Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just discovered the existence of Scorn, which is apparently coming soon. I like the incredibly alien designs, heavily influenced by Giger and Beksinski, it's all very off-putting and, well... alien?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlBtP3-x_w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That looks disgusting :stonk: Fascinating too but jeeeez

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm morbidly interested in Scorn and Agony. They're at least going for something far off from the normal Spooky Asylum or Bad Ship.

Also, goon who reviewed Syndrome: could you give the thumbnail sketch on the plot?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogart posted:

I'm morbidly interested in Scorn and Agony. They're at least going for something far off from the normal Spooky Asylum or Bad Ship.

This is my interest in both, basically. Even if the gameplay kinda sucks the art style will be enough for me to want to play through them. Neither look like any other game I've played.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Bogart posted:

Also, goon who reviewed Syndrome: could you give the thumbnail sketch on the plot?

Agony released a demo to Kickstarter backers which is all over YouTube if you want more of a look at it. Personally I just found it too edgy and trying too hard to be gross that it just seemed comical.

Scorn at least seems more grotesque and abstract in a Beksinski style so is still on my radar though.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Does Scorn have a plot out yet? Weirdly I'm getting strong Soul Reaver vibes out of it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

I just discovered the existence of Scorn, which is apparently coming soon. I like the incredibly alien designs, heavily influenced by Giger and Beksinski, it's all very off-putting and, well... alien?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlBtP3-x_w

Shiiit that's creepy as gently caress. Definitely looking forward to this.

Also, Observer by the Layers of Fear devs is looking pretty cool to me, they holding to Summer 2017 so far so hopefully it'll be out soon.

https://youtu.be/9AC4cEZeEwo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Scorn looks interesting, but Agony is just trying way too hard.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What was that game in development where the guy is running through a ww1 esque trench and some gangly monster comes at him at the end?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RentACop posted:

What was that game in development where the guy is running through a ww1 esque trench and some gangly monster comes at him at the end?

Obviously you are thinking of that gaming classic, Necrovision.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I can't understand the point of a game like Scorn. It's basically a Rick & Morty one-off joke ("everything's a croenenberg in this world!!") played completely straight. Giger/Croenenberg stuff is horrifying because it contrasts with the actual real world. A diseased and perverted body is scary because it contrasts with a healthy body, the alien is scary because it's so different from the pale weak humans, etc. If everything on this planet is a creepy flesh monstrosity, then what exactly am I being scared of? "Alien" would have lost a lot of its power if its titular horror was just slaughtering other gross aliens on a gross alien ship.

And even if you find the FLESH WORLD stuff inherently scary just on a visual level, certainly you'll be oversaturated with an entire game of it? Feels like way too much to sustain anything more than a couple hours of interest.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 11, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

the black husserl posted:

I can't understand the point of a game like Scorn. It's basically a Rick & Morty one-off joke ("everything's a croenenberg in this world!!") played completely straight. Giger/Croenenberg stuff is horrifying because it contrasts with the actual real world. A diseased and perverted body is scary because it contrasts with a healthy body, the alien is scary because it's so different from the pale weak humans, etc. If everything on this planet is a creepy flesh monstrosity, then what exactly am I being scared of? "Alien" would have lost a lot of its power if its titular horror was just slaughtering other gross aliens on a gross alien ship.

And even if you find the FLESH WORLD stuff inherently scary just on a visual level, certainly you'll be oversaturated with an entire game of it? Feels like way too much to sustain anything more than a couple hours of interest.

That's how I feel, and also why I really enjoyed the first Prey. It constantly juxtaposes stuff we're familiar with with the alien technology that just twists everything like a roving disease. I haven't played new Prey but I always thought the best evolution of the series would've been for the aliens to settle on earth like District 9, another movie that beautifully weaves humanity with gross biological poo poo that ends up being more sympathetic than the humans.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Certainly you'll be oversaturated with an entire game of it?

Outlast.txt

After the fiftieth skinless person trussed up in a bramble cage and third burned mass grave it all gets very routine.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

NecrovisioN is a classic of Polish eurojank, you philistines.

RentACop posted:

Ah, had that trailer bookmarked! It's for a game called Ad Infinitum. Still in development it seems, but progress is apparently being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eprVKIH4Xxs

There was also 1916: Der Unbekannte Krieg, but that was just an old student project that was promised to become a full game but never appeared. Anyway, that one had Braquean dromaeosaurs as the main monster.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of why it worked in Silent Hill was that you went back to a rundown but 'normal'-ish world that was just foggy and spooky in between the rusty chainlink blood soaked industrial hellscapes.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Part of why it worked in Silent Hill was that you went back to a rundown but 'normal'-ish world that was just foggy and spooky in between the rusty chainlink blood soaked industrial hellscapes.

I mean, we could list examples all day long because literally every other creative work that deals with Horror knows that you need to juxtapose it with some degree of normalcy/humanity.

