Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just had a doctor fail catastrophically to amputate an arm, resulting in the arm being lopped off.

I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gadzuko posted:

Can colonists who are incapable of violence still go berserk? If so do they actually fight or just get mercilessly beat down by the first person they encounter? The EPOE talk reminded me of when I put an AI persona core in someone's brain and they kept having random berserk rages, I wonder if a pacifist would skip that drawback.

They're fully capable of both raiding you and going berserk

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Danaru posted:

I just had a doctor fail catastrophically to amputate an arm, resulting in the arm being lopped off.

I'll take it.

"He's going to be all right :v:"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mister Adequate posted:

"He's going to be all right :v:"

"Oh that? Just a scratch. It'll buff out"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danaru posted:

EPOE 2.0 uses "energized components" (uranium + components) to make the advanced bionics, which is infinitely less annoying than dealing with vancinadium or whatever it was

Yeah, the only way I EVER got any vancidium was to buy furniture made of it and disassemble it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm glad I came into the game after EPOE 2.0. I've been thinking of switching to Rah's, but I really don't want to lose this save. A group of pirates overcommitted to raiding my medical facility. They blasted into the adjacent greenhouse to get past the outer walls, but my colonists trapped them inside by going out the front gate and setting up by the breach. When they panicked, the pirates got mulched by automatic shotgun fire as they swarmed their tiny breaching hole.

Three pirates survived and were captured, one of them being Rebecca Edwards, nicknamed "Lynx." She was a spoiled child to a wealthy industrial colony manager, who was kidnapped and used in pharmaceutical experiments in her early teens. I reckon it was shortly after this that she fell in with the pirates, because she needs her weekly dose of Luciferium to survive (no doubt a side effect of the experiments). Enter Joshua Marjot, the colony surgeon and research genius. She's a lazy rear end in a top hat, but she knows an opportunity, and gave Lynx an offer she couldn't refuse; get chromed up, join us, and get to live, because where else are you gonna get those little red pills? In spite of the lab/doctor phobia, Lynx is a prosthophile.

Now I have the rimworld equivalent of a Street Samurai in my colony. She runs at 12c/s, has twin upgraded power arms, and fully synthetic organs. Every possible part of her body has been replaced with a bionic version, and her brain is implanted with a Painstopper, AI BrainBuddy, and I'm planning on installing an auxillary AI when I find one to spare (Marjot got the medicine one, and one of my other cyborgs, Gecko, has a construction one). If AI Cores didn't cause irreversible berserker rages, I'd slap one of those in her head too.

:awesomelon:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Warmachine posted:

I'm glad I came into the game after EPOE 2.0. I've been thinking of switching to Rah's, but I really don't want to lose this save. A group of pirates overcommitted to raiding my medical facility. They blasted into the adjacent greenhouse to get past the outer walls, but my colonists trapped them inside by going out the front gate and setting up by the breach. When they panicked, the pirates got mulched by automatic shotgun fire as they swarmed their tiny breaching hole.

Three pirates survived and were captured, one of them being Rebecca Edwards, nicknamed "Lynx." She was a spoiled child to a wealthy industrial colony manager, who was kidnapped and used in pharmaceutical experiments in her early teens. I reckon it was shortly after this that she fell in with the pirates, because she needs her weekly dose of Luciferium to survive (no doubt a side effect of the experiments). Enter Joshua Marjot, the colony surgeon and research genius. She's a lazy rear end in a top hat, but she knows an opportunity, and gave Lynx an offer she couldn't refuse; get chromed up, join us, and get to live, because where else are you gonna get those little red pills? In spite of the lab/doctor phobia, Lynx is a prosthophile.

Now I have the rimworld equivalent of a Street Samurai in my colony. She runs at 12c/s, has twin upgraded power arms, and fully synthetic organs. Every possible part of her body has been replaced with a bionic version, and her brain is implanted with a Painstopper, AI BrainBuddy, and I'm planning on installing an auxillary AI when I find one to spare (Marjot got the medicine one, and one of my other cyborgs, Gecko, has a construction one). If AI Cores didn't cause irreversible berserker rages, I'd slap one of those in her head too.

:stare:

Heaven help you if she ever starts a fight or gets sad brains

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Volmarias posted:

:stare:

Heaven help you if she ever starts a fight or gets sad brains

Eh, a prostophile with that many upgrades is pretty much on a 24/7 super high.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Eh, a prostophile with that many upgrades is pretty much on a 24/7 super high.

She's also got Steadfast. I don't think she's ever had a mental break.

Well, there was that one time we were experimenting with the AI Core. Had to shove her into cryptosleep until we found suitable brain augs to replace it with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At that point the luciferum seems like it would be more of a liability than a help.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OwlFancier posted:

At that point the luciferum seems like it would be more of a liability than a help.

Yeah, I mean, what exactly is it healing?

But if she already signed the red pact when you got her, then there's not much you can do about it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Luciferium buffs consciousness, so it's still an all-around benefit... until you run out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You're a hungry colonist. You check the pantry.

On the left is a can labeled BOILED CORN.

On the right is a platter of perfectly roasted human flesh, masterfully carved, beautifully marbled, glazed with a strawberry sauce, and buttered potatoes

CHOOSE.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Surprisingly the non-cannibal colonists swipe right really often :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I find my colonists eating simple meals made entirely of human flesh rather than the fine meals made of rice and muffallo meat more often than I'd like :mad: Those meals are for the butcher dammit, eat your normal food that doesn't revolt you

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I butcher raiders in batches and make kibble as fast as possible because I have one colonist that sneaks in like a child hunting candy to eat the raw meat. No! That's for the dogs! You'll just make yourself sick again!

