Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mederlock posted:

I work in household appliance service and oohhh mmaannn this one drives me nuts. Of course LG and Samsung are the absolute worst there too.

:argh: "You guys made these pieces of poo poo, don't you have the parts lying around back somewhere?!"
:rolleyes:"No sir, the parts and warranty are provided by the manufacturer"
:argh: "if you don't get this fixed by 4:37 PM tomorrow, I'm going to drive this hunk of garbage down to your store and throw it through your front window"
:rolleyes: "... Well sir, I wouldn't recommend doing that, although I *totally* appreciate your anger

This job is going to make me into a misanthrope

I strongly believe that everyone should do minimum 1 to 2 years customer facing retail work once in their lives. Enshrine it into law like countries that have mandatory military service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I left the cell phone sales game and all of a sudden I'm a calm person again.

Escape ASAP, before they cut your commission again and try to explain it as a good thing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wirth1000 posted:

I strongly believe that everyone should do minimum 1 to 2 years customer facing retail work once in their lives. Enshrine it into law like countries that have mandatory military service.

Totally agreed. It almost freaks people out when you're nice to retail/food service workers. They're so used to the abuse they don't know how to process someone being friendly and understanding.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wirth1000 posted:

People say this but it works equally well to turn people into pieces of poo poo towards customer service employees because having been there they have higher standards for how it should be done. It's assumed working retail creates empathy and camaraderie when it can also produce arrogance and condescension.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh, for sure. "Hey, listen, shut up and just escalate me to your support tier 2nd level, ok? I've worked retail before I know all the tricks. Oh, and give me your direct retention number.... hey, are you guys still using [backend system] like my time? Well, then put the phone down I already know how you can just add these SOC codes to my account which you're relaly not supposed to cause it'll get you written up but hey customer first, right?"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Hey, good job, you went through the manufacturer.

I cannot stress... I literally cannot stress how a LOT of people genuinely thought Rogers manufactured all the phones they sell.

Remember the days when the providers put their own logos on the phone to make it look like they made it?

Oh wait, they still do that don't they...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I honestly can't recall the last phone sold in the last two years that had a Rogers logo or actually any of the big three stamped on it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
120 pages later, is the op at all up to date? I live in the states now and feel my parents are being taken advantage of and want to consolidate all their poo poo.

They have home phone and one cell line from bell, recently down from two. They're way out in the boonies on Cape Breton. The home phone is because there's no coverage there, and they have satellite internet. Which I believe rules out double play and VoIP scenarios, just on rtt.

My dad wants to resume his service with a newer phone, he was really amazed by android pay when we were on vacation together. My mom is happy with her hand me down iPhone 4 for now.

Anything I think is probably better than the $90/mo they're paying for home service, which I guess is bumped up for long distance and voicemail and poo poo.

Anyways I'm on fi in the us, and the closer to that I feel is probably the better. Thanks!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The OP is a bit out of date. Wind mobile has been renamed, cell unlocking fees are going away in December, and Roam Mobility provides travel SIM cards for people visiting Canada. If they're so far out in the sticks that they have to have satellite internet I'm not sure there'll be a good solution. What is that $90 for? Just their land line?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
How far out in the boonies are they Fuzzy? i know Eastlink also offers phone, cable and internet options in NS, and they announced a bunch of new communities they were going to be servicing this year.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dundee on Lake bras d'or The home service is $50 sounds like, plus a $40 package for unlimited long distance within north america.
The internet is xplorenet. When I was there last rtt was 800+1200ms with high variability.

The cell plan is $57/mo. They're not sure about the details, probably a hundred minutes and some data.

I'm hoping I can gather them on to some consolidated plan with a newish android for my dad, and my mom can bring her iPhone along.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They have home phone and one cell line from bell, recently down from two. They're way out in the boonies on Cape Breton. The home phone is because there's no coverage there, and they have satellite internet. Which I believe rules out double play and VoIP scenarios, just on rtt.

From a vacation I took last year (did the Cabot trail/pleasant bay) you're stuck with bell/Telus for cell coverage. But when you get signal it's full speed lte at least. Check out koodo or public Mobile - both are Telus infrastructure.

That being said, look to see if there's any cable tv provider - that's the best chance you've got for any consistent internet.

They're probably stuck with what they have otherwise.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Cross-grading (it was the same cost as Shaw's 25/5) to Telus Fibre was a good idea. This is over wireless a floor up and on the opposite side of the house.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Cross-grading (it was the same cost as Shaw's 25/5) to Telus Fibre was a good idea. This is over wireless a floor up and on the opposite side of the house.

