Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Netflix stars supposedly have movie appearances written into their contracts, the question is if whether the movie division wants to actually use them, which looks to be...no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

I was talking specifically about SHIELD because they're the ones who tend to complain about their position. The Netflix crew seems fine with where they are.

The Netflix guys are probably paid a lot more, in addition to the added prestige of not being in a stupid cheap looking show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, the AOS cast puts in a lot of work to promote their show and the show makes a lot of effort to promote the movies. I can see why they'd want to be acknowledged more, especially when they're at the center of the division between the TV and film division.

But nah, they're just greedy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

I was talking specifically about SHIELD because they're the ones who tend to complain about their position. The Netflix crew seems fine with where they are.

Don't know if it was true or not but I remember reading that Colter was actually very reluctant at first to sign on to play Luke Cage because he thought the movies were really lightweight and didn't think it would be either challenging or interesting to play a Marvel character, and had to be reassured that it would mostly be its own thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

So he will star in a series of enjoyable shows for over twenty years?

Promise?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The Netflix guys are probably paid a lot more, in addition to the added prestige of not being in a stupid cheap looking show.

Netflix shows aren't exactly high budget productions. Most of them probably are pretty cheap except for shooting in NYC. Iron Fist particularly looks cheap as gently caress. So does Inhumans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They got a super sweet deal on shooting in NYC so that cut their costs down quite a bit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

notthegoatseguy posted:

Netflix shows aren't exactly high budget productions. Most of them probably are pretty cheap except for shooting in NYC. Iron Fist particularly looks cheap as gently caress. So does Inhumans.

The original budget for the 4 individual seasons + Defenders was 200+M. There are other Netflix shows with (much) higher budgets but the Marvel stuff is not done on the cheap.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

notthegoatseguy posted:

Inhumans isn't a Netflix show, though it does share a producer from Iron Fist. Also, all of the current shows, including the Netflix shows, are ABC Studios/Marvel TV productions. Netflix just has exclusive distribution rights for their bunch and I am sure Netflix probably paid something to get the deal, but it isn't like they are making the shows themselves.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I will not be satisfied until I see Iron Man, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Lockjaw, Quake, Daredevil, Squirrel Girl and Cloak and Dagger all standing next to each other in a movie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hippo posted:

I will not be satisfied until I see Iron Man, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Lockjaw, Quake, Daredevil, Squirrel Girl and Cloak and Dagger all standing next to each other in a movie.

Maximum Carnage or bust

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Light Gun Man posted:

Maximum Carnage or bust

I just reread that and holy christ is it loving terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I just reread that and holy christ is it loving terrible.

My absolute favorite thing about Maximum Carnage is when the one writer completely derails the story to cram in NIGHTWATCH, his pet Spawn ripoff.

Maximum Carnage would've probably been fine as a 5 or 6 issue storyline, but there's so much drat filler in there. And this is before the days of decompression, so you can really feel it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

My absolute favorite thing about Maximum Carnage is when the one writer completely derails the story to cram in NIGHTWATCH, his pet Spawn ripoff.

Maximum Carnage would've probably been fine as a 5 or 6 issue storyline, but there's so much drat filler in there. And this is before the days of decompression, so you can really feel it.

It's also really funny to re-read after poo poo like Secret Invasion and Infinity where everyone is straight up fine with just flat out murdering folks because they're aliens and then all the moral debates about whether or not to kill loving Carnage who in universe at the time was the most prolific serial killer ever in the middle of a murder spree.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It's also really funny to re-read after poo poo like Secret Invasion and Infinity where everyone is straight up fine with just flat out murdering folks because they're aliens and then all the moral debates about whether or not to kill loving Carnage who in universe at the time was the most prolific serial killer ever in the middle of a murder spree.

Eh, gently caress those comics. I'd much rather read about a spider-man who doesn't want to kill even the worst person in the world than a Captain America who's fine with killing thousands of weird aliens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-comedy-1019588

Milana Vayntrub has been cast as Squirrel Girl. Derek Thayer is Misterr Immortal, Jeremy Tardy as Night Thrasher; Calum Worthy as Speedball; Matthew Moy as Microbe and Kate Comer as Debrii

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Milana Vayntrub has been cast as Squirrel Girl.
YES :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's...that's...huh...she did good work in those AT&T(?) commercials, but huh

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I liked her on This Is Us :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They do auditions, they don't cast based on the internet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

redbackground posted:

I'm not saying she's a bad choice, I know she's got comedy chops and stuff, just unexpected.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

While she hasn't exactly headlined things she has a pretty solid backing in comedy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Did the internet have a favorite for Squirrel Girl? It's always hilarious when people get worked up over a fan casting or an assumed one, and then get angry when they inevitably choose someone else.

Like how everyone was certain Terry Crews was totally gonna be Doomfist, and then insulted an accomplished actor and playwright for getting the role instead.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think Anna Kendrick was tossed around as some people's ideal.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Barb from Stranger Things was a Main Internet Contender.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anna Kendrick (I think she expressed interest maybe?) and Shannon Purser both got lobbed around at various points.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Oh hell yeah. I am in love with her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have no idea who she is, but people who aren't lovely are saying she's a good choice. I like Mae Whitman for the part honestly. I do hope she gets some meat on her (that's a terrible way to put it but it's the only way I can say it), because Doreen is supposed to curvy and swole.

I really did with Squirrel Girl would feature in a film. Well, there's still hope for Ms Marvel.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I like Mae Whitman for the part honestly.
Her?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm the only person who watched Other Space, aren't I? She was pretty funny on that.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Is she funny or something?

redbackground posted:

She was also in a Netflix show starring Gillian Jacobs. I only watched part of an episode of it and can't remember the name.

I thought Ellie Kemper would have done a great job, although maybe that would have been way too similar to playing Kimmy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no strong feelings on the casting but people who thought they wouldn't cast a conventionally attractive actress in a superhero show were not being very realistic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

AbsolutelySane posted:

She was also in a Netflix show starring Gillian Jacobs. I only watched part of an episode of it and can't remember the name.
It had the blandest name imaginable: Love

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kristen Schaal is always going to be MY Doreen

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AbsolutelySane posted:

I thought Ellie Kemper would have done a great job, although maybe that would have been way too similar to playing Kimmy.

Ellie Kemper would be a perfect Hellcat if they adapted Patsy Walker : AKA Hellcat. Like Kimmy Schmidt, they both have that "adult woman who still kind of acts like a kid because they missed out on it" thing. But Marvel decided to do a more mature Patsy Walker.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-comedy-1019588

Milana Vayntrub has been cast as Squirrel Girl. Derek Thayer is Misterr Immortal, Jeremy Tardy as Night Thrasher; Calum Worthy as Speedball; Matthew Moy as Microbe and Kate Comer as Debrii

I like this casting a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Barb from Stranger Things was a Main Internet Contender.

This was based 100% on her appearance. Nobody really took into account that she wasn't that good of an actress and definitely not lead material.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

This was based 100% on her appearance. Nobody really took into account that she wasn't that good of an actress and definitely not lead material.

Hey, that doesn't mean anything. Actresses are cast for their looks all the time. In fact, I just got done watching a video where an attractive young girl had to audition for a part on the casting couch!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Hey, that doesn't mean anything. Actresses are cast for their looks all the time. In fact, I just got done watching a video where an attractive young girl had to audition for a part on the casting couch!

Actors are also casted for acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but not on Freeform.