Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Really struggling to see how the college football coverage on ABC was dramatically changed by using the ESPN branding. It's the same company and draws from the same pool of talent. Unless you think it's somehow ESPN's fault that Keith Jackson got old and retired I guess

I don't know there just seem to be some noticeable drop in quality. Maybe it's in my head.

Keith retired, yes. That's part of it. Danielson went to CBS to join Verne. While I like Verne quite a bit, it did ruin the awesome tandem he had with Brent Musburger. The Herbstrait/Musburger pairing seemed good on paper, but Musburger began to see a slip in quality around the time Danielson left. Herbstrait is solid with a guy like Rece Davies or Chris Fowler, but the Musburger pairing felt off.

I know this sounds kinda insane, but it felt like the presentation (graphics, music) also fell off. You kinda went from the old "Yellow, Black and Red" ABC scoring bug, ABC's CFB theme to ESPN's really bland branding at the time. Not to mention replacing the aforementioned "going to break" music with lame rear end pop country songs.

It could just be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Akileese posted:

I'd watch/listen to that which means I'm part of the problem and also someone who is really entertained by stupid people. I guess that's why I always found Mike & the Mad Dog funny.

I'd listen to a show that is 4 hours of Christie listening to randos telling him how much he sucks

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

then here's audio of said incident

https://twitter.com/SportsFunhouse/status/884493741737873408

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brad Nessler was always the best part of ABC/ESPN football.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

He hosed up traffic on the west side on purpose for slight petty vengeance. In a just world he would be emasculated, disemboweled, beheaded and quartered

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would be shocked if she didn't end up cohosting that morning thing with Greenie

That seems like a pretty good fit.

Is Greenberg's show just going to be on TV or also radio/podcast format?

Christie is perfect for New York radio.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm thinking of various situations where things for a particular sport were ruined (short or long term) by hooking with a different broadcast partner or when a station changed philosophy. I'm saying this because something clicked in my brain about when I fell in love with football. It was partially because of how GOOD Brent Musburger and Gary Danielson were at calling Purdue games in 2000. ESPN pretty much killed that and has tried to make much of CFB unwatchable.

Note: This is more directed towards a drop in quality, not ratings. So you'll see a few on here that get fantastic ratings, but the coverage is not as good.

-Fox Sports buys up NASCAR from ESPN, Turner Sports, and CBS in 1999.
-ESPN dumps the ABC WWOS/CFB brand in 2005.
-ABC loses the non-rose bowl bcs games in 2006
-ESPN grabs the rights for NASCAR again in 2007 (different quality than the superb coverage it got pre-2000).
-NBC loses the rights to the NBA to ESPN/ABC
-CBS loses the rights to the NFC to Fox
-NBC loses the rights to the AFC to CBS
-ABC no longer doing MNF after 2005.
-MLB leaves ABC/NBC for Fox.
-PTI's creation in 2001, as a result it changes it networks philosophy on covering sports

Am I missing any or any comments? I think this covers it fairly well.

NBA to ABC obviously hurt like half the NBA coverage, BUT it created a vacuum for TNT to feel comfortable really doing their thing and like half the national coverage is better than it ever was at any point, so it's a net positive.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm thinking of various situations where things for a particular sport were ruined (short or long term) by hooking with a different broadcast partner or when a station changed philosophy. I'm saying this because something clicked in my brain about when I fell in love with football. It was partially because of how GOOD Brent Musburger and Gary Danielson were at calling Purdue games in 2000. ESPN pretty much killed that and has tried to make much of CFB unwatchable.

Note: This is more directed towards a drop in quality, not ratings. So you'll see a few on here that get fantastic ratings, but the coverage is not as good.

-Fox Sports buys up NASCAR from ESPN, Turner Sports, and CBS in 1999.
-ESPN dumps the ABC WWOS/CFB brand in 2005.
-ABC loses the non-rose bowl bcs games in 2006
-ESPN grabs the rights for NASCAR again in 2007 (different quality than the superb coverage it got pre-2000).
-NBC loses the rights to the NBA to ESPN/ABC
-CBS loses the rights to the NFC to Fox
-NBC loses the rights to the AFC to CBS
-ABC no longer doing MNF after 2005.
-MLB leaves ABC/NBC for Fox.
-PTI's creation in 2001, as a result it changes it networks philosophy on covering sports

Am I missing any or any comments? I think this covers it fairly well.

