Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

caligulamprey posted:

Sparks syndrome. Or it's probably the other way around, Sparks might have Kinks syndrome. Either way, listen to The Kinks and Sparks.

I think I've just given up on ever finding a Sparks album in the wild, especially in anything-south-of-Chicago Illinois.

I do come across Kinks albums though at my nearby record store, but they're usually 70's releases. I have a loose copy of Greatest Hits from '66 that made its way into my collection, that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

King Vidiot posted:

I think I've just given up on ever finding a Sparks album in the wild, especially in anything-south-of-Chicago Illinois.

I do come across Kinks albums though at my nearby record store, but they're usually 70's releases. I have a loose copy of Greatest Hits from '66 that made its way into my collection, that's about it.

I passed up both Sparks and 60s Kinks records at the most recent record fair in town (Austin TX) because the jackets didn't meet my impenetrable-to-me-even condition standards. I've passed up copies of Muswell Hillbillies both in the States and on a trip to Europe for the same mystical reasons. I did pick up a copy of the third Badfinger album-- which is the best one and seemingly impossible to find among all the copies of Magic Christian Music-- for $18 at that record fair.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 9, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I thought I could wait for a mythical mono copy of Rubber Soul in the wild that didn't have a split jacket but I gave in last year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What's the rarest or most seemingly impossible to find thing in the wild that you've actually found in the wild?

I think mine's Hawkwind's debut album, which I got at a Goodwill.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What's the rarest or most seemingly impossible to find thing in the wild that you've actually found in the wild?

According to discogs, the most valuable thing I've found in the wild was a sealed copy of this single, but it's not something I was looking for or had even heard of. I also bought a couple from the same label that were similarly expensive (though not sealed).

After that, the three best records I've found at thrift stores are Pet Sounds, Master of Puppets, and The Pixies' Doolittle. Pet Sounds in particular was one I had wanted for a long time. And since we're talking about The Kinks, I actually found Arthur in a Goodwill a few years back, but it's in pretty bad shape. In general I think the theory about Kinks records in America is pretty accurate.

I haven't had much luck finding anything in the past couple years. Our Goodwill started cherry-picking records and marking up anything by a recognizable artist. I did manage to find a Funkadelic best-of album for $1.35 yesterday though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Probably a first pressing of Ween's The Pod for $70.

Same place had a copy of Crispin Glover's The Big Problem, but it had a corner cut and I just couldn't justify the $35 for it. In retrospect, I was being dumb.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Same place had a copy of Crispin Glover's The Big Problem, but it had a corner cut and I just couldn't justify the $35 for it. In retrospect, I was being dumb.

At least now you realize it. I'd probably punch a toddler in the face to find someone selling that for 35 bucks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Maybe the mono copy of Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel, which I purchased because I'm like a vinyl gollum.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am thinking Chumbawamba's Jesus H Christ is somewhat rare. I also found first pressings of stuff like Pink Flag, Zen Arcade, or Paranoid Time. Those aren't necessarily rare, but I think they're not often for sale because people keep their copies, or when they are, they sell pretty quickly. I saw a copy of Unknown Pleasures, which I wish I had bought, but I didn't really feel like spending $80 at the time.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Mine is a first US pressing of zombies - odessey and oracle. Not sure how rare it actually is, but I've only seen one and looked for it in the wild for years. Mine isn't in great condition:(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think the rarest things I've seen in the wild were a mono copy of Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets and a first pressing of Evol by Sonic Youth. I didn't buy either of them because they were too expensive.

edit: I just remembered another time I saw a psych-rock album that was made by a cult in the 70s, and that's most likely the absolute rarest thing I've ever seen. I really wish I would have bought it. I can't remember the name of it so I can't look for it online. I've been kicking myself for that one for a long time. I think it was 50 bucks or something, but whatever it was at the time I didn't have enough money for it.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 10, 2017

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

edit: I just remembered another time I saw a psych-rock album that was made by a cult in the 70s, and that's most likely the absolute rarest thing I've ever seen. I really wish I would have bought it. I can't remember the name of it so I can't look for it online. I've been kicking myself for that one for a long time. I think it was 50 bucks or something, but whatever it was at the time I didn't have enough money for it.

Sounds like it was probably Ya Ho Wha / Father Yod / Source Family?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
One time in a record store I saw someone who wasn't a total dork and actually had a sense of humor.

