Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Anyway about those YouTube intellectuals who can't stop talking about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNla4411O78

The easiest way to rebut this, or any other 'women have it easy' type argument, is to ask

"Would you rather be the man or the woman in this scenario?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

You didn't even vote? gently caress you, you can't complain then.
This is easily the worst third of the 'democracy, the great silencer' triad.

You voted for A and A won? gently caress you, you can't complain when they do something you don't like.
You voted for B and A won? gently caress you, you can't complain, you lost, get over it.
You didn't even vote (maybe because of the above sentiments)? gently caress you, you can't complain then.

The end result, and the goal of the above, is that we should all just stop complaining and all political activity is reduced to a box checking exercise every N years.

e:

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Anyway about those YouTube intellectuals who can't stop talking about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNla4411O78
I mean yeah, your average peon/commoner/proletarian male is disposable under patriarchy. If you look at the most blatant example, the Y-chromosomal bottleneck around the neolithic, there was a complete divide between polygynous warlords and some other class of males which we don't know much about but whom it presumably sucked for.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 10, 2017

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Turns out one of the biggest gaming forums out there, neogaf, had his own aatrek situation recently and looking at twitter it seems sargon's crowd having a field day with it due to neogaf being very pro-lgbt.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Milo merely advocated it, therefore my side attains moral superiority.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

WampaLord posted:

Again, an action that can be easily done without leaving their computers. The pepes aren't a significant force to worry about, the bulk of GOP voters just voted R like they always do, there was not some massive surge of young R voters.

The young overwhelming voted D, even with Hillary being a terrible candidate. Give them a good candidate and there will be a surge of young D voters, like we saw with Obama.

Let me rephrase to capture my tone
It's pathetic only a third of his people signed an internet petition

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Strikes me as obviously undemocratic to tell people they shouldn't vote third party. I assume the point we kept them around in two party systems is to provide an alternative to just not voting if there is disillusionment or a bad candidate and in extreme cases a route to replace a collapsing party. If the choice was two big parties or not voting they could continue business as normal until they got more and more out of touch. With a third party around you can see your vote share decreasing as it moves over to them.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 10, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I think it's fair to say that politics have moved beyond ideology, beliefs or even a rough plan for going forward... you're marketed a choice and failure to adhere to the colour that supposedly appeals to your demographic makes you the worst kind of class traitor there is.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

This is easily the worst third of the 'democracy, the great silencer' triad.

You voted for A and A won? gently caress you, you can't complain when they do something you don't like.
You voted for B and A won? gently caress you, you can't complain, you lost, get over it.
You didn't even vote (maybe because of the above sentiments)? gently caress you, you can't complain then.

The end result, and the goal of the above, is that we should all just stop complaining and all political activity is reduced to a box checking exercise every N years.\

If you think you can't be angry at your winning candidate turning to poo poo, where have you been for the last eight years?

If you think you can't be angry at the other winning candidate being exactly the piece of poo poo he claimed he'd be, where have you been for the last six months?

If you don't help a situation, do you really think you have any right to be angry that it didn't turn out good?

I get that you're basically whining because you thought people would be fine with you voting for Johnson or whatever, but grow the gently caress up. In America's first-past-the-post system, not voting is the same as voting for whoever ends up winning; it is literally saying "Go ahead, someone else decide, I don't want to have a choice in this." Third party voting is identical to that, with the added bonus of being pathetically naive.

E: Also if you need your vote to be a statement of your pure and noble intent and not your, y'know, choice, then you really need to stop being such a precious little flower about politics. Politics is dirty and angry and cruel and unfair. Sorry, snowflake.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 10, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As somebody who does not live in the US or have citizenship of the U.S. there are many aspects to your political culture I don't understand. Like why everybody who wants to vote third party gives in to voting one of the big two because "then it counts" like. If everybody littered because everybody else did?? You are meant to vote as close as you can to how you want your country to be run- not degrade your own view for some watered down middle ground. Gah!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't know about that. I feel like the rise of Trump has and will continue to have major effects on the youth voting. Gamers, anime fans, and lovely message board trolls seem like ripe demographics to become tomorrow's Republicans.

