Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is kind of about someone else's pet peeve I guess

A co-worker today was telling me that changing room mirrors are designed to "make women look bigger" so that they feel like they need a size up, which is apparently more expensive

I don't really get how that works, surely if you're in the changing room trying clothes on you can feel how they fit, and you're not going to go get a size up based on how you look in the mirror?

I understand that there's little tricks like that which use people's lack of self-confidence against them, but I don't get how this one is supposed to work. Usually I can follow the logic of irrational decisions, but the only thing this "trick mirror" seems to do is make you look fat in clothes that fit, I'd just leave the store if that were the case.

When I addressed this, she could only say "women don't work that way" which seems like a pretty bad thing to generalize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People are dumb and paranoid.

edit:

"Hi, I'm x at y company, calling to confirm your reservation for tomorrow.
"Why are you calling me?"
"To confirm your reservation for tomorrow."
"We don't have a reservation!"
"It looks like you were booked from the waitlist, and we left a voice message to confirm it. Did you get a voice message?"
"Yeah, I got a voice message from you guys, but I didn't understand it. I figured you were calling me to let me know we had a reservation."
"Okay, that's probably what it was. Did you call back?"
"No, because I didn't know what the message was about. I don't have a reservation. You said you didn't have a reservation."
"...I'll cancel your reservation."

Magic Hate Ball has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jul 9, 2017

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Posting anything about housing in San Francisco has gotten me nothing but smug responses about how expensive it is, when I already know that. Everybody knows that. (Not talking about these forums by the way).

I've been there maybe 20 times and don't ask people anything other than what's a good spot for a couple that have our interests and how the commute would be realistically to my new gig. Despite that, everyone chimes in with how I'm totally unprepared for how much it costs.

We have two incomes, we're not loaded but we can stretch to meet the rents we already seen online. Between us we've rented in New York, Boston, LA, Monterey, and slightly cheaper places like Portland. These aren't as expensive as a lot of SF but still it's not like I'm 19 years old and moving straight from a $100/mo shack in rural Florida.

I could say that I am Bill Gates and I have an unlimited budget and all I'd get is "lol wow good luck finding a shoebox to live in at that budget, you need at least double your income to even talk to a real estate agent". It's my pet peeve of the moment because people act like they hate it but they sure seem to love jumping in with how much they pay at every turn like it's the coolest thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just mention that you're looking for a place in the Yay Area, preferably close to Frisco.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
We have a similar situation here in Victoria, BC, that people won't shut up about. It's been years now. The rental situation here sucks, as does the real estate market, unless you're a millionaire, and the number of posts I see every day that just reiterate these facts is bonkers. "What's happened to this place!" "Can't find anywhere to live unless you're rich!" Yes, we know this, we're booming, we're a tourist paradise and a desirable place to live. The land is being developed with luxury units in mind. Deal with it!

(For the record, I live in a 700/month retrofitted horse barn in the sticks)

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Brawnfire posted:

This is kind of about someone else's pet peeve I guess

A co-worker today was telling me that changing room mirrors are designed to "make women look bigger" so that they feel like they need a size up, which is apparently more expensive

I don't really get how that works, surely if you're in the changing room trying clothes on you can feel how they fit, and you're not going to go get a size up based on how you look in the mirror?

I understand that there's little tricks like that which use people's lack of self-confidence against them, but I don't get how this one is supposed to work. Usually I can follow the logic of irrational decisions, but the only thing this "trick mirror" seems to do is make you look fat in clothes that fit, I'd just leave the store if that were the case.

When I addressed this, she could only say "women don't work that way" which seems like a pretty bad thing to generalize.

Wow, she is so wrong.

A dress that's standard sizes (0-16, even numbers only) will be the same price for each size. Plus sizes can be more expensive. But, it doesn't benefit a store to make you look larger in the mirror. If anything, and stores don't really do this, they want to make you look fantastic in the clothes so you buy them.

There's also the idea of vanity sizing: deliberately having larger sizes labeled smaller so the customer thinks they're smaller at your store and thus purchases more frequently. Old Navy has been accused of this.

