Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
CV Talk

Saipan vs Strike Ranger. This is one of the worst things in the whole game and its got to the point where I let an enemy Strike Ranger get one strike in if its clear we are winning. In last game, his first strike I strafed 26 planes ie all of them with one strafe/squad. Second strike I let him through, third one I strafed them all again because it was 30secs from winning.

Also unlocked & bought Hakuryu today and my last game in the Taiho was maybe my best:

A Shima torped me and I let the flood run for free flags :grin:.

I need a captain for my Hakuryuu since I want to keep the Taiho. Hoping the Scharnhorst comes on sale since if it did I would sell my Nagato and use that 15 pt guy.

I'm actually surprised at high tier CV play. I finished the Shokaku and Lex a long time ago, well over a year but felt I wasn't really good enough to go further because to me it seemed the T9/T10 CV players were all Unicums. But it's really amazing how little the standard of play changes between T7-T10. I don't often see free strafes like with that strike Ranger but at least half of T10 games I've played (not many so far), the opposing CV doesn't appear to know how to strafe. Also the 2-1-2 Midway is vastly underrated. From reading forums I was sure it was going to be a shitshow of sorts but its really good. My average dmg so far is 25% higher than 1-1-3 Essex because I don't have to mess around trying to gain Air Superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

All DD players should be murdered in their sleep.

They're actually a battleship main player. :smugdog:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Heartcatch posted:

They're actually a battleship main player. :smugdog:

Nah he's got the most games in a Shimakaze. But from what I can tell he bought an Alabama and has been converting free XP to get tier 10 ships. He has a Montana, Shimakaze, Minotaur, Zao, and a Gearing. He's god awful at everything. Bought his way into high tiers and despite having 2,000 games played he has not learned how to actually play the game. A total wallet warrior. Which usually I would have no issue with but after 2k games you should have half a clue at least. His accuracy is abysmal

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 10, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DurosKlav posted:

Nah he's got the most games in a Shimakaze. But from what I can tell he bought an Alabama and has been converting free XP to get tier 10 ships. He has a Montana, Shimakaze, Minotaur, Zao, and a Gearing. He's god awful at everything. Bought his way into high tiers and despite having 2,000 games played he has not learned how to actually play the game. A total wallet warrior. Which usually I would have no issue with but after 2k games you should have half a clue at least. His accuracy is abysmal
:psyduck:

How the hell do you play 2,000 games and not learn along the way that shooting torps when a friendly is down range almost always ends in tears?

So I have some GameStop credit to burn and I can buy wargaming gift cards. Is the Belfast worth owning or should I just buy the Warspite I've been coveting for the past year?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Belfast is a lot better overall

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

How the hell do you play 2,000 games and not learn along the way that shooting torps when a friendly is down range almost always ends in tears?

So I have some GameStop credit to burn and I can buy wargaming gift cards. Is the Belfast worth owning or should I just buy the Warspite I've been coveting for the past year?

Warspite is worth picking up in my opinion, but if you're choosing between the two, the Belfast is one of the most broken ships in the game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I like it when my DDs spend the entire game sitting within secondary range of my battleship. Not engaging the enemy, not smoking, not scouting, just skirting around me like a needy house cat. Ranked.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I like it when my DDs spend the entire game sitting within secondary range of my battleship. Not engaging the enemy, not smoking, not scouting, just skirting around me like a needy house cat. Ranked.

The best thing is when they refuse to go spot for you, but the enemy DD is keeping you permaspotted so you can't actually shoot back at what's shooting you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hazdoc posted:

Torp damage against friendlies is halved.

It was an enemy DD. It was due to their bizarre damage saturation mechanics, I'm just not sure that should matter when hit by something that is capable of doing 95% of a ships health in damage though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Thundercakes posted:

Warspite is worth picking up in my opinion, but if you're choosing between the two, the Belfast is one of the most broken ships in the game.