Something we have to consider is that A.) the majority of youth in this country are not a part of the hardcore internet gaming regime or lovely message board trolls. And B.) Many of those internet gaming nerds/lovely mb trolls are not necessarily American.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lampsacus posted:

As somebody who does not live in the US or have citizenship of the U.S. there are many aspects to your political culture I don't understand. Like why everybody who wants to vote third party gives in to voting one of the big two because "then it counts" like. If everybody littered because everybody else did?? You are meant to vote as close as you can to how you want your country to be run- not degrade your own view for some watered down middle ground. Gah!

Voting for a third party president does literally nothing. The third parties don't have a fraction of the infastructure for a national campaign and it's usually crackpots trying to raise their profile like Stein. Third party on legistlative level elections is possible, Bernie has been voted in as an independent for years. But the two big third parties are not really interested in governance and for vanity campaigns.
It's like if someone wanted to be prime minister with none of their party mps elected.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Somfin posted:

If you think you can't be angry at your winning candidate turning to poo poo, where have you been for the last eight years?

If you think you can't be angry at the other winning candidate being exactly the piece of poo poo he claimed he'd be, where have you been for the last six months?

If you don't help a situation, do you really think you have any right to be angry that it didn't turn out good?

I get that you're basically whining because you thought people would be fine with you voting for Johnson or whatever, but grow the gently caress up. In America's first-past-the-post system, not voting is the same as voting for whoever ends up winning; it is literally saying "Go ahead, someone else decide, I don't want to have a choice in this." Third party voting is identical to that, with the added bonus of being pathetically naive.

E: Also if you need your vote to be a statement of your pure and noble intent and not your, y'know, choice, then you really need to stop being such a precious little flower about politics. Politics is dirty and angry and cruel and unfair. Sorry, snowflake.

Hilary 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Voting for a third party president does literally nothing. The third parties don't have a fraction of the infastructure for a national campaign and it's usually crackpots trying to raise their profile like Stein. Third party on legistlative level elections is possible, Bernie has been voted in as an independent for years. But the two big third parties are not really interested in governance and for vanity campaigns.
It's like if someone wanted to be prime minister with none of their party mps elected.

Don't the Greens have some local or state power? I dunno, I just know a guy who has been an active Green campaigner for years and insists they don' t just run national vanity campaigns every four years.

But our system is total garbage, I don't blame the minor parties.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 10, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It does one thing:
It gives one vote to a party representing your interests. Next election, maybe two of you will vote. This is the very start of fixing things (at least within the system). It might not 'do anything' here and now but perhaps one day a descent will hear of ol crazy great great grandpa Lamp who voted third party and maybe that will inspire them to as well. And they could be the tipping point or grow into a massive political actor. You don't know! All you have is your ability to live authentically. The result isn't something you can mind control through the meme "they have infrastructure".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Entryism's the new hotness. White supremacists have been infiltrating police forces for decades. There's no reason decent people can't parasitize the Democratic Party.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I live in NYC. My vote literally doesn't matter here, and I find it irritating when self-important people get indignant and mad at me for not caring about Hilary's already landslide victory in my city and thus choosing to not vote at all this election. Swing state? Sure, I'd vote for that awful candidate. Might even personally feel obligated to. But the angrier and more oppressive people become over MY VOTE the less I and many others give a poo poo about the whole process.

"Why didn't you vote my way!!??!!"

Get hosed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

It does one thing:
It gives one vote to a party representing your interests. Next election, maybe two of you will vote. This is the very start of fixing things (at least within the system). It might not 'do anything' here and now but perhaps one day a descent will hear of ol crazy great great grandpa Lamp who voted third party and maybe that will inspire them to as well. And they could be the tipping point or grow into a massive political actor. You don't know! All you have is your ability to live authentically. The result isn't something you can mind control through the meme "they have infrastructure".

If they want third parties to be worth a poo poo they would need to actually work in the party and make it worth a poo poo. A few more people not being discouraged from Green doesn't build up a healing crystal enthusiast voting Bloc in a time frame shorter than evolution.

