Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Murder heli got blinged up with a new landing gear, which allowed me to hang a larger battery, 3 axis gimbal (or mapping camera).
It pulls about 22amp @ 4S (~350Watts), so that gives me about 25 mins with the gimbal and a bit more with the mapping camera.
It needs a little retuning with the heavier weight, but my ground control station was acting up (Attempting to do a windows update without a wifi connection, whee!).
(I also forgot to turn on the gopro and captured nothing!).

The gimbal is home-rolled, using a Storm32NT controller and I kinda hate it. It's a pain to set up right and I'm close to tossing it.
Documentation is a mess, the creator a bit of a jerk, but it offers direct control from the pixhawk via serial connection and in general have features that none of the other has. I'm real tempted to get the Quanum 3axis FY Pro, but again, I *really* want to be able to point on a map and say 'point camera here'.

Edit: I got out again later in the day. Take-off is manual, the rest is auto, including the landing. I do 'nudge' it into the center of the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocAZLP-Qdw

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Is it really lovely on your lipos to unplug them mid charge to resume later? With all the talk of how dangerous these are I've got in the habit of unplugging them if for instance the dog has to go out or something

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Is it really lovely on your lipos to unplug them mid charge to resume later? With all the talk of how dangerous these are I've got in the habit of unplugging them if for instance the dog has to go out or something
No it's completely fine. If anything it'll allow the cells to settle a bit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AcidRonin posted:

Whenever I do this I just put the battery in question at the "end of the line" and charge it the rest of the way after the other ones.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Murder heli got blinged up with a new landing gear, which allowed me to hang a larger battery, 3 axis gimbal (or mapping camera).
It pulls about 22amp @ 4S (~350Watts), so that gives me about 25 mins with the gimbal and a bit more with the mapping camera.
It needs a little retuning with the heavier weight, but my ground control station was acting up (Attempting to do a windows update without a wifi connection, whee!).
(I also forgot to turn on the gopro and captured nothing!).

The gimbal is home-rolled, using a Storm32NT controller and I kinda hate it. It's a pain to set up right and I'm close to tossing it.
Documentation is a mess, the creator a bit of a jerk, but it offers direct control from the pixhawk via serial connection and in general have features that none of the other has. I'm real tempted to get the Quanum 3axis FY Pro, but again, I *really* want to be able to point on a map and say 'point camera here'.

Edit: I got out again later in the day. Take-off is manual, the rest is auto, including the landing. I do 'nudge' it into the center of the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocAZLP-Qdw

That's really cool, nice work!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's a neat setup. Holy loving vibration tho :/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
whoda thunk, hking promised the tundras back in stock today, and they aren't. This got put on the bg store though and it looks good https://www.banggood.com/search/zohd-nano-talon.html

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 4, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I love that it has nano and 860mm in the same title.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah that's a neat setup. Holy loving vibration tho :/

Yeah, I could still improve on the tail tuning, but some of it, I suspect, is also coming from the gimbal. Just realised yesterday that the AlexMos BCG 32bit also supports serial input from the Pixhawk and I'm very tempted to change to that.
Meanwhile I'm also trying a different shockplate design...and I'll turn the stabilisation on in the GoPro :)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I love that it has nano and 860mm in the same title.

Its all relative I guess. the nano/micro skyhunter is 780mm

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

A bunch of the Bolt V2 lipos just went on sale, could be a good chance to try them. 1300 4S here. Edit: just remember you need a compatible charger for these "HV" packs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't HV packs good for like 30 charges? I guess you could run charge them as normal lipos but I'm curious what the real world C rating ends up being.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Aren't HV packs good for like 30 charges? I guess you could run charge them as normal lipos but I'm curious what the real world C rating ends up being.

My experience was that there's less sag, but you can't run them as low, which I often did and quickly killed them off.
In my opinion, if you want to run HV, don't mix and match, unless you are really disciplined.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My experience was that there's less sag, but you can't run them as low, which I often did and quickly killed them off.
That's really interesting, can you still reliably pull 80% of the rated cap out of older packs?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

On normal packs, even after 60+ cycles (the most I've gone before destroying one), I can still pull 80% of the rated mah. If that's also the case with HV packs provided you don't let them dip too low that's good to know, AFAI knew the HV packs were basically only good for ~20 cycles and then they got progressively more useless.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ah yeah, they seemed to be on par with my regular packs. I'm not flying much miniquads at the moment (probably wont until winter), but I'm now changing solely to Tattu 1300 75Cs.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ah yeah, they seemed to be on par with my regular packs. I'm not flying much miniquads at the moment (probably wont until winter), but I'm now changing solely to Tattu 1300 75Cs.

Still using Turnigy Graphenes for everything I can. Theyve been super reliable and have lasted over a year now for me.

Quads = 1550mAH 4S
Durafly Tundra = 2200mAH 3S

Have just ordered a Ritewing Mini Drak, not sure what to stick in that, probably a 4000mAH 4S Graphene. Or perhaps I can re-use the 5200 4S Multistars I use in my Mini Talon.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Most people want their mini drak to go fast (he's now cutting goblinish style plank wings to go even faster). You might want a higher c pack than the mulistar

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

moron izzard posted:

Most people want their mini drak to go fast (he's now cutting goblinish style plank wings to go even faster). You might want a higher c pack than the mulistar

That's what i was concerned about. Trying to reduce the amount of different batteries I have in stock!

The 5200 is rated 10C though, so should be good to 52A. I'm only putting a 60A ESC in it, so shouldn't cause an issue, unless that 10C rating is ... optimistic?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You could Y-harness 2 of your miniquad batteries.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Good idea, but might be more effort than it's worth trying to get them to fit in the battery bay. I'll wait for the airframe to arrive and see what I can fit in it!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Slash posted:

That's what i was concerned about. Trying to reduce the amount of different batteries I have in stock!

