Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pryce posted:

So if FFXIV is the first and only real FF game I've played (did a little of XV), is it a good gateway drug to trying something like the XII release this week? I used to say "I don't like JRPGs" but I'm starting to think I just wasn't playing good ones, and XII seems like it could be a good 'next step'.

FFXII could be an okay next step because it plays kinda more like an MMO than a JRPG. It does have major pacing problems though, about halfway through the game's story just completely stalls and nothing happens for like 6 dungeons. But FFXII will feel pretty familiar to you moving from FFXIV honestly, its structured in kinda a similar feeling way to FFXIV (or really FFXI).

If you really want to give JRPGs a chance on their own merit, I would start with something like Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 64 or even Earthbound. Then after that, play Final Fantasy 6, then your choice of 4,7,9,10 or whatever.

Have you played Chrono Trigger? Just go play Chrono Trigger seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I really like the Adder colors and hats, though I'm in Mael atm. All of them have some sort of fashion edge over the other so I figure eventually I'll nab glamour from everyone.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

FFXII could be an okay next step because it plays kinda more like an MMO than a JRPG. It does have major pacing problems though, about halfway through the game's story just completely stalls and nothing happens for like 6 dungeons. But FFXII will feel pretty familiar to you moving from FFXIV honestly, its structured in kinda a similar feeling way to FFXIV (or really FFXI).

If you really want to give JRPGs a chance on their own merit, I would start with something like Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 64 or even Earthbound. Then after that, play Final Fantasy 6, then your choice of 4,7,9,10 or whatever.

Have you played Chrono Trigger? Just go play Chrono Trigger seriously.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

(Not to go too off-topic here, but I did play a bit of Chrono Trigger back in the day, so maybe it's time to go back to that first.)

On-topic...uh....hmm. Oh! Just discovered beast dailies for crafting and as a poor penniless player, this makes leveling crafting so much easier. This game is good.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Pryce posted:

On-topic...uh....hmm. Oh! Just discovered beast dailies for crafting and as a poor penniless player, this makes leveling crafting so much easier. This game is good.

Beast tribes are awesome, but make sure to also check your GC turnins every day. The requested items are often fairly easy to craft, and you can rack up a ton of experience over time just being dedicated to those.

Also, after Rikergate, I'm not sure anybody here cares about being on topic. The light of the mods does not grace us here.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is there a guide on how to get Rainbowmage and ACT installed and working? I'm curious how poo poo at DPS I am.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

dogsicle posted:

HW are the strongest of them. But I guess if you somehow don't like Guydelot, Sanson, and moogles then I can see those falling flat. The SB quests were interesting to me lore-wise (I haven't read the lorebook fwiw) and gave me more time with my boys Guydelot and Sanson, the main things I enjoyed in HW.

e: :3: source

The HW Bard quest line is incredibly top notch and while the SB line is less interesting for the most part it has some neat lore in it and most importantly features more of those two. They are like an old bickering married couple and it's incredibly entertaining. Plus Guydelot is the biggest subversion of a bard stereotype ever. At one point Sanson lies and says he's off getting plastered in a tavern and Guydelot's response is "Really? I mean it's completely believable but I wasn't doing that for once!"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

dogsicle posted:

I really like the Adder colors and hats, though I'm in Mael atm. All of them have some sort of fashion edge over the other so I figure eventually I'll nab glamour from everyone.

Ehhhh, you may be disappointed to know that you can only use GC gear while you're in that GC.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ehhhh, you may be disappointed to know that you can only use FC gear while you're that FC.

What happens to glamoured items when you switch GCs? Does it just go back to the item's default appearance like when you switch races while using a race-only glamour?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yup.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Bummer. Flames have some really cool glam items, but I just switched to Mael for PvP purposes since I see them win quite a bit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I originally joined the Flames because I had a giant man crush on Raubahn back in 2.x

I stay with the flames because now I have an even gianter man crush on Raubahn

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Once I saw that there was no blue colored GC, I went with the Maelstrom since I was from Limsa. In hindsight, I made the right decision. The Flames have that cool coat, but that's it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

It'd be kinda nice to see a new Grand Company spring up someday. Blue would be a good color, now that you mention it.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal

A Spider Covets posted:

It'd be kinda nice to see a new Grand Company spring up someday. Blue would be a good color, now that you mention it.

We could call them the "Crystal Braves", too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Flames have a muted blue coloration going which isn't great (tied with their muted green hats and etc. which is even worse.)

Black however, is always stylish.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ehhhh, you may be disappointed to know that you can only use GC gear while you're in that GC.