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't the Greens have some local or state power? I dunno, I just know a guy who has been an active Green campaigner for years and insists they don' t just run national vanity campaigns every four years.

But our system is total garbage, I don't blame the minor parties.

Yeah the system is bad

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

*quiet chant from underground* mmp mmp

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Third party votes won't mean poo poo unless America switches to a Westminster system or undergoes serious voting reform. And if you strip away the bullshit, voting third party or not voting may make some principled point in your mind... but it tells all demographics vulnerable to the Republican Party that their needs are subservient to your pointless protest. Trans Americans, PoC, and those that will lose heir healthcare likely do not see Trump beating Clinton as a good thing simply because of the message it sends to the Democrats. Because the ability to send that message came directly at their expense.

Want to vote third party? Push for electoral reform, or wait until a massive shakeup actually has them polling competitively at least. Want better candidates in your preferred party? Participate in the primaries. For bonus points, start participating in and influencing local and state level politics.

But as it is, if you're a lefty/progressive? A third party vote, or not voting at all, is more or less throwing disadvantaged, vulnerable demographics under the bus to make a point that will fall on deaf ears. Because for the time being, American politics cannot escape the team sports mentality- one one may win, red or blue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Somfin posted:

Yes, I remember when the Liberal Democrats went into coalition with the Conservatives and immediately ditched all their progressive policies and Lib Dem voters who complained were told "lol you voted for this so :dealwithit:"

Somfin posted:

Yes, I remember when Leave won by 51.9% and Remain voters were told "suck it up reMOANers, will of the people, hard Brexit forever :smugdog:"

Somfin posted:

Yes.

Somfin posted:

lol, I have no idea what made you think any of that. I vote, but it's in a constituency where I haven't got a snowball in hell's chance of it ever counting. Like a Protestant receiving the Eucharist, I go through the motions anyway without ever expecting it to turn into anything, but I can fully understand why someone might not. Voting is only the smallest (and easiest) part of political engagement anyway, which is probably why people make such a big deal out of it, it's an easy way to claim involvement by putting a cross in a box or hanging a Chad or whatever. But if someone who didn't vote writes a letter to their local representative or starts a petition or goes out pamphleting or protests in Hamburg or joins the YPG International or anything in between, I'd be as big an rear end in a top hat as the first two groups if I claimed that they lacked legitimacy just because I voted like a Good Boy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I live in NYC. My vote literally doesn't matter here, and I find it irritating when self-important people get indignant and mad at me for not caring about Hilary's already landslide victory in my city and thus choosing to not vote at all this election. Swing state? Sure, I'd vote for that awful candidate. Might even personally feel obligated to. But the angrier and more oppressive people become over MY VOTE the less I and many others give a poo poo about the whole process.

"Why didn't you vote my way!!??!!"

Get hosed.
Heh, I live in a constituency in the UK which has been solidly Tory since its creation in 1974. In fact, the lowest voting share that they ever got in that seat was 48.3%. Yet when I voted Green in 2015 I was told by multiple people that I pissed my vote away, even though its obviously impossible to put another party on that seat without a massive change in demographic mixed with a well co-ordinated and funded campaign. Then again, I've also been told I wasted my vote in 2010 when I voted Green in Brighton...even though they won that seat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Remember when this thread was about YouTube intellectuals and was funny and good instead of another lovely election thread where dipshits talk past one another for pages upon pages?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Then let's talk Laci Green and her disingenuous refusal to acknowledge her new demographic of supporters will abandon her as soon as they realize she's still a 'feminist'.

Like, the interest in her among the alt-right/antifeminists seems to begin and end with, 'we can convert her fully!' She's a darling now, because in their mind she makes them look like the reasonable ones for engaging in discussion... But give it a few more months and a few more times asserting 'gender and sex are different' and 'the wage gap is real!'. I don't think they'll be sticking around once the novelty wears off, unless she goes full Honey Badger or something.