Fox did a much better job with the NFL than what CBS was doing. It actually forced CBS to step up their game when they got the AFC.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Fox did a much better job with the NFL than what CBS was doing. It actually forced CBS to step up their game when they got the AFC.

I disagree, I feel the Nantz/Simms combo was pretty awful. The Joe Buck/Troy Aikman commentary also matches it in terms of awfulness. The Fox pre game, half time and post game also marked the creation of those shows becoming chucklefests. The old shows in those formats were cut and dry highlights, interviews with players and the like.

CBS back in the day had Summerall/Madden, Dick Stockton (Red Sox, NBA), Verne, and Vin Scully.

NBC had Dick Enberg (OH MY!), Don Criqui, Charlie Jones, Curt Gowdy (R.I.P.), Marv Albert, Thom Hammond, and Jim Lampley even. (Not to mention future Browns PBP guy in Jim Donovan who is EXCELLENT at his gig)/

Something of note as well. This actually caused some disruption in how the local affliates covered the teams. WJW, and WKYC used to have both packages. They've had guys covering the Browns since the beginning of time. pretty much. When Fox got the NFL contract? WJW switched over, and WOIO picked up the CBS affiliate. WKYC legitimately then got hosed (the aforementioned Jim Donovan WORKS for them) and a result we get WOIO who kinda believes in clickbait journalism covering the team. This is more so a strictly local thing, but I imagine this happened in other markets as well .

The only positive additions that CBS/FOX really got was Kevin Harlan (needs to be the lead voice), and perhaps Kenny Albert.

Rick posted:

NBA to ABC obviously hurt like half the NBA coverage, BUT it created a vacuum for TNT to feel comfortable really doing their thing and like half the national coverage is better than it ever was at any point, so it's a net positive.

Yeah that's the half that's really painful though.

It's kinda hard for them to cover serious playoff moments when Van Gundy and Jackson are treating the game like their own personal podcast. Entire "big" plays are sometimes missed.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

That seems like a pretty good fit.

Is Greenberg's show just going to be on TV or also radio/podcast format?

Just tv as far as I know.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I disagree, I feel the Nantz/Simms combo was pretty awful. The Joe Buck/Troy Aikman commentary also matches it in terms of awfulness. The Fox pre game, half time and post game also marked the creation of those shows becoming chucklefests. The old shows in those formats were cut and dry highlights, interviews with players and the like.

CBS back in the day had Summerall/Madden, Dick Stockton (Red Sox, NBA), Verne, and Vin Scully.

NBC had Dick Enberg (OH MY!), Don Criqui, Charlie Jones, Curt Gowdy (R.I.P.), Marv Albert, Thom Hammond, and Jim Lampley even. (Not to mention future Browns PBP guy in Jim Donovan who is EXCELLENT at his gig)/

Something of note as well. This actually caused some disruption in how the local affliates covered the teams. WJW, and WKYC used to have both packages. They've had guys covering the Browns since the beginning of time. pretty much. When Fox got the NFL contract? WJW switched over, and WOIO picked up the CBS affiliate. WKYC legitimately then got hosed (the aforementioned Jim Donovan WORKS for them) and a result we get WOIO who kinda believes in clickbait journalism covering the team. This is more so a strictly local thing, but I imagine this happened in other markets as well .

The only positive additions that CBS/FOX really got was Kevin Harlan (needs to be the lead voice), and perhaps Kenny Albert.

When the move happened, they got basically everyone who was working at CBS. Madden and Summerall were the main team. I enjoyed the pregame show becoming more about entertainment than boring discussions about which team wanted it more.

The in-game presentation was such a huge upgrade too. They were the first to put the score and down on the screen at all times. They were cutting in with highlights around the league frequently. Their audio was also so far ahead of what anyone else was doing in sports at the time that everyone copied what they were doing (mics on the crowd, mics on the sidelines).

