Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive is going back on sale in about a minute, FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

zer0spunk posted:

I'm so used to a gear, so I'm trying to just anticipate what a tether is going to be like. How do you not wrap yourself up if you're playing something in a chair that can swivel 360?

The bundle only has 2 sensors, but I plan to be seated anyway for 90% of this thing..do you just place em on the desk in front of you like speakers?

Wrapping myself in cables has never happened, you do sometimes get loops in it for sure but in that case I unplug the end at the Rift and unravel it.
I'm in the camp of cables never having bothered me, but I don't do roomscale as much as some people.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

zer0spunk posted:

I'm so used to a gear, so I'm trying to just anticipate what a tether is going to be like. How do you not wrap yourself up if you're playing something in a chair that can swivel 360?

You stand your lazy rear end up, is how.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

peter gabriel posted:

Wrapping myself in cables has never happened, you do sometimes get loops in it for sure but in that case I unplug the end at the Rift and unravel it.
I'm in the camp of cables never having bothered me, but I don't do roomscale as much as some people.

I don't want room scale. I don't want to break poo poo around me..Pretty much my biggest fear..

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Also I was playing Echo Arena for a few hours last night with no tracking issues, and afterwards I noticed someone had turned my third sensor which is on a stand away so I was only using the two sensors in front of me and it was fine. I constantly spin all the way around, too.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Warbird posted:

The Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive is going back on sale in about a minute, FYI

In stock now for $99.99, or 25% of the price of a Rift + Touch bundle: https://www.vive.com/us/vive-deluxe-audio-strap/

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

for a quarter of the cost of an oculus, which already has a comparable strap. honestly any comparisons of economics I make are getting laughable at this point. I am super cranky with HTC today.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BMan posted:

You stand your lazy rear end up, is how.

Maybe the gear side of this is really different. A lot of the really good games on the gear have a swivel mode where you swivel around on a chair, if you have one, to move in 360. For instance, Omega Agent is a 1960's spy jetpack sim so you swivel around or use the right thumbstick for circular movement. There's a superhot style game where you guide a bullet that pretty much needs a swivel chair, etc etc.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

zer0spunk posted:

I don't want room scale. I don't want to break poo poo around me..Pretty much my biggest fear..

Then I would say it won't really be an issue :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Warbird posted:

Thanks for the heads up, just picked one up, so excited! (yes I am a hypocrit!)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

zer0spunk posted:

Maybe the gear side of this is really different. A lot of the really good games on the gear have a swivel mode where you swivel around on a chair, if you have one, to move in 360. For instance, Omega Agent is a 1960's spy jetpack sim so you swivel around or use the right thumbstick for circular movement. There's a superhot style game where you guide a bullet that pretty much needs a swivel chair, etc etc.

That makes sense I guess, without position tracking you might as well sit in a swivel chair. But in Superhot and GORN for example, you have to actually bob and weave to dodge poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

JazzFlight posted:

I know there's the main fight between Vive and Oculus, but do you really feel like a second-class citizen with Oculus + Touch on Steam? Have developers (who don't have exclusivity deals) been rather good about supporting both?

A problem I noticed is with accessing the menu. Steam always seems to do the opposite of what I want and there's no way to configure things. So with an xbox controller, Steam calls dibs on the back button because Oculus called dibs on the xbox button. That's annoying if something uses the back button, like House of the Dying Sun. Every time I tried to access the map or whatever back button did, it would open up the steam vr menu. Then with touch, where it has the oculus button as well as that menu button, I want the menu button to open Steam VR menu but it usually doesn't. It wouldn't be so bad if Steam would, I don't know, let me configure my system buttons. But at least Steam has a useful friends list and you can search games on the website, unlike Oculus.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Does Oculus home still do that thing with some games where it has its own list of people playing online?
I remember that being an issue for some people buying Project Cars (dead servers, can't see people in the Steam version) so that'd be something that I would legit have a beef about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If a game uses steamworks or whatever it is for online, then the Oculus version will not be able to play with people on steam. I guess there's no way around that. I don't know if Steam allows people to connect who aren't using steam, and it is expensive to host your own multiplayer. So the project cars on Oculus can only play with other people on Oculus. But that's why the OP says it's probably better to buy things on Steam.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

If a game uses steamworks or whatever it is for online, then the Oculus version will not be able to play with people on steam. I guess there's no way around that. I don't know if Steam allows people to connect who aren't using steam, and it is expensive to host your own multiplayer. So the project cars on Oculus can only play with other people on Oculus.

Ah see that'd be something to consider then for people, I recall the Project Cars guys gave Steam keys to people or something in the end?

Cojawfee posted:

But that's why the OP says it's probably better to buy things on Steam.