The 5200 is rated 10C though, so should be good to 52A. I'm only putting a 60A ESC in it, so shouldn't cause an issue, unless that 10C rating is ... optimistic?

The 10C rating on a multistar is very optimistic. A 10C rating means you can drain them in 6 minutes ... a buddy puffed two after aggressive 12 minute flights on his 450.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Slash posted:

Still using Turnigy Graphenes for everything I can. Theyve been super reliable and have lasted over a year now for me.

Quads = 1550mAH 4S
Durafly Tundra = 2200mAH 3S

Have just ordered a Ritewing Mini Drak, not sure what to stick in that, probably a 4000mAH 4S Graphene. Or perhaps I can re-use the 5200 4S Multistars I use in my Mini Talon.

That's good to hear I guess. I bought one Graphene a while back when I started getting parts for a quad build and fresh out of the box, one cell was at 1.9V. My charger wouldn't even recognize it. I was debating if I should try again or move to a different brand.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Finally getting around to putting a Vector into a fixed wing. Anyone ever had an issue with the controller jamming the ailerons all the way to one side on startup?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Geburan posted:

That's good to hear I guess. I bought one Graphene a while back when I started getting parts for a quad build and fresh out of the box, one cell was at 1.9V. My charger wouldn't even recognize it. I was debating if I should try again or move to a different brand.

HobbyKing are usually pretty good about returns, you should've got in contact and they'd have replaced it.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

BabelFish posted:

Finally getting around to putting a Vector into a fixed wing. Anyone ever had an issue with the controller jamming the ailerons all the way to one side on startup?
Did you manage to get this fixed? Daemon on rcgroups is pretty much the master of the Vector, you might post over there if you couldn't figure it out.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Did you manage to get this fixed? Daemon on rcgroups is pretty much the master of the Vector, you might post over there if you couldn't figure it out.

Yep! It turns out the "flaps" channel on the vector is not actually flaps, but should only be used if you're using flaperons. Once I unbound the channel the plane worked great.

Of course the windings in the motor were bad and blew both the motor and the ESC three minutes after takeoff, but that's becoming depressingly common lately.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 10, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72x-zGToTbk

Got the banshee out again..I love that plane!

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 10, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought a Mavic Pro :dance:

My entire city is one huge no fly zone :doh:

The weird thing is looking at their no fly zone maps on their website it shouldn't be one. Oh well It would have been nice to use some of the parks near my house.

Also holy poo poo this thing is fun / scary to fly. I've only taken it out once but I'm in love.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I'm jealous. I bought a Spark on release like an idiot and sure enough it's got issues (RC won't stay connected, pretty widespread problem on the forums). Just got a refund, maybe I'll buy another in a few minutesmonths when they get their poo poo together. Tempted to get a Mavic but the spark is just so god damned portable.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 10, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BabelFish posted:

Of course the windings in the motor were bad and blew both the motor and the ESC three minutes after takeoff, but that's becoming depressingly common lately.
The what now? Where were they from?

I only fly miniquads but I've never blown a motor without first molesting it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Same. Have yet to burn a motor or ESC. That said, I'm running presumably quality components. The stuff might not be cheap, but I'm not buying twice or thrice and spending time replacing poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

n.. posted:

I'm jealous. I bought a Spark on release like an idiot and sure enough it's got issues (RC won't stay connected, pretty widespread problem on the forums). Just got a refund, maybe I'll buy another in a few minutes when they get their poo poo together. Tempted to get a Mavic but the spark is just so god damned portable.

Yeah I looked at the Spark but then I found a Mavic on the Amazon warehouse for 800 so I jumped on it. The drat thing was brand new except for a dent in the box. The only issue I'm having is that I can't buy DJI refresh on it for some reason so I'm going back and forth with their support on that issue.

The Mavic is really small though It goes in my backpack with plenty of room to spare. Once I get the refresh issue sorted out I'm really going to take this thing out and play with it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I looked at the Spark but then I found a Mavic on the Amazon warehouse

If you order a drone from amazon and it's getting delivered by drone, can the drone just deliver itself?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

The what now? Where were they from?

I only fly miniquads but I've never blown a motor without first molesting it

These were the stock motor and ESC on the RMRC Stratosurfer. Not sure what make the motor is, but the ESC is the 40 amp Cobra.

My previous build was a RotorX Atom that had a motor blow as soon as I powered it up for the first time. Took the 2-in-1 20 amp ESC board with it too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So my current camera/VTX situation is turning me batshit.

I've made a harness to connect my TBS unify race to my runcam microswift. The VTX powers up fine, it feeds 5.1V to the camera (checked at the camera end to eliminate the connector), but all I get is a clean black screen. If I put a voltmeter across video and ground I get a constant .62V

It's not the goggles or antennas, if I wrap one of the antennas in my hand I get actual static.
It's not the JST, same thing happens with the cables hardwired to the camera pins.

the camera's getting power, what the hell? I've even tried a different camera (mini swift), same deal.

When the unify gets power it lights solid blue (aka, it's not in pit mode).

e: here's the setup, once extricated from the quad

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 12, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I only have the Unify Pro V1, but I think both the blue and amber LEDs are supposed to be lit in normal operation (at work, can't verify yet). Black image means the VTX thinks there's no signal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's only supposed to light both in unlocked mode. Normal operation is blue for TX, red for pit mode. According to the mania at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Try the camera on a known working setup. Also, take your lens cap off :D