Broken how?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Broken as in overpowered. It's the only tier 7 that gets access to the T8 concealment mod which with skills and camo puts you down around 8.7km detection, and it gets smoke, hydro and radar which is a stupid combination for any one ship to have. Good gun arcs, toss in the IFHE skill and you're even more of a menace.

e: Flint probably gets the concealment mod as well but not just anyone can buy that and I don't own it myself
e2: apparently Flint does not get access to the concealment mod

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 10, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

It's the only (easily attainable) ship in the game to combine the flat out best concealment in the game for any cruiser with smoke, radar, and good guns that crank reliably excellent damage with either IFHE or good british AP. It has no weaknesses.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Gwaihir posted:

It's the only (easily attainable) ship in the game to combine the flat out best concealment in the game for any cruiser with smoke, radar, and good guns that crank reliably excellent damage with either IFHE or good british AP. It has no weaknesses.

No torps. So someone can push into your smoke and make you leave. But the Belfast has hydro and radar, so its not like you can't see them coming.

The biggest downside to the Belfast is being too confident in it and sitting still in smoke for too long only to catch a torp spread while setting everyone on fire.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

No torps. So someone can push into your smoke and make you leave. But the Belfast has hydro and radar, so its not like you can't see them coming.

The biggest downside to the Belfast is being too confident in it and sitting still in smoke for too long only to catch a torp spread while setting everyone on fire.

Actually did this to a division of two Belfasts once, nuking one and hitting the other as well. They still have the British cruiser acceleration issues so, if you're sitting at a dead stop and a torpedo salvo comes in on your broadside, even active hydro may very well not give you enough time to get out of the way.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I thought British cruisers had exceptional acceleration? (I haven't leveled that line personally)

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

I thought British cruisers had exceptional acceleration? (I haven't leveled that line personally)

They're great from a stop, it's getting from reversing->forward that is pretty awful. If you've been caught on full reverse and need to go forward to avoid torps, you're going to eat the torps.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

They do. I worded that wrong. Their acceleration is indeed good, but their deceleration is horrific. So while they can start moving from a dead stop, they can't then stop quickly. Meaning both they risk drifting into a different torpedo since they're going to have a hard time successfully drifting into a lane between torpedoes, or drifting out of their smoke entirely.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The most amusing thing about Minotaur is that it accelerates entering turns, but if you're spotted before you can smoke everyone is already shooting everything at you.

DurosKlav posted:

I was mostly joking. They were probably botting most of their games.

It's actually self-detrimental to get tier 10s without learning along the way, but some people just see big shiny large numbers.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
This season's ranked really highlights how piss poor lots of players are. I love the BB drivers who sit way back, at extreme range, and then hide behind an island. Or the DD drivers who go solo hunting and then just die. Yesterday, we had some mope in the lone DD order us to B cap "to pick a fight while he gets A." Nobody thought that barrelling into a cap w/out a DD was a good idea so we followed him to A. Cue raging in chat. My favorite game was the one when we had a ship advantage and 800 - 200 points advantage and then squandered it by drifting into the enemy one at a time. I got friendly torped that match and was reduced to ~500 HP.

Also, I fully agree that doing DD stuff does not get much XP.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
In an ideal world, somebody entering battle in a strike lexington should be murdered.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

I have an acquaintance that was getting into world of tanks a few months back. Despite having maybe 100 games, he asked me what tier 8 premium I suggested he should buy.

Being a decent person I said "You loving moron, don't buy any premium vehicles until you actually get that far in the tech tree." To his credit he actually listened, but he has a very consistent habit of never learning a goddamn thing and using the natural traits of overpowered *stuff* in games like these rather than actually bothering to get good, and then pretending he's good because he lets his stuff carry him to a merely averageish record. Incidentally, the guy is also an idiot. So, to answer your question: That's how.

I ended up just not talking to him after beating him in a 1v1 battle in an unrelated game, after trying and failing to explain to him that he is in fact an idiot. Or to put it another way, I once had front row seats to the dunning-Kruger effect.