Scorn and Agony are the first examples of longform creative work in any medium I've ever seen that doesn't acknowledge this basic fact. That's why I say it's like Rick & Morty, it really does feel like a joke.

If the idea is just to go for "weird inhuman world" then I think Icepick Lodge stuff like The Void did it way better than what I've seen of Scorn. Who knows though, maybe Scorn has something really compelling up its sleeve. Agony is confirmed total garbage though, doesn't give me much hope.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't either game will work well as horror games that keep you at the edge of your seat, and actually scare you like a Silent Hill or Alien: Isolation. But both of their art styles are neat (especially Scorn) and Agony's got the whole "trashy metal band cover art" thing going that's baller. Its over the top tasteless poo poo, I just hope the gameplay holds up and is actually fun because the demo was meh.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does scorn even have anything going for it other than that trailer that came out years ago

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Johnny Joestar posted:

does scorn even have anything going for it other than that trailer that came out years ago

Nope, they've been super silent and haven't really shown anything else.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Bogart posted:

You wake up in a cyro-pod and find the ship dark. You're first contacted by the leader of a squad of marines on the ship, then another crew member, basically both telling you that an artifact was brought aboard the ship and everyone went nuts. They both tell you not to trust anyone else. The crew member sends you on a few missions to restore ship functions, while marine leader pops in now and then. You find datapads along the way relating crew member reactions, and eventually start running into human-machine hybrids. Eventually marine leader asks you to come to the communication room, which is actually an ambush by an automated turret, because she's worried you're infected too. Crew member pops in and says he's in a cargo hold while marines are cutting through the wall from another cargo hold, begging you to flush the other cargo hold to save him. You do so. Ship repairs continue for a little bit, until crew member suddenly betrays you and it turns out the crew member is actually the artifact that plucked off a human's head and used it as a puppet. All the repairs were to get the ship moving again so it could travel to a populated planet and convert the population into more of its drones. You head back to the cargo hold and find it wasn't in there after all, but there is an ambush.

At that point, you get contacted by the leader of the marines and she helps you find out where the artifact is actually hiding, and you make your way back through the ship and destroy the artifact proper. Turns out it managed to integrate itself too tightly with the ship's systems, so you make your way to a shuttle. It taunts you with the fact it controls the shuttle bay doors. You activate the shuttle's weapon systems and fire directly into the ship itself.

There was some weird revelation where it turned out you weren't an engineer but some short-fuse soldier and the artifact manipulated you, but it didn't make much sense.

Additional mentions: a scene where you have to cut a dude's eye out for an optical scanner is played with the appropriate level of "what the gently caress" on the player character's part, and then they one-up it up with having to cut off a dude's whole fuckin' head for a facial scanner. The first was a little "ewww" but the second was hilarious just because of the one-upping.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

It's a wholly commercial and cynical thing. You don't have to grind out a new look and it's easy promotion, everyone on blogs and comments sections will rush to name drop the artists you ripped off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Obviously you are thinking of that gaming classic, Necrovision.
Necrovision owned, it got really fun when you got the vampire gauntlet and could use magic spells and melee and weird weapons. It had a really cool mechanic where the more Bulletstorm-style kill chains you racked up, time started slowing down and you started doing more damage, causing crazy explosions and setting stuff on fire. Also it ended with you flying a dragon into hell to jump into a mech suit and kill Satan and I don't think it was even pretending to justify why at that point.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

loga mira posted:

It's a wholly commercial and cynical thing. You don't have to grind out a new look and it's easy promotion, everyone on blogs and comments sections will rush to name drop the artists you ripped off.

Isn't this being cynical?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Lol there's like one trailer afaik, where are you getting all these details

Please show me the new trailers that show you the game enough for you to reduce it to "It's like a one-off Rick and Morty joke played completely straight" without that being a borderline nonsense comparison(it's based on Giger, not Cronenberg, even)

Like, what if part of it is on earth? The main dude gets called an astronaut in a few interviews and previews, maybe he's human and that thirty seconds of gameplay isn't literally the entire game

Yes, it's probably gonna suck when/if it gets released but jfc make fun of stuff that's actually there

Agony, however, is going to need to do a LOT to come back from the infinite stupidity of the wall made with dead babies as cement. Really, between Agony and Outlast 2 I'm completely desensitized to dead babies.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 11, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
What if, like, it's actually a train simulator and everything in the trailer is just a gamestop preorder dlc where all the trains are croenenbergs!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait. Are we rehashing RE7 again? The trailer/demo is this style so the entire game is as well?

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Isn't this being cynical?

You think it's cynical to suggest that whoever is in charge of things may say to the artists "Make it look like Giger and that Polish guy"?

They don't even have to work hard to come up with something novel looking, just go to slightly less known makers of macabre art for your inspirations. I mean look at SH2, you have to at least admire the variety of sources they borrowed from, from Bellmer to that English guy who made sculptures of people with heads shaped like cubes and prisms.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

loga mira posted:

You think it's cynical to suggest that whoever is in charge of things may say to the artists "Make it look like Giger and that Polish guy"?

