Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Christ it's sad to think about but Jurassic Park: Trespasser was basically a VR game that ran on your desktop and didn't have the power, resources or control method that it needed to accomplish its design goals.

It's nice that Die By The Sword got a spiritual sequel in GORN though, right down to bashing someone to death with their own severed limb using your own wacky physical flailing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you want a good VR space game, check out House of the Dying Sun. Or Sublevel Zero if you like Descent

Sublevel Zero is a bit queasy though, might be hard on someone that's just startting out.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 11, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Man, I was extremely uninterested by War Thunder's flight, and no one plays the semi-realistic tank mode in that game.

That's disappointing news over EVE Valkyrie, then. I guess I should order off of the Oculus store, then? They won't charge tax, and I think that's the cheapest I'm going to get...

Did you play in the sim modes? Also lots of people play tanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are the tanks worth it in VR? I thought they were just in third person plus sometimes you can look through the gun sight.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did you play in the sim modes? Also lots of people play tanks.

Everyone plays the arcade tanks with automatic ranging and whatnot. There's a middle ground mode between that and sim that I really enjoyed but wasn't populated at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Everyone plays the arcade tanks with automatic ranging and whatnot. There's a middle ground mode between that and sim that I really enjoyed but wasn't populated at all.

That was similar to my problem with the planes. I kind of wish there was a mode where it still had indicators like in arcade, but required flying in cockpit view. I'm not good enough to play at the more realistic difficulties and there's no point in flying with a joystick or anything in VR in any of the lower ones since people can just play in third person with a mouse.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The arm-swingy movement in GORN is going to take me a little bit of getting used to.. which is a shame, because other than that it'd be a great show-offy game to throw people into. It'll be perfect for the VRcades of the future with 10m*10m arenas.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Songbearer posted:

Christ it's sad to think about but Jurassic Park: Trespasser was basically a VR game that ran on your desktop and didn't have the power, resources or control method that it needed to accomplish its design goals.

I've been saying this since the first time I tried Job Sim. JP Trespasser NEEDS a VR port.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Chadzok posted:

The arm-swingy movement in GORN is going to take me a little bit of getting used to.. which is a shame, because other than that it'd be a great show-offy game to throw people into. It'll be perfect for the VRcades of the future with 10m*10m arenas.

I asked the dev a while ago, arm swinging movement is by design so you can't just evade everyone with no effort.

Turns out it'll launch fine even if your space is smaller than 2x2m, so I tried it last night and holy gently caress is it an improvement. So much polish, more visceral injuries. Gonna have to gift a copy to someone just so I can give him dosh

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wow, this thread exploded overnight.

JazzFlight posted:

I know there's the main fight between Vive and Oculus, but do you really feel like a second-class citizen with Oculus + Touch on Steam? Have developers (who don't have exclusivity deals) been rather good about supporting both?

Its not that anything feels like a second-class citizen using a rift with steamVR, everything I've played has just worked without any issue, but more that the experiences themselves often feel a step down compared to most oculus native designed games that gives off a negative impression in a lot of cases. I'm not trying to speak negatively about indie games not having the graphical fidelity of a 10 million dollar product from Epic games like Robo Recall, I wouldn't expect that at all. Its more that, you get used to experiences built for the rift almost universally giving you your hands with gestures, the grip button for grabbing stuff, and things that fall from your hands when you stop 'gripping' them as opposed to sticking to you. So when you just see floating sticks in front of you, items that you have to use your index trigger to pick up, and then they just stick to you, or replace your stick until you press another button to release it, it feels very janky and second rate.

I'm not knocking these developers, I know why they've designed it that way for the vive wants, and the biggest complaint usually of running things with revive is those problems in reverse, not having the physical buttons on top, having to hold down a button to grab stuff that wasn't intended for that purpose, etc. Hopefully the Knuckles will become standard and those vive wand specific necessities will start disappearing from a lot of steamVR titles, its just, in the meantime though, a lot of the games feel a bit second class mechanically.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Correnth posted:

Again, thank you for the upload - If you end up playing again at some point and have any further feedback, please feel free to let me/us know. =D

I'll definitely play it some more, I like it but haven't really had time for VR in the last few days. Glad you guys found the video useful.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
My biggest beef with games on Steam is that they generally are made with the Vive in mind so the controls don't make sense when you have Touch. In Gorn, they use the triggers to pick up and hold weapons because the Vive grip buttons suck to hold down, but when that translates to Oculus it feels wrong and bad.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DrBox posted:

My biggest beef with games on Steam is that they generally are made with the Vive in mind so the controls don't make sense when you have Touch. In Gorn, they use the triggers to pick up and hold weapons because the Vive grip buttons suck to hold down, but when that translates to Oculus it feels wrong and bad.
Is there no separate custom button remap program or innate support built into Steam?
Talk about an oversight.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

JazzFlight posted:

Is there no separate custom button remap program or innate support built into Steam?
Talk about an oversight.

Not that I can see, but it would be nice. Maybe set a profile per-game or something.

Edit: Not just a problem in Steam though. Games like Echo Arena could use remapping. I don't like to click down the sticks, so why can't I use A and X for boosts? I don't think they do anything. Maybe it'll be a "interact" button in the single player.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 11, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Honestly it would just be nice to see VR games have any control remapping. The only ones I can think of are 2d games with VR modes.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Odd, Realistic Battles is one of the most popular modes in war thunder. Though, depending on what era you play some of the waiting time can be that it's too popular. By which I mean, if one tank/nation is the flavor of the week or seemed op all pubbies will flock to it which screws up matchmaking as it needs players to match. Especially after a recent large patch drops adding new stuff.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-explains-why-vr-exclusives-are-the-right-way-of-doing-things/

In which Oculus literally says "we're just like PSVR and people don't get mad at them' unironically.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have found my calling: punching everybody in Echo Arena. I am really good at it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So $399 for Rift + Touch is pretty impressive. Are you an Amazon Prime member? Yes? Well, how about a $100 Amazon gift card on top of that

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-...ift%2BCard&th=1

Ends in 24 hours!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Poetic Justice posted:

So $399 for Rift + Touch is pretty impressive. Are you an Amazon Prime member? Yes? Well, how about a $100 Amazon gift card on top of that

Ends in 24 hours!

