Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How dare you critique cinematography in a film discussion forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

do you hope someone got fired for that blunder

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

you guys must be real fun at parties

I'm definitely not

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's factually true that longer cuts look better, but there's a budget limit and a time limit to what directors can do to get them. it's a bit ironic that the foot scenes in baby driver were all way better than the car scenes (i dont think anyone can deny that hocus pocus was the peak of the movie, unless they're countering with tequila, which was also on foot), but i can forgive that since 1) edgar wright isn't that experienced with car films to begin with, 2) his directorial style overall is still really good, and 3) this movie is also really good

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

Exactly. The cut to the car spinning back around shows it with almost no momentum, and then the clip cuts out. I can't remember exactly what happens next, but I reckon its a shot of him accelerating again.

It's a shot of him accelerating again, after the car has already turned 90° between cuts to hide just how slow that part of the turn would have had to have been. It then also cuts out him getting around the third truck.

It's just a difference in what you look for. I looked at the whole alley, wondered how he'd get through all that, and then they only showed half of it. That half looks great. But I was left wondering what happened to the other half. Some people noticed that, some didn't, either is fine.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Of course I don't know how it's done, why would I?

Because you posted that it wasn't mysterious, which I didn't realize meant you simply didn't give a poo poo. Which is fine, it was just a misreading on my part.

Spergatory posted:

The shot works. It's fine. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but it clearly works for most people because that exact shot is in the trailer in that exact order and it never fails to get a reaction.

Sure, that's fine. Whenever I'm in a theater and the Minions show up in a trailer, people lose their minds, and that doesn't work for me either. I'm not trying to argue that you, Spergatory, secretly didn't like the sequence. Just trying to explain my own reaction.

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's factually true that longer cuts look better, but there's a budget limit and a time limit to what directors can do to get them.

I'm sure some of my reaction is the moving being overhyped for me, and that I'll enjoy it better on a rewatch. And it'll have all the little Edgar Wright details that aren't obvious the first time through. When people were calling it an amazing car movie, it didn't come across as "decent for its budget," but that's fine.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 10, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Edgar Wright movies have a high minimum number of cuts. It's his style.

The 3 minute single take coffee run meant he had to squeeze in more cuts in other places and one of them was after the car spun around.

Unfortunate, really. But it had to be done.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
The movie is an editing masterpiece but like a 4/10 on the "ridiculous car stunt" scale.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Unoriginal Name posted:

The movie is an editing masterpiece but like a 4/10 on the "ridiculous car stunt" scale.

It's no Blues Brothers on that front, that's for sure.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

It didn't help that Buddy was killing off qualified crew members for stupid reasons.

It felt like maybe they had a really good rotating crew and things went downhill with Nose and Hat. I don't think anyone had died on Baby's missions prior to that and then they had two heists in a row with deaths.

Spacey had a line about never using the same person twice on a crew except for Baby when he was strong arming him into being a driver again. But then he immediately goes and gets people he's already used for the post office robbery, so... I'm confused. Also I couldn't stop staring at Spacey's awful dye job when he was on screen. I hope it was intentional.

Think I'm in the good but not great camp. Fun in the beginning but got messy at the end. I'm a fan of Jon Hamm but was pretty underwhelmed here. Jamie Foxx stole the show. And I know this is a real loving low bar, but it's always nice to see a Theater Movie that's a fresh and closed story instead of being a remake, sequel, or setting up/continuing an extended universe.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

Spacey had a line about never using the same person twice on a crew except for Baby when he was strong arming him into being a driver again. But then he immediately goes and gets people he's already used for the post office robbery, so... I'm confused. Also I couldn't stop staring at Spacey's awful dye job when he was on screen. I hope it was intentional.

Think I'm in the good but not great camp. Fun in the beginning but got messy at the end. I'm a fan of Jon Hamm but was pretty underwhelmed here. Jamie Foxx stole the show. And I know this is a real loving low bar, but it's always nice to see a Theater Movie that's a fresh and closed story instead of being a remake, sequel, or setting up/continuing an extended universe.

he never uses the same entire crew. recycling individual members is fine in his book

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I suspect that's a way to keep the talent isolated and under his control.

Did they use code names? I can't remember if they had code names.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Krispy Kareem posted:

I suspect that's a way to keep the talent isolated and under his control.

Did they use code names? I can't remember if they had code names.

Yeah, we got the real names for Bats, Darling, Buddy, and Baby (Leon, Monica, Jason, and Miles)I'm sure there's some deeper, Wrightian meaning to those names (beyond the obvious Miles Davis reference) but I dunno what it is.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I mean, Miles...cars...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how many people Spacey cycles in and out of jobs. Depending on how many you do it'd become a huge maths problem to ensure that the same group is never repeated.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, we got the real names for Bats, Darling, Buddy, and Baby (Leon, Monica, Jason, and Miles)I'm sure there's some deeper, Wrightian meaning to those names (beyond the obvious Miles Davis reference) but I dunno what it is.

I just assumed Miles was an anagram of Smiel, the German Olympic cyclist from the early 20th century.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Numlock posted:

I saw the Evil Dead remake one row up from some Mom(?) who brought her two 8-10ish kids to see it. The kids to their credit were more confused than anything and they left half way through.

No idea how the theater staff even let her buy the tickets for that one.

Edit: consulted with a friend who was there and he says he saw them sneak in.

I saw The Evil Dead remake in a theater where someone brought a literal baby. It cried several times during the movie, and the mom would leave and come back each time. Who brings an infant to any movie?