Come to think of it, DurosKlav, did the guy have "Talon" anywhere in the name? Because if so, loving lol I might know him.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Two T9 cruiser games back to back, both good, but with different tools (note the damage caused):

Donskoi game: IFHE, fires and kiting like a motherfucker, finishing the game with a double strike via fire.
Baltimore game: all AP all the time (almost), getting in the thick of things, shooting DD's, bow tanking and finish by dueling a Roon who figured he'd rush me and torp (whittled him down on the approach and killed him when he turned).

Cruisers are cool and good.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 10, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pacra posted:

so basically what we have learned is unless you have a full premade group for this one, dont bother : [

I 4 stared it first time with randoms and I don't care about the premium time 5th star, so :shrug: It's not that hard.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Cruisers are cool and good.

I'm playing a fair bit of Indy alongside a friend who just got the Pensacola. He's learning the wonders of American AP.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

They do. I worded that wrong. Their acceleration is indeed good, but their deceleration is horrific. So while they can start moving from a dead stop, they can't then stop quickly. Meaning both they risk drifting into a different torpedo since they're going to have a hard time successfully drifting into a lane between torpedoes, or drifting out of their smoke entirely.

Yea, the RN deceleration is a loving kick to the nuts. I just got vaporized by a minotaur/des moines combo in my Edinburgh because I couldn't go from 1/4 forward to reverse fast enough.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

MoraleHazard posted:

This season's ranked really highlights how piss poor lots of players are. I love the BB drivers who sit way back, at extreme range, and then hide behind an island. Or the DD drivers who go solo hunting and then just die. Yesterday, we had some mope in the lone DD order us to B cap "to pick a fight while he gets A." Nobody thought that barrelling into a cap w/out a DD was a good idea so we followed him to A. Cue raging in chat. My favorite game was the one when we had a ship advantage and 800 - 200 points advantage and then squandered it by drifting into the enemy one at a time. I got friendly torped that match and was reduced to ~500 HP.

Also, I fully agree that doing DD stuff does not get much XP.

I was just saying the exact same thing. There aren't any smoke, radar, or stealth firing crutches this season so it really highlights how completely awful most players are at this game. I actually prefer last season, as it felt like you had a modicum of control over the game if you played right.

This season is just shitter roulette where you hope you happen to have the team with fewer clinically dead players on your team.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

pokchu posted:

I was just saying the exact same thing. There aren't any smoke, radar, or stealth firing crutches this season so it really highlights how completely awful most players are at this game. I actually prefer last season, as it felt like you had a modicum of control over the game if you played right.

This season is just shitter roulette where you hope you happen to have the team with fewer clinically dead players on your team.

As a blue it is loving literally impossible to do things if your team isn't vaguely competent. I'm still stuck at 15. I'm dealing 20k more damage per game above average according to WTR. I'm not good enough to full fledged carry. This is insane. I think if I could get sub 10 it might not be so bad, but getting there seems to be like putting my nuts in a vice.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It doesn't get any better at rank 10-9. People still doing absolutely stupid poo poo, splitting off from the group, running away, pissing away victories, etc. If you play a DD, you are almost completely beholden to your BBs. If they don't shoot at the CLs, if they put themselves in stupid positions, you're done. The situation isn't much better as a BB because you'll usually end up smokeleses and/or permaspotted by a passive scout.

I wish I had an Anshan. A Farrgut-ish boat with longer range torps would at least be an easy(ish) ride to 7, where people might be less stupid.

I wish it were tier 8, so I could whip out my Kut and set everyone on fire.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

As a blue it is loving literally impossible to do things if your team isn't vaguely competent. I'm still stuck at 15. I'm dealing 20k more damage per game above average according to WTR. I'm not good enough to full fledged carry. This is insane. I think if I could get sub 10 it might not be so bad, but getting there seems to be like putting my nuts in a vice.

