Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

I get it that nothing matters is the meme but I'm just pessimistic as gently caress after witnessing the endless clusterfuck that ended with DJT in office.

have you not noticed the fact that his 7 months in office has been so tumultuous that he can't even get the republicans' landmark healthcare bill passed, as well as any other action that requires more than a signature to overturn an executive order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

have you not noticed the fact that his 7 months in office has been so tumultuous that he can't even get the republicans' landmark healthcare bill passed, as well as any other action that requires more than a signature to overturn an executive order?

Yeah, this is kinda why everybody jokes that nothing matters. Donnie has been stumbling from incompetencey to incompetencey, in full public view, and nothing is visibly happening. Yeah Muller may still turboprosecute the least capable executive team in history but right now they're making us a laughingstock at the G20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also
Daily show is back this week and it's great

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, this is kinda why everybody jokes that nothing matters. Donnie has been stumbling from incompetencey to incompetencey, in full public view, and nothing is visibly happening. Yeah Muller may still turboprosecute the least capable executive team in history but right now they're making us a laughingstock at the G20

"nothing is visibly happening" besides the Republicans failing to actually live up to any kind of major governmental goal they had. Are you for real?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He means that nothing is visibly happening to fix the glitch.

M_Gargantua posted:

DynCorp and blackwater seem like some serious trash at the management level. Not going to comment about the quality of contractors, there are goons among them and some of them, I assume, are good people.

Blackwater founder Erik Prince is SecEd Betsy Devos' brother.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Since when have politicians failing to meet promises surprised anyone. Bureaucratic inaction and is a cornerstone belief of 40% of the American population who views voting as useless because nothing happens. No one is surprised by the hydra that is the GOP eating its own ability to govern after everything else. They're not following any sort of GOP outline in anyway that they can sell to American conservatives. They're held hostage by the dozen members of the party beholden to the crazed red hat brigade of pepe warriors

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

Blackwater founder Erik Prince is SecEd Betsy Devos' brother.

I'm crossing my fingers that they all end up as felons after the fallout

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Since when have politicians failing to meet promises surprised anyone. Bureaucratic inaction and is a cornerstone belief of 40% of the American population who views voting as useless because nothing happens. No one is surprised by the hydra that is the GOP eating its own ability to govern after everything else. They're not following any sort of GOP outline in anyway that they can sell to American conservatives. They're held hostage by the dozen members of the party beholden to the crazed red hat brigade of pepe warriors

yes i'm sure this would also be the case if the entirety of the US fully supported the administration and none of the controversies and negative media coverage were happening

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

M_Gargantua posted:

Since when have politicians failing to meet promises surprised anyone.

It should surprise (and please, in this case) people, since politicians actually do tend to keep most of their promises.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

He means that nothing is visibly happening to fix the glitch.

Whatever happens to Trump i feel is secondary to ensuring that Republicans do not get their way in killing millions of citizens and tossing us into yet another pointless war. I will not consider anything that works towards that goal as "nothing happening".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

yes i'm sure this would also be the case if the entirety of the US fully supported the administration and none of the controversies and negative media coverage were happening

Except outrage fatigue is a thing. I'm still an angry liberal and I think that this today is a huge story and some light treason may have been committed, but most people don't see that. They watch FOX and all that fox was talking about in the cafeteria today was about how Comey leaked secrets in his memos and is as bad is ~shillery~. The entirety of the US is majority run by republican statehouses, a republican senate, and a republican congress, who seem to have no qualms about letting an arguably republican executive flail about as long as it makes them money.

The Iron Rose posted:

It should surprise (and please, in this case) people, since politicians actually do tend to keep most of their promises.

Perception, not reality, sways elections as proven by agent orange.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Except outrage fatigue is a thing. I'm still an angry liberal and I think that this today is a huge story and some light treason may have been committed, but most people don't see that. They watch FOX and all that fox was talking about in the cafeteria today was about how Comey leaked secrets in his memos and is as bad is ~shillery~. The entirety of the US is majority run by republican statehouses, a republican senate, and a republican congress, who seem to have no qualms about letting an arguably republican executive flail about as long as it makes them money.

yet they seem to be having bad luck at passing major legislation. I wonder why?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

Because they're six seperate political ideologies that coexisted and grew strong on the prevailing principle of "OBAMA IS THE DEVIL"

