Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

GoldfishStew posted:

So if I switched to the 1Pass monthly program, they'd have all my info on their servers, correct? Which program lets me keep all my poo poo on my own devices? Just KeyPass?

Also, what is better? To keep my own poo poo on my own poo poo or to trust 1Pass with it on their server?

they have a whole secret key thing so your data is encrypted on their servers and they cannot open it but yeah you are deffo putting a lot of trust in 1pass

works great for me

i use kepass at work because some german decided to include it in the default image for every laptop, thanks hans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
KeePass, KyPass, KeyPass, which one is the good one?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GoldfishStew posted:

I think the paid one is best, not that I've used it. I don't really see the point in using KeyPass with a paid iOS app rather than just using 1Pass with all the added convenience it brings. Am I wrong? I haven't actually switched from KeyPass yet but I'm very tempted.

Just FYI MiniKeePass has a bug with Google Drive (which they will never fix apparently) however that shouldn't concern you if you're storing locally.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I'm honestly not trying to be a dick or annoying but I seriously don't know the name of the right app.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoldfishStew posted:

Kypass for iOS
KeePass for Windows
KeePassX for Mac

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Are there any apps which will open just about any file as text? iCloud Drive/Files just flat out refuses to open anything it doesn't recognize by file extension and I want to be able to just fling those files over to another app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Check the Share menu, there may be some Copy To ... or Open in ... options.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
You might try Readdle's Documents app?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's a good ad blocker for Safari? Don't mind paying.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Arivia posted:

Adblocking is pirating

I think the general consensus is still 1Blocker, though sometimes it breaks websites randomly. When that happens I switch to Adamant and then I switch back whenever Adamant stops working.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've bought four or five blockers, keep three installed, and the only active one right now is Firefox Focus which is completely free. I switch among them when I encounter a page that frustrates me on one and not on the other two. So my suggestion is even if you do buy a blocker at least get Focus as a backup.

I'm using the pay-once 1PW with iCloud sync and I don't understand why I should leave it, but I hear a lot of dissatisfaction about 1PW lately. Did they end the one-time license completely and I'm just grandfathered in?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I'm using the pay-once 1PW with iCloud sync and I don't understand why I should leave it, but I hear a lot of dissatisfaction about 1PW lately. Did they end the one-time license completely and I'm just grandfathered in?

I think you can only get the iCloud sync these days if you purchase through the AppStore, and if you want the subscription model you buy through their website. The latter is because they don't want Apple to take a slice of the subscription price by offering it as an in-app purchase through the AppStore version.

The AppStore version still gets feature and security updates and I haven't had to pay when it moved from 4 to 5 to 6.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As this is the iOS apps thread, I didn't even think about a PC version at all. I only use it on my iPhone and iPad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

As this is the iOS apps thread, I didn't even think about a PC version at all. I only use it on my iPhone and iPad.

Derp. I wasn't even paying attention to the thread title and thought I was in the macOS thread. Sorry about that.

I think the iOS apps are more flexible in that regard, since the iTunes App Store is the only place you can load their apps.

Agilebits site still shows iCloud as an option for iOS app. I *think* the Dropbox support (which is going away when Dropbox flips the switch to their new API) requires the "pro" in app purchase these days, but I'm reasonably certain the base version (free) let't you create a single vault in iCloud but limits it to just passwords. Not 100% on that since I've had the full version since 1Password 4.

https://support.1password.com/system-requirements/

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.
I use Adblock which uses iOS’ on demand vpn to behave like a pihole. It blocks ads OS wide and I’m not sure why so many people choose to use a safari blocker instead of something like this.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

x66Shadow66x posted:

I use Adblock which uses iOS’ on demand vpn to behave like a pihole. It blocks ads OS wide and I’m not sure why so many people choose to use a safari blocker instead of something like this.

Probably because the intermediary party that runs that AdBlock app is getting a free view at all your browsing habits and is about as provably trustworthy as your neighbor at the end of the block.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bobfather posted:

Probably because the intermediary party that runs that AdBlock app is getting a free view at all your browsing habits and is about as provably trustworthy as your neighbor at the end of the block.
If this is the app I'm thinking of, there's no 3rd party server, and in fact, that's the entire mechanism it uses to block ads. It creates a VPN profile that only applies to ad servers and pipes them to the VPN server at 255.255.255.255. Which doesn't exist, so the ads never load.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

hey girl you up posted:

If this is the app I'm thinking of, there's no 3rd party server, and in fact, that's the entire mechanism it uses to block ads. It creates a VPN profile that only applies to ad servers and pipes them to the VPN server at 255.255.255.255. Which doesn't exist, so the ads never load.

