Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

twodot posted:

"Why do grocery stores put milk in the back" is a question with an answer.

It's a question with many answers some contradictory.

Look twodot here's the thing you need to get data and reality is interpreted by brains. Interpretation varies depending on the concepts in the brain of the interpreter. Different valid interpretations can emerge from different people looking at the same goddamn thing. Some of them are more or less in line with the actual reality of the situation. But those discrepancy are made smaller by talking to other people and trying absorb and truly listen to the alternative concepts they are looking at the particular situation with.

You'll continue to be ineffective, irritating, and potentially open to large systematic errors unless you try to understand others.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Five Guys rules, gently caress y'all

The most correct thing that has been posted in this thread to date.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Five Guys rules, gently caress y'all

I wish I could replace that statement with "In N' Out rules, gently caress y'all", but there'll never be one east of the Mississippi. :sigh:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrandorKP posted:

It's a question with many answers some contradictory.

Look twodot here's the thing you need to get data and reality is interpreted by brains. Interpretation varies depending on the concepts in the brain of the interpreter. Different valid interpretations can emerge from different people looking at the same goddamn thing. Some of them are more or less in line with the actual reality of the situation. But those discrepancy are made smaller by talking to other people and trying absorb and truly listen to the alternative concepts they are looking at the particular situation with.

You'll continue to be ineffective, irritating, and potentially open to large systematic errors unless you try to understand others.

And in this case it's not even "the same goddamn thing" because there is in fact more than one grocery store in the world [citation needed].

twodot is just a guy who dimly perceives that smart people sometimes ask for sources, and has decided to do that every time people are having a conversation he doesn't understand so that people will think he's smart. He's like Trump's "SAYS WHO?" guy on Fox.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Domestic Amuse posted:

I wish I could replace that statement with "In N' Out rules, gently caress y'all", but there'll never be one east of the Mississippi. :sigh:

Don't stop believing my friend. They said Chick-Fil-A would never, ever come to NYC.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Five Guys owns but In 'N Out is overrated garbage.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Noctone posted:

I would prefer to decide for myself but given how loving awesome Five Guys is I am inclined to believe you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

axeil posted:

Have you considered the possibility that the answer to that question is not publicly available because shockingly, it could provide a competitive advantage so the companies who did the research don't want it going out there for free to their competitors?

There's plenty of stuff that is known but is not accessible to Joe/Jane Public because of the $$$ side of things.
I've certainly considered this, my question is why are people claiming to know the answer if the answer isn't publicly available? If you think this is true, shouldn't you be replying to people claiming to know the answer asking if they're talking out of their rear end or violating an NDA? Also the only study posted so far demonstrated that essentially all new construction is identical (in a specific area at least), so claims of competitive advantage are at best suspicious.

When I'm observing there's a bunch of claims that seem totally made up (even if they sound reasonable), answering back that they only seem made up because they are based on private research not subject to public scrutiny or review isn't really a compelling answer.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Noctone posted:

Last time I ate at five guys I felt like I was going to die, which I guess is what happens when you have a burger that's worth like half+ of your day's caloric budget before you factor in the fries/drink.

Usually if I want a fast food burger but don't hate myself enough for the low quality McDonalds/Burger King slop I'll usually find myself at a Freddy's Frozen Custard because their steakburgers are loving fantastic.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Culvers is the hidden secret of fast food burgers.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the wrongest opinion I've yet encountered. In 'n Out is the food of the proletariat - the workers are well paid, the food is fresh (never frozen), and most importantly it's CHEAP. Five Guys may have fresh beef but doesn't have the other two.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I do not mean this sarcastically or rudely - it is really interesting that a conversation about retail dynamics can derail into a conversation about declaring and defending piety to retail idols.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
This is a good thread when it's talking about Retail Collapse News and that's why I keep it bookmarked

"When"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dukberry posted:

I do not mean this sarcastically or rudely - it is really interesting that a conversation about retail dynamics can derail into a conversation about declaring and defending piety to retail idols.

What do you expect? America is a nation defined by brands in every sense of the word.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was on a road trip with some friends and they got really excited because there were some american fast food chains we don't have locally. That poo poo all tastes the same and is all garbage. We went to an Arby's and a Taco Bell which both tasted like every other fast food ever. Maybe it's like those cultures that can see a and name a million shades of green but can't differentiate some other other colours because they aren't used to/exposed to them them or have names for them. All fast food is the same and it's all garbage and it's weird people have these super strong loyalties to certain brands. But I imagine if you eat that poo poo a lot you develop favourites and can tell them all apart and will drive across town to get a gross greasy salty pile of trash that's slightly different from the other gross greasy salty pile of trash.