I make clothing & costumes and I just carry a tape measure in my purse, because a size 10 at Banana Republic is not a size 10 at White House Black Market.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Just mention that you're looking for a place in the Yay Area, preferably close to Frisco.

Me: "Hey I'm relocating to Cali."

Californian: ":rolleyes: OH REALLY YOU'RE MOVING TO COLOMBIA? BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE THE CITY OF CALI IS. OTHERWISE NEVER HEARD OF IT."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

life is a joke posted:

Me: "Hey I'm relocating to Cali."

Californian: ":rolleyes: OH REALLY YOU'RE MOVING TO COLOMBIA? BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE THE CITY OF CALI IS. OTHERWISE NEVER HEARD OF IT."

Don't call it Cali. That's a dumb response, but seriously, don't call it Cali.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never heard Cali before. Not even on TV. And I didn't know it was a Colombian city either.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I don't call it Cali, just continuing the string of things to say that bother people :P

But really you've never heard that before? It's a classic rage inducer like hyooston for Houston street or Beantown. Or pronouncing Nevada the correct way to a Nevada person.

The one i did say wrong for a long time without knowing it is Oregon, that there is a big trigger for some pdx people

life is a joke has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Jul 9, 2017

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

People who don't pull up to the car in front of them at a light or stop. Often causing cars to not be able to get into the lane properly behind them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

DavidAlltheTime posted:

People who don't pull up to the car in front of them at a light or stop. Often causing cars to not be able to get into the lane properly behind them.

It's the worst when the front car doesn't pull up to the line therefore not triggering the sensor embedded in the road and you get to miss out on the light changing. I've only seen it happen once but it was ridiculous, I had to get out of the car and knock on grandma's window and explain she needed to move up.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People are dumb and paranoid.

edit:

"Hi, I'm x at y company, calling to confirm your reservation for tomorrow.
"Why are you calling me?"
"To confirm your reservation for tomorrow."
"We don't have a reservation!"
"It looks like you were booked from the waitlist, and we left a voice message to confirm it. Did you get a voice message?"
"Yeah, I got a voice message from you guys, but I didn't understand it. I figured you were calling me to let me know we had a reservation."
"Okay, that's probably what it was. Did you call back?"
"No, because I didn't know what the message was about. I don't have a reservation. You said you didn't have a reservation."
"...I'll cancel your reservation."

...They came in the next day and insisted they had a reservation, didn't they? Maybe with some sort of "I even got a confirmation call!" thrown in there?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom loves to call me from across the house. Mostly to for me to see some 'funny' Facebook video or to pick something up. That she herself can pick up because she's already in the room, but she just did her nails/just got in the shower and forgot her towel/just doesn't want to get up.

This is verbally calling me. She forgets where her cell phone is half the time, at least a text would be quieter.

Also, people who text repeatedly stupid poo poo.

"Hey I'm at the grocery store what do you need me to get?"

How about the list I gave you?

"Oh dessert okay they have pies and cakes what should I get?

Surprise me!

"Pies okay they have strawberry and cherry and cream."

I don't care, grab whatever.

"Pies like cream gotta go in the fridge lol do you like peach?"

Okay. Deep breaths. Fuckface, I told you specifically and made a list of the things we needed. If you lose the list, say so! And when I say surprise me, I don't need to hear the list of every loving flavor of ice cream either, just grab a gallon!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

yo rear end is grass posted:

...They came in the next day and insisted they had a reservation, didn't they? Maybe with some sort of "I even got a confirmation call!" thrown in there?

God forbid.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DavidAlltheTime posted:

If that car in front of me stalls and can't get started, then I'm stuck behind him and can't get around. If I leave a car length in front of me, then it's no problem.

Pet peeve: People who have no situational awareness whatsoever. Not even the ones who walk around looking down at their phones; the ones who just walk like a snail in the middle of a hallway, or who stop directly in front of a doorway and start rooting though their purse, etc. Do you not even realize that there are other people in the world besides you?

