Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thickness/size/looks preferences?

txt me so i can mms u back ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mishaq posted:

lol

also i dont know - i have an original ikea galant so the skies the limit size wise

looks dont care - maybe no boob mats

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mishaq posted:

oh god i think i got sent an mms earlier this year but i never even got around figuring how to view it on my anroid

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Whatever you do don't buy a razer mousepad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

lol

also i dont know - i have an original ikea galant so the skies the limit size wise

looks dont care - maybe no boob mats

well if it's purely home use mousepad, then, seriously, get a razer gigantus (thick), benq g-sr (moderately thick), or steelseries qck/qck+ (thin). they all are large, cheap, washable, and moderately tacky at best. if you want a carpet pad (the huge slab that goes under your entire keyboard too) or a hard mat (piece of brushed metal basically), let me know. for all the poo poo "gamer" gear rightfully gets, especially for absolutely ripoff trash audio for idiot children, they've actually got mousepads figured out if you look at base models and not slabs of anodised hanzo steel with artisanal rgb backlight

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Whatever you do don't buy a razer mousepad

actually wrong razer opinion. they have only two legitimately good non-mousepad products, but the mousepads are mighty fine, and nowadays even come in mildly tacky varieties

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

the benq g-sr looks pretty good - $40 CAD isnt too bad

im not concerned about the keyboard, it is very hard to move and shift

i have the logitech g710

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

the benq g-sr looks pretty good - $40 CAD isnt too bad

im not concerned about the keyboard, it is very hard to move and shift

i have the logitech g710

i dont get the carpet pads myself either since every keyboard has grips, i just know that a friend of mine uses one, and that its a thing in general

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thinking more about carpet pads and all i can figure out their worth for is that you somehow have an extremely lovely/uncomfortable surface (glass, unsanded wood, rusty metal idk why are you're computer in a derelict soviet warehouse?) and you use it as a literal hand rug

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh god i think i got sent an mms earlier this year but i never even got around figuring how to view it on my anroid

wait androids can't display mms now!? lol forever

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I havent had a mouse pad in like 10 years lmao do people still use them???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

wait androids can't display mms now!? lol forever

im not sure to be honest. i got sent an mms from an iphone in russia, so there's 25 things that could have gone wrong there, including the person misidentifying whatever they sent as an "mms". either way, that's the only mms i've received in 10 years now, i think, if not more, so who cares

St Evan Echoes posted:

I havent had a mouse pad in like 10 years lmao do people still use them???

every properly equipped computer workstation should have a mousepad, yes

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

qirex posted:

people definitely seem to have rose-colored glasses towards the pre-touchbar macbooks pro, they were never really that good especially compared to the one true notebook the 13" macbook air

:agreed:

The MacBook Air, from like 2011 -onwards is probably the very definition of a perfected design & the perfect laptop.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my desk fits my mouse padding needs

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
this is the mousepad i have, mionix alioth something or another, and it is very needs suiting

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 10, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dodoman posted:

this is the mousepad i have, mionix alioth something or another, and it is very needs suiting

everything about this image is ugly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

there's very little difference between them imo. just shape, size, material (which are all interchangeable and irrelevant), and how slippery the surface is. some people like it when you can push the mouse and it'll slide off the pad, i prefer "grippy" surfaces. ive got a discounted razer goliathus speed (its fairly grippy surface, compared to g-sr) and its p fine too, also decently large (35x45cm i think). goliathus control is probably the only slippines outlier, its real grippy, everything else is fairly similar to each other (qck/g-sr tend to be a bit slippier, unless you get a qck special edition with printed stuff over it, that slows the mouse down)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Thankfully it is not my picture

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

everything about this image is ugly

turn on your monitor!!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

not that it matters much for a mouse mat i paid $15 for, a flattened polished turd would do at that price

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I started trying to use Safari instead of Chrome and so far I guess I like it? Lastpass / uBlock Origin being cross browser basically means there's no reason not to just switch freely, and Safari FINALLY added the ability to use ⌘-# to switch to that numbered tab so it's actually usable

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Uh yea Safari always unless you need to view a webm or dev something

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if i used a mousepad id use https://shop.ugmonk.com/products/premium-leather-mousepad-brown because im a grown rear end adult with good taste but i dont because its 2017

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

steve would have personally frogwalked the engineer(s) responsible for this out the door before setting their house on fire

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mishaq posted:

turn on your monitor!!!

it is on. what are you talking about??

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
a long time ago i turned on encryption for my iphone backups

apparently the password got mangled when I transferred it into the PW manager I later adopted.

it looks like there is no way to change the backup password, except to wipe the iphone and put a fresh image on it.

even if I have the lock screen password and thus access to the entirety of the phone... hypothetically I could probably hook up some overpriced fbi dongle and snarf everything up, but I can't just go "hey, I have physical access to this phone, all of it's files, and my twofactor key. let's set a new backup password".

I've generated backup codes for all my 2F apps and set up iTunes to move photos and stuff to my macbook but THANKS A LOT STEVE

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Lol if you value your phone data besides pictures which you have elsewhere and same for cloud data.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at this point my ideal mac would be macbook design with 1 usb c port on each side, the screen of the 13" pro and touchid but not the touchbar

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

if i used a mousepad id use https://shop.ugmonk.com/products/premium-leather-mousepad-brown because im a grown rear end adult with good taste but i dont because its 2017

not chromexel horween, no sale

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

emoji posted:

Lol if you value your phone data besides pictures which you have elsewhere and same for cloud data.

it'd just be kind of a pain in the rear end to set up 2f on all my accounts again, plus dl my apps + minor tweaks

i don't have icloud turned on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hackbunny posted:

strive for immortality

:HI5:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

a long time ago i turned on encryption for my iphone backups

apparently the password got mangled when I transferred it into the PW manager I later adopted.

it looks like there is no way to change the backup password, except to wipe the iphone and put a fresh image on it.

even if I have the lock screen password and thus access to the entirety of the phone... hypothetically I could probably hook up some overpriced fbi dongle and snarf everything up, but I can't just go "hey, I have physical access to this phone, all of it's files, and my twofactor key. let's set a new backup password".

I've generated backup codes for all my 2F apps and set up iTunes to move photos and stuff to my macbook but THANKS A LOT STEVE

that has nothing to do w/ encryption, iTunes just deletes everything on any device ever plugged into it. that's just what it does.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

poty posted:

Jesus Christ

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

it'd just be kind of a pain in the rear end to set up 2f on all my accounts again, plus dl my apps + minor tweaks

well, your solution seems obvious

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

well, your solution seems obvious

why bother encrypting data i'm going to beam to utah?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

qirex posted:

people definitely seem to have rose-colored glasses towards the pre-touchbar macbooks pro, they were never really that good especially compared to the one true notebook the 13" macbook air

I'm gonna replace my 13" air this fall is the new 13" pro that they claim is as thin as an air any good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bump_fn posted:

I'm gonna replace my 13" air this fall is the new 13" pro that they claim is as thin as an air any good

go to your local apple store and see for
yourself :)

it will cause you to have to be near other humans though so that might be a little uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bump_fn posted:

basically yes, i literally just did this today and while it very slightly heavier at least it doesn't have that huge gently caress-off bezel and tiny screen

• Locked thread