My Arby's baked potato was pretty ok though, never had something like that at fast food.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

I've certainly considered this, my question is why are people claiming to know the answer if the answer isn't publicly available? If you think this is true, shouldn't you be replying to people claiming to know the answer asking if they're talking out of their rear end or violating an NDA? Also the only study posted so far demonstrated that essentially all new construction is identical (in a specific area at least), so claims of competitive advantage are at best suspicious.

When I'm observing there's a bunch of claims that seem totally made up (even if they sound reasonable), answering back that they only seem made up because they are based on private research not subject to public scrutiny or review isn't really a compelling answer.

This is such a perfect example of your dumb-guy-masquerading-as-smart routine. It is wholly possible to know something, to make statements about that knowledge, and yet not divulge protected details that led you to that knowledge. An intelligence officer might be able to say "Russia is making moves in Ukraine" but not "Pavel, our contact embedded within Russian high command, told us so, here's his phone number if you want to check with him."

You keep whining that you didn't like the study someone took their precious time to google for you, and yet I haven't seen you lift one cheeto-dusted finger to dig up any information for yourself. Also, there were no claims of competitive advantage in the milk placement discussion, you fuckwit. Lots of industries (OH NO OH NO OH NO A GENERALIZED STATEMENT SOUND THE ALARM) have "best practices" that everyone does because it confers an advantage over not doing it, not necessarily an advantage over competitors who are also doing the same thing.

Asking you again, why haven't you got your own journal subscription if so much of your life centers around a compulsive need to read studies in order to cope with casual conversations? Why are you placing this burden on everyone else instead of just handling your own business like the Mr. Smarty-Smart Intellectual you desperately want us to think you are?

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 10, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

This is a good thread when it's talking about Retail Collapse News and that's why I keep it bookmarked

"When"

Question: why isn't there a massive correction in the food sector yet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How to make people buy stuff is probably the most funded and developed science in the world, it probably gets way more funding than the combined military R&D budgets of the world and has similar levels of secrecy. It's weird to think that the entire industry is just running off old wife's tales and cargo culting other successful businesses. I mean there certainly is an element of that, but companies aren't spending billions for some consultants to tell them some just-so pearls of marketing wisdom, they're doing extremely detailed scientific studies on human psychology and how to best manipulate, shame, scare, excite, or just lie to people to get them to buy their endless trash.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slanderer posted:

Doesn't affect the real world tho

It does.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

incoherent posted:

Question: why isn't there a massive correction in the food sector yet?

Food's doing great, generally. Sit-down restaurants are grabbing a lot of money that formerly went to entertainment, and cooking trends are driving people to buy a lot more diversity of ingredients than they used to (which they frequently let rot, but that's another problem). The category I think of as "mall parking lot" restaurants is in decline, Applebees, Olive Garden, etc., but that's just normal turnover of trends, maybe amplified by the race to the bottom all those companies seem to be participating in in terms of food quality.

There's a reckoning coming in fast food though, hoo boy. I have proprietary information about how extremely hosed a major chain is, since they've already pulled the trigger on their last-resort plan to boost sales and don't have anywhere else to go.

Fast food isn't very well-equipped to adapt to how soft drinks are cratering either. Grocery/convenience stores easily shifted to carrying more bottled water, flavored seltzers, teas, etc., but fast food is pretty locked-in with their fountain drinks.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I hope it's McDonald's. I think we can all agree that place needs to die.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is such a perfect example of your dumb-guy-masquerading-as-smart routine. It is wholly possible to know something, to make statements about that knowledge, and yet not divulge protected details that led you to that knowledge. An intelligence officer might be able to say "Russia is making moves in Ukraine" but not "Pavel, our contact embedded within Russian high command, told us so, here's his phone number if you want to check with him."
Do you understand the difference between an intelligence officer you (presumably) have reasons to trust, and posters on the Internet? If a person/chat bot on the Internet wants to claim that Russia is making moves in Ukraine, you of course ask them why they think that.

quote:

You keep whining that you didn't like the study someone took their precious time to google for you, and yet I haven't seen you lift one cheeto-dusted finger to dig up any information for yourself. Also, there were no claims of competitive advantage in the milk placement discussion, you fuckwit. Lots of industries (OH NO OH NO OH NO A GENERALIZED STATEMENT SOUND THE ALARM) have "best practices" that everyone does because it confers an advantage over not doing it, not necessarily an advantage over competitors who are also doing the same thing.
I agree there's no competitive advantage, a different person was suggesting the research existed but was hidden due to competitive advantage.

quote:

