Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Claim//Fame basically has the text 3 mana - steal the game or make a value play

I'd probably cut K-Commands for it. Yeah it makes your deck a little more fragile but K-Command is already kind of a clunky card in a deck that wants to be able to function with 2-3 lands and 90% of the time your main mode for it is "get creature back" anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'd probably cut K-Commands for it. Yeah it makes your deck a little more fragile but K-Command is already kind of a clunky card in a deck that wants to be able to function with 2-3 lands and 90% of the time your main mode for it is "get creature back" anyway.

I'm seriously not trying to be difficult here, but I use it to blow up artifacts quite a bit. I'm never going to run into an open meta without kcomm in the main vs claim//fame.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Maro posted:

For Hazoret's Undying Fury we were looking at the more casual formats, Commander in particular.

:psyduck: From here

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, I don't remember the last time Magic has been in such an unhealthy state in regards to Standard. Caw Blade meta, maybe, but that didn't last anywhere near as long as the endless issues that they've had since the last 3 set block with KtK.

Ixalan from what the leaks showed doesn't look to be very powerful either, which bodes ill for the post rotation meta when most of the stuff that can compete with energy decks is gone.

EDIT: This set isn't Born of the Gods level bad, to be fair. That set had about 3 constructed playable cards in it all together, if even that.

The prerelease turnout shouldn't be that linked to Standard, there just aren't that many exciting cards in the set for any format. Many of the constructed cards here are answers which just kind of evokes a 'well shouldn't we have had these already?' from competitive players, and casual players don't really care about removal packages.

To compare to BNG, there's nothing as blatant here as Courser of Kruphix or Brimaz that you can point to and say 'this will clearly be a format staple for a while'. Plus there's no dual lands which are the usual fallback for obvious constructed value. I think the rare Eternalize guys are probably strong but they're very subtle about it.

I think it's too early to be making judgments on the power level of the leaked Ixalan cards, but if Standard is all energy and vehicles decks still after rotation then that's more on Kaladesh block being overtuned than the newer sets being undertuned. I think a Standard where all the sets were at the power/synergy level of Amonkhet would be successful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's basically gonna be your best late game top deck ever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I would never run this card in the main. What does it do game 1 against stuff like affinity, titan shift, elves, storm?

Use it on snapcasters to reuse more of your removal/discard, or grab a Death Shadow that got milled with Tome Scour, etc.

The back side lets you get an occasional blowout, but is not the reason you play the card.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I don't think even the casual-est edh players I know would let Undying Fury anywhere near their decks. Maybe if it didn't freeze all of their lands?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mark Rosewater is a loving moron (and doesn't know jack or poo poo about commander), news at 11.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ZeroCount posted:

I don't think even the casual-est edh players I know would let Undying Fury anywhere near their decks. Maybe if it didn't freeze all of their lands?

Pick 2 to make it remotely viable.

If it didn't freeze your lands
If it revealed until 4 eligible targets were revealed
If it was instant
If it didn't shuffle your library to start

Especially the last. Triggering an unshortcuttable shuffle in commander is really annoying.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The Shortest Path posted:

Mark Rosewater is a loving moron (and doesn't know jack or poo poo about commander), news at 11.

Not even just commander, these cards that either are hot garbage or broken bullshit with no in-between are terrible to have around in general. Outcomes determined by randomness are not fun in strategy games.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I mean, the shuffle is so you can't control what cards you're getting for free and you could probably shortcut through it unless you know something about the ordering of your deck, much as is usually done with Mind's Desire. The fact that the card is garbage on power level and probably even worse in EDH is something you can't shortcut your way through, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

"EDH players love Hearthstone, right?"

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

"EDH players love Hearthstone, right?"

The closest HS card I can think to this sort of effect is Yogg-Saron only Yogg was extremely powerful and cool while this card sucks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They should print a Yogg copy in the new Un set tbh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

Cedric Phillips went on record in his podcast that he has been mentally done with Magic for 18 months or so, and is essentially leaving the game to focus on his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. He indicated he would still be involved in some more SCG coverage, so I'm not sure what he defines as "leaving" magic exactly.

This can't be real can it? This has to be a even dumber decision than Todd Stephens leaving his teaching career to do magic full time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Over the history of Magic Online, we have published a steady stream of decklists for players to explore and learn from, but the way we do that has changed over time. Our current method for presenting decklists for Magic Online Leagues is to randomly select ten of the top-performing decklists per format per day. Starting July 10, we will be reducing the total number of top decklists being presented per day from ten to five, and each of these decklists will be randomly selected with the caveat that each list will be at least ten cards different from every other list.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/magic-online-posted-decklist-changes-2017-07-05

the temur tower meme will rise again

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

Cedric Phillips went on record in his podcast that he has been mentally done with Magic for 18 months or so, and is essentially leaving the game to focus on his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. He indicated he would still be involved in some more SCG coverage, so I'm not sure what he defines as "leaving" magic exactly.

This reminds me of an acquaintance of mine that decided to quit his job around 7 years ago and stop all other hobbies to become a professional baseball player - he had never played baseball outside of high school level (where he wasn't even on varsity) and an adult softball league. He happened to be the best softball player in his league (supposedly) but I always thought adult softball leagues were excuses for people to go out play some sports, talk poo poo, and get drunk with their buddies on a Saturday / Sunday without incurring the scorn of their spouse. He got a job at some baseball training facility (for kids / high school level players) and dropped all his extra money on classes / training stuff.

I saw him a number of years later, he had gained about double his body weight (not bodybuilder status), was in N.A. meetings, and was working the door at a lovely dive bar / music venue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

This can't be real can it? This has to be a even dumber decision than Todd Stephens leaving his teaching career to do magic full time.