Also, I never realized this was going to be R-rated (I avoided most of the press for this movie) so the bits of intense violence and f-bombs surprised me. I really enjoyed this overall, not sure where I'd rank it among Wrights other films. I'm one of those people who LOVES Scott Pilgrim and Hot Fuzz, so I certainly wouldn't put it above either of those.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

Spergatory posted:

What I want to know is how deaf is Baby at the end of the movie. In the original script, it's pretty clear that he couldn't hear at all, but I guess at some point they realized that having the last 5 minutes of the movie be completely silent or just a high-pitched whine would be really depressing. The sound is really muffled immediately post-showdown, and then just kind of echo-y for the rest of the movie. It's also possibly the first time the music in the movie isn't diegetic; from the second he turns the car off, all the music is in Baby's head. It's clear something has changed for the worse, but he seems largely aware of when people are talking to him and it seems in that last shot that he can kind of hear the tv.

Just saw the movie today. From what it looked like to me, his hearing had improved at the end. The muffled sound returns to normal as soon as the doctor examines him which to me implied that he eventually received some sort of medical care which helped.

Rinaldi fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 11, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder how many people Spacey cycles in and out of jobs. Depending on how many you do it'd become a huge maths problem to ensure that the same group is never repeated.

Not particularly, just combinatorics. He uses Baby as his only driver, so even if you have, say, a pool of 20 people people to fit into the other three car seats (because everyone refuses to sit in the middle back) you can still manage 1140 heists.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bewilderment posted:

Not particularly, just combinatorics. He uses Baby as his only driver, so even if you have, say, a pool of 20 people people to fit into the other three car seats (because everyone refuses to sit in the middle back) you can still manage 1140 heists.

You forgot to account for Darling and Buddy, I don't think they heist without each other.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How good would a prequel work? Baby had done probably 3 or 4 heists prior to Baby Driver and you could still use all the cool characters from the first movie (except Hat and Bats).

The upside - lots more budget for chases. Downside - everyone knows exactly who lives.

Coffee And Pie posted:

You forgot to account for Darling and Buddy, I don't think they heist without each other.

His and Her criminals. Always a pair.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 11, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

How good would a prequel work? Baby had done probably 3 or 4 heists prior to Baby Driver and you could still use all the cool characters from the first movie (except Hat and Bats).

Doc said Baby had been working for him for nearly a decade, didn't he? I think he's done way more than 3 or 4 heists. One of the former getaway drivers Edgar Wright interviewed got away with something like 30 bank robberies before he was caught.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean, Miles...cars...

After baby gets out of prison

"It's not the years honey, it's the milage" . :smug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
After listening to quite a few interviews, I am coming to the realization that Edgar Wright is sort of, like, sort of, basically, like sort of, sort of like, basically kind of terrible at talking.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tarantino is also...alright?...pretty bad....alright?....at talking...alright?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spergatory posted:

After listening to quite a few interviews, I am coming to the realization that Edgar Wright is sort of, like, sort of, basically, like sort of, sort of like, basically kind of terrible at talking.

He'd be pretty ace on your bar trivia team, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8wwAXaSO0o

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Saw it a second time. Still good, but the sound in the cinema really let the film down and the overall product suffers quite a drat bit when that happens. A lot of the musical scenes fell sort of flat, and the gunshots and cars almost entirely drowned out the music.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Krispy Kareem posted:

Apparently Kevin Spacey is pushing for a prequel rather than a sequel, at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Apparently Kevin Spacey is pushing for a prequel rather than a sequel, at least.

I don't think corpse with pancaked head is exactly a role Spacey wants to be playing, soooooo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“cptn_dr”" post="“474272406”"]
[/quote]

Well duh.

Netflix doesn’t pay that much. Our boy Spacey wants to get in on some sequel goodness.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Saw it a second time. Still good, but the sound in the cinema really let the film down and the overall product suffers quite a drat bit when that happens. A lot of the musical scenes fell sort of flat, and the gunshots and cars almost entirely drowned out the music.

I really want this movie on my computer so I can inject that sweet, sweet sound design directly into my ear canal like it was meant to be. :okpos:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I say side-quel. Show us what Doc was getting up to when not delivering heist plans.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just two hours of Kevin Spacey hanging out with Killer Mike and Big Boi

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Loved the bit where they force him to play his "was he slow?" tape.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cptn_dr posted:

Just two hours of Kevin Spacey hanging out with Killer Mike and Big Boi

I'm in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That’s why Doc was taken aback by Baby’s “Was He Slow” mix.

Doc’s other job is a music producer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saw this in a surprisingly mixed theater (lot of old people, teenagers, everything) and while walking out didn't hear a single bad word, heard a lot of "wow I didn't think it would be that good".

Might be my least favorite Edgar Wright movie, but as a movie in general it's absolutely fantastic and I was surprised how much I ended up liking Baby (and even Buddy and Spacey had great nuance to their characters)

The final act was a total shock, especially Spacey actually showing that the real reason he keeps Baby around is that he loves him like a son

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Debbie singing B-A-B-Y when she's first introduced is maybe the nicest sound on the planet.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Does Edgar Wright realize that in a little over a decade he's going to have to deal with a bunch of angry teenagers who blame him for their idiot parents naming them "Baby" not realizing that they would eventually grow into non-babies?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spergatory posted:

Does Edgar Wright realize that in a little over a decade he's going to have to deal with a bunch of angry teenagers who blame him for their idiot parents naming them "Baby" not realizing that they would eventually grow into non-babies?

I don't think this is gonna be a thing. Shaun of the Dead didn't inspire a wave of Shauns or Eds, and Hot Fuzz didn't inspire a wave of Nicks or Dannies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Spergatory posted:

any person serious enough about this movie will name their kid Miles and just call them Baby.

Though I do kinda wish his name actually had been Baby. After Jon Hamm says "what are you stupid, you know we don't use our real names" it would make perfect sense for Baby, who really doesn't belong in that world, to have a name that just naturally sounds like a code name.

• Locked thread