They don't even have to work hard to come up with something novel looking, just go to slightly less known makers of macabre art for your inspirations. I mean look at SH2, you have to at least admire the variety of sources they borrowed from, from Bellmer to that English guy who made sculptures of people with heads shaped like cubes and prisms.

That's kinda the premise. That's the selling point. They're making a horror game set in the worlds of Giger and "that polish guy", nobody's rushing to name artists who got "ripped off" because the game is directly based on this art. It's why, when Alien: Isolation came out, people weren't calling them out for ripping off Ridley Scott.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Jukebox Hero posted:

Lol there's like one trailer afaik, where are you getting all these details

Please show me the new trailers that show you the game enough for you to reduce it to "It's like a one-off Rick and Morty joke played completely straight" without that being a borderline nonsense comparison(it's based on Giger, not Cronenberg, even)

Uh, that FLESH GUN is totally ripped from eXistenZ, which was directed by...David Cronenberg. Scorn is clearly influenced by his work on a lot of levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Honestly after how poo poo inner chains is I'm not looking that much forward to these games

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is Scorn even supposed to be a "horror" game? The very short teaser trailer made it look like a standard FPS but with gross body horror everywhere.

I'm totally fine with another DOOM-like that's totally in an abstract nightmare fleshscape as long as it's a good game. If it has neat visuals on top of that then that's great too!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

That's kinda the premise. That's the selling point. They're making a horror game set in the worlds of Giger and "that polish guy", nobody's rushing to name artists who got "ripped off" because the game is directly based on this art. It's why, when Alien: Isolation came out, people weren't calling them out for ripping off Ridley Scott.

So it's kind of like Tex-mex of horror games. They should use jazz fusion for soundtrack. I'm being too much of an rear end in a top hat over this. They could've chosen to make an interesting looking game, but they picked the boringest most obvious stuff to copy, who cares ultimately. If the game is good it won't matter.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It is kind of sad not much can be used with an overly organic environment treating you like a virus angle. I mean, some games like System Shock 2, Dead Space or anything with overly Chronenburg style enemies tend to follow a everything organic and living somehow sort of creep angle, and god knows I'm not a fan of sphincter doors from the original Prey, DNF or at least to a tolerable sense, the PS2 Evil Dead Games; but has anything ever really driven down that invasive element in a greater organism kind of angle? Like an organism seemingly the size of a major city huge? Either you intend to kill the mass or gain control of it, but as it stands you are in something and this body will try to destroy or absorb you at every turn as you can watch other humans become walking husks or piles of nutrients on the floor.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Iirc Prototype was something like that? Not much of a horror game tho

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

It is kind of sad not much can be used with an overly organic environment treating you like a virus angle. I mean, some games like System Shock 2, Dead Space or anything with overly Chronenburg style enemies tend to follow a everything organic and living somehow sort of creep angle, and god knows I'm not a fan of sphincter doors from the original Prey, DNF or at least to a tolerable sense, the PS2 Evil Dead Games; but has anything ever really driven down that invasive element in a greater organism kind of angle? Like an organism seemingly the size of a major city huge? Either you intend to kill the mass or gain control of it, but as it stands you are in something and this body will try to destroy or absorb you at every turn as you can watch other humans become walking husks or piles of nutrients on the floor.

Play Parasite Eve.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I fully agree that Scorn is starting to look like an unfinished game made by your usual team that had an idea that outpaced something in their equation(time, money, etc) but I'm confused by how the actual criticism being aimed at it is how "cynical" they were to take inspiration from HR Giger(where is this loving cronenberg poo poo coming from, the monsters aren't formerly human[probably, we don't know yet!], are we just throwing that around like it means whatever now)

If the game comes out and it directly copies Giger's work into it's game world, I'll admit I'm wrong, but right now we seriously do not know to what degree they took inspiration from their cited influences, and I think we should, again, probably only loudly criticize things for problems we actually know they have, and not problems they might have but that we don't actually know if they have or not

I'm more just complaining about people complaining than this specifically, but I'll admit I do desperately want Scorn to not be a huge pile of poo poo; hell I want Agony to end up being amazing even though it'll probably be edgy garbage, but we actually have EVIDENCE of that in the demo that came out

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

Play Parasite Eve.

This is just good advice in general.

Both of the PE games on PS1 are great.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

al-azad posted:

Play Parasite Eve.

Everyone with any interest in horror games needs to play Parasite Eve. Probably the sequel too but I don't remember it as well. The 3rd Birthday not so much.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
whatever happened to that PT clone game? The very pretty one that was made by a few people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The sequel is a different sort of game (more an RE game with way better combat and wizard powers) but still pretty goddamn cool since it does a lot with Aya's character and sweet flavor text.