Just wow. That $100 can go towards a 3rd sensor, a PCIe USB card, and some 6 foot HDMI and USB3 extension cables. That is the full room scale setup.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This is getting into dangerous "hmm do I want to get a second headset?" price territory now

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Poetic Justice posted:

Ends in 24 hours!

loving gently caress I just installed the lightouses on my walls this weekend aaaaaa

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Sure it's a good deal, but does Oculus Rift even post in the Retro Games forum thread?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nalin posted:

Just wow. That $100 can go towards a 3rd sensor, a PCIe USB card, and some 6 foot HDMI and USB3 extension cables. That is the full room scale setup.

Dang, you're not even exaggerating:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1UGJ8W1VBVAE9&colid=2S4QOJIOVDNDV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045532LU/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3LT5AI7DN1KQH&colid=2S4QOJIOVDNDV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7S2FRE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IJX453U7OPXY1&colid=2S4QOJIOVDNDV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727WDPX6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2OOUMWTJITPYD&colid=2S4QOJIOVDNDV

$100.13, and thats if you even need the USB card anyways. That same setup has my whole VR room, from head to toe tracked perfectly, I can't believe what a crazy deal that is. Even at the $400 sale price alone its cheaper than a PSVR/move bundle. Madness, pure madness.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Zuckerberg will be president even if he has to buy every man woman and child a VR headset and he can only be the VR president

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jesus, thinking about this more, This doofy premade VR ready PC is $640, use the 100 dollar gift card, and combined with the rift+touch you'd have a complete VR setup from scratch for $940 bucks.

PS4 non pro is $299, PSVR+move+camera bundle is $499 for a total of $800. That means the cost from scratch to get a PC VR setup is only $140 bucks over a PSVR setup.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Anyone go to theWaveVR's Wed night events? Quite looking forward to it, I've done the pre-recorded one a couple of times and even just chilling out in the lobby with randoms has been one of the coolest experiences on the Vive so far.

I'm in Australia btw, so the region lock thing they've got going on is not a big deal to work around. It just doesn't appear in certain steam store regions. Once you've got it installed there's no problems at all.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

Ends in 24 hours!

:stonk:

Ordered.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I also jumped in on the Amazon Rift + Touch + $100 GC for $399 deal. I just wonder how much more prices will drop...

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI it looks like the Unspoken is free, I'd jump on it if you're not boycotting the Oculus store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1070597869619581/

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
That amazon deal is showing up for $499 for me

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

That Prime deal is no longer displaying a price at all. They're still carrying the bundle itself, and it's not like Amazon can run out of gift cards. Hope it comes back so I can jump on it. :ohdear:

Edit: I literally just see a dollar sign, haha.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Holy poo poo the Oculus price drop really seems to have motivated buyers. I hope it'll be enough to convince the market that VR isn't a fad.

I think anyone who gets the opportunity to try it is convinced it's a game-changer, and that subsequent generations will really show what the medium can deliver. The initial hardware pricing put it completely out of reach for most people though...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Poetic Justice posted:

Ends in 24 hours!

Just ordered. Thanks for the link!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sorry to post again in quick succession, but the deal came back and I jumped on it.

The HMD won't ship for 3-5 days and the Touch for 7-10, but an effective $300 is pretty reasonable, as far as expensive toys go.

I look forward to punching my walls with all of you. :toot:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Probably want to eat up more of the market before the MS VR stuff comes out. I wonder if they got their hands on it and are scared at how "good enough" it is as to eat away the lower end of the PC market. Or maybe it's actually good. We'll have to wait and see.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

As a VIve owner I really hope this Oculus sale will add plenty of new headsets into the VR ecosystem. I really don't want VR to fizzle out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stick100 posted:

FYI it looks like the Unspoken is free, I'd jump on it if you're not boycotting the Oculus store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1070597869619581/

Is it actually free or are they just having their free weekend right now? If they just shrugged their shoulders and made it totally free thats awesome. It was a cool game, and while I didn't get a lot out of it because i prefer team stuff instead of 1v1 things (never liked fighting games), its mechanics and presentation were top notch and incredibly fun.

TomR posted:

Probably want to eat up more of the market before the MS VR stuff comes out. I wonder if they got their hands on it and are scared at how "good enough" it is as to eat away the lower end of the PC market. Or maybe it's actually good. We'll have to wait and see.

Microsoft is first out the gate with 2 of the most important features for consumers:
1) It's launching at $400 with controllers (hmmm sort of like the oculus sale price...)
2) you don't have to mount dork poo poo on your walls to walk around and explore vr.

Every tracking method that isn't inside out is a dead end for the public. You couldn't even get people to install surround sound systems for the last 30 years because people are too lazy to mount speakers. People hate that stuff, and mounting nerd boxes? Right out. If oculus gen 2 has a camera at all, its only job is going to be doing full body skeletal tracking, and maybe reinforcing the inside out positioning (if thats even needed).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Camera tracking is getting pretty crazy. Able to track through several rooms and only be a few inches off when it gets back to the start point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Camera tracking is getting pretty crazy. Able to track through several rooms and only be a few inches off when it gets back to the start point.

This sounds interesting