Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I'm not writing off the entire genre, I remember liking superhero movies when I was a kid, and when I have kids I fully imagine I'll enjoy them again when we watch them as a family (a lot of times they'll throw in little jokes for the grown-ups in the audience, inbetween the CGI "pew pew pew, got you with my laser pew pew pew!" stuff).

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Superhero comic book stuff just doesn't interest me. Maybe if I was somewhere and a bunch of people wanted to see one and it was one of the "really good" ones I'd go and have some fun but I'm never going to chose or go out of my way to see them, just like I wont' chose to watch some stuffy period romance movie but if my wife has it on in the background I might find myself enjoying parts of it and being able to respect it was really well made, but it's just not my genre. I didn't grow up with any exposure to comics or superhero poo poo so they don't trigger any nostalgia either. I don't give a gently caress about action scenes either. Action is only entertaining when I'm invested in the characters and plot, and when those two aspects are trash it doesn't matter how many hundreds of millions were spent on the effects I'm going to be bored to poo poo. It's like the transformers movies, it's just a blur of scrap metal and loud noises. Superhero movies are an overwhelming blur of spandex costumes and quips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The older I get the less I care about superheroes, Black Panther looks cool but some of those Wakanda scenes give me Avatar flashbacks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You legit have a brain fungus if you don't like Lego Batman.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You legit have a brain fungus if you don't like Lego Batman.

I just watched it very recently and can confirm this is true, it was very fun and good. I liked the listing of all the poo poo-tier Batman villains followed up with "...probably worth a Google!"

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

baby driver is an incredibly bad title for a movie. it sounds like it'd be a boss baby spinoff.

oh and ps the best movie of 2017 so far is get out.

I thought that Baby Driver was another RLM review of a classic like Baby's Day Out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Groovelord Neato posted:

baby driver is an incredibly bad title for a movie. it sounds like it'd be a boss baby spinoff.

oh and ps the best movie of 2017 so far is get out.

It was a bad title even when it was the title of a Simon & Garfunkel song that the title of the movie was based on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqUUNHwAl8

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The world is changing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Say what you will about Kong: Skull Island, but it still blew Godzilla out of the water. Christ, that Godzilla movie sucked rear end.

naem
May 29, 2011

reignofevil posted:

The world is changing.

the world is a vanmpire

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shinjobi posted:

Say what you will about Kong: Skull Island, but it still blew Godzilla out of the water. Christ, that Godzilla movie sucked rear end.

Shin Godzilla or Godzilla 2K14?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
obviously not shin godzilla

Kong was waaaayyy loving better than bryan cranston godzilla

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Shinjobi posted:

Kong...blew...Godzilla

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blue Star posted:

Spiderman Homecoming may be pretty good but i still dont feel like seeing it.

Same. Even the best superhero movies feel like a waste of time whenever I watch them.

EDIT: Lego Batman sounds fun though. I like the idea of a full length parody Batman movie.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

If I have not watched the LEGO® Movie, will I understand the Deep Lore of LEGO® Batman™?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There is no continuity between them.

There's actually more references to the Nolan Batman movies than to the Lego movie in Lego Batman

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I saw lego batman and I thought it was great... but honestly if you don't watch it you're not missing much, people are really exaggerating these 2017 superhero movies.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

naem posted:

the world is a vanmpire

Sent to draaiiaaiiaaaan

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just out of Baby Driver

It was... good

Imagine Drive but the main character is a different kind of autistic and that's basically it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
BABY DRIVER.

YOU'VE BEEN DOWN TOO LONG IN THE MIDNIGHT SEA.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Cranston Godzilla is great if you watch it up until Cranston dies then jump to the San Francisco fight scene.

That hour of Kickass trying to carry the movie by himself is loving awful.

Shin Godzilla loving owns.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Bryan Cranston has real charisma and I hope Hollywood doesn't squeeze all his uniqueness out like Jack Nicholson by putting him in everything.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Cranston seems to pick his roles based on what sounds like fun to him.

