Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It fits because Bond is a massive rear end in a top hat in the source material.

Yea but nobody really cares about that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gatts posted:

Didn't the description of Bond in the books match closer to Craig with regards to blonde hair and such? Someone once described a fitting Bond to be David Bowie.

Nope, he has black hair in the books.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

Milana Vayntrub, the AT&T commercial actress, has been cast as Squirrel Girl.

That's....not that bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cacator posted:

Nope, he has black hair in the books.

Not my Bond

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Young Freud posted:

That's....not that bad.

"Ok, so you're familiar with how superhero actors and actresses get put on strict diet and workout regimens to get in shape."
"Oh wow, you're going to pay me to get all toned and tight!"
"Ah, no. We're going to need you to put on about thirty pounds. Of rear end."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But she doesn't actually have a huge rear end. That's her tail stuffed back there.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Gonz posted:

That's really, really good casting

Too bad it's on Freeform and is going to be worse than Agents of Shield and Inhumans combined.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gonz posted:

Nice

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But she doesn't actually have a huge rear end. That's her tail stuffed back there.

The producer wasn't trying to be comic book accurate. He just has certain... preferences.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gonz posted:

Anna Kendrick put on suicide watch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

Anna Kendrick put on suicide watch.

I think she'll be okay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah Anna Kendrick really wanted to move from starring in movies to being on Freeform

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm more worried about Barb from Stranger Things, but she's got Riverdale going for her, so she'll probably be alright.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Bond was written to look like an idealized version of Ian Fleming, I thought, based on that documentary I saw. I think it just describes him as short cropped black hair and a square handsome face.

E: "slim build; a three-inch long, thin vertical scar on his right cheek; blue-grey eyes; a "cruel" mouth; short, black hair, a comma of which falls on his forehead."

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 11, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Actually, James Bond was written to have orange frizzy hair, an eye patch, broken nose, with very few teeth, about two at most. He also had a scar on his cheek in the shape of a banana. Well, both cheeks, they sort of met in the middle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Actually, James Bond was written to have orange frizzy hair, an eye patch, broken nose, with very few teeth, about two at most. He also had a scar on his cheek in the shape of a banana. Well, both cheeks, they sort of met in the middle.

This is why I still can't believe Joe Don Baker didn't get the part when he was briefly considered (though he did get to be a villain in The Living Daylights).

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Really, the producers hosed up casting Bond when they didn't pick up a random Football Hooligan.

Racist, Sexist piece of garbage that just wants to drink and punch the poo poo out of anyone within a half kilometre of him. At that point, it's barely even acting.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

Really? I like her a lot and wish good things on her, but for Squirrel Girl I'd expect someone less conventionally pretty.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

davidspackage posted:

Really? I like her a lot and wish good things on her, but for Squirrel Girl I'd expect someone less conventionally pretty.

Not to go full :goonsay: but this is the what Squirrle Girl has looked like for most of the character's existence

It's only the most recent book where the artist decided that she's not conventionally pretty, but since they draw everyone like they went 12 rounds with Holyfield I don't really think it should count

Edit: The new costume is a hell of a lot better IMO though.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 11, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Comic book art is getting worse right? Silver age is goofy but it's all very utilitarian. cartoons designed to survive a cost effective mass printing run on low quality paper. Maybe by the 80s and 90s things start getting Xtremey and that's its own kind of lame, but at least the art was solid. That thing you just posted looks loving awful. Like whoever drew that and submitted it to be inked, whoever inked it, whoever greenlit it for publication, all of those people should be loving ashamed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The art for Squirrle Girl is loving awful in my opinion, but I've been told I'm wrong for thinking that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

(double post)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

basic hitler posted:

Comic book art is getting worse right? Silver age is goofy but it's all very utilitarian. cartoons designed to survive a cost effective mass printing run on low quality paper. Maybe by the 80s and 90s things start getting Xtremey and that's its own kind of lame, but at least the art was solid. That thing you just posted looks loving awful. Like whoever drew that and submitted it to be inked, whoever inked it, whoever greenlit it for publication, all of those people should be loving ashamed.

It looks fine except everyone has the same face for some reason.

