S&P paid over 1bn, but of course there was no finding of wrong-doing or admission of guilt at the settlement.

quote:

In incriminating e-mail after incriminating e-mail, executives and analysts from these companies are caught admitting their entire business model is crooked.

"Lord help our loving scam . . . this has to be the stupidest place I have worked at," writes one Standard & Poor's executive. "As you know, I had difficulties explaining 'HOW' we got to those numbers since there is no science behind it," confesses a high-ranking S&P analyst. "If we are just going to make it up in order to rate deals, then quants [quantitative analysts] are of precious little value," complains another senior S&P man. "Let's hope we are all wealthy and retired by the time this house of card[s] falters," ruminates one more.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-last-mystery-of-the-financial-crisis-20130619

On the other hand, they tried an insane "well it's only an opinion and therefore protected by freedom of speech which makes us not liable for anything we say" defense that almost worked.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Yes, it is more or less their (only) business model.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Of course banks should consider rejecting customers with solid credit in an overvalued housing market, because it means the collateral on their loan is likely to lose value. People might be good credit risks now but they can die or get sick. Of course they should also reject people for personal loans to expand a dumb business idea, because it means the loan will likely not be repaid. I'm not even expecting banks to act as moral agents here; I'm expecting them to act in their own enlightened self-interest and do their loving job.
I wrote like four sentences about this in the post you are quoting.

quote:

I am not arguing that people were 'forced' to take out loans in the sense that bankers put guns to people's heads and made them sign on the dotted line. If that's your understanding of 'force' then I should probably stop arguing with you. Anyway, plenty of people took out bigger loans than they should have, in the entirely mistaken expectation that housing prices would rise forever. However, there are simple and entirely innocent explanations for why people might feel forced to buy a house: namely, you have to live *somewhere*, there might not be houses available for rent at any affordable price or without being on a waiting list for a decade, you're moving somewhere for work or you're moving in together with your partner, or you have a kid on the way and you need a place big enough to start a family in, and besides, the mortgage advisor you're talking to tells you that it's entirely affordable, that prices are still rising so you'd be stupid not to be buying now and invest in your future, and hey, you can always flip your house before the principal comes due, and also, the government gives you a nice tax break on your mortgage bill if you buy a house instead of renting.
Umm... I'm not sure what your point is here. Some people have families so they are forced to buy a house and take a mortgage? That's not giving people a lot of agency/credit. The expectation that prices were going up? Not sure how that ties in. To me it seems more like a rational reason to make a choice.

I mean just because I have flawed expectations of the future doesn't mean I'm not capable of making decisions. There might be a bias in those decisions, but I am still actively making them. Let's say my expectation of the equity risk premium is 10% a year. Does that mean that I am not making a conscious choice when I invest in stocks?

quote:

Long story short, people wanting to buy houses is an entirely normal and predictable phenomenon, so complaining about people wanting to buy houses is as useful as shouting at the clouds for raining on you. So if Joe Blow wants to buy a house, you end up with a business deal where on one side you have a bank, which is in the business of deciding who is a good credit risk, and which for the purpose of making good loans employs mathematicians, economists, econometricians, finance people, statisticians, actuaries, lawyers , marketeers, and salespeople, all of whom do that work on a daily basis, and on the other side you have Joe Blow, who's unlikely to have had any serious training in personal finance, and who is likely to be signing a mortgage for the first time in his life, then if the deal goes bad and Joe Blow is unable to make even his first principal repayment, you better believe I will blame the 'bankers' first, second, third and fourth, and then the regulators for allowing this stuff to happen, and then the politicians who allowed themselves to be bought by the banks. At some point I will also yell at Joe Blow that he's an idiot, perhaps. But people making stupid economic decisions, particularly during a bubble, is as old as time itself. If the management of money however is your profession, and you get paid a shitload of money for doing so, you're going to be held to a higher standard. You can claim that the blame should be shared but then it should be something like 95% one way and 5% the other or whatever.
The difference is that Joe Blow knows about his own personal financial situation whereas an econometrician can model a fraction of it. That's worth a ton. Despite all that you read in the media hyping up fintech, a model trying to predict individual default based on simple demographic characteristics that lenders have doesn't work that well.

quote:

Anyway, I linked to stories on Wells Fargo, which was just one example, and other scandals in my previous post.If you're interested in finding out how much the misbehaviour of the financial industry contributed to the mortgage market meltdown, I can recommend reading the full US Senate Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission report which is actually eminently readable despite being over 700 pages.
How about instead of that, you tell me where an estimate of the value of mortgages that were sold to people who probably didn't want a mortgage? I know that's a difficult number but these anecdotes (none of which concern mortgages yet btw, still waiting) are not a substitute for statistics.

If the argument is that people were somehow forced, tricked or pressured into taking mortgages they couldn't afford then surely some statistics on that exist. Because right now what this seems like is that the ex ante realization was bad so you assume the mortgage was mis-sold, which is ridiculous. People are completely capable of making bad decisions without pressure (and it's not a bank's job to stop you).

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, poor people have to take mortgages to live, don't you know anything about the real world?

Alternatively, you think the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis was actually a medical debt or credit card crisis.

I know you think you're doing some masterful trolling effort here whereas you're just making yourself look like an out of touch middle class leftist again who starts posting random poo poo when owned in an attempt to make it seem like you were never serious to start with.

You're a right oval office.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Devil posted:

What about the banks leveraging their market position by demanding those AAA ratings on poo poo they know is garbage or else taking their business to a competing ratings agency? Do they have a responsibility to, you know, not do that?

Because this is what literally happened. Products were offered on the market as 1 thing by both the offering party and a supposedly independent ratings agency while in fact they were an entirely different thing.

Do you think maybe being able to sell hot garbage as a solid investment incentivised the banks to shovel as many people as possible into hot garbage mortgages? And do you think maybe they jumped on this opportunity to enrich themselves through what any reasonable person would conclude is both blatantly fraudulous and unethical? You know, just mmmmaaaaaybe?

Great insight, you totally owned whoever said the ratings agencies and banks should bear no responsibility

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Junior G-man posted:

On the other hand, they tried an insane "well it's only an opinion and therefore protected by freedom of speech which makes us not liable for anything we say" defense that almost worked.

It looks preceding reasonable if you read it, and I'm sure it was written with the very best and noblest of intentions, but a couple hundred years of American lawyers have made their first amendment look like a really stupid piece of poo poo.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The positive thing about absolute cunts like GP is that they really do honestly and openly profess the real ideology of the right. None of that clinton or blairite obfuscation of actual beliefs in gentle language of toleration and... Whatever bullshit that Blair was always going on about. Something about "we are the new radicals a labour party modernized" or whatever. Just plain, open and simple 'gently caress the poor' with callous self-justification through pretentions of cold rationality and superiority. Which is utterly repulsive to everyone with any kind of moral compass or basic human emotions.

I can only hope that GP is a real higher up in Kokoomus and speaks publically about his ideals as often as possible in official capacity as a Kockhead politician. I truly do pray to Allah that they make GP the party head, as soon as possible. I pray furthermore that as many people like him as possible join the Kok and other rightist parties and publically profess his ideals. Insha'Allah GP and truly honest people like him become the public face of as many rightist parties as possible throughout Europa.

So I must say, and I never thought before I would say so, thank you GP. May you live a long and very publically visible life. You should consider writing your ideas down, maybe a book or just try the opinion pages of newspapers. Just make sure to say you're a Kok member and publically associate yourself with them at all possible instances.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Great insight, you totally owned whoever said the ratings agencies and banks should bear no responsibility

I'm still answering the questions "why do people hate bankers" and "why do people blame bankers selling poo poo masquerading as a good mortgage and/or securities deal more than they do the schmucks they sold it to?" which is apparently something being debated. By morons. Such as yourself.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 10, 2017

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

lollontee posted:

The positive thing about absolute cunts like GP is that they really do honestly and openly profess the real ideology of the right. None of that clinton or blairite obfuscation of actual beliefs in gentle language of toleration and... Whatever bullshit that Blair was always going on about. Something about "we are the new radicals a labour party modernized" or whatever. Just plain, open and simple 'gently caress the poor' with callous self-justification through pretentions of cold rationality and superiority. Which is utterly repulsive to everyone with any kind of moral compass or basic human emotions.

I can only hope that GP is a real higher up in Kokoomus and speaks publically about his ideals as often as possible in official capacity as a Kockhead politician. I truly do pray to Allah that they make GP the party head, as soon as possible. I pray furthermore that as many people like him as possible join the Kok and other rightist parties and publically profess his ideals. Insha'Allah GP and truly honest people like him become the public face of as many rightist parties as possible throughout Europa.

So I must say, and I never thought before I would say so, thank you GP. May you live a long and very publically visible life. You should consider writing your ideas down, maybe a book or just try the opinion pages of newspapers. Just make sure to say you're a Kok member and publically associate yourself with them at all possible instances.
Yeah, I'm sure "be prudent about debt" won't resonate at all with people (Finnish or otherwise) but "I am forced to buy a house because a one hour commute is too long and it's a human rights violation to live outside of central Helsinki and I don't like my landlord, more money please" will be a resounding success.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

How about instead of that, you tell me where an estimate of the value of mortgages that were sold to people who probably didn't want a mortgage? I know that's a difficult number but these anecdotes (none of which concern mortgages yet btw, still waiting) are not a substitute for statistics.

No, I'm not going to fall any further into this trap of debating the merits of particular mortgage transactions and the financial probity of any particular homeowner or even chasing any further statistics and links for you when the crisis was systemic. Systemic crises have systemic causes. If people were too willing to take out mortgages, that was because mortgages were offered too cheaply, because of cheap money and the collapsing lending standards. But that was only one of the many causes, because the willingness of banks to sell Alt-A mortgages or no-doc liar loans to people was predicated on their ability to securitise them and sell them to institutional investors. So going on about the blame due greedy/stupid homeowners is just a red herring.

You have supplied no evidence whatsoever to counter the extensive evidence that the financial industry failed at all levels, from mortgage origination, to securitization, to credit rating, to the sale of RMBS. It doesn't even matter if the selling of inappropriately structured or overly high LTV mortgages occurred on a large enough scale to cause the crisis, because the misbehaviour occurred on a large enough scale to be worthy of condemnation by itself. So I'm just going to quote the FCIC report conclusions in chapter 7 on the mortgage machine at you:

quote:

The Commission concludes that the monetary policy of the Federal Reserve,
along with capital flows from abroad, created conditions in which a housing bubble
could develop. However, these conditions need not have led to a crisis. The
Federal Reserve and other regulators did not take actions necessary to constrain
the credit bubble. In addition, the Federal Reserve’s policies and pronouncements
encouraged rather than inhibited the growth of mortgage debt and the housing
bubble.

Lending standards collapsed, and there was a significant failure of accountability
and responsibility throughout each level of the lending system. This included
borrowers, mortgage brokers, appraisers, originators, securitizers, credit
rating agencies, and investors, and ranged from corporate boardrooms to individuals.
Loans were often premised on ever-rising home prices and were made regardless
of ability to pay.

The nonprime mortgage securitization process created a pipeline through
which risky mortgages were conveyed and sold throughout the financial system.
This pipeline was essential to the origination of the burgeoning numbers of highrisk
mortgages. The originate-to-distribute model undermined responsibility and
accountability for the long-term viability of mortgages and mortgage-related securities
and contributed to the poor quality of mortgage loans.

