Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's actually Joakim Noah with the worst contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If Parsons is healthy hahahaha then his contract is merely bad rather than outright hideous.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Evan Turner isn't even the top 10 worst contracts in the NBA

There's so many bad contracts

and a quarter of them are on the knicks

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tae posted:

Evan Turner isn't even the top 10 worst contracts in the NBA

There's so many bad contracts

and a quarter of them are on the knicks

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Parsons is still owed $72 million over the next three years. Noah is "only" owed $55 million.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Mozgov's contract is really bad

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/884518601989906432

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

rjmccall posted:

As a 49ers fan I'm certainly not going to begrudge someone their right to instantly bitch about a team getting worse. I'm just saying that the net result of wishing on a cursed monkey's paw is supposed to be, you know, negative in some way, not getting pretty much exactly what you wanted. Having a great team dominate the league for years and then eventually fade away into mediocrity as players retire is not an ironic reversal.

I was going to edit monkey's paw to Faustian bargain, but my router poo poo the bed (thanks Rod Serling) so it never got changed, so sorry, sorry

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Payne does NOT deserve this constant harassing and bullying from bulls fans

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Mozgov's contract is really bad

Yes but he is still marginally playable and is owed only $48 million over three years, which makes him a bargain compared to Parsons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Worse contracts than Evan Turner:
Mosgov
Noah
Ian Mahinmi
Luol Deng
Bismark Biyombo
Miles Plumlee has THREE more years of 12.5 million annual

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

dokmo posted:

Parsons is still owed $72 million over the next three years. Noah is "only" owed $55 million.

Would you rather pay $72m for a below average starter/excellent rotation player (again, assuming Parson gets back to maybe 90% of what he was), or $55m for a bad rotation player who would be a garbage time only guy on a playoff team.

That's a genuine question by the way.

And I know your answer is going to be "one can't assume Parsons is going to be healthy again, that has to factor into evaluating the contract", but humour me. :v:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

It's actually Joakim Noah with the worst contract.

Noah put up 1 more win share than Turner in 600 fewer minutes.

People really, really, really underestimate how bad Evan Turner is. I think because he just looks like he should be better at basketball than he is, but gently caress he's remarkably bad at everything. The only thing he can do remotely well is shoot free throws and he barely gets to the line at all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Actually that's super effective in breaking the press

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cam Payne should retire and go ball for ISIS with Marshall Henderson

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Would you rather pay $72m for a below average starter/excellent rotation player (again, assuming Parson gets back to maybe 90% of what he was), or $55m for a bad rotation player who would be a garbage time only guy on a playoff team.

The former obviously, but there is no way Parsons has even a 25% chance to become an average rotation player again. If the chance was 90% I would take Parsons.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Metapod posted:

Payne does NOT deserve this constant harassing and bullying from bulls fans

Niwrad posted:

Cameron Payne is legitimately the worst player I've ever seen make it to the NBA.

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD2_/status/884506694256087040
https://twitter.com/chrisbleck/status/884512261972348928

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

dokmo posted:

The former obviously, but there is no way Parsons has even a 25% chance to become an average rotation player again. If the chance was 90% I would take Parsons.

Are his injuries chronic in some particular way? I have to confess I haven't really been keeping up to date. It seems to me that over the last couple of years players are coming back from knee tears better and better - not always at peak athleticism but still pretty close (Wes Matthews comes to mind).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

leftist heap posted:

Noah put up 1 more win share than Turner in 600 fewer minutes.

People really, really, really underestimate how bad Evan Turner is. I think because he just looks like he should be better at basketball than he is, but gently caress he's remarkably bad at everything. The only thing he can do remotely well is shoot free throws and he barely gets to the line at all.