Asking you again, why haven't you got your own journal subscription if so much of your life centers around a compulsive need to read studies in order to cope with casual conversations? Why are you placing this burden on everyone else instead of just handling your own business like the Mr. Smarty-Smart Intellectual you desperately want us to think you are?
This is Debate & Discussion, if you want to make claims, you get to provide evidence for those claims. If you're a poster that wants to be in the claims-making business, that creates a burden on you. I'm not making claims, so I don't have that burden. (Or to the extent that I do, I'm claiming people are just making poo poo up, I have no way to demonstrate it other than saying "I think you are making poo poo up", and then watching pages of people complaining about me instead of just providing the evidence) Burden of proof resting on the people affirmatively declaring things shouldn't be a new concept to anyone posting here.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 10, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Noctone posted:

Well, they ended their long running Olympic sponsorship. Dunno if it's them, but they're deffo not doing well.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I'm the implication that I can dismiss literally anything by responding that someone is "making poo poo up"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I did a scientific study over the last few years in my city and found the number of McDonalds have decreased and many of the remaining are constantly writing letters to the editor about how millennials are too lazy to work an honest job like fast food and they're short staffed and might have to close because of labour costs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm the implication that I can dismiss literally anything by responding that someone is "making poo poo up"
If we're not in the practice of providing and investigating evidence for claims, I don't need "making poo poo up" as a perfect dismissal (if I wanted one), when I can just assert the opposite of anything anyone says, and without evidence there's no way to show which person is right.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

This is Debate & Discussion, if you want to make claims, you get to provide evidence for those claims. If you're a poster that wants to be in the claims-making business, that creates a burden on you. I'm not making claims, so I don't have that burden.

It's a conversation you ungodly twat. Nobody's "in the claims-making business." There is no "claims-making business." That is such a balls-on crazy thing to think is happening here, in this casual chat where people are going "here's what my grocery store is like and here's why I think it's like that."

Look, you clearly have a very painful and pressing need to be thought of as smart, but you are shooting yourself in the foot here every time you post. Your complete inability to understand how conversations, human interaction, even the very concept of knowledge work are not the behavior of a smart person. You have to fix this one way or the other. My vote would be to let go of the looking-smart thing, because you aren't smart and never will be, but if you really really have to fake it, then quit loving up! Pay more attention and work harder at aping what smart people do and say instead of just memorizing that one "show me yr cites" trick and hammering it in as many times as you can every time you see people enjoying talking to each other.

And you have made quite a lot of claims, you crazy broken rear end in a top hat.

FOR THE THIRD TIME: IF RESEARCH IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A JOURNAL SUBSCRIPTION?

Incidentally:

twodot posted:

Do you understand the difference between an intelligence officer you (presumably) have reasons to trust, and posters on the Internet? If a person/chat bot on the Internet wants to claim that Russia is making moves in Ukraine, you of course ask them why they think that.
I loving knew you couldn't handle a hypothetical, because you're loving dumb as pig poo poo. Smart people know how comparisons work, twodot. You loving moron. I was drawing a comparison to the poster you're pointedly ignoring, the one who actually does this for a living and has proprietary information about it? Just because you know literally nothing about anything in the world at all doesn't mean everyone's in the same boat.*

*A boat here being a metaphorical concept. If you struggle with the definition of "metaphor," ask your local librarian.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 10, 2017

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Noctone posted:

Then the only thing open after 2AM is going to be Waffle House and Taco Bell. Though I suppose if the super late nite crew chains are dying it can't be that profitable. So ends the age of the fourthmeal. (Just kidding, Taco Bells are nicer looking from the outside than ever before. If they're not doing at least somewhat okay they're certainly putting on airs compared to most of the other chains around me.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually did see the plans for a big supermarket that didn't have dairy up against a wall for some reason. The back wall was mostly a big deli where you could order lunches and prepared food, the other side walls were butcher/seafood and produce. So the dairy went right in the middle almost as part of the frozen food zone. It was really weird because they still had the rear access for stocking, so an entire aisle was wasted on a little storage hallway thing to get into the back of the dairy coolers.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

It's a conversation you ungodly twat. Nobody's "in the claims-making business." There is no "claims-making business." That is such a balls-on crazy thing to think is happening here, in this casual chat where people are going "here's what my grocery store is like and here's why I think it's like that."
Where is the poster I was responding to that was insisting marketing is a serious grownup field of study and not just aggregated anecdotes?

quote:

And you have made quite a lot of claims, you crazy broken rear end in a top hat.
I'm happy to get into the evidence for any claims you found you have a problem with.

quote:

FOR THE THIRD TIME: IF RESEARCH IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A JOURNAL SUBSCRIPTION?
The thing I care about isn't the research, it's that claims should be accompanied with evidence. And when I say "Hey, is there any real evidence for this, or are people just making stuff up?" you can just reply "We're just telling stories" instead of insisting there's a serious field of study backing what you say and it's up to me to find it.
edit:

quote:

I loving knew you couldn't handle a hypothetical, because you're loving dumb as pig poo poo. Smart people know how comparisons work, twodot. You loving moron. I was drawing a comparison to the poster you're pointedly ignoring, the one who actually does this for a living and has proprietary information about it? Just because you know literally nothing about anything in the world at all doesn't mean everyone's in the same boat.*
Why should I believe that poster? I understand why I should believe the intelligence officer, the intelligence officer has built a relationship of trust, for all I know, this poster is just Google's latest AI project.
edit2:
And even if I did believe that poster what happens when poster2 comes in and says "I also have proprietary information and poster1 is lying!"?

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 10, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's a reckoning coming in fast food though, hoo boy. I have proprietary information about how extremely hosed a major chain is, since they've already pulled the trigger on their last-resort plan to boost sales and don't have anywhere else to go.

It's already a publicly known fact that Subway is dying in a garbage fire so I'd guess... Mcdonalds?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

It's already a publicly known fact that Subway is dying in a garbage fire so I'd guess... Mcdonalds?

Subway dying makes me happy cos it's a lousy place for sandwiches.

Also while we stock milk from the front in the UK, on the trolleys it comes from from the dairy, the fridges are still against the back wall usually. The coolant pump is also usually behind the back wall somewhere too, so I imagine they may be related, generally the open fridges tend to be closer to the pump while the closed freezers are further away.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 10, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twodot posted:

Where is the poster I was responding to that was insisting marketing is a serious grownup field of study and not just aggregated anecdotes?

Do you really want to claim the entire field of marketing is bunk?

Let me guess, you're one of those people who "isn't affected by advertising." :rolleyes:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

I'm happy to get into the evidence for any claims you found you have a problem with.

The thing I care about isn't the research, it's that claims should be accompanied with evidence. And when I say "Hey, is there any real evidence for this, or are people just making stuff up?" you can just reply "We're just telling stories" instead of insisting there's a serious field of study backing what you say and it's up to me to find it.

You mean the person who does this for a living and called you on your poo poo? That poster? The one you just claimed couldn't possibly know anything because only spies can know things? That guy?

twodot posted:

Ok, show me the evidence for your claim that you didn't make any claims, you lying poo poo.

twodot posted:

FOR THE FOURTH TIME, TWODOT: WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A JOURNAL SUBSCRIPTION? Cut out the middle-man instead of demanding people dig up studies for your loving idiot rear end.

You and I both know you're not smart enough to make heads or tails* of an actual academic study, Freddie "Dunning" Kreuger.

*metaphor alert!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Subway dying makes me happy cos it's a lousy place for sandwiches.

It's hard to think it was one of the fast growing fast-food chains with a public perception of being healthier/fresher than its competitors just 5-8 years when today it's basically viewed as worse than Mcdonalds.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Do you really want to claim the entire field of marketing is bunk?

Let me guess, you're one of those people who "isn't affected by advertising." :rolleyes:

Beyond that, he claimed the entire field of marketing doesn't exist. Someone posted about having a degree in marketing and he still claimed that "Marketing is not a field of study."

MiddleOne posted:

It's hard to think it was one of the fast growing fast-food chains with a public perception of being healthier/fresher than its competitors just 5-8 years when today it's basically viewed as worse than Mcdonalds.

To be fair, Subway did run into a tiny image problem a few years ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Red Baron posted:

Then the only thing open after 2AM is going to be Waffle House and Taco Bell. Though I suppose if the super late nite crew chains are dying it can't be that profitable. So ends the age of the fourthmeal. (Just kidding, Taco Bells are nicer looking from the outside than ever before. If they're not doing at least somewhat okay they're certainly putting on airs compared to most of the other chains around me.)

I feel spoiled only ever having lived in NYC and New Jersey my whole life and never being more than fifteen minutes away from a 24/7 diner.

Cannot believe Burger King is finally going down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beyond that, he claimed the entire field of marketing doesn't exist. Someone posted about having a degree in marketing and he still claimed that "Marketing is not a field of study."

Yea, I know, it's me, the one with the worthless Marketing degree :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I think I only ever ate there once and it was expensive and the sandwich was just.. a sandwich.

I don't see why I need a shop for sandwiches especially as the reason I went there was because it moved into my small town which has lots of small places that will do you a much better sandwich for less.

To be fair, Subway did run into a tiny image problem a few years ago.

What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Yea, I know, it's me, the one with the worthless fictional Marketing degree :v:

:pseudo: