Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

It's still the craziest loving thing, if you told people terrorists are gonna destroy Miami we would go to forever hell war over it, but tell them a bunch of businessmen are going to destroy Miami and they'll vote for them.

Imagine if a foreign country killed even 5% of what the AHCA is going to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If it's that abstract, it doesn't exist.

At least not to half the US, anyways

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Imagine if a foreign country killed even 5% of what the AHCA is going to kill.

Vehicle crashes kill 40,000 people a year in the U.S., but hey that's just the cost of driving, absolutely nothing we can do to help that!

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Vehicle crashes kill 40,000 people a year in the U.S., but hey that's just the cost of driving, absolutely nothing we can do to help that!

I think self-driving cars are supposed to be much safer.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Burt Buckle posted:

I think self-driving cars are supposed to be much safer.

All we have to do is wait several decades, assuming they are ever fully realized in the first place.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

skull mask mcgee posted:

All we have to do is wait several decades, assuming they are ever fully realized in the first place.

Yeah, you're right. Self-driving cars are still years away from making a significant difference in vehicle related fatalities.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
net-metering for residential solar is just another subsidy for suburban housing. to hell with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FourLeaf posted:

I knew there was a strain of environmentalism that embraced eugenics but I had no idea that it had become a mainstream view in this thread.

It's a thread in a forum full of misanthropic people that instead of embracing libertarianism like 4chan and Reddit, quietly embrace Stalinism.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Star Man posted:

It's a thread in a forum full of misanthropic people that instead of embracing libertarianism like 4chan and Reddit, quietly embrace Stalinism.

Ok check it out: I'm not for eugenics BUT its hypocritical to say that communism could work except stalin hosed it up, and then turn around and say that eugenics was proven as evil by hitler.

edit: oops I thought this was the Trump thread my bad BUT I'm leaving that comment enjoy.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 10, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Eugenics aren't evil because of Hitler; Hitler was evil because he practiced eugenics.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Sweden practiced eugenics into the 70's, as a direct continuation of the ideals of racial purity that the Nazis adopted. I think Hitler might have done something more to justify people calling him evil, because no one really seemed to care much about what the Swedes were doing.

StabbinHobo posted:

net-metering for residential solar is just another subsidy for suburban housing. to hell with it.
Yeah, it's wealth redistribution from the poorest to the (upper) middle class, on top of encouraging an unstable production pattern which the public at large has to deal with.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Ny magazine has an article describing where we're heading: The Uninhabitable Earth. Nothing new for people here but perhaps better readable for other people than scientific papers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

9-Volt Assault posted:

Ny magazine has an article describing where we're heading: The Uninhabitable Earth. Nothing new for people here but perhaps better readable for other people than scientific papers.

I'm pretty far north living in New Hampshire.

Reading stuff like this makes me want to head further north.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

OhFunny posted:

I'm pretty far north living in New Hampshire.

Reading stuff like this makes me want to head further north.

we're all dead no matter where we live, friend

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Aves Maria! posted:

we're all dead no matter where we live, friend

I'll cling to whatever driftwood I can find.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's going to be wild when it's warm enough for Antarctica to be considered habitable*.

*I doubt it would be a nice place to live because it would just be rocks and you probably won't be able to grow anything there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The balmy Greenland archipielago.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

9-Volt Assault posted:

This owns and also makes me want to emigrate to Canada. I wonder where their biggest Arctic port(s) will be?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

9-Volt Assault posted:

Glad the article pointed out the detrimental effects of high CO2 concentration on human cognition, which a few weeks ago posters in this thread were decrying as "not a real problem."

1000ppm by end of century isn't even the worst case scenario, for gently caress's sake.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Glad the article pointed out the detrimental effects of high CO2 concentration on human cognition, which a few weeks ago posters in this thread were decrying as "not a real problem."

1000ppm by end of century isn't even the worst case scenario, for gently caress's sake.

The something awful climate thread: climate change makes you stupid! :haw:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/884298898172510208

quote:

Canada declares state of emergency in British Columbia as 138 ‘extraordinary’ wildfires spread over province

Dry weather and lightning strikes stoke the worst forest fires in over a decade

The Canadian state of British Columbia has advised around 3,000 people to evacuate and declared a state of emergency as wildfires sweep through the province.

More than 138 new wildfires broke out on Saturday alone, raising the total to about 240, according to local media reports.

One firefighter said: "I've been in this business for 17 years... and I haven't experienced a day like we experienced yesterday."

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/884308235603333121

quote:

A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are happening now or imminent, according to the NWS.

The warnings follow a heatwave that saw more than 40 high-temperature records set or tied Saturday across the West, including in Los Angeles; Las Vegas, Nevada; Helena, Montana; and Boise, Idaho.

The [Whittier] fire began Saturday and expanded quickly, county spokeswoman Gina DePinto said. Its cause was unknown.

The fire has claimed more than 7,800 acres and was only 5% contained Sunday night, Cal Fire tweeted.

The flames spread to several recreational areas such as Camp Whittier and Lake Cachuma, forcing visitors to abandon tents, RVs and boats. A sheriff's vehicle was also destroyed east of Lake Cachuma but the deputy was not hurt, a county spokesman said on Twitter.

More fires in California

On Sunday, Gov. Jerry Brown proclaimed a state of emergency in Butte County, in northern California, because of a wildfire.

Officials ordered the evacuation of more than 300 homes in Butte County due to the fire, a spokeswoman for Cal Fire said. By Sunday evening approximately 4,000 people had been evacuated, according to the Cal Fire website.

The blaze known as Wall Fire started Friday and by Sunday evening had burned 5,600 acres and was 25% contained, officials said.

Forty-five fires are burning across the Western part of the US, according to the US Forest Service. Fires are burning from New Mexico and Arizona, to Washington and Montana. Hot and dry conditions will worsen the ongoing wildfire activity in the West, the NWS said Sunday night.

https://twitter.com/AlexSteffen/status/883410275285647360

https://twitter.com/AlexSteffen/status/883411064188157952

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-images-capture-worst-siberian-wildfires-in-10-000-years

quote:

NASA Images Capture Worst Siberian Wildfires in 10,000 Years

Every year, Siberia is struck by wildfires that destroy great swathes of boreal forest. But climate change has caused wildfire activity in Siberia to increase radically over the past few decades.

The boreal forests in Siberia are burning at extraordinary rates, unheard of in at least 10,000 years, and climate change projections predict even more wildfires to come.

The current wildfires, which started in late June, have already burned roughly 538 square kilometres (133,000 acres) of forest in southern Siberia.

Climate change has been increasing temperatures across the globe, but northernmost regions, like Siberia, are experiencing temperature inclines at twice the rate. Since November, temperatures in southern Siberia have been up 4°C (7.2°F) from the average. And as the weather turns drier and warmer, the forests in the region become more and more prone to wildfires.

These wildfires are a direct threat to the role of Siberian forests in absorbing carbon emissions.

The situation is good, and normal.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 10, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Death spiral!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

9-Volt Assault posted:

Interesting article, but seems a bit simplified? At least there's some stuff in that article that some nitpicking denier is sure to try and pick apart in his infowar. Article should probably be the new OP with the title "we are so loving screwed".

In a recent letter published in Nature, former Climate bigwig for the UN, Christiana Figueres et al gives us about three years to get our poo poo together. It's well worth a read, it might be possibly less depressing than that NY magazine and has actual science and sources and such behind it.

Nature posted:

Three years to safeguard our climate

Christiana Figueres and colleagues set out a six-point plan for turning the tide of the world’s carbon dioxide by 2020.

"The technology-driven transition to low-carbon energy is well under way, a trend that made the 2015 Paris climate agreement possible. But there is still a long way to go to decarbonize the world economy. The political winds are blustery. President Donald Trump has announced that the United States will withdraw from the Paris agreement when it is legally able to do so, in November 2020.

The year 2020 is crucially important for another reason, one that has more to do with physics than politics. When it comes to climate, timing is everything. According to an April report1 (prepared by Carbon Tracker in London, the Climate Action Tracker consortium, the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany and Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut), should emissions continue to rise beyond 2020, or even remain level, the temperature goals set in Paris become almost unattainable. The UN Sustainable Development Goals that were agreed in 2015 would also be at grave risk."

https://www.nature.com/news/three-years-to-safeguard-our-climate-1.22201

So, plague or a mid-sized nuclear war v. unilateral action to peak emissions pretty much immediately. With Trump in office, I'd go for nuclear war if I were a betting man. If you need me I'll be in my bunker.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

If you need me I'll be in my bunker.

I'd rather be at ground zero than having to deal with a post apocalyptic society without my loving medicine.

Edit: The alternative is some poor sod running into me while I'm in a nihilistic bloodrage :unsmigghh:

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 10, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You silly liberal, forest fires have existed for as long as forests have! This is normal!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden practiced eugenics into the 70's, as a direct continuation of the ideals of racial purity that the Nazis adopted. I think Hitler might have done something more to justify people calling him evil, because no one really seemed to care much about what the Swedes were doing.

Yeah and the Nazi's were inspired by the eugenics system the US was practicing before Hitler was on the radar. Sterilized the poo poo out of a bunch of people

skull mask mcgee posted:

Eugenics aren't evil because of Hitler; Hitler was evil because he practiced eugenics.

Nope, eugenics is evil.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Is there an article that is along the lines of the grist.org article in the old OP, but updated with recent global efforts/projections/data?

This is the article I'm referring to: http://grist.org/climate-change/2011-12-05-the-brutal-logic-of-climate-change/ by David Roberts

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Is there an article that is along the lines of the grist.org article in the old OP, but updated with recent global efforts/projections/data?

