Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

How many of the top 10 things in hockey history are some version of off-ice confrontation? Because there's Terry O'Reilly going into the crowd, the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi, and, while they don't make the overall list, I love Tortorella at the Flames dressing room and injured as gently caress Darcy Tucker going from the press box to rinkside to try and get at Cam Janssen after Janssen hit Kaberle.

Have another donut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpcb5aTnPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Have another donut

"MONTREAL TYPICAL!"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This discussion reminds me of something I've been wondering: how much say does Brad Treliving actually have? I know he's the GM, but Burke is a known quantity and he's prez of hockey operations, so I feel like he supercedes any impulse Treliving has good or bad...

The whole concept of a President role for a team that acts as more than just a PR guy is fairly new in the NHL. You have a few teams like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver that have a President that seems to call the shots over a GM, but to what extent they're actually involved in decision making seems to depend on the team. As a general rule, I'd say that Presidents are closely involved in the overarching decision making but steer clear of the grunt work. So someone like Burke probably says "lets make a run at Hamonic" then Treliving undertakes the bulk of negotiation and paperwork.

I very much doubt Burke has a say in the vast majority of transactions leaving things like the draft, lesser signings, smaller trades and such entirely up to Treliving. Bigger stuff probably requires his consultation, but Treliving can largely operate independent of him.

Basically Burke gets to jump in and do his bombastic Trump style closer thing when he feels like it, but can for the most part ignore the day to day running of a professional hockey team. He gets to take credit for big moves, but doesn't have to attend regular scouting meetings. In return, Treliving gets a lessened PR role and probably doesn't have to bother himself with appeasing ownership very often. It makes sense why you'd split a role as big as what the GM position can entail, it just means having to cede final authority on a bunch of key decisions and that can ruffle a few feathers when there's egos involved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm honestly curious how much Sather has influenced Gorton since he was moved up to President. Aside from the Eric Staal train wreck, a lot of GMJG's decisions have been the Anti-Sather.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philly moved Holmgren to president to get him out of the way but still let him have a job because Former Player

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

The whole concept of a President role for a team that acts as more than just a PR guy is fairly new in the NHL. You have a few teams like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver that have a President that seems to call the shots over a GM, but to what extent they're actually involved in decision making seems to depend on the team. As a general rule, I'd say that Presidents are closely involved in the overarching decision making but steer clear of the grunt work. So someone like Burke probably says "lets make a run at Hamonic" then Treliving undertakes the bulk of negotiation and paperwork.

I very much doubt Burke has a say in the vast majority of transactions leaving things like the draft, lesser signings, smaller trades and such entirely up to Treliving. Bigger stuff probably requires his consultation, but Treliving can largely operate independent of him.

Basically Burke gets to jump in and do his bombastic Trump style closer thing when he feels like it, but can for the most part ignore the day to day running of a professional hockey team. He gets to take credit for big moves, but doesn't have to attend regular scouting meetings. In return, Treliving gets a lessened PR role and probably doesn't have to bother himself with appeasing ownership very often. It makes sense why you'd split a role as big as what the GM position can entail, it just means having to cede final authority on a bunch of key decisions and that can ruffle a few feathers when there's egos involved.

I think it it probably varies by team too. Nashville's president (and CEO) is a sports management guy, not at all a hockey guy, so I'm sure he has very little input on hockey ops aside from budget.

edit: I guess Poile is "President of Hockey Operations" as well as GM.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

How many of the top 10 things in hockey history are some version of off-ice confrontation? Because there's Terry O'Reilly going into the crowd, the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi, and, while they don't make the overall list, I love Tortorella at the Flames dressing room and injured as gently caress Darcy Tucker going from the press box to rinkside to try and get at Cam Janssen after Janssen hit Kaberle.

i also enjoy patrick roy breaking the bench partition in anger in his like, first game as head coach. and robbie ftorek throwing the bench onto the ice (which resulted in a bench minor)

also most of them weren't what you'd call confrontations and did to a certain extent involve on-ice things, but like, everything roger neilson ever did

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

I think it it probably varies by team too. Nashville's president (and CEO) is a sports management guy, not at all a hockey guy, so I'm sure he has very little input on hockey ops aside from budget.

Oh yeah, the President/CEO as a business role has been around for a while. Hockey teams are worth upwards of $1bn, it's just common sense to have someone overseeing that side of things. I'm strictly talking the situations where you have people like Shanahan and Linden in the President's role who are quite public about their involvement in hockey ops and have little to no business experience.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjupnYB5vUI

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:allears:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think the Flyers fan "went into the box to fight Domi" so much as his fat rear end fell over the glass accidentally and then cowered on the ground

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

I don't think the Flyers fan "went into the box to fight Domi" so much as his fat rear end fell over the glass accidentally and then cowered on the ground

Yeah, he was talking poo poo to Domi and got pretty pissed when Domi squirted him but he fell in because the glass gave way. He didn't seem like he really intended to go in.

