Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

homeless snail posted:

This has been going around lately on PS4 rip, they're "investigating"

Brb going to spend the 15 hours it takes me to update FF14 by breaking my knuckles punching my walls. Can't wait for my power to pop mid update. Because my UPS has decided my PC is worth protecting but my PS4 isn't. Even though just a week ago I was able to update this game THROUGH a bunch of power outages.

Edit: Oh great, already got another error.

quote:

Unable to download patch files. [20512][25008]

Ularg fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've never tanked before. How do I Dark Knight?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the healers are all fine right now, play what you like

WHM has the best mana efficiency, the biggest heals, and the highest personal dps, all of which may or may not make up for the complete absence of utility.
SCH has a gigantic toolbox of mitigation and free healing oGCDs between itself and the fairy, which come at the cost of underwhelming healing GCDs that run you dry if you/your cohealer are bad.
AST has Expanded Balance.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mordiceius posted:

I've never tanked before. How do I Dark Knight?

Spam that black aoe thing. Use abilities that look “kewl” and never under any circumstance use a defensive cooldown. You might need it later.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I know it was two pages back but the woman on the Adders recruitment poster is Nophica, The Matron. :goonsay:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Intoluene posted:

I know it was two pages back but the woman on the Adders recruitment poster is Nophica, The Matron. :goonsay:

who what now

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Intoluene posted:

Sounds like a primal lets kill her

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Replying late but Scholar even feels great in dungeons minus your aoe damage. AST and WHM have neat tricks to stack hots or use bene and all that, whereas SCH can use Whispering Dawn / Excog / Rouse / Lustrate to never have to cast a heal. It all feels fine, it's just that the dps numbers are off for the moment.

In 8 man I'd much rather play Scholar than the others right now.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Spam that black aoe thing. Use abilities that look “kewl” and never under any circumstance use a defensive cooldown. You might need it later.

:yeah:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

After this weekend I'm happy to report that MCH is fun and cool and good to play at 70 :shobon:

That's great to hear. What's a Wildfire rotation look like now, and how did you survive until 62?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Reiterpallasch posted:

the healers are all fine right now, play what you like

WHM has the best mana efficiency, the biggest heals, and the highest personal dps, all of which may or may not make up for the complete absence of utility.
SCH has a gigantic toolbox of mitigation and free healing oGCDs between itself and the fairy, which come at the cost of underwhelming healing GCDs that run you dry if you/your cohealer are bad.
AST has Expanded Balance.

AST actually has more cards now that you can't click off sub-optimal RR effects. Play the hand you're dealt (Except Spear through that in minor arcana that poo poo's next to useless.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's great to hear. What's a Wildfire rotation look like now, and how did you survive until 62?

I'm still refining how I wildfire especially WRT using Flamethrower, but the best results seem generally as follows-

On pull you hot shot, hypercharge, stabilize, reload, split, slug, split, rapidfire, wildfire, burn oGCDs while doing clean, QR, slug, reassemble, clean, then return to normal rotation. Don't overheat. Use reassemble on procced heated clean at best, heated cooldown or heated slug at worst.

Before the next wildfire at 1 minute you should reload and split, slug, split to set up your procs and do as above without the hypercharge. again, don't overheat.

The minute 2 wildfire (and every 2 minutes after that) is the money shot. Shortly before wildfire comes up, get to 90/95 heat, hypercharge, reload, split/slug/split, rapid fire, reassemble, then Flamethrower for a tick to overheat. Wildfire, clean/slug/clean/cooldown/cooldown while dumping oGCDs. As soon as you can, put barrel back on, stabilizer, and resume.

Then you do the one minute wildfire, then the two, etc. repeat ad nauseum. Remember during all of these to QR after the first clean and before the slug so you get a 2nd clean.

If you gently caress up and overheat without stabilizer, use flamethrower to get back up to 50, then use something else to overheat for your 2 minute wildfire if its down. Hot shot or something I guess. If you gently caress-up overheat and DON'T have flamethrower or stabilizer, tough loving titties, work your way up with the normal rotation, it doesn't seem to be worth spamming hot/spread shot to heat quickly.

As for surviving to 62, I just put on Gauss Barrel whenever it comes off due to overheating and ignore the mechanic entirely otherwise. (In fact, if I'm in spoopyboat dungeon and synced to 62 I'll deliberately always overheat if no wildfires are coming up, and just spam cooldown during the overheat if I don't have any shots procced, heated cooldown hits pretty hard)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I'm a shiny purple and I love it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Intoluene posted:

Sounds like I picked right 4 years ago

FillInTheBlank posted:

lookin good. meanwhile i realized i love this popped collar and mixing red/blue goes really well with this rapier

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

AST actually has more cards now that you can't click off sub-optimal RR effects. Play the hand you're dealt (Except Spear through that in minor arcana that poo poo's next to useless.)