I haven't read that in a while, will go do so now :)

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Has anyone actually noticed any performance degradation from launching games through the SteamVR Home interface, as opposed to just clicking "play" and putting your headset on? It feels like I'm getting some extra judder sometimes.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Has anyone actually noticed any performance degradation from launching games through the SteamVR Home interface, as opposed to just clicking "play" and putting your headset on? It feels like I'm getting some extra judder sometimes.

Launching a SteamVR game before SteamVR is running has always been hugely unreliable for me. Just launch SteamVR first.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IMWgXGFfw

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I have not. I really like how slick steam VR is now. Took them awhile to get to this point but now its really comfortable to hop from game to game without taking off the headset.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Are you running a Geforce card and have some of the most recent driver releases? The last few releases are apparently causing issues for people. A lot of people are going back to 381.x releases and getting better performance.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

I honestly don't really know, I barely use VR anymore.

What would compel you to use VR more frequently? I have owned by Vive for 7 months now and I use it almost daily, even for non VR stuff like Playerunknown's Battlegrounds on a streaming virtual screen for a virtual LAN party on Bigscreen.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Needs a lighter headset and 4k+ displays for comfortable use for more than an hour at a time or whatever imo. Also, there are no killer apps and barely any full games, and even the "full" games are lame job simulator/zombie killing games. But the tech works great and the VR scene is young- it's a time for development, and it's going to explode at some point in the near future. Maybe when generation 2 comes out and all the old models start to float around.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

iceaim posted:

What would compel you to use VR more frequently? I have owned by Vive for 7 months now and I use it almost daily, even for non VR stuff like Playerunknown's Battlegrounds on a streaming virtual screen for a virtual LAN party on Bigscreen.

Better resolution, wireless, deluxe strap (coming) and ease of use. Also having a bigger play area but that is not VR's fault.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

GI_Clutch posted:

Are you running a Geforce card and have some of the most recent driver releases? The last few releases are apparently causing issues for people. A lot of people are going back to 381.x releases and getting better performance.

I am, but I haven't noticed enough of a performance degradation to do a rollback. Guess I'll just deal with any jankiness for now. And actually, one of the times I was getting a lot of judder was because my R5-1600X had clocked itself down to 2.2Ghz and stayed there. :v:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

weird that almost no gaming publications are taking about Echo Arena even though it's one of the most amazing gaming experiences ever developed :confused:

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Not going to repost the whole thing here but tldr; if your launch day rift breaks you have to buy a new retail box (which I certainly won't be doing, even with the new price drop)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6mgcx5/launch_day_rift_broke_you_have_to_buy_a_new_one/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's true for most stuff out of warranty though?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sintax posted:

Needs a lighter headset and 4k+ displays for comfortable use for more than an hour at a time or whatever imo. Also, there are no killer apps and barely any full games, and even the "full" games are lame job simulator/zombie killing games. But the tech works great and the VR scene is young- it's a time for development, and it's going to explode at some point in the near future. Maybe when generation 2 comes out and all the old models start to float around.

Echo Arena comes out July 20th

AndrewP posted:

weird that almost no gaming publications are taking about Echo Arena even though it's one of the most amazing gaming experiences ever developed :confused:

They wouldn't know how to talk about it, because it's new and different and they'd have to think about what to say instead of copy pasting from their previous articles about the last identical version of whatever game they're talking about

Edit: aside from the fact that ten people own a VR headset but in this case they're idiots for not picking up on how insane this game is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndrewP posted:

VR coverage is hard, I guess. Giant Bomb put up a new VRodeo today and had total poo poo for games, and wonder why their audience shits on VR so hard. It's really dissapointing when Echo Arena, Sairento, etc. are all out there and could really use the spotlight.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jeff has played a lot of Echo Arena and seems to really like it, though. Also it was as E3 judges week and won best VR game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

VR coverage is hard, I guess. Giant Bomb put up a new VRodeo today and had total poo poo for games, and wonder why their audience shits on VR so hard. It's really dissapointing when Echo Arena, Sairento, etc. are all out there and could really use the spotlight.

those VRrodeo videos are brutal for being probably the biggest public facing examples of VR in action. clueless unathletic hosts who can't 'get into' a game to save their life, total lack of clarity on how things work or basic gameplay functions, and total lack of knowledge about the VR industry/releases as a whole. Worse than all of that though is they just don't seem like they're having fun. They're doing stuff that could or should be fun but it's just 'well. okay. what's next'

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Echo Arena comes out July 20th

They wouldn't know how to talk about it, because it's new and different and they'd have to think about what to say instead of copy pasting from their previous articles about the last identical version of whatever game they're talking about

Edit: aside from the fact that ten people own a VR headset but in this case they're idiots for not picking up on how insane this game is