Or maybe she will stick around as 'one of the good ones' to 'prove' antis aren't above debate or something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Got some more #fakenews for you guys
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/07/10/here-are-5-video-game-youtubers-you-really-need-to-watch/#4e566df7b309

Hbomb is on his way up in the world. I quite like Sterling, too.

Stuff like this makes me happy since it reaffirms the online community of racists and misogynists are still just a joke in the real world while actual intellectuals have a chance to do some real good.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 10, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Honest Thief posted:

Turns out one of the biggest gaming forums out there, neogaf, had his own aatrek situation recently and looking at twitter it seems sargon's crowd having a field day with it due to neogaf being very pro-lgbt.

Whos aatrek? I forget but it sounds familiar.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/07/10/here-are-5-video-game-youtubers-you-really-need-to-watch/#4e566df7b309

Stuff like this makes me happy since it reaffirms the online community of racists and misogynists are still just a joke in the real world while actual intellectuals have a chance to do some real good.

Wait, so is Hbomb a Good Guy? I've been assuming most if not all video game YT personalities are horrible, and I see his name thrown around a lot.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

SA pedophile who was a mod.

Insert 'Mods knew' meme here.

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait, so is Hbomb a Good Guy? I've been assuming most if not all video game YT personalities are horrible, and I see his name thrown around a lot.

Yes. And he's a goon too. Occasionally posts here.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

JVNO posted:

Then let's talk Laci Green and her disingenuous refusal to acknowledge her new demographic of supporters will abandon her as soon as they realize she's still a 'feminist'.

Like, the interest in her among the alt-right/antifeminists seems to begin and end with, 'we can convert her fully!' She's a darling now, because in their mind she makes them look like the reasonable ones for engaging in discussion... But give it a few more months and a few more times asserting 'gender and sex are different' and 'the wage gap is real!'. I don't think they'll be sticking around once the novelty wears off, unless she goes full Honey Badger or something.

Or maybe she will stick around as 'one of the good ones' to 'prove' antis aren't above debate or something.

Laci is already half way there as someone pointed out a few pages back talking about how a penius=male.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BigRed0427 posted:

Looks like one of the NeoGAF mods is a pedophile and has been charged with possessing illegal images, and the gamergaters are accusing the others of knowing so and protecting them, or getting mad that they got banned for dropping n-bombs and other 'differing political viewpoints' while Mods allegedly Knew.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Verisimilidude posted:

Hbomb splits between video game critiques (half of which, like the Sonic Lore Analysis, are jokes) and videos about the skeptic community. He is a Good Guy, unless you really hate Dark Souls 2.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

JVNO posted:

Yes. And he's a goon too. Occasionally posts here.

Ahh that's where I heard the name! I'll have to check out his videos.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

1stGear posted:

Hbomb splits between video game critiques (half of which, like the Sonic Lore Analysis, are jokes) and videos about the skeptic community. He is a Good Guy, unless you really hate Dark Souls 2.
Well, it really isn't better than the sum of its parts.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

Laci is already half way there as someone pointed out a few pages back talking about how a penius=male.

I don't agree with her that terms like 'male/female' can be completely divorced from gendered assumptions. Or that the terms are even precise enough for the entire spectrum of sex differences/variations. But I think 'man/woman is gender; male/female is biosex' is at least a defensible linguistic position not worthy of completely writing someone off for holding. Especially if that person continues to support trans rights otherwise. If we're going to write that combination of positions off as 'alt-right/regressive', and we also believe engaging with the alt-right is pointless, then we're going to have a really hard time gaining any political ground in the future. If we weren't discussing Laci (for reasons I'll mention below), I'd urge 'these people are reachable', and that ideological purity might be destructive in this case.