:smug:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

my ping is better :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're not wrong :negative:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seem to be finding so much conflicting info on what band Telus uses. I need to know so I can order a booster for our potential new house cause we ain't getting dinosaur landlines. Cellmapper is showing a 1900mhz tower south of me but then a few 700mhz ones to the northeast.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Do you get any cell service now? Most boosters you buy will have both bands so not sure what the issue is

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In the house, no, but about 100 meters in front of it within clear view you can get some, and various other places nearby. I'm looking on Amazon as I dont really want to pay $400+ in store, I just assumed I had to get one that was the right frequency as they are all labeled with different megahertz ratings

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You should hop up on your roof with your phone and see if you get any signal. If you don't then a booster isn't doing anything. You need a signal to boost.

The second thing is don't cheap out on your booster if you expect things to work properly. The number one problem people have is they spend $150 on some garbage booster and it barely works or you have to be in the same room as the booster and other crap. Expect to spend around $400 for something that will work. Play with your mounting positions on the roof with the antenna, it is important

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

Seem to be finding so much conflicting info on what band Telus uses. I need to know so I can order a booster for our potential new house cause we ain't getting dinosaur landlines. Cellmapper is showing a 1900mhz tower south of me but then a few 700mhz ones to the northeast.

1900mhz for base service. 700mhz will be additional LTE coverage.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Wikipedia page on Telus has some information on which bands they use.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This link is even better - Industry Canada (I think) regularly publishes a list of all the towers in the country with info on what bands they use, signal strength, direction they're aimed, etc. People make maps from them... Find your nearest and know almost for sure.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm gonna see if I can get on the roof tonight. I know about 150 meters straight in front in clear view from the house I can get signal

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GF got moved over to Telus from the MTS merger. Thing is ... her phone is locked and their instructions for activating the SIM do not work for the iPhone. The phone just says no, gently caress you, bye where the instructions say you can just put your Apple ID in.

Going to request it unlocked without the charge as it's goddamn bullshit for $50 on a forced move.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

codo27 posted:

What kind of phones do you have? I know on the iPhones you can get wifi-calling now, which has helped me greatly with my cellphone-dead-zone of a house.

EDIT: My cell is with Telus.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

GF got moved over to Telus from the MTS merger. Thing is ... her phone is locked and their instructions for activating the SIM do not work for the iPhone. The phone just says no, gently caress you, bye where the instructions say you can just put your Apple ID in.

Going to request it unlocked without the charge as it's goddamn bullshit for $50 on a forced move.

That's bullshit, I can't believe the CTRC solution to a merger was to dump 2/3 of customers off on the shittiest carrier in the province.

I'm travelling to San Diego next week and want some data and minutes so I can keep in touch with my group. Roaming data on BellMTS is $10 for 225mb and $25 for loving 40m of calling. Has anyone been to California is there a cheap sim I can pop in my phone for 6 days?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get a RoamMobility SIM if yours is unlocked.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Vintersorg posted:

Call them. It shouldnt be an issue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DariusLikewise posted:

That's bullshit, I can't believe the CTRC solution to a merger was to dump 2/3 of customers off on the shittiest carrier in the province.

I'm travelling to San Diego next week and want some data and minutes so I can keep in touch with my group. Roaming data on BellMTS is $10 for 225mb and $25 for loving 40m of calling. Has anyone been to California is there a cheap sim I can pop in my phone for 6 days?

I can't believe you expect anything good from the CRTC, recent announcements notwithstanding.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Snuffman posted:

What kind of phones do you have? I know on the iPhones you can get wifi-calling now, which has helped me greatly with my cellphone-dead-zone of a house.

EDIT: My cell is with Telus.

I'm with koodo and she's soon to be as well too, currently with Telus. And she's sick of constantly running out of storage so the iJunk is gone when she switches too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Get a RoamMobility SIM if yours is unlocked.
Thanks for posting this. I vaguely remember a flight attendant mentioning she uses this in the states but the name was so generic I couldn't remember it.

Housh fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 12, 2017

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fuckin' lol: http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/14/public-mobile-offers-new-3g-data-plans-at-a-lower-cost/

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think we can all agree unless the CRTC provides specifications that are bulletproof and survivable without air when sent to Mars, our telecoms will take an order to reduce the cost of plans as the opportunity to cut data by 50% and reduce price by 25%. Paying Less for Less! :suicide:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

And I'd just signed up for Public Mobile and was really happy. gently caress.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Doesn't your contract with PM stay as-is until you change? Like if you signed up months ago you still keep your existing plan?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dillbag posted:

Doesn't your contract with PM stay as-is until you change? Like if you signed up months ago you still keep your existing plan?

Yes, the article is talking about their new phone plans, which are worse than the default plans they already had before last year's 90 day, $120/12gb deal.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Yes, the article is talking about their new phone plans, which are worse than the default plans they already had before last year's 90 day, $120/12gb deal.

Ok good. Well at least now I can stop trying to convince family members to swap providers.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Canadian Cellular: it somehow got worse. Somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
What's the deal with being in a mostly US-based group text thing? I'm on Koodo and I'm not sure if I should just use my actual phone number or if I should do one of those crazy phone vpn services to get around them having to pay for long distance texts.