This is the article I'm referring to: http://grist.org/climate-change/2011-12-05-the-brutal-logic-of-climate-change/ by David Roberts

Updating the OP would only scare people away.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This is why all those idiots who think humanity can overcome climate change are so foolish, re: that NYT article about rooftop solar. We can't even get *that* going at this stage in the game.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I just read the article and its sequel and they were still very relevant and probably even more worrying to read 7 years later with the knowledge that so little has been done.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

enraged_camel posted:

You silly liberal, forest fires have existed for as long as forests have! This is normal!

Also as winters get warmer and longer the chances of mass die-off of a lot trees rises because plants need a dormant period or else they just die from lack of rest!

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Between the Russian methane gas bubble theory becoming a reality and the sharp increase in forest fires, I must say the future is quite grim. I'm going to convert to solar (assuming it hasn't been made illegal in my state), get an electric car, and continue to favor political candidates that put climate change at the forefront, but the reality is we are 10, 20, or 100 years too late. We are living through and causing a geological event that will either end our species or form the basis for the religious myths of our descendants.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

After reading the NY Magazine review, can we just change the topic to Climate Change: Human Extinction is Inevitable. Because let's face it - we're hosed. At the rate we're going the extinction of the human race is pretty much inevitable. It's now a case of when.

Even grouping together there's only a small chance of reducing emissions and we're all forgetting that doesn't just mean making sure we don't reach a certain threshold, but also maintaining under that threshold (and reducing it), forever. In order to do that we'd have to perform massive amounts of socio-economic changes, some of which would requite drastic measures that will leave most people less well off for entire generations.

And that's ignoring the whole idea of grouping together in the first place. The Paris accords are teetering on a knife edge as is and don't really do nearly enough. America has already pulled out because they decided to appoint a literal idiot child as their President, so one of the worlds largest nations can't be provided on to make intelligent decisions anymore. China might not necessarily follow the agreements because their Government is attempting to balance advancement with environmental change. That leaves a smattering of nations that can't do enough without a unified world approach - something that hasn't really been achieved before.

Then there's the problem of actually drilling into the public's thick loving skulls that poo poo is bad and is going to get drastically worse. I'd argue the NY Magazine was being timid. Alot of "may happen, could happen, might happen." gently caress that, show the world the cancer they're creating then explain in a decade or two that this will be outside their house. Remove the may haves and go for "It's gonna happen and your bunker isn't going to save you." Frighten everyone into action because that's the only way anyone is going to sit up and go "Oh hang on, maybe this global warming stuff is serious?"

It's too late though. I think my friend and I are right when we discussed it a few weeks back. The only way things would change is if something catastrophic happened in the western world that immediately wiped out people dead. If the sun set fire to a state and hundred of thousands of people died in a day maybe then something would change, but currently? We're hosed. We probably deserve to be hosed. I just hope whatever crawls out of the ice age after us is a bit more self aware than us.

:smith:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Even though the NY Mag article is super grim, it still leaves out the fact that CCS is a unicorn-level fantasy and will be for the forseeable future, and has a hilarious and completely unsubstantiated amount of optimism at the end. It's clear that even the author can't fully engage with what this means: stop having kids, disengage from society, and enjoy what's left of Earth's beauty while you still can.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don't worry nuclear winter will cancel it out.

Seriously according to Wikipedia recent studies say nuclear winter following a US-Russia exchange is -8C for a decade.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That NYM article was great. It's making the rounds more than most, too. Yeah, it's too optimistic at the end for no good reason, but it doesn't gloss over the major theme of "we're boned".

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WMain00 posted:

After reading the NY Magazine review, can we just change the topic to Climate Change: Human Extinction is Inevitable. Because let's face it - we're hosed. At the rate we're going the extinction of the human race is pretty much inevitable. It's now a case of when.

Human extinction was always inevitable :shrug:

hobbesmaster posted:

Seriously according to Wikipedia recent studies say nuclear winter following a US-Russia exchange is -8C for a decade.

But after the nuclear winter has settled down we'll see a rebound to a degree or so hotter than it is now, as the global dimming effect we're causing with our constant carbon emissions will have been eliminated alongside western civilization.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Conspiratiorist posted:

Human extinction was always inevitable :shrug:

But after the nuclear winter has settled down we'll see a rebound to a degree or so hotter than it is now, as the global dimming effect we're causing with our constant carbon emissions will have been eliminated alongside western civilization.

Just launch more nukes.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Remember that Simpsons episode where there was some invasive species and they kept talking about bringing in different species to take out the previous species until it ended with... I think gorillas dying in the harsh winter or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Climate Change: What is to be Done?

The old climate change thread long ago descended into people either succumbing to despair, or rehashing them same old arguments over and over. This thread (and first post) is an attempt to cover the basics of the old thread, and then point the new discussion more towards solutions and action. For that reason, especially if your post is “how do I argue with this dumbass?” or “oh god we’re all screwed gently caress gently caress gently caress”, please actually read the relevant sections in this big ‘ol dumb OP I’ve made before posting. That said, I know I’ve typed far too many words to expect anyone to actually read any of this, but here they are anyways:

*Cut post that is far too many words to expect anyone to read*

History repeats itself in more ways than one, it seems.