When I read the description of the podcast I was like "this can't be real, right?" then I listened to it and it was very real indeed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

statistics have an irritating habit of showing the metagame is solved, so we altered the statistics so they insist it's not no matter what

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I am sure everyone involved is a gigantic idiot. Wotc doing dumb stuff yet again. Aaron should not still be employed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

People are probably going to Get Mad about them suppressing info again, and rightly so, but based on past standard formats that we had the MTGGoldfish matchup statistics for, it's definitely true that there's less correlation than people think between the metagame share of a deck and its success rate. They should just let us have that info back instead of this approach, but I guess it was more important to them to hide the fact that the Sphinx's Tutelage deck was unplayable than to show the fact that all the other decks in that Standard were reasonably balanced against each other.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FUUUUUUUUCK this.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Imagine trying to present yourself as a competitive game while also doing your best to hide metagame information from your players.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

quote:

Our goal isn't to make an unsolvable metagame; that is basically impossible. Instead, we want to make sure there is enough variation and flex in the metagame that the amount of time it takes (on average) for the community to solve the metagame is longer than that particular metagame exists. So, for Battle for Zendikar Standard, ideally it would take players longer than until February to solve the format, at which point Oath of the Gatewatch will come out.
– Some dude working at Wizards, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
EDIT: I need to wake up more

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 10, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Data suppression is cool, good and the sign of a healthy company making healthy decisions

E: like I look at results on mtgtop8 plenty to get an idea of cards I want to pick up and I doubt I'm the only one so gj making a decision that results in players buying fewer singles I guess??

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 10, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
In a plot twist standard fucks itself again and the results consist of just one deck

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheMaestroso posted:

I guess it can work okay with other cards that mitigate this drawback (and Vedalkan Orrery would mitigate another), but on its own it's a pretty tough sell. These two cards might work with it:

That is, if the interaction works like I expect it to (skipping the first phrase and just looking at the top four).

Shuffling is not searching.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Shuffling is not searching.

Sorry, I must not be awake enough

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

quote:

Since we have been presenting a random selection of top-performing decks, even if a deck doesn't have a particularly high win rate, it can appear to be extremely dominant if it's widely played. With only this information, it's not possible to disentangle win percentage and metagame percentage. This can lead, and at times has led, to feedback cycles where a deck appears more dominant than it would otherwise, which leads to an even greater percentage of play.

IF YOU PUBLISH LESS DATA, THE PERSON WHO 5-0s WITH A BREW THAT BEATS T1 DECKS HAS AN EVEN LESSER CHANCE OF SHOWING UP IN PUBLISHED RESULTS. ALSO SHRINKING YOUR SAMPLE SIZE MAKES YOUR DATA LESS RELIABLE YOU IDIOTS. :psyduck:

Also the whole "everyone's just playing follow the leader and netdecking" thing doesn't hold up over a very large sample size and is a dumb myth. MTGO is responsible for a lot of the decks in Modern right now. It didn't take a pro tour for people to play Dredge (which necessitated a ban and now has a different build), Baral Storm, Eldrazi Tron, etc. Successful brews get played and a lack of them isn't because a lack of trying.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 10, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm 99% sure that just giving us full-on winrate data would tell a much more optimistic story about the top Standard decks than what they currently publish, but they seem deathly afraid of little Johnny finding out that his turbofog deck only wins at 38%.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm 99% sure that just giving us full-on winrate data would tell a much more optimistic story about the top Standard decks than what they currently publish, but they seem deathly afraid of little Johnny finding out that his turbofog deck only wins at 38%.

little johnny would never know how to look up that data in the first place

gently caress i barely know

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I remember reading making magic back in my high schools library pre-2003. I remember an article possibly by maro about how big a deal Grinning Demon was to print. I like maro, but it always feels like he is just saying the same 20 things over and over again and it makes him unreadable/unlistenable.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For curiousity's sake, yesterday's MTGO standings are:
  • Hydra
  • Vehicles
  • Oketra's Monument
  • Monument
  • Monument Again
  • Constrictor
  • Constrictor
  • Hydra
  • Hydra
  • Emerge or something
Which is, oddly enough, five decks total.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Looking forward to this week's FNM draft

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I don't think him wanting to go into wrestling is dumb. He's a terrific broadcaster and can probably do well broadcasting anything. Him wanting to be a wrestler himself seems dumb. Also, he said he makes 6 figures doing magic stuff...

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Looking forward to this week's FNM draft

Angry Girlfriend?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Angry Girlfriend?

Top banning.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Not even just commander, these cards that either are hot garbage or broken bullshit with no in-between are terrible to have around in general. Outcomes determined by randomness are not fun in strategy games.

yea those do-nothing red enchantments we get every set are such a loving waste of cardboard/time/money. unplayable 95% of the time but it'll all be worth it i guess when they gently caress up in the other direction, pyromancer ascension style, and have to ban a bunch of cards

TheKingofSprings posted:

like I look at results on mtgtop8 plenty to get an idea of cards I want to pick up and I doubt I'm the only one so gj making a decision that results in players buying fewer singles I guess??

that is the biggest reason hiding decklists are dumb. our design/development methods suck, so instead of focusing on improving the user experience of playing the game, we are going to make things even more inaccessible to newer players

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
imagine how much money and time went into wotc determining that the reason customers weren't having fun playing standard is that they had an unreliable estimate of how many people played aetherworks marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

little munchkin posted:

imagine how much money and time went into wotc determining that the reason customers weren't having fun playing standard is that they had an unreliable estimate of how many people played aetherworks marvel

principalskinner.png