It's no better sub 10. I've downranked to 12 and back down to 9s so many times now it's annoying. No matter what you do you'll either have yolo destroyers or bbs who hide behind islands (not peek and shoot, full blown hiding behind islands). Oddly enough my most consistent ship is a buddy. Just stay at max range pissing fire everywhere and speed tanking everything. Do it right and every enemy ship is gunning for you and you're pulling 80-100k games. Do it wrong and you're dead quick and can move on.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Went 3 for 5 putting up 65k per game in the Cleveland. I don't know how you did it Hazdoc. I want tier 7 back. Tier 6 is loving awful.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Yeah, 10-5 is just as bad, and from people I've been talking to, 5-1 is currently a hell hole right now, too, as all the "infamous" guys who generally lose their way to rank 1 are there right now

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

pokchu posted:

Yeah, 10-5 is just as bad, and from people I've been talking to, 5-1 is currently a hell hole right now, too, as all the "infamous" guys who generally lose their way to rank 1 are there right now

If I get to rank 1 and I see Warbeasty I will poo poo.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Went 3 for 5 putting up 65k per game in the Cleveland. I don't know how you did it Hazdoc. I want tier 7 back. Tier 6 is loving awful.

You'll need to do 60-90K just to have a chance at pulling your teammates from their idiocy and even then a win won't be guaranteed.

What is the comfortable range on the New Mexico? I figure since I need to go through ranked, I might as well play it a bit. Unfortunately, it seems like it misses constantly from ~8KM. Shooting a side on Budyonny at 8KM with 3 salvos and only getting 2 hits (1 over open) really ruins my game psyche. Normally, I'd consider getting even closer, but there are a ton of Warspites and Bayerns waiting to out brawl you.

HFX fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 11, 2017

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

HFX posted:

You'll need to do 60-90K just to have a chance at pulling your teammates from their idiocy and even then a win won't be guaranteed.

What is the comfortable range on the New Mexico? I figure since I need to go through ranked, I might as well play it a bit. Unfortunately, it seems like it misses constantly from ~8KM. Shooting a side on Budyonny at 8KM with 3 salvos and only getting 2 hits (1 over open) really ruins my game psyche. Normally, I'd consider getting even closer, but there are a ton of Warspites and Bayerns waiting to out brawl you.

Dort absolutely swears by the New Mexico currently in ranked due to how well it punishes other BBs, especially Fusos and Warspites, while shrugging off tons of damage itself.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I don't think I've ever seen a Dunkq that didn't position themselves in the dumbest ways possible, like every game. It's like there is a checklist:

1) Sit dead still, head on. If you don't have any shots, don't move. This is fine.
2) If the enemy comes close, drive right at them, full speed. Pass them and get shot in the broadside and flank while your guns do nothing.
3) If you fail to accomplish 2, it is absolutely vital you use your agility and speed to get rammed by the enemy battleship you probably could have killed if you weren't a retard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe they're trying to joust but don't really get how to.

It's always hilarious when you successfully joust a dude.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

pokchu posted:

Dort absolutely swears by the New Mexico currently in ranked due to how well it punishes other BBs, especially Fusos and Warspites, while shrugging off tons of damage itself.

It quite literally is the worst BB. Maybe Dunk is worse, but not by a large margin

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

MikeC posted:

It quite literally is the worst BB. Maybe Dunk is worse, but not by a large margin

I also don't see what he sees, but then again I don't have a Flint on 5 different servers like he does.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I like the Bayern for ranked because you're just so much more tanky than other BBs. Bow-on to 30 degree angle and you pretty much take gently caress all for damage, you can't be citadelled, and there arn't enough HE cruisers around to cause you fire problems. I may be a bit bias after going on a 13 game win streak from ranks 9 to 6.3 with one, but the ship seemed practically invincible (except to torps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

pokchu posted:

I also don't see what he sees, but then again I don't have a Flint on 5 different servers like he does.

The question really is whether the New Mexico is that good or is Dort really that good