He's not nearly as saturated as Nicholson who was cast in EVERYTHING after Batman.

Too bad that Anthony Hopkins has reached Michael Caine levels of doing anything for money.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Too bad that Anthony Hopkins has reached Michael Caine levels of doing anything for money.

Yeah, this seems to have become exponential after he took his role in Thor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah, this seems to have become exponential after he took his role in Thor.

But on the plus side, he's loving great in Westworld.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mike's impression of Edgar Wright quick cuts was awesome.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sick of these millennials and all their vulture signalling.

They're always protesting Trump and throwing molotovs at cops.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

But on the plus side, he's loving great in Westworld.

I agree but don't throw Westworld praise around in GBS, the haters will dogpile you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

I agree but don't throw Westworld praise around in GBS, the haters will dogpile you.

I feel like this thread is it's own subforum in a weird way. One where most opinions are relatively sane and most disagreements are mild. It's strange feeling.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

WESTWORLD WAS FINE. I MEAN I WOULDN'T REWATCH IT EVER BUT I GUESS IT WAS OK

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Westworld owns and it's bananas how much talent they pulled.

Has any show ever had that many A-list multi-award-winning high-demand 8 figure per film actors?

Not like shows that get successful and so does the cast (Seinfeld, Friends, Breaking Bad), but like episode 1 season 1 already had mega-talent A-listers.

WampaLord posted:

I feel like this thread is it's own subforum in a weird way. One where most opinions are relatively sane and most disagreements are mild. It's strange feeling.

That's why this thread is basically home base for me. People itt are dramatically less likely to shoot people from a belltower over someone disagreeing with them about some lovely movie.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a bone to pick posted:

obviously not shin godzilla

Kong was waaaayyy loving better than bryan cranston godzilla

Yeah my bad. Shin Godzilla owned bones.

I'm just comparing the two US films.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I saw a few minutes of a few parts of Westworld.

I'd never thought I'd say it but even nudity couldn't win me over!!!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

poo poo I'm having a real hard time deciding whether Kong: Skullfuck Island or Godzilla 2k14 is worse.

They're both horrible in their own distinct flavorful way. I remember getting kind of hyped when Godzilla vomited blue plasma fire down the monster's face hole tho so I guess Kong was worse?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

That's why this thread is basically home base for me. People itt are dramatically less likely to shoot people from a belltower over someone disagreeing with them about some lovely movie.

*ch-chkk*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I love you too, Jay's cum, I mean, Hodor.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
For me, Godzilla 2014 felt insulting.

Every single time we're meant to see Godzilla, who is supposed to be the real hero of the story in terms of the scriptwriting, the camera cuts to kick-rear end or his family which are the worst parts of the movie.
It's like a slap in the face when you see a movie named "Godzilla" and Godzilla is only used as the deus ex machina of the film.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hell Yeah posted:

A hot take!

But really yeah, Westworld was totally fine. I just think it went way, way up its own rear end but I'd expect nothing less from the creator of L O S T. I'm expecting the second season to go so off the rails it just gets loving canceled mid-season.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

For me, Godzilla 2014 felt insulting.

Every single time we're meant to see Godzilla, who is supposed to be the real hero of the story in terms of writing, the camera cuts to kick-rear end or his family which are the worst parts of the movie.
It's like a slap in the face when you see a movie named "Godzilla" and Godzilla is only used as the deus ex machina of the film.

that whole movie loving sucked. boring, awkward, stupid, charmless,ugly pos. lizards dont get that big

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Jay is obviously the mother

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orkin Mang posted:

that whole movie loving sucked. boring, awkward, stupid, charmless,ugly pos. lizards dont get that big
godzilla represents japanese immasculation, its symbolism. irl godzilla is probly like the size of a crocodile but for movies u make it bigger i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Hell Yeah posted:

I LIKED THE PART WITH THE SEX LAIDIES

• Locked thread