MightyJoe36 has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jul 10, 2017

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, the other day about eight or nine of my co-workers were gathered having a very pleasant, very long conversation around the printer/copier. None of them printing anything, just standing there in a perfect circle around the thing. With a conference area a few feet away.

And about half of them were higher-up businessman types, so it was pretty awkward having to "Excuse me--pardon--sorry" my way in to get the jobs I needed to do, but by God I did it anyway because come on. That's just absurd.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

WampaLord posted:

Don't call it Cali. That's a dumb response, but seriously, don't call it Cali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdizL4on-Rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQxdUBIGAg

But seriously, I've never heard Cali outside of these two songs. I hear NorCal and SoCal all the time, though because I've got family in SoCal. I just say California, though :v:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The Snoo posted:

I have eyeliner pens that are like markers and they work better than liquid eyeliner for most things. like liquid eyeliner, though, they're not amazing for your waterline. but they dry faster (tho I smudge them into my eyeshadow most of the time) and give the same boldness a liquid eyeliner would.

but that's just me! one of my eyelids is super shaky and I can barely use the marker on it straight, and my eyes water all the time, I can't imagine using liquid eyeliner again.

You don't have pm's so I'm gonna necro this and say THANK YOU! I've been scared of the marker type eyeliner cause it just seemed harder than a pencil. Bought some yesterday and now I don't look like the palsy got to me while I was doing my eyes.

Also, umrelated side peeve: people who can't end a text chain. I said thank you and have a nice day. Please stop texting me smiley faces and "OK". Also if you gripe at me for not sending a closing emoji or whatever, I hope your phone falls face first onto jagged concrete. We're done here!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

See also: people who can't take the hint when you're trying to end a conversation in person, too.

:v: : Okay, it was cool catching up with you, but I gotta go to the grocery store.
:downswords: : Yeah! Oh man, I had the greatest pizza the other day...
:v: : Uh, yeah, that's awesome. See you later!
:downswords: :It had feta and this really nice sausage on it!
:v: That's great, but I really gotta go!
:downswords: Oh for sure! Anyway, I got it from...

Until eventually I just have to turn and leave while they're mid-sentence, which makes me look like an rear end in a top hat.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

See also: people who can't take the hint when you're trying to end a conversation in person, too.

:v: : Okay, it was cool catching up with you, but I gotta go to the grocery store.
:downswords: : Yeah! Oh man, I had the greatest pizza the other day...
:v: : Uh, yeah, that's awesome. See you later!
:downswords: :It had feta and this really nice sausage on it!
:v: That's great, but I really gotta go!
:downswords: Oh for sure! Anyway, I got it from...

Until eventually I just have to turn and leave while they're mid-sentence, which makes me look like an rear end in a top hat.

Building on this, I used to work for a guy that had a penchant for carrying on the conversation after I was already halfway back to my office by literally yelling out of his office down the hall at me. I'd half-hear it and have to walk back to his office to re-hear it, get stuck in more convo then try to walk off again only to have this repeat again.

More:
- People with no self-awareness choosing to carry on loud conversations in office hallways right outside of peoples' offices

- people that choose to do a whole grooming routine in the bathroom here. I'm tryina take a dump and I gotta listen to some chode brush his teeth, floss, wash his face (while moaning??), and then doing his hair.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

The moaning while washing a face thing is horrible. See also: dudes having showers at the rec centre.
Yeah, the hot water feels good, but calm down, grampa!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Who the gently caress is brushing their teeth in public bathrooms

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

Who the gently caress is brushing their teeth in public bathrooms

People that work in my building. They treat as if it's their own private bathroom.

Adding to this:

- people coming in and loving SLAMMING the stall doors so hard that it shakes the entire stall-structure

- people having loud drawn out conversations in the bathroom or talking on their cell while they poo poo/piss. Better believe I'm gonna let out some loud gas while they're doing that.

I have more pet peeves than I thought about shared bathroom use.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People shaving at the gym is the worst.

I no-poo poo saw crotch-shaving in a gym.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People shaving at the gym is the worst.

I no-poo poo saw crotch-shaving in a gym.