Yeah but at least he can shoot free throws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VlJBcG4-7M

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

Bismark Biyombo

Holy fuckin poo poo. New title. Love you tae tae

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

tanglewood1420 posted:

And I know your answer is going to be "one can't assume Parsons is going to be healthy again, that has to factor into evaluating the contract", but humour me. :v:

We kind of had a similar argument between Carroll and Parsons. Would you rather pay a lot of money for a thoroughly mediocre player that the coach plays way more than he should, or would you rather pay even more money to a busted player that will never see the court but will not take playing time away from anyone.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its really funny in retrospect how livid rockets fans were to lose parsons and sign ariza instead. Ariza has made less than half the money and played in nearly twice as many games since, and thats before you get into the rest of parson's deal. I guess its not entirely possible to project health and all, but pretty major bullet dodged.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bulls last 2 lottery picks went 2-25 in today's game.

Also I didn't understand why a guy who had just had microfracture surgery got such a big deal.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

What's wrong with him? Are his knees that shot that he can't ever at least be serviceable again?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

The Bulls last 2 lottery picks went 2-25 in today's game.

Also I didn't understand why a guy who had just had microfracture surgery got such a big deal.

Denzel Valentine is so bad

Also the Bulls gave up 2 lottery picks for Dpug McD who was traded for Cam Payne so he might as well count as a Bulls lottery pick as well.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Doltos posted:

What's wrong with him? Are his knees that shot that he can't ever at least be serviceable again?

He ended three consecutive seasons with knee injuries. The most recent, a partial tear on his L meniscus, he should theoretically recover from. But he also had two surgeries on his R knee, including "hybrid microfracture", I'm not doctor but I think that is medical code for "death sentence". In any case, he was never the most motivated player, he just got paid the max, and he'll be 31 years old by his next contract year. I'd say that adds up to not looking good.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

The Cerberus of CJ McCollum, TJ McConnell, and KJ McDaniels trips me up more than the CJs

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Denzel Valentine is so bad

Also the Bulls gave up 2 lottery picks for Dpug McD who was traded for Cam Payne so he might as well count as a Bulls lottery pick as well.

Bulls gave up 5 picks to get McDermott. They also traded a 2nd rounder in that deal to get Payne. So they actually turned 4 picks (2 mid-first, 4 second round) into Cameron Payne.

Denzel Valentine is like Doug McDermott but somehow less athletic.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah but at least he can shoot free throws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VlJBcG4-7M

by a few advanced stats he was the best or second best player on the Knicks last season :[

I thought he was the perfect tanking acquisition when they picked him up and I still support the move.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MourningView posted:

What in the world has Reggie Miller ever said or done that would make you think he'd be good at running anything, much less a basketball team

Well I think he'd be better at it than Simon. He loves the franchise enough to spend some drat money to get good players. Also, I never said that he'd be the only owner. I'd rather it be a coalition of people with Reggie being the face and the rest of them being savvy businesspeople. I'm lukewarm to Reggie Miller as a person and a broadcaster. I just know that the average Hoosier would be behind that 1000%.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
In the context of their respective teams Joakim Noah is a much, much better contract than Evan Turner.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Parsons is the reason why ZBO and Vince are no longer on the Grizz

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Parsons contract single handedly destroyed any hope the grizzlies had of contending for like the next 5-6 years.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

It's weird because you think Hollinger should have known better after writing this a long time ago:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The GM for the Grizzlies is Chris Wallace, who's a piece of poo poo person.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

zoux posted:

Welcome to the Clippers, Guy from Under a Bridge.

I see big things in Depressed Dane Cook's future

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

It's weird because you think Hollinger should have known better after writing this a long time ago:

Maybe he's trying to tank? Or trying to get fired? Or maybe now that's he's Vice GM part of his job description is ignoring the numbers-backed guidance of data nerds and he wouldn't be doing the work he's paid for if he didn't disregard his own advice?

Coulda just been the head guy ignoring him, eh I don't know

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

No, mac buc and taj isxnot enough for cameron payne, we need a draft pick too

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I understand all the talk about Cam Payne, but we need to shine a light on Doug McDermott as well...he's bad..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I understand all the talk about Cam Payne, but we need to shine a light on Doug McDermott as well...he's bad..

He at least has one NBA level skill. I have no idea how Payne made it to the NBA. He's a less athletic Marquis Teague.

• Locked thread