I think one thing that has to do with it is how poorly screenshots/videos of VR experiences compare with what a VR game is like if you don't already have a VR setup. You essentially are seeing a really small field of view non-stereo snapshot that makes the graphics not compare well to some of the insane near-photorealistic HDR stuff coming out of regular PC games.
Its really hard to convey what the ~110' hfov 90fps stereoscopic experience is like if you've never tried it and that puts VR at a disadvantage for getting over the initial sale.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

At this point I think you're just someone who doesn't get excited about VR, or someone like us who think those people are insane because it's loving virtual realty

To me VR always has been the end goal for video games, like if you're not jazzed for where this is going then what are we even doing here?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Giant Bomb sucks

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been sitting on the VR fence for a while now but I think that $399 price point is enough to make me grab the Rift.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

For cheap $20 headphones, sure. For $600+ electronic devices I have had decidedly different experiences than that. Maybe I am just spoiled in my consume electronic choices, but for every repair process I have gone through the company bent over backwards to help me out or at least had a reasonable repair option. Including my issue with the HTC Vive.

Legally, sure, they are within their right. I just think people should know what to expect if they are going to get one. I avoid companies like this for a reason, I didn't expect Oculus to be one.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Even out of warranty there's an expectation that you should be able to purchase replacements for individual parts rather than be required to purchase a new bundle - in this case you might hope to be able to purchase a replacement headset without being required to also shell out for replacements for your working controllers and cameras. I don't think there are many countries that have made that into a formal consumer protection yet, though.

The Walrus posted:

those VRrodeo videos are brutal for being probably the biggest public facing examples of VR in action. clueless unathletic hosts who can't 'get into' a game to save their life, total lack of clarity on how things work or basic gameplay functions, and total lack of knowledge about the VR industry/releases as a whole. Worse than all of that though is they just don't seem like they're having fun. They're doing stuff that could or should be fun but it's just 'well. okay. what's next'

You must admit that the vast majority of games they show in them are overpriced garbage. But I agree, often the segment doesn't give them enough time to recognise the few that aren't.

For the more recent ones I think Jeff has been making more of an effort to play all the games in advance before showing them off?

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

Even out of warranty there's an expectation that you should be able to purchase replacements for individual parts rather than be required to purchase a new bundle - in this case you might hope to be able to purchase a replacement headset without being required to also shell out for replacements for your working controllers and cameras. I don't think there are many countries that have made that into a formal consumer protection yet, though.
This too. If you do the retail math with the new $400 bundle that works out to $180 for just the headset. This is what I expected the worst case repair option to be with Oculus. Instead I got the middle finger, delivered with a smile.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I think one thing that has to do with it is how poorly screenshots/videos of VR experiences compare with what a VR game is like if you don't already have a VR setup. You essentially are seeing a really small field of view non-stereo snapshot that makes the graphics not compare well to some of the insane near-photorealistic HDR stuff coming out of regular PC games.
Its really hard to convey what the ~110' hfov 90fps stereoscopic experience is like if you've never tried it and that puts VR at a disadvantage for getting over the initial sale.

I get that and it's understandable, but if talking about video games is someone's job you'd think they wouldn't be completely useless at it. That's also a general VR problem, and the single largest limitation of VR (locomotion) was solved completely, 100% naturally in this game (admittedly not a generalized solution). It's a loving insane breakthrough and the game is bonkers. It's already clear that this has a Rocket League style appeal. If they were competent this is genuinely something new and interesting people should be talking about.

Instead you get poo poo like this https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/14/echo-arena-is-competitive-virtual-reality-frisbee/ "oh it's neat and there will be esports ok bye"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I mean nobody kills enthusiasm for a game like the Giant Bomb crew. I know Jeff actually likes VR but it's usually difficult to tell. And Brad, forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gendal posted:

For cheap $20 headphones, sure. For $600+ electronic devices I have had decidedly different experiences than that. Maybe I am just spoiled in my consume electronic choices, but for every repair process I have gone through the company bent over backwards to help me out or at least had a reasonable repair option. Including my issue with the HTC Vive.

Legally, sure, they are within their right. I just think people should know what to expect if they are going to get one. I avoid companies like this for a reason, I didn't expect Oculus to be one.

Apple is an exception, but I have always considered Apple to be a lovely company for treating people that way. You can't sell a $2,000 laptop and then go "haha buy a new one" the loving second its out of warranty.

Like you say, its perfectly legal, but its also perfectly lovely customer service.

When car manufacturers make cars that deliberately break down after time so you have to service them / buy new ones. It'd be kinda funny if somebody defended practice as being good for the industry and necessary. Its not really, its self-defeating. Everybody buys Japanese cars instead.