Federal and state rules required or encouraged financial firms and some institutional
investors to make investments based on the ratings of credit rating agencies,
leading to undue reliance on those ratings. However, the rating agencies
were not adequately regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission or any
other regulator to ensure the quality and accuracy of their ratings. Moody’s, the
Commission’s case study in this area, relied on flawed and outdated models to issue
erroneous ratings on mortgage-related securities, failed to perform meaningful
due diligence on the assets underlying the securities, and continued to rely on
those models even after it became obvious that the models were wrong.
Not only did the federal banking supervisors fail to rein in risky mortgagelending
practices, but the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office
of Thrift Supervision preempted the applicability of state laws and regulatory
efforts to national banks and thrifts, thus preventing adequate protection for borrowers
and weakening constraints on this segment of the mortgage market.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, I'm sure "be prudent about debt" won't resonate at all with people (Finnish or otherwise) but "I am forced to buy a house because a one hour commute is too long and it's a human rights violation to live outside of central Helsinki and I don't like my landlord, more money please" will be a resounding success.

It'll resonate with rich cunts for exactly as long as the (largely non-voting) exploited aren't presented with an alternative to being assfucked by your kind. TINA works until it really, really doesn't. You can dismiss the people and what they feel is just and unjust if you so decide. You can even justify that to yourself with this objectivist bullcrap about free will and aromized individualism. But that won't make the people feel like they live in a just society. And then all it takes is someone who has an idea of a different kind of world.

Jezza is thw boy is he's gonna gulag your smug bourgeoisie rear end. I'll send you a postcard.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like how the goalposts now have moved to "people should be prudent about debt" when we're literally discussing a case where the banks were deliberately decieving people.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pluskut Tukker posted:

No, I'm not going to fall any further into this trap of debating the merits of particular mortgage transactions and the financial probity of any particular homeowner or even chasing any further statistics and links for you when the crisis was systemic. Systemic crises have systemic causes. If people were too willing to take out mortgages, that was because mortgages were offered too cheaply, because of cheap money and the collapsing lending standards. But that was only one of the many causes, because the willingness of banks to sell Alt-A mortgages or no-doc liar loans to people was predicated on their ability to securitise them and sell them to institutional investors. So going on about the blame due greedy/stupid homeowners is just a red herring.

You have supplied no evidence whatsoever to counter the extensive evidence that the financial industry failed at all levels, from mortgage origination, to securitization, to credit rating, to the sale of RMBS. It doesn't even matter if the selling of inappropriately structured or overly high LTV mortgages occurred on a large enough scale to cause the crisis, because the misbehaviour occurred on a large enough scale to be worthy of condemnation by itself. So I'm just going to quote the FCIC report conclusions in chapter 7 on the mortgage machine at you:

That's because I think the financial industry shares the blame. But the point is that many people here don't think that people should be responsible for the mortgages they took because they were apparently forced into taking them. So it's similar to my fast food analogy - just because it's cheap doesn't mean you are forced to eat.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

IT is when the choice is between eating fast food and starving.even if eating only fast food all the time will kill you.but thats ok people will just bootstrap themselves from the hostel/homelesness if they really want it,and those who dont are too lazy.i dont see the problem of poor people living three hours away from the only place that may employ them as poor people have no social or Family lives really.its not like a lot of things require you to have a fixed residence or anything.i mean the gypsies do fine in their roving bands and are of c ourse well regarded members of society.well i must hurry now got to catch the train to galts gulch see ya!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Geriatric Pirate posted:

just because it's cheap doesn't mean you are forced to eat.

you realize that ARMs were marketed like hard drugs right? teaser rates etc means you can, as a bank, lie to borrowers and promise them that they can afford the loan

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The difference is that Joe Blow knows about his own personal financial situation whereas an econometrician can model a fraction of it. That's worth a ton. Despite all that you read in the media hyping up fintech, a model trying to predict individual default based on simple demographic characteristics that lenders have doesn't work that well.