Not quite that bad, but I've seen guys shave at my gym. There's only one sink and I think they're why I find bits of paper towel blocking the drain every so often.

Related pet peeve: I find chewed-up gum in the urinal at the gym. Who the gently caress spits out their gum in the urinal?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mojo1701a posted:

Not quite that bad, but I've seen guys shave at my gym. There's only one sink and I think they're why I find bits of paper towel blocking the drain every so often.
I know this is me being dense and I'll say "Oh, of course" as soon as someone answers, but why are there bits of paper towel blocking the drain?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

I know this is me being dense and I'll say "Oh, of course" as soon as someone answers, but why are there bits of paper towel blocking the drain?

If they shave like I do, it's to fill the sink with water to quickly clean off the razor in between shave strokes which works better than trying to run it under a weak stream of water.

Still, do that poo poo at home, that's what your bathroom at home is for.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people try to deny hospitality thinking they are saving you some inconvenience when they really aren't. For example, offering them a nice (not to mention expensive) airbed instead of my lovely couch where you can't even stretch out all the way.

It takes less than 2 minutes to inflate and get a sheet on it. I've started skipping the asking part and just say that is where you are sleeping. Just this night though a friend let me set it up and decided to take the couch anyway. Whatever, it's your back I guess.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Higgy posted:

People that work in my building. They treat as if it's their own private bathroom.

Adding to this:

- people coming in and loving SLAMMING the stall doors so hard that it shakes the entire stall-structure

Why do people loving do this? I'm always afraid my door is gonna burst open because someone just shook everything. Take it from someone who has pretty urgent shits: It doesn't actually get the door closed faster!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Higgy posted:

If they shave like I do, it's to fill the sink with water to quickly clean off the razor in between shave strokes which works better than trying to run it under a weak stream of water.

Still, do that poo poo at home, that's what your bathroom at home is for.

I use (well, before I grew a beard) a DE razor, and just running it under a tap works just fine. When I'm in a rush, however, I use one of those multi-bladed ones I get for Christmas and when they gunk up, I have to slam them against the sink in the water. Not the best, I know.

I could understand it if there are multiple sinks or something, but there's just one, and it's in the way of anyone who wants to take a piss there. My gym is very bare-bones is what I'm saying.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why do people loving do this? I'm always afraid my door is gonna burst open because someone just shook everything. Take it from someone who has pretty urgent shits: It doesn't actually get the door closed faster!

I don't know, but I assume it's the same type of person that lived above my apartment previously. Everything has to be down loudly, slam the microwave door, slam every cabinet, slam stall doors, slam then front door, let that toilet seat just slam shut!

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people try to deny hospitality thinking they are saving you some inconvenience when they really aren't. For example, offering them a nice (not to mention expensive) airbed instead of my lovely couch where you can't even stretch out all the way.

It takes less than 2 minutes to inflate and get a sheet on it. I've started skipping the asking part and just say that is where you are sleeping. Just this night though a friend let me set it up and decided to take the couch anyway. Whatever, it's your back I guess.

That kind of behavior is way more annoying than just taking what's offered.

Sometimes it's pride. I had a friend stay on my couch for a couple months and he would refuse dinner until I put the plate in his lap and told him it wasn't charity. When offered all kinds of drinks he'd take tap water with no ice. We offered him use of the TV, DVD collection, books, computer etc. while we were sleeping or at work. Nope, he thought he was being polite by not touching anything, just sitting in the dark with his hands folded staring at the floor for hours.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
A pet peeve of mine is dealing with 'absolutes'. Couple of common scenarios I see revolving around these are:

1) Say someone really enjoys or really dislikes something, like a band or a food. For comedic effect, people will commonly use absolute hyperbole such as 'Radiohead is the BEST; nothing else comes close!' or 'Ugh, asparagus is the WORST; how could anyone like it!' What ends up happening is that the recipient does not take the statement as hyperbole but rather a fact, and an argument ensues.