That...seems like a weird thing to bother implementing, but bummer. :(

SonicRulez posted:

Once I saw that there was no blue colored GC, I went with the Maelstrom since I was from Limsa. In hindsight, I made the right decision. The Flames have that cool coat, but that's it.

I really hoped the Crystal Braves would go on to become the fourth GC, but lol.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Limsa has a major drawback in it being effort to get to the gc vendors and NPCs.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

We should make our own Grand Company, and it'll be better and bluer than anybody else's! What could possibly go wrong?

edit: gently caress, beaten

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

Ishgard seems like the perfect candidate since they've re-entered the alliance. The downside is that'd be locked behind completing HW, but I suppose that doesn't matter a ton?

I thought it was neat that Ishgard gets Airship connections to the other cities in the HW patch content, not that it's particularly useful. It's too bad they did use that as a reason to let new players go to Ishgard sooner for DRK/AST/MCH, but I guess that'd break the story.

Similarly, I wonder if there's specific plans for the Airship tower in Kugane, or if it's just future proofing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nuru posted:

Limsa has a major drawback in it being effort to get to the gc vendors and NPCs.

The major drawback of having to teleport to an aetheryte shard ten steps from the GC. :confused:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Has anything actually been added to GCs in the past year?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

dogsicle posted:

The major drawback of having to teleport to an aetheryte shard ten steps from the GC. :confused:

It's not a big deal, but Flames do have a super quick commute. I turn in items to GC to level my crafters a lot and noticed the difference, it's just not enough to make me choose one over the other.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Some first lieutenant gear iirc

e: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/159309cb1ef0706cf37a9a91e3e18865b70097a6 section grand companies

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

dogsicle posted:

A load screen's a load screen. Also Limsa is ENTIRELY too bright for my mole-man eyes.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Last thing was the chest and hat, added with and buyable at the new highest rank. But that was a while ago.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Twin Adders know how to make a recruitment poster though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm guessing they're gonna add more ranks with the squad update whenever that happens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oxyclean posted:

Similarly, I wonder if there's specific plans for the Airship tower in Kugane, or if it's just future proofing.

Probably future proofing. Just like the empty aetheryte plaza in Ala Mhigo City proper (as opposed to the aetheryte in the residential area).

Besides lore says no airship has the range to make the journey across the ocean.

Then again if we get Radz-at-Han as a layover I could see the Ironworks team designing some new long ranged airship (alternatively routing through Ildabard as we kick Garlean teeth in during 5.0)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Saint Freak posted:

Twin Adders know how to make a recruitment poster though.

For half a second I thought that was supposed to be Raya-O.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For half a second I thought that was supposed to be Raya-O.

"Ma'am, that looks nothing like you. A-are you drunk again?" "I'll TELL you when I'm drunk again. Make my boobs bigger!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Raya-O is the WHM trainer.
Kann-E is the secret lush of an Elder Seedseer.

AFAIK, Raya-O does not share her sister's taste for fermented bean-sauce.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nuru posted:

Its not far, and better than lame Gridania not having an aether anywhere near its market, wtf is up with that

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

EponymousMrYar posted:

Flames have a muted blue coloration going which isn't great (tied with their muted green hats and etc. which is even worse.)

Black however, is always stylish.

Yeah, most of my looks since I started glamouring have been black.Colors tend to clash with my character's hair. Since the clashing color is blue though, the right shade would work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Raya-O is the WHM trainer.
Kann-E is the secret lush of an Elder Seedseer.

AFAIK, Raya-O does not share her sister's taste for fermented bean-sauce.

Oh. Well, she sucks then.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not far, and better than lame Gridania not having an aether anywhere near its market, wtf is up with that

Go to the LTW guild. It's right next to the company chest and the MB.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The leatherworker's guild aetheryte is right outside the Gridania market. Meanwhile Uldah didn't have one until 4.0.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Limsa superiority.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eh, its still a bit of a walk from leatherworker. Its actually shorter to run from the central aetheryte, but then you have to load. Which is awkward.

Yeah Ul'dah was the worst but now they have one right smack dab convenient, so Gridania is now the worst.

Mordiceius posted:

Limsa superiority.

I mostly stay in Limsa if only because its the one I know my way around best :v: But its also really pretty.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If I just need a market board, I usually teleport to the guild house since it means I get to see familiar faces.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

More of the big hub cities need market boards, and I hope to god they simplify the Ala Mhigan quarter/add a handful of aetherytes if it actually becomes a hub for later content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After the little bit of running around I had to do to get the aether current there and how much of a maze it is, I genuinely hope I'm never expected to go back there. Just use Porta Praetoria.