Again you're focusing on individual loans too much. Banks don't really lend based on an individual's finances, they lend based on what their models say about that individual's finances. If people tend to leave out certain important information to the point that it's relevant at a systemic level, then that effect would be represented in the models. If an individual does something not represented in the models then it's not common enough to cause a systemic problem. This makes it literally impossible for the actions of the average person to matter on a systemic level, which is the level we're talking about. Anything they could do is literally always either too small an effect to matter or is already accounted for. Provided the financial industry is doing it's job of course.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 11, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you realize that ARMs were marketed like hard drugs right? teaser rates etc means you can, as a bank, lie to borrowers and promise them that they can afford the loan

If only there had been people who've been saying "don't trust the rich" over and over again for a hundred years or so oh wait people just chose not to believe them just because they also said the Soviet Union is pretty great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In fact it's time we return to the pre-consumerism model of society, where people lived mostly from subsistence farming and never took any sort of credit. They built everything they needed by themselves, and only bought the few things they couldn't produce on their own. There was a lot less waste, so it's the environmentally conscious thing to do.

As a bonus, this would cause a complete and total collapse of worldwide economy as instead of growth you'd get a very violent shrinking. That'd make all the dogmatic discussion about how and why debt is always bad very funny.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

There really is no point in arguing with either GaussianCopula or Geriatric Pirate. They're just utterly lost causes.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Junior G-man posted:

There really is no point in arguing with either GaussianCopula or Geriatric Pirate. They're just utterly lost causes.

That's a very nice way of writing 'irredeemable cunts'.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Junior G-man posted:

On the contrary, debating with them (really debating, not just throwing insults) often produces the most valuable content of this thread.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

That's because I think the financial industry shares the blame. But the point is that many people here don't think that people should be responsible for the mortgages they took because they were apparently forced into taking them. So it's similar to my fast food analogy - just because it's cheap doesn't mean you are forced to eat.

Well sure, but you could have thrown this accusation too at the 17th-century Dutchmen spending their life savings on tulip bulbs or the 18th-century Englishmen and Frenchmen getting caught up in the South Sea Company bubble or the schemes of John Law . Or, more recently, most of the population of Albania falling for pyramid schemes in the 1990s, or the dot.com bubble of that time. And, of course, the 2000s housing bubble, or any of the other crises documented for instance by Reinhart & Rogoff for the last 800 years. People are persistently stupid with money, no matter their level of education. That's essentially an unfixable problem, so it's of very limited use to blame them. By now, it should also be clear that it's an entirely foreseeable problem. Give enough people access to cheap credit, and the consequences will inevitably be disastrous.

Moreover, people get punished, *hard*, when they take out mortgages they can't afford, even when the main reason they can't afford it is beyond their control. Foreclosure is horrible, and in the US it happened to close to ten million homeowners between 2006-14, with millions more left in stress because their mortgage went under water as a result of the crisis. And of course there has been amazing misery in the eurozone periphery. But while many in the financial industry lost their job during the crisis, very few people in the financial industry were punished for their misbehaviour.

So holding people responsible is a mostly pointless endeavour. You're not going to change them. If you want to stop them from taking out irresponsible mortgages, raise the interest rate. However, with the knowledge accumulated over the years, there are rules we have learnt we can impose on the financial industry (though it's obviously a work in process) to limit their ability to blow up the economy. But that industry is far more organized and powerful than Joe Blow the individual homeowner, and can influence or help write the rules they have to live by, and entice regulators to be gentle to them by the promise of the revolving door-job. So it's far more important to make very clear exactly how much 'the banks' are to blame for the crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Well sure, but you could have thrown this accusation too at the 17th-century Dutchmen spending their life savings on tulip bulbs or the 18th-century Englishmen and Frenchmen getting caught up in the South Sea Company bubble or the schemes of John Law . Or, more recently, most of the population of Albania falling for pyramid schemes in the 1990s, or the dot.com bubble of that time. And, of course, the 2000s housing bubble, or any of the other crises documented for instance by Reinhart & Rogoff for the last 800 years. People are persistently stupid with money, no matter their level of education. That's essentially an unfixable problem, so it's of very limited use to blame them. By now, it should also be clear that it's an entirely foreseeable problem. Give enough people access to cheap credit, and the consequences will inevitably be disastrous.

An even more recent example from several European countries is mass taking credit in Swiss Franc. Interest is low, Franc is stable, right? Boom, Franc goes up in 2015. Suddenly thousands of people can't make the payments any more and they also now owe more than what they borrowed, despite the fact that they had repaid half the debt.