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Have a colonist, Wong, that mostly just hauls and cleans but *my god* is she good with a shiv. So far, with just her shiv, she's killed two scythers, a black bear, a snow leopard, and several raiders. She's also successfully re-arrested an escaped prisoner a few times. I have no idea what my colony will do when she inevitably dies.

(extra animals are from some random mod but not sure which one atm)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

On the right is a platter of perfectly roasted human flesh, masterfully carved, beautifully marbled, glazed with a strawberry sauce, and buttered potatoes

CHOOSE.

I mean honestly I think if someone is a big enough dickhead to come and try to murder you and all your friends and steal your house for fun, it's ethically fine to kill them and eat them.

And I really like pork.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And suppose everyone thought that way??

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Why only one synthetic rib?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I mean honestly I think if someone is a big enough dickhead to come and try to murder you and all your friends and steal your house for fun, it's ethically fine to kill them and eat them.

And I really like pork.

A question since I'm still getting used to caravans. If I make peace with a tribe and visit them, can I drop meals on the ground to get them to eat them? Especially if the meals are made from their former raiding comrades?

Edit: Is there a way to maximize food poisoning chance? Do NPCs get food poisoning?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
npcs can definitely get food poisoning, and other crap. i've had caravan guards get into social fights while they're visiting and one time a loser got his poo poo kicked in and fainted on my property. it was my favorite outlander faction, so i just put him in a bed until he was better. but he left his heavy smg as payment, so all good.

anyway, food poisoning chance is set when you cook the meal, and is influenced by the skill of the cook

just have some 0 skill cook make a bunch of simple meals and then hope they don't get ate on the way out there i guess, i don't know how that works exactly.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Caravan out with nothing but good survival meals. Once near the base, set up a camp, then air drop in all the discount Charlie's long pig buffet.

Then carry it the last square.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Food poisoning chance is also influenced by the cleanliness of the kitchen. Make sure you have blood, dirt and animal poo poo on the floor in the same room as your kitchen!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, I mean, what exactly is it healing?

But if she already signed the red pact when you got her, then there's not much you can do about it.

That's the right answer. Nothing to do about it now, and with 71 doses in the medicine cabinet, I think I'll be ok. If not, there's always cryptosleep.

Viscous Soda posted:

Why only one synthetic rib?

I got lazy. When I start making yayo again, I'll swap her entire ribcage for coke sticks. I need to find a candidate for a trader though. I'm looking for a similar set of traits, but with good social, melee, and handling skills.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

CHOOSE.

Ugh, strawberry.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I love this game

She was being chased by one dude named Vince who is now my prisoner. Classic Vince.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 11, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I regret not screenshotting the time a slaver named White came to town.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think I go way overboard on farming. I'll post screenshots of my base soon, but has anyone actually gone full grognard and calculated the most 'efficient' growing operation in growers per tile?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Warmachine posted:

Absolutely fuckin' pro username-post combo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Warmachine posted:

I think I go way overboard on farming. I'll post screenshots of my base soon, but has anyone actually gone full grognard and calculated the most 'efficient' growing operation in growers per tile?

this changes constantly based upon fertility of the soil to temperature to distance from the equator - so no, but not for lack of trying.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Does rain have any impact at all on plant growth? You'd think it should but I don't think it does :shrug:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Flesh Forge posted:

Does rain have any impact at all on plant growth? You'd think it should but I don't think it does :shrug:
I think, but haven't confirmed, that:
- Grass comes from other nearby grass within, or the edge of the map (Try burning / using a lot of grazing animals to clear a section)
- New grass sprouts after rainfall (I think this also implies more rainfall == more grass on map, but it could just straight up be determined by climate)
- Grass starts at 5% and then grows up independently of rain, much like trees or crops

So yes, rain affects grass, and maybe other wild plants (harder to tell), but otherwise not really.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:patriot: :911:

Died because I thought I killed all the bugs, but there was a second hive.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Started a new game to try out some new mods, one of which is the Orbital dropship mod (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.0). Turns out not only do you have access to the dropships, but raiders do as well. My first raid was your standard single tribal with a club, and shortly after the second was two guys with pistols. The third, however, was 4 dropships with 12 raiders fully kitted out with machine guns, explosives and RPGs. My 3 colonists armed with a pump shotgun, rifle and golf club were no match.

I guess i'll be uninstalling that one until a little later in the game.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Prophecy120 posted:

Started a new game to try out some new mods, one of which is the Orbital dropship mod (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.0). Turns out not only do you have access to the dropships, but raiders do as well. My first raid was your standard single tribal with a club, and shortly after the second was two guys with pistols. The third, however, was 4 dropships with 12 raiders fully kitted out with machine guns, explosives and RPGs. My 3 colonists armed with a pump shotgun, rifle and golf club were no match.

I guess i'll be uninstalling that one until a little later in the game.

Just edit the raid points required to something like 99999999 and the baseChance to 0 and you won't get that type of raid. The author admitted the raids with the dropships were just to see if it's possible, so I edited it out. It's a neat mod.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 11, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Some important doctor man lost use of both hands and I had a power claw laying around, so in a pinch I installed it. He still has no use of his hands :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you sacrificed 20-30 dudes to cthulhu that would probably get fixed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nosfereefer posted:

Some important doctor man lost use of both hands and I had a power claw laying around, so in a pinch I installed it. He still has no use of his hands :(

Uh, you realise that this is a power claw?

While technically your doctor might have been able to do surgery with it, the chances of success would be... slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, you realise that this is a power claw?

While technically your doctor might have been able to do surgery with it, the chances of success would be... slim.

It's surprisingly efficient for manipulation. Given that it's not cruelly attached to a completely smashed lower arm.