Fake e. Recordings of local high school band performances

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Haven't found any particularly rare LPs but I found Weird Al, Wendy Carlos Peter and the Wolf in NM condition on CD for $3.99. Someone at Half Price Books didn't know what it was and put it in the kids section.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

Sounds like it was probably Ya Ho Wha / Father Yod / Source Family?

That sounds about right, but I can't seem to find the album I saw on discogs.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
can someone recommend me a decent, sub $100 phono pre-amp?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dogen posted:

Can’t really tell much difference between OK Computer’s last reissue and OKNOTOK. I guess they did a pretty good job with the prior reissue. Like having the B sides and “new” tracks on LP tho.

I'm 99% sure the previous issue of OK Computer on vinyl used the 1997 master.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Frances the Mute and some solo Omar LPs. I'm assuming a hipster girl died and her parents dumped the albums at a Half Priced Books.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A copy of Kraftwerk's third album, Ralf & Florian at a Half-Price. Stumbled over it completely at random. It's not like real-money rare or whatever, I doubt I have any records that I could sell to make rent, for example. However, it's a 70s pressing, not a bootleg, so I'm pleased. It's also probably my most-played Kraftwerk record (partly because it's fantastic but also partly because I don't have a copy of Trans-Europe Express.)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
As far as rare albums, while I dont think its super rare it was pretty cool to find Brian Eno's Ambient 1 & 2 in a north idaho record shop

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Rarest for me was some TISM albums, the Collected Recordings was from Collectors Corner in Melbourne for 40 bucks about ten years ago, the records weren't technically from a shop, but from a dude who would buy up random lots from estates and old radio stations and stuff to resell from his garage, got them also for about 40 bucks for both. Discogs has median price for Truckin Songs at $84.62, no sales history for the others. Fun fact, one of the pressings for Truckin Songs had all 4 sides (purposely) sealed so you had to use a box cutter to open it up.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I got a laserdisc double feature of Charles Bronson westerns at the goodwill. They were priced as vinyl instead of laserdiscs and therefore dirt cheap.

Otherwise I've found a few shellac 78s of 1900s-10s. Don't know how rare they are but in some cases google searches of the artist and title turned up nothing and that points to rarity imo.

Anyone know about playing 78s? I hear using a regular needle can damage them.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

screaden posted:

Fun fact, one of the pressings for Truckin Songs had all 4 sides (purposely) sealed so you had to use a box cutter to open it up.

The TISM sealed on all 4 sides was the 7" record in a 12" Sleeve for "Defecate on my Face", They had one (opened) at Rocking Horse Records for $100 and I couldn't justify it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

The TISM sealed on all 4 sides was the 7" record in a 12" Sleeve for "Defecate on my Face", They had one (opened) at Rocking Horse Records for $100 and I couldn't justify it.

Ah ok, yeah clearly misremembered, still hilarious though.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I recently moved, and had to reconnect my turntable/amp/speaker setup.
I tested the setup by putting a known good record, and starting it up. It would play for a little bit, but then the needle started skipping like mad. I figured, well maybe I screwed up setting the counterweight or anti-skating, so I tried that. Nope, needle still skipping and juddering like mad. Next culprit...maybe the azimuth is off, and I need to adjust the needle. Did that, and STILL dealing w/the skipping.
I realized eventually, that even when the turntable wasn't rotating, that if I left the stylus on the record, it would start jumping like mad after a bit. Immediately, I thought to myself that maybe I didn't ground the turntable to the receiver, OR perhaps I wasn't getting good power from the outlet. I turned the receiver around to investigate and realized...I'd hooked up the speakers completely backwards: ground to hot, and hot to ground. Jesus loving Christ. The morale of the story: don't hook up your stereo in a poorly lit room if you are color blind. Also, be careful w/electricity.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I got a laserdisc double feature of Charles Bronson westerns at the goodwill. They were priced as vinyl instead of laserdiscs and therefore dirt cheap.

Otherwise I've found a few shellac 78s of 1900s-10s. Don't know how rare they are but in some cases google searches of the artist and title turned up nothing and that points to rarity imo.

Anyone know about playing 78s? I hear using a regular needle can damage them.

I don't know about damaging them, but a regular needle will make them sound terrible since they'll actually pick up a lot more noise. The groove on a 78 is wider than a microgroove record, so your needle will ride inside of it.