You're absolutely right. Will have to check that out to see how it fares against 1Blocker.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

hey girl you up posted:

This. I was skeptical at first but have been using it for a while now on all my iOS devices without any issues. It's way better than any of the other ad blockers.

e: and by "it" I mean AdBlock.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 12, 2017

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

hey girl you up posted:

Does the fact that it's a VPN mean it would also apply to non-Safari apps, e.g. YouTube?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
The site specifically says it doesn't block YouTube ads

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Arivia posted:

I like Wipr, both for iOS and MacOS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

empty baggie posted:

Same. Short of its inability to whitelist sites (which I think is fixed in High Sierra and iOS 11 by whitelisting sites from running extensions at the browser level) Wipr is really great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Same. Short of its inability to whitelist sites (which I think is fixed in High Sierra and iOS 11 by whitelisting sites from running extensions at the browser level) Wipr is really great.
I thought we were on the 1Blocker train?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I switch between 1blocker and Wipr. They are both great. 1blocker obviously has more controls but I find they end up breaking sites for me every so often. Mainly menus in shopping sites.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought we were on the 1Blocker train?
Oh, I am.

serebralassazin posted:

I switch between 1blocker and Wipr. They are both great. 1blocker obviously has more controls but I find they end up breaking sites for me every so often. Mainly menus in shopping sites.
Yeah this, basically.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So that Adblock app is safe to use? Can I use it at the same time as my VPN? 1Blocker is good but I want ads blocked in as much as possible.

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.
[quote="“SeANMcBAY”" post="“474314040”"]
So that Adblock app is safe to use? Can I use it at the same time as my VPN? 1Blocker is good but I want ads blocked in as much as possible.
[/quote]

Yea Adblock is on demand vpn for ad hosts that just point to localhost. It means the request for whatever is in your lists is never even sent. Unlike all the other blockers who can still see the request and you just don’t see them in your client. This works system wide.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

empty baggie posted:

Same. Wipr is a no fuss content blocker that just works really well. Activate and forget about it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

x66Shadow66x posted:

Yea Adblock is on demand vpn for ad hosts that just point to localhost. It means the request for whatever is in your lists is never even sent. Unlike all the other blockers who can still see the request and you just don’t see them in your client. This works system wide.

Speaking of these: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/14/apple-ad-blocking-app-crackdown/

Apparently Apple only wants the Safari based blockers from now on. I hope actual VPNs like PIA can keep their ad blocking functionality at least.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 15, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Wipr was last updated in Nov 2015.

Does that matter or does the app update from within itself (sites to block)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Wipr was last updated in Nov 2015.

Does that matter or does the app update from within itself (sites to block)?
It uses EasyList and updates in app.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of these: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/14/apple-ad-blocking-app-crackdown/

Apparently Apple only wants the Safari based blockers from now. I hope actual VPNs like PIA can keep their ad blocking functionality at least.

And I literally just bought the app today on hopes it would address the occasional facebook link that gets swamped in non-dismissable ads. Thanks Apple

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
iDisplay is free currently

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

duckfarts posted:

iDisplay is free currently

How does it compare to Duet? I use my iPad Pro at times with my rMBP and Duet has been fantastic for me and that's what I've been recommending. If this one is better feature or performance wise, I may give it go.

E: Eh, it's free right now, so I snagged. Seeing as the reviews across "all versions" in the iTunes Store are overwhelmingly negative I'm not holding out much hope.

E2: Oh, poo poo wait I remember testing this a few years ago. Based on the reviews it looks like nothing has changed that would alter my opinion.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 18, 2017

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Proteus Jones posted:

How does it compare to Duet? I use my iPad Pro at times with my rMBP and Duet has been fantastic for me and that's what I've been recommending. If this one is better feature or performance wise, I may give it go.

E: Eh, it's free right now, so I snagged. Seeing as the reviews across "all versions" in the iTunes Store are overwhelmingly negative I'm not holding out much hope.

E2: Oh, poo poo wait I remember testing this a few years ago. Based on the reviews it looks like nothing has changed that would alter my opinion.

Duet's reliable, but needs a cable

iDisplay can be wired or wireless I think, but disables Aero on Win7, which blows because my work computers are all on 7.

Still, it's still pretty sweet for free, and is a great way to repurpose an old iDevice

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend email & calendar apps for Exchange, preferably one allows you to view Shared Calendars? So far, I haven't found one that allows viewing of them, unless I'm doing it wrong.

I'm trying to keep my work and personal email apps separate due to the amount of volume & notifications I'd receive. Currently, using Email and Fantastical 2, respectively.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

EconOutlines posted:

Can anyone recommend email & calendar apps for Exchange, preferably one allows you to view Shared Calendars? So far, I haven't found one that allows viewing of them, unless I'm doing it wrong.

I'm trying to keep my work and personal email apps separate due to the amount of volume & notifications I'd receive. Currently, using Email and Fantastical 2, respectively.

Outlook?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, Outlook would be my call also. I think MS added shared calendar support to Outlook on iOS a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It looks like Outlook will do for my phone, at least for the mail and accepting calendar invites.

As for Shared calendars, I meant common calendars which I can't seem to get the iOS version to show.

Like below in macOS, I added these Room calendars that we use to schedule/view events for each one. Anyone can add them in Windows/macOS Outlook, yet they don't appear in iOS calendars.

We're moving to using EventPro but who knows if the powers that be will keep this system up as well. I'll see if anyone in SH/SC knows of a work around for it or if just a funky thing with Exchange.