Far more egregious is the fact she was very intellectually dishonest about the material she used to start that rant. To reiterate, she took issue with describing female anatomy as 'non-prostate havers' in a Cosmo diagram. But it was just a cheeky way to refer to anatomy in an article about how anal sex works when you don't have a prostate. Using such an intellectually dishonest jumping off point to launch into the aforementioned male/female discussion makes me far less willing to grant her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to her honesty about supporting trans rights. It was clearly red meat for her new demographic of fanboys, and I know for a fact she held herself above such intellectual dishonesty in the past.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 10, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

I mean yeah, your average peon/commoner/proletarian male is disposable under patriarchy. If you look at the most blatant example, the Y-chromosomal bottleneck around the neolithic, there was a complete divide between polygynous warlords and some other class of males which we don't know much about but whom it presumably sucked for.

Suggestion- Don't use this example with these guys. Anything that could play into their "alpha fux, beta bux" meme about why women won't sleep with them will be glommed onto immediately.

Verisimilidude posted:

Yeah. People don't like his opinions on what movies & games he liked or didn't, but he's pretty consistently against the YouTube scumbags and for treating minorities like they are actual people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

rkajdi posted:

Suggestion- Don't use this example with these guys. Anything that could play into their "alpha fux, beta bux" meme about why women won't sleep with them will be glommed onto immediately.
Yeah, it doesn't work on Dork Enlightenment types who hear stories about how garbage Feudalism was and think "ah, better times."

But then those people can't complain about the disposable male. The whole point of many of those structures was "It is an honor and a privilege (heh) to be a disposable pawn in the eyes of my Lord."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Matt is #2 list is poo poo

I really don't think of Hbomberguy as a video game channel, but I don't think of Shaun as a streamer so what the hell do I know.

As for hbomb being bad, we rag on his taste but his videos in the context of the thread are fantastic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

As for hbomb being bad, we rag on his taste

Hbomb said in one of his videos that he will fight people over the Prequels being good and yet he refuses to meet me in the octagon for an official UFC match. He is a liar and a coward.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Matt is #2 list is poo poo

I really don't think of Hbomberguy as a video game channel, but I don't think of Shaun as a streamer so what the hell do I know.

As for hbomb being bad, we rag on his taste but his videos in the context of the thread are fantastic.

You know if Forbes was making a shill article for left wing video game youtubers they could of at least included Kim Justice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1nLzT_t0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIXn9Tr5hI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebj8OoaJME4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9kmBn0M9k

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JVNO posted:

I don't agree with her that terms like 'male/female' can be completely divorced from gendered assumptions. Or that the terms are even precise enough for the entire spectrum of sex differences/variations. But I think 'man/woman is gender; male/female is biosex' is at least a defensible linguistic position not worthy of completely writing someone off for holding. Especially if that person continues to support trans rights otherwise. If we're going to write that combination of positions off as 'alt-right/regressive', and we also believe engaging with the alt-right is pointless, then we're going to have a really hard time gaining any political ground in the future. If we weren't discussing Laci (for reasons I'll mention below), I'd urge 'these people are reachable', and that ideological purity might be destructive in this case.

Far more egregious is the fact she was very intellectually dishonest about the material she used to start that rant. To reiterate, she took issue with describing female anatomy as 'non-prostate havers' in a Cosmo diagram. But it was just a cheeky way to refer to anatomy in an article about how anal sex works when you don't have a prostate. Using such an intellectually dishonest jumping off point to launch into the aforementioned male/female discussion makes me far less willing to grant her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to her honesty about supporting trans rights. It was clearly red meat for her new demographic of fanboys, and I know for a fact she held herself above such intellectual dishonesty in the past.

Do you think she's dog-whistling while giving herself plausible deniability? Like The pepes won't care about the original context but she can later point to the people correcting her and say "look how unreasonable you were for assuming I was denying the reality of trans existence! At least Blaine White is nice to me and doesn't call me names!"

It feels like politeness and "open dialogue" are the slippery slopes conveying her to reactionary town. "What choice did I have, fam? Sargon was the only one who didn't yell at me."

Still no clue if she's grafting or really seduced by their "openness to all points of view."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Contrapoints is having a one-on-one conversation with Laci Green about genderqueer identities and expression on Thursday at some yet to be determined time, if anyone's curious. It's probably going to be on Laci's channel.

It's part of a series including Blaire White and some TERF who tells people to kill themselves when they call her a TERF.

• Locked thread