Just get a needle for 78 records if you're interested.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

screaden posted:

Rarest for me was some TISM albums, the Collected Recordings was from Collectors Corner in Melbourne for 40 bucks about ten years ago, the records weren't technically from a shop, but from a dude who would buy up random lots from estates and old radio stations and stuff to resell from his garage, got them also for about 40 bucks for both. Discogs has median price for Truckin Songs at $84.62, no sales history for the others. Fun fact, one of the pressings for Truckin Songs had all 4 sides (purposely) sealed so you had to use a box cutter to open it up.

Holy poo poo! These are awesome, but mostly I'm just jazzed to see someone else who knows what TISM is :)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

betterinsodapop posted:

I recently moved, and had to reconnect my turntable/amp/speaker setup.
I tested the setup by putting a known good record, and starting it up. It would play for a little bit, but then the needle started skipping like mad. I figured, well maybe I screwed up setting the counterweight or anti-skating, so I tried that. Nope, needle still skipping and juddering like mad. Next culprit...maybe the azimuth is off, and I need to adjust the needle. Did that, and STILL dealing w/the skipping.
I realized eventually, that even when the turntable wasn't rotating, that if I left the stylus on the record, it would start jumping like mad after a bit. Immediately, I thought to myself that maybe I didn't ground the turntable to the receiver, OR perhaps I wasn't getting good power from the outlet. I turned the receiver around to investigate and realized...I'd hooked up the speakers completely backwards: ground to hot, and hot to ground. Jesus loving Christ. The morale of the story: don't hook up your stereo in a poorly lit room if you are color blind. Also, be careful w/electricity.

That's really odd. I'm struggling to try and figure out why reversed polarity on your speakers would ever make your records skip.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Glazier posted:

Holy poo poo! These are awesome, but mostly I'm just jazzed to see someone else who knows what TISM is :)

I'm actually very familiar with the 'tism.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Barry posted:

That's really odd. I'm struggling to try and figure out why reversed polarity on your speakers would ever make your records skip.

Me too, the worst that would happen is that they would be out of phase and the sound might be thin; passive speakers don't have any electricity to send back into your receiver. Are you sure the turntable itself is level?

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 10, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Barry posted:

Not just skip, the cartridge was violently jumping off the plinth/record even when stationary. poo poo was wild.
The speakers are hooked up to the receiver, and the turntable power is plugged into the receiver.
Once I fixed it, the jumping stopped immediately.

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 10, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think there's some vital piece of information we're missing here because reversed polarity on passive speakers would (well, should) never cause that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I'm actually very familiar with the 'tism.

I find that a large percentage of serious record collectors have tism.

betterinsodapop posted:

Not just skip, the cartridge was violently jumping off the plinth/record even when stationary. poo poo was wild.
The speakers are hooked up to the receiver, and the turntable power is plugged into the receiver.
Once I fixed it, the jumping stopped immediately.

Your house is haunted by the ghost of an audiophile who is angered by even the most minuscule of improper setups.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Got something interesting. Ordered a flexi from a small artist a few months back and kinda forgot about it, and it never shipped. By way of apology she sent me 4 flexis instead of the single one I ordered. I gave two away to friends who have turntables, but that still leaves one. Anyone here want it?

Here's their bandcamp, which has one of the songs on the flexi: https://kimandthecreated.bandcamp.com/

e: not selling, I'll just mail it out if you want it
It arrived today!

It will be the first record I play when I finally get my table set up. Thanks!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sweet. Hope you like it!

CPL593H posted:

Your house is haunted by the ghost of an audiophile who is angered by even the most minuscule of improper setups.

Stay safe turntable ghost

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

can someone recommend me a decent, sub $100 phono pre-amp?

I use this one and haven't had any issues.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE/FJB...productads-adid

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Most valuable in my collection is clear pressing of Bowie's Blackstar but I bought that online day it was announced. Panopticon's Kentucky and Roads to the North are up there too. In shop maybe Fionn Reagan?

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 11, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I used that one for a long time, but I would remark that the wiring on the included power supply is flimsy as poo poo. The actual unit is solid, though.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't know about damaging them, but a regular needle will make them sound terrible since they'll actually pick up a lot more noise. The groove on a 78 is wider than a microgroove record, so your needle will ride inside of it.

Just get a needle for 78 records if you're interested.

I have a needle that I can flip over, so one needle is for 33/45 , and one is for 78. i ffell like the problem would be damaging the needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

I have a needle that I can flip over, so one needle is for 33/45 , and one is for 78. i ffell like the problem would be damaging the needle.
Apparently they will damage the gently caress out of the stylus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqLyHA7GO6s