Then again I was a kid and this poo poo was fun. CBS was the old, stodgy network and then Fox came in with cool music, cool graphics, and making football seem like it was fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still prefer Fox to CBS for football.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fox is better now that they have Cutler.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

NFL on Fox gave us a cool intro theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbU4fPYRvcY

CBS had a theme straight out of an 80's variety show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbMj5aW3AY

Also Fox gave us Matt Millen who became comedy gold with the Lions.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Fox is better now that they have Cutler.
And his beautiful rear end

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I love the Fox NFL theme and I love the 'guy is injured' melancholy fox theme.

I think mid to late 90's the Fox coverage was light years ahead of CBS's. And yeah having the scoreboard always visible was huge and I believe Fox was the first network to do the 1st down line too.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
NFL on Fox theme gives me anxiety from it being before 49ers games

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Those are great and all, but 42 years ago ABC brought us jacking it dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5NLMxXTw8

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kalli posted:

Those are great and all, but 42 years ago ABC brought us jacking it dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5NLMxXTw8

we all do it, Doug Stanhope expressed it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3W9Z4bdS8

soggybagel posted:

I love the Fox NFL theme and I love the 'guy is injured' melancholy fox theme.

is it Fox that has the jazzy fun version of their theme for injuries?

Biggest loss in theme history is still NBA on NBC theme (Roundball Rock)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_h7Lm7C9Nk

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Niwrad posted:

NFL on Fox gave us a cool intro theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbU4fPYRvcY

CBS had a theme straight out of an 80's variety show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbMj5aW3AY

Also Fox gave us Matt Millen who became comedy gold with the Lions.

yeah but CBS made up for it with their college football music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXhs9x-7yk

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you can find footage from before Fox, you'll see the difference. Fox put in more cameras and tape machines at each game. They had multiple ones dedicated just to slow motion replays. No one else was doing it that way. I believe they were the first to really use parabolic microphones on the field (I think others used it but they flooded the sidelines with them). They started mic'ing up things like the goalposts so you could hear it clang.

There were so many things Fox did that everyone just copied a year later. Football on TV was really boring before Fox changed a bunch of stuff in the mid-90's.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I really liked the semi-translucent graphics that TBS used during their very few college football games.

That sentence doesn't sound real. TBS...football? It was Big 12 mainly, I think.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

I really liked the semi-translucent graphics that TBS used during their very few college football games.

That sentence doesn't sound real. TBS...football? It was Big 12 mainly, I think.

I could swear they had an occasional bowl game now and then through the late 2000s

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Yeah. I only remember because the really famous Seneca Wallace run was in a TBS game

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
TBS also used to have the NFL, when they split Sunday nights with ESPN.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

the really famous Seneca Wallace run

more like the world-reknowned Michael Wagner block

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

TBS also used to have the NFL, when they split Sunday nights with ESPN.
That was TNT, which also had the US rights to the World Cup way back when.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

There's a lot of networks you'd be surprised had the rights to various events.

The Rose Bowl used to be on NBC until 1988. The Big Ten had a stint during the 80's where they were on CBS. Per the videos I've looked up? It appears that OSU-UM aired on CBS from 82 - '86.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crazy Ted posted:

I remember seeing their magazine ads for the 1990 World Cup because the US was back. And then they sucked rear end and no one here cared until 4 years later when we hosted it.

This was the first World Cup to have an HD broadcast. It's ridiculous how long HDTV has existed for vs. how long it took become available to more than a tiny handful of people. Like, how would you even set that up prior to the early 2000s no matter how much money you had. Even if you paid tens of thousands of dollars for a set, who would deliver the content?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I think which station you like also depends if your favorite team was NFC or AFC from what I've seen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's a lot of networks you'd be surprised had the rights to various events.

The Rose Bowl used to be on NBC until 1988. The Big Ten had a stint during the 80's where they were on CBS. Per the videos I've looked up? It appears that OSU-UM aired on CBS from 82 - '86.