It's difficult as there can be a little bit of fault coming from either end in that both parties refuse to agree that most of the time, the hyperbole statements are shorthand for a more sedated message of 'I enjoy Radiohead and I'd like to share my enjoyment with you, if you like'. Furthermore, either side could actually not being going for said sedated message, but rather intentionally trying to instigate (though sometimes it's just friendly banter).

2) In a more serious matter and coming from the other end, say something like the recent debates on vaccines: scientists will usually avoid absolute statements like 'vaccines are completely safe' because there are various extenuating circumstances surrounding the situation that they don't want to forgo, even if they could say the absolute statement with probably 99% certainty. That's a good thing, but listeners will twist this into them thinking that since they refuse to speak in absolutes that they are hiding something and that vaccines must secretly be incredibly dangerous.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Augh, I've been on both sides of this and it can definitely be pretty awkward. Nowadays, as the hospitality giver, I'll usually try to offer twice in a nice manner. The first time you offer, a lot of people are automatically programmed to deny the offer without even thinking, whereas the second time you offer, their brain will have processed the initial offer and they can actually decide on whether to take the offer. Failing that, depending on the person, I'll go with what you do where you just automatically do the hospitality for the person without asking for their permission, even though they would deny it in the name of pseudo-politeness. Sometimes it backfires because they actually don't want it for a good reason, but as you learn people, you learn who to do it with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On the flip side of that, some years ago I was staying overnight with the family of a good friend (but not so good that we'd share a bed). I was there for some kind of holiday party or something, because I didn't have a lot of family in the area at the time and thus had a general standing invitation to their events when I had nowhere to go. Hadn't planned on it being an overnight visit but her place was in the mountains and it had just snowed.

I can't remember now if she actually lived with her parents at the time, but they kept a room made up for her.

Anyway that long winded intro is all by way of saying that her mother was VERY insistent that I take her (my friend's) bed, over both her and my objections, and it got kind of awkward til it turned out that their younger son was out for the night anyway.

There's being a gracious guest and all, but gently caress if I'm displacing someone from their bed when they aren't willing at someone else's say so.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
There's also the possibility that they find air mattresses uncomfortable and would prefer the couch.

I've slept on the floor to avoid a lovely air mattress. I'm not sure how people sleep on them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FutureCop posted:

2) In a more serious matter and coming from the other end, say something like the recent debates on vaccines: scientists will usually avoid absolute statements like 'vaccines are completely safe' because there are various extenuating circumstances surrounding the situation that they don't want to forgo, even if they could say the absolute statement with probably 99% certainty. That's a good thing, but listeners will twist this into them thinking that since they refuse to speak in absolutes that they are hiding something and that vaccines must secretly be incredibly dangerous.

One thing that annoys me about Dr Karl is the way he does this. Like, someone recently phoned in to ask about blocking the "radiation" from their electricity meter and his response was something like "we have found no evidence that they emit any kind of harmful radiation". I know that he's actually saying that they're safe, but I'm pretty sure what the caller heard was "nothing conclusive, could go either way". Just that phrase "no evidence", people hear that and go "Oh, so we don't know anything." rather than what it actually means, which is "we've looked really hard and it's not there."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bomrek posted:

There's also the possibility that they find air mattresses uncomfortable and would prefer the couch.

I've slept on the floor to avoid a lovely air mattress. I'm not sure how people sleep on them.

Not all air mattresses are lovely. The one I got is actually more comfortable than my real bed and i'd use it every night if I wasn't concerned about durability.

Anyway I can get the apprehension because most people are used to the 25 dollar leaky ones where you're like an inch off the floor, but in every other case once they tried it they went with it, until now. I've slept on my couch before and it was awful having half my leg dangling off the end, and this guy is taller than me. I didn't make a big thing about it but I can't comprehend someone preferring that aside from stubbornness.

Recurring peeve related to guests: not even trying to close the bathroom door quietly at night. There's more than one way to close a door than just yanking it closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I'm sitting reading a book and someone asks me what I'm reading. Compounded, naturally, by being asked what it's about.

I don't mind if someone asks me either question when I've put the book down or before I've got it opened, but when I'm actually trying to read it, it is something I could do without.