E: man i can still hear the concern in Pang's voice "oh this isn't good....". He just knows Domi's going to destroy him

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 10, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
how quickly we forget....

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'd rather we did.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Did they do anything after 2011 or did the bruins kill them too

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i remember reading that a lot of the "director of hockey ops" type roles were to give another layer of management that would be more stable than firing a GM every few years. so instead of the owner/president having to find a new GM every couple of yeras, the hockey ops person would get a couple of swings at it

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

What about that time Boston won in OT in the playoffs and the fans were so ecstatic that they knocked the glass off the brackets and onto a Bruins player celebrating right in front of them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

Did they do anything after 2011 or did the bruins kill them too

Nah, they cashed in on it and did a bunch of ads and wrote a book before retiring a few seasons later. Their hearts weren't in it after 2011 though (like myself and every other Canuck fan out there).

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 10, 2017

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Some team presidents, such as Shanahan, serve as somewhat of a figurehead where they don't have the experience to be a GM, but they have the connections and clout to assemble a staff of hockey guys who do. Pat LaFontaine was brought in to do that type of thing in Buffalo for a short time - a famous/well-liked player who had also worked for the league, helping to tie things together. The people person of hockey ops.

I think this is where some of the old-tyme hockey guys like Burke and Sather fit well. They're good ol' boys who probably know every coaching candidate, scout, agent, etc. - and that is very important to an organization when trying to attact off-ice personnel - but it isn't a fit for NHL GMs in 2017.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Kostitsyn abandonne

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Lindy Ruff is officially an assistant coach for the Rangers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Lindy Ruff is officially an assistant coach for the Rangers.

don't you dare put Staal out there to protect a lead, Lindy :argh:

or for anything other than soft third pairing minutes'

or at all

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

A player going through the glass to smash the green men would be a top 5, for sure

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Nah, they cashed in on it and did a bunch of ads and wrote a book before retiring a few seasons later.

Sound like True Americans to me

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hand Knit posted:

...the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi...

I feel so fortunate to have witnessed that on live television.

e: does this count as an off-rink memorable incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnQPJdaJeA ?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 10, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/884472486150127617

Oilers make another good signing??? :confused:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Don't worry, he'll be nailed to the pressbox in favour of Kris Russell

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I didn't think Auvitu got enough of a chance with the Devils, especially considering how poo poo some of their regulars were.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Habibi posted:

hahahaha hell yeah it does

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

I didn't think Auvitu got enough of a chance with the Devils, especially considering how poo poo some of their regulars were.

He's a really nice depth defenseman but John Hynes is a big dumb-dumb

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Habibi posted:

the fact that this isn't a bit from wwe is incredible to me

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Habibi posted:

I feel so fortunate to have witnessed that on live television.

Oh so THAT is why they are so careful to immobilize their heads on the board.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

He's a really nice depth defenseman but John Hynes is a big dumb-dumb

Yeah I thought he was very solid and could have turned into something decent if they had shown any confidence in him. Certainly more than loving Lovejoy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress was the camera crew doing literally ambulance chasing in the first place? That's some heinous poo poo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Some team presidents, such as Shanahan, serve as somewhat of a figurehead where they don't have the experience to be a GM, but they have the connections and clout to assemble a staff of hockey guys who do. Pat LaFontaine was brought in to do that type of thing in Buffalo for a short time - a famous/well-liked player who had also worked for the league, helping to tie things together. The people person of hockey ops.

I think this is where some of the old-tyme hockey guys like Burke and Sather fit well. They're good ol' boys who probably know every coaching candidate, scout, agent, etc. - and that is very important to an organization when trying to attact off-ice personnel - but it isn't a fit for NHL GMs in 2017.

People person of hockey ops sounds about right.

Along those lines, they also act as a buffer between the moneybags owners and the business types that don't know much about hockey and the staff. And at a high level, be someone with hockey experience to decide whether to tear it down/go for it and provide some hockey background to judge if the staff is doing a good job.

Also when it does come time to hire a GM/coach, they are probably better able to see through interviewees with impressive sounding plans that are actually bullshit but sound good to people on the outside.

Basically, even well meaning and awesome owners don't necessarily have the ability/experience/impartiallity to make good hockey decisions so awesome ex-players/old dudes who can't full time GM are good fits since they have the prestige to convince owners to listen to them.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/884552216526434304

That's a pretty good deal for Tampa.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deoju posted:

What the gently caress was the camera crew doing literally ambulance chasing in the first place? That's some heinous poo poo.

It's a camera crew's job to capture whatever might be newsworthy.

If you gonna get mad at someone, get mad at arena security for not keeping their dumbasses out of the way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

7 years seems like a long time for a little dwarf man

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Small oft injured player age 26 coming off two down seasons sure give him 7 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Small oft injured player age 26 coming off two down seasons sure give him 7 years

He's my protege :)

• Locked thread