They weren't conference specific back then, the NCAA negotiated it collectively. it wasn't like now where literally every game is on TV somewhere. There was like one or two games a week on national TV and for obvious reason it happened to be that one fairly often. Conferences couldn't negotiate their own TV deals with networks until after a Supreme Court case in the mid to late 80s

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 11, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The worst thing Fox ever did was use their lovely NFL theme for everything. I miss these 2 Fox themes:

College football
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oufx_tdJ19E

MLB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6__Xr3ouAI

The MLB one is more nostalgia from watching Reds games on Fox Sports Ohio back when I lived in Cincinnati, but the CFB theme is legitimately great in its own right and its a shame that it got eliminated before Fox really started broadcasting CFB on a regular basis with the rise of FS1 & FS2. Although I guess it maybe got used during that period when Fox had the BCS games?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

EvanTH posted:

In a just world he would be emasculated, disemboweled, beheaded and quartered

You can check the first one off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmki46P1JBY

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ramadu posted:

I think which station you like also depends if your favorite team was NFC or AFC from what I've seen

WKYC and WJW were/are solid as hell covering the Browns really.

WKYC had them from 1970 until 1995. WJW aired the last Cleveland Browns title in '64. WOIO/WUAB were mainly good at covering the Indians, Cavs. They had the rights to them pre-sportschanne/fox sports ohio/sports time ohio. (If you watch Jordan's "The Shot", you'll see ads for WOIO on the scorers table. If you watch some of the old Browns NFL Films you'll see WUAB representing the Indians.)

MourningView posted:

They weren't conference specific back then, the NCAA negotiated it collectively. it wasn't like now where literally every game is on TV somewhere. There was like one or two games a week on national TV and for obvious reason it happened to be that one fairly often. Conferences couldn't negotiate their own TV deals with networks until after a Supreme Court case in the mid to late 80s

Yeah that era was really unusual. I have an old Browns MNF were they discuss how one of the games that could be shown via ABC was "Miami (OH) v. Northern Illinois" I believe this was actually over teams likes Florida State, Penn State.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

WKYC and WJW were/are solid as hell covering the Browns really.

WKYC had them from 1970 until 1995. WJW aired the last Cleveland Browns title in '64. WOIO/WUAB were mainly good at covering the Indians, Cavs. They had the rights to them pre-sportschanne/fox sports ohio/sports time ohio. (If you watch Jordan's "The Shot", you'll see ads for WOIO on the scorers table. If you watch some of the old Browns NFL Films you'll see WUAB representing the Indians.)

Yeah that era was really unusual. I have an old Browns MNF were they discuss how one of the games that could be shown via ABC was "Miami (OH) v. Northern Illinois" I believe this was actually over teams likes Florida State, Penn State.

You were actually right, the Supreme Court case I was talking about was in 84 and after that CBS did have Big Ten and PAC-10 rights for a few years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joe Buck got fukkn baked in Cabo a few years ago

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

You were actually right, the Supreme Court case I was talking about was in 84 and after that CBS did have Big Ten and PAC-10 rights for a few years.

I found this out via googling a few old Purdue and Ohio State games during that era. I'm sure you've seen the '85 Iowa-UM game? that's a CBS game of all things.

I think ABC had the Big 8 (12), SEC., I'm not quite sure whom had the "Eastern Independents" (Miami, Penn State, Pitt, Notre Dame) during that era.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

That interview was hilarious. I don't know if he's genuinely relaxing a bit or if this is a calculated effort to improve his PR, but it's working on me either way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anals of History posted:

That interview was hilarious. I don't know if he's genuinely relaxing a bit or if this is a calculated effort to improve his PR, but it's working on me either way.

I think Joe is a lot more chill than some of his on-air persona would indicate. He seemed to loosen up quite a bit in the World Series when he didn't have someone as awful as Troy Aikman weighing him down, and I think he's finally clear of any real or perceived pressure to live up to his father.

Home Run Derby ratings were waaaay up from last year

quote:

With New York Yankees rookie Aaron Judge making a big dent on the 2017 Home Run Derby, the overnight rating for the event was its highest in eight years. The Derby registered a 5.5 overnight rating up an astounding 38% from the year before, peaking with a 6.2 number in the 9:15-9:30 p.m. ET quarter-hour.
As far as online streaming was concerned, it was the most streamed MLB event on an ESPN platform. The average minute audience was 209,000 viewers. It generated 680,000 unique viewers and a total of almost 27.5 million minutes streamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mark Schlereth is leaving ESPN for FS1

You can tell this is important, earth-shattering news given that literally nobody in the thread mentioned it till now.