They're inability to pass malicious legislation in no way impedes their ability to ruin everything through sheer incompetence. They're practically obstructing each other right now and still blaming the democrats. Worst part is its working because they're base is radicalized to believe that anything liberal is bad and were right back to emailghazi

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Because they're six seperate political ideologies that coexisted and grew strong on the prevailing principle of "OBAMA IS THE DEVIL"

They're inability to pass malicious legislation in no way impedes their ability to ruin everything through sheer incompetence. They're practically obstructing each other right now and still blaming the democrats. Worst part is its working because they're base is radicalized to believe that anything liberal is bad and were right back to emailghazi

so nothing matters and they were doomed to defeat themselves, might as well not spend any effort since that could only be counterproductive

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Buca di Bepis posted:

That dysfunction seems to be a lot more about tea party whackos screaming bloody murder about the proposed legislation not being enough murder to satiate the God of Conservatism. If Turtle McFuckerson could have ramrodded his poo poo through without Cruz and pals making GBS threads all over everyone and slowing things up at precisely the wrong moment it would have been a done deal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All effort must be spent now and going forward because political apathy is letting regressive policies get an inch. Give and inch lose a mile and we may end up back in the 1920s where the police is protecting the KKK (oh wait, already there) and neonazis are a publicized political force in the world (drat too late)

"Nothing matters" because the legal apparatus that remains tenable is operating at the speed of old politics. We're now in the age of raging idiocy where every day things are happening and our politicians could stop it if they weren't all party hacks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

That dysfunction seems to be a lot more about tea party whackos screaming bloody murder about the proposed legislation not being enough murder to satiate the God of Conservatism. If Turtle McFuckerson could have ramrodded his poo poo through without Cruz and pals making GBS threads all over everyone and slowing things up at precisely the wrong moment it would have been a done deal.

I don't think you can actually discount that so much of the constituencies of these people depend so totally on healthcare handouts that the legislation is completely untenable. Alaska and West Virginia are extreme cases, but people in other states are giving enough poo poo to their Congressmen about losing benefits that it actually seems to be making a difference. Never mind that these same people voted their congressmen in on the platform of destroying healthcare, now they're realizing that it would actually affect them, too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

I don't think you can actually discount that so much of the constituencies of these people depend so totally on healthcare handouts that the legislation is completely untenable. Alaska and West Virginia are extreme cases, but people in other states are giving enough poo poo to their Congressmen about losing benefits that it actually seems to be making a difference. Never mind that these same people voted their congressmen in on the platform of destroying healthcare, now they're realizing that it would actually affect them, too.

They don't care that the legislation is untenable because the results of the legislation will never effect them. They will walk away rich, even if some of them lose their seats in 2018 and 2020. We will fight tooth and nail for those seats and hose fuckers will still leave with seven figure accounts and six figure consulting jobs at companies who benefited billions in the few years their plan was active.

Your constituency hates you? What do you do? Attempt to appease them by being more liberal, which they'll hate you for? Or go along with the party, take the pay out, and retire?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They don't care that the legislation is untenable because the results of the legislation will never effect them. They will walk away rich, even if some of them lose their seats in 2018 and 2020. We will fight tooth and nail for those seats and hose fuckers will still leave with seven figure accounts and six figure consulting jobs at companies who benefited billions in the few years their plan was active.

Your constituency hates you? What do you do? Attempt to appease them by being more liberal, which they'll hate you for? Or go along with the party, take the pay out, and retire?

*shrug* just take a look at the actions of the West Virginia senator, at least

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think we're talking past each other here.

McCain was also very concerned i'm sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I think we're talking past each other here.

McCain was also very concerned i'm sure.

As long as they're an unstoppable, invincible super juggernaut I might as well vote on the winning side.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

As long as they're an unstoppable, invincible super juggernaut I might as well vote on the winning side.

They're not winning, they're breaking things with their stupidity. 35% of the population of America vote for them because their team is the winning side even if it kills them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They're not winning, they're breaking things with their stupidity. 35% of the population of America vote for them because their team is the winning side even if it kills them.

So keep at it, because "it matters".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nothing matters. Life is absurd tragedy. But by god am I going to try to make life better for those who come after me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Go over into the mom chat thread and watch 65,000 green day fans belt out Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of their lungs between band sets. It will make you feel a little bit better for the day.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803600&pagenumber=253#post474246266

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its really cool how all indications seem to point to the DoD being largely independent of the administration. I'm not sure if that's terrifying or good

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

Its really cool how all indications seem to point to the DoD being largely independent of the administration. I'm not sure if that's terrifying or good

Worked out really well for Turkey (🦃)... For a while

Edit: Does that poo poo show up on desktops? Phone really really wanted to put a turkey emoji in.. So I let it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Worked out really well for Turkey (🦃)... For a while

Edit: Does that poo poo show up on desktops? Phone really really wanted to put a turkey emoji in.. So I let it.