My pet peeve is a lot of modern artists think it's acceptable to copy/paste three or more panels in a row and just switch out the speech bubbles. That always looks like poo poo. There are plenty of good artists today but I'll always have a soft spot for 60s-80s Marvel comics.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 11, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

basic hitler posted:

Comic book art is getting worse right?
It's broken the workmanlike lantern jaw dude and slim nymph female conventions from the silver age and there's more tolerance for non-standard art that serves the story or mood of the book.

Quirky kind-of-a-joke heroine depicted as kind of plain but adorably dorky in her series sounds about right.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The first couple issues of the new Ms Marvel looked great and it's a shame they switched artists so quickly.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 11, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

8one6 posted:

The art for Squirrle Girl is loving awful in my opinion, but I've been told I'm wrong for thinking that.

To be honest, most of what I know of Squirrel Girl comes from pages and panels posted in the BSS forum. I do think the art style fits the comic's goofy nature.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

davidspackage posted:

I do think the art style fits the comic's goofy nature.

It's this. Comics have moved away from the square-jawed and voluptuous "House Style" and gravitated toward art that's big on individual artist styles and stuff that's tone-appropriate for the book. Goofy light-hearted books get goofy art, big titles like Justice League get more traditional art, etc. If anything, comic art has vastly improved in the last 15 years.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

basic hitler posted:

Wait, what?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

basic hitler posted:

Comic book art is getting worse right?

Most of Marvel's new pencillers come from a web-comic background, and were hired because they're well known on Tumblr or wherever and the Marvel execs think they'll bring a new audience on board. The problem with this is that they can't actually draw for poo poo and rely on the inkers and colurers to make their crap even somewhat presentable.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not a comic book guy but the killing joke and watchmen, from that crazy guy, are what i think of as great comic book art, even though it treads water in the edgelord pond a whole lot.

I really don't like that style for Squirrel Girl. It comes off as deviant art level fan art. I'm not saying I can do better, but I am saying I wouldn't try to get a job drawing comics if that's the best design i could muster.

I hate being a shithead about art so I'm not super invested in defending my opinions here, since that's all this is, but that art is drat near offensive to me for whatever reason, and I like a lot of older art from 80s and 90s comic books, even if the stories are impenetrably silly

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I know it was always a pipe dream, but I'm just a little disappointed they didn't cast Kristen Schaal.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

basic hitler posted:

I'm not a comic book guy but the killing joke and watchmen, from that crazy guy, are what i think of as great comic book art, even though it treads water in the edgelord pond a whole lot.

I really don't like that style for Squirrel Girl. It comes off as deviant art level fan art. I'm not saying I can do better, but I am saying I wouldn't try to get a job drawing comics if that's the best design i could muster.

I hate being a shithead about art so I'm not super invested in defending my opinions here, since that's all this is, but that art is drat near offensive to me for whatever reason, and I like a lot of older art from 80s and 90s comic books, even if the stories are impenetrably silly

When I think of the 90s and Extremey I think of Rob Liefeld or Chaos! Comics, that's why I asked.

cptn_dr posted:

I know it was always a pipe dream, but I'm just a little disappointed they didn't cast Kristen Schaal.

I only know Squirrel Girl from the funny panels thread in BSS, and those always make me think of Sally Hawkins' character from Happy Go Lucky. I guess Squirrel Girl is more self-aware than that though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Flatscan posted:

Most of Marvel's new pencillers come from a web-comic background, and were hired because they're well known on Tumblr or wherever and the Marvel execs think they'll bring a new audience on board. The problem with this is that they can't actually draw for poo poo and rely on the inkers and colurers to make their crap even somewhat presentable.

None of this is true.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of this is true.

Well, for Unbeatable Squirrel Girl it is, in fact, the writer who has a web comic background, so it's, like, tangentially true in a kind of funhouse mirror, telephone game kind of way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

This is why I still can't believe Joe Don Baker didn't get the part when he was briefly considered (though he did get to be a villain in The Living Daylights).

Yeah but he also got to play the CIA's version of Bond in Goldeneye.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but he also got to play the CIA's version of Bond in Goldeneye.

Goldeneye, the only Bond movie I've truly loved.

I've tried so many times with Bond, but I can't help but feeling like most of it is hokey bullshit. And that's not a criticism of other people or the films themselves, just how I see them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone really needs to show that artist what a human head looks like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Which is kinda funny because the art in Watchmen was intentionally garish.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Baywatch's biggest overseas box office is in... Germany, at $15 million. Can you guess why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Because they developed a computer to know what is funny

• Locked thread