I don't really follow this. If anything, I've found Royal Road being something you can't remove means you're pinholed into being the Balance bitch more than before. I mean, you can overwrite a RR effect, so if you get one you don't like in Sleeve Draw, you can just overwrite it later; nothing gained nothing lost. The cooldown on Minor Arcana is so short that there's no reason not to put cards in there that aren't Balance (I guess Arrow is okay too).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A question that has just occurred to me: Can you expand/extend/enhance Lord/Lady?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

no

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
So if I'm reading things correctly, if I'm playing on Balmung and a friend wants to try the game and join me, we're hosed right? There's no way he can come with me or me joining him without leaving balmung?

(Aside from cross world instances and what not)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, sleeve draw will put something in your held slot, so if you sleeve draw immediately after casting a expanded balance, you'll usually be given a card that isn't balance to play. which is nice, the other cards were getting lonely. i'll sometimes use an empowered/extended bole on the tank, or ewer on myself, if sleeve draw deals me the relevant cards too.

e: i don't main ast though

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The answer to that is actually to not use sleeve draw until you fill your held slot with something you plan on using.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Does any job besides monk, ninja, or casters actually care about Arrows? Because I usually just throw one on myself if I'm unsure but I don't wanna be the rear end in a top hat costing the rando dragoon his deeps.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

which hat is that?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Umbreon posted:

So if I'm reading things correctly, if I'm playing on Balmung and a friend wants to try the game and join me, we're hosed right? There's no way he can come with me or me joining him without leaving balmung?

(Aside from cross world instances and what not)

yup!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

UHD posted:

Does any job besides monk, ninja, or casters actually care about Arrows? Because I usually just throw one on myself if I'm unsure but I don't wanna be the rear end in a top hat costing the rando dragoon his deeps.

Arrow is the skill speed one, right? As a dragoon I won't even notice it's on me. My (one) dot will clip slightly more than usual but you won't empty me of tp or anything

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Arrow is the skill speed one, right? As a dragoon I won't even notice it's on me. My (one) dot will clip slightly more than usual but you won't empty me of tp or anything

Yeah that's the one. My understanding was that bard, machinist, and dragoon don't give a poo poo, but that was in HW; I had no idea if Stormblood changed the math or if samurai would benefit.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think they made all the tp rotations cheaper that jobs won't run out of TP in normal gameplay, so arrow is just a lesser balance in most situations. If you can't find balance, you might as well arrow it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Think SAM would benefit since more haste = more combos = more Kenki and Midare. Only time I see it being an issue is in AoE, but it would either need to be an exceptionally long AoE phase and/or bad timing with Invig already on cooldown.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm trying to get back into the game after a year or two of not playing. Are there any goon companies (or goons in general) on Gilgamesh?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
With goads and invigs all over the place I really can't imagine running out of tp unless you're aoeing like thirty times

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Well gently caress me sideways. Thanks for the confirmation.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The eikonic cloth healer gloves cover up the arms of the regular allagan healer top and they look pretty great, buuut they have one big flaw

They have these terrible textured and colored gloves that look like wrinkly grandma claws :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Umbreon posted:

Well gently caress me sideways. Thanks for the confirmation.

Why the gently caress are you playing on Balmung?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Xun posted:

who what now

Nophica is one of The Twelve like Rhalgr. Except stupid like Gridania instead of barren like Ala Mhigo.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Apologies in advance if this is in the OP (I looked) but is this game suitable for a solo that just wants to do an hour a night and see the narrative? Never going to raid, have high end gear, meet on a specific schedule etc. Neet a new game and maybe an MMO will bring back that "this is so big and unknown" feeling MUD's and EQ1 gave me

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

UHD posted:

Arrow is also very good for MCH to get extra stuff in during wildfire, and it is certainly better than nothing on a BRD. The only real concern with using on Arrow on some classes was TP management. I think that is a lot better in Stormblood in general now?

Unless resource management is a concern arrow is always a DPS increase and there really is not reason not to use it. It might not be as good as a Balance but if you get one you might as well use it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

King Bahamut posted:

Apologies in advance if this is in the OP (I looked) but is this game suitable for a solo that just wants to do an hour a night and see the narrative? Never going to raid, have high end gear, meet on a specific schedule etc. Neet a new game and maybe an MMO will bring back that "this is so big and unknown" feeling MUD's and EQ1 gave me

Yes, but SWTOR or TSW probably are better for that than the ARR story of FFXIV.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

King Bahamut posted:

Check out Elder Scrolls Online.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Bahamut posted:

You'll have to partner up eventually but the game has a built-in system that allows for it relatively easily.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Thanks for the arrow tips, ya'll. I'll start slinging them around more instead of hoarding them for myself.

Unless I really hate my MP and want to gravity more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Thanks for the arrow tips, ya'll. I'll start slinging them around more instead of hoarding them for myself.

Unless I really hate my MP and want to gravity more.

Why would you ever want to gravity less?