Chrome shows it. I'm pretty sure mobile emoji are part of Unicode now, so any modern web browser should show them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Buca di Bepis posted:

So keep at it, because "it matters".

People have been saying nothing matters for the better part of a year and you're suddenly getting your panties in a wad about it?

https://twitter.com/mikecollierwx/status/884625189056720896

https://twitter.com/mikecollierwx/status/884633265981857792

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 11, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Larry Parrish posted:

It's both.

It's good that the DoD is largely independent of this administration.

It's horrifying that the DoD murder ball is rolling around largely governed only by internal moral compasses held by the same fuckwits that commanded poo poo while we were in. You know. The ones that would send people to the firing squad because your PT shoes had the wrong white to blue ratio, but let's cover up and spirit away rape accusations because if the public thinks there is a problem then the troops moral might take a hit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Meet Rob Goldstone.

https://twitter.com/JoshSchwerin/status/884595150810484741

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/884598456286949376

This guy was the entertainment dude that was supertied to Russia and has had his picture taken with Donnie a lot. He talks on Facebook a lot. He supposedly wrote the email to Donnie Junior basically saying "hey, the Russians want to help!" and the motherfucker actually checks in on Facebook (though the wrong Trump tower page) the day of the meeting. The day of the election, he even posts a picture of himself in a fun t-shirt: http://nypost.com/2017/07/11/man-who-arranged-trump-jr-russia-meeting-posted-suspicious-photo/

Meanwhile, the Russian lawyer just talked to NBC News. https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/884736141391536128

Gonna be a stupid day!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
"She didn't have any info on clinton so what's the big deal???"

Betting on that being an excuse by someone high up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

It's both.

It's good that the DoD is largely independent of this administration.

It's horrifying that the DoD murder ball is rolling around largely governed only by internal moral compasses held by the same fuckwits that commanded poo poo while we were in. You know. The ones that would send people to the firing squad because your PT shoes had the wrong white to blue ratio, but let's cover up and spirit away rape accusations because if the public thinks there is a problem then the troops moral might take a hit.

Lol yeah. Exactly. Like, on one hand, there's probably a lot of people in ~~ high command ~~ that think continuing the epic literal forever war against brown people in adobe huts is a terrible idea, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure a large chunk of the general corps was around when Iraq started and were all for that poo poo and probably still are

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So I just found out I'm going to be spending a long weekend drinking at a cottage with a retired British general who commanded a UN mission in Africa and troops during Desert Storm.

Also was a governor of a castle in the UK :stare:

I know we make jokes about officers being nobles, but drat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My greatest fear is unironically that the insane style of hardcore evangelical that enlisted specifically so they could be a Holy Christian Warrior is now filling a good chunk of the senior officer corps

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Larry Parrish posted:

My greatest fear is unironically that the insane style of hardcore evangelical that enlisted specifically so they could be a Holy Christian Warrior is now filling a good chunk of the senior officer corps

oh man

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think we're still a few years off from that: If you assume that the biggest wave of Holy Christian Warriors came after 9/11, that would put them around 12 to 16 years in service.

The downside is that those people are all likely O-4 or O-5 by now, which officially makes them the most dangerous part of the military.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 11, 2017

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Right, most flag officers joined around the Gulf War era or earlier. A lot of the hardcore zealots I know got out during President Obama's tenure to go work for conservative think tanks. I don't know if that is good or not, but my anecdotal evidence is a lot of the officer corp is back to being Center Right. Most of if the "conservatives" I know are of the traditional sense, and voted for Rubio or Kasich in the Primary.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Most of the hardcore Christian right wingers that I served with got out and seem to hate their lives and spend all day on Facebook posting second amendment memes and how antifa are no different than ISIS and how blue lives matter and how black people are the real racists.

The usual Breitbart talking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TBeats posted:

People have been saying nothing matters for the better part of a year and you're suddenly getting your panties in a wad about it?

No it's always been loving dumb and it's gotten even more dumb with everything that's been happening lately so I chose that moment to talk about it. Sorry I haven't been posting about it enough for your liking.

• Locked thread