Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Binary Badger posted:

iFixit parts can vary in quality, sometimes they are pulls from other repairs, sometimes they're used-but-eh-tested-to-be-fine, other times they are pristine non-used parts sold off by AASPs who found out they didn't need them.

I'd be surprised that if you looked at the battery stats that there aren't at least a few dozen cycles used on that.

Yes, it's sad that people are now learning to fake Anker because it's a popular brand.

I can only speak for my experience but mine arrived with 2 battery cycles as recorded by coconut battery, and performs as well as the original (if not better, it was a long time ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Check that it's not swelling up and losing contact with the power pins.

Seconding this. You can check if it's swelling by opening the bottom. It's a bit annoying, since there's a number of screws, but that way you can tell right away if it's swelling or not. If it is, I'd replace it no matter what Coconut Battery is telling you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The headphone jack on Macs is also a optical spdif port, so you can connect to an external Dac that way.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

The headphone jack on Macs is also a optical spdif port, so you can connect to an external Dac that way.

used to be that way. I don't know when they changed it but the new MBPs are analog only. :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

eames posted:

used to be that way. I don't know when they changed it but the new MBPs are analog only. :(

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I guess you can still use a USB DAC, which is perfectly fine if you aren't a sperglord.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eames posted:

This is a good change; getting it stuck on digital mode which turns off the built-in speakers is the worst.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arivia posted:

This is a good change; getting it stuck on digital mode which turns off the built-in speakers is the worst.

I'm teaching a music course group using 2012 MBPs at the moment and one of them has this problem, it's infuriating.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arivia posted:

The noise that came out of my 2010 iMac through analog was unbearable. I've never heard something with such bad SNR. It had to have been an issue with just my machine and not the model as a whole, but thank god for that digital out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Coming up decade old MBP still kickin'

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Nipples posted:

That sucks and is weird. Did FedEx kick it down a stairwell for you?
I think it was a manufacturing defect. The bottom case latch doesn't close, meaning you can peak into the machine. Not that good for thermal efficiency I assume ... either way, I returned and reordered it, and I'll probably only be 1 month late ...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

Coming up decade old MBP still kickin'

Seriously these machines easily last 8-10 years, I don't get people upgrading every 3 unless they buy poverty spec. My '09 Mac Pro will easily see me for another few years barring a catastrophic hardware failure. My brother is still rocking his '06 white MacBook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Theophany posted:

My brother is still rocking his '06 white MacBook.
That hasn't had OS support in how long?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd stop using a machine after it stops getting software updates, or at least stop using it for any network related tasks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not sure, in fairness he uses it for real basic stuff. Word, iTunes, web that's about it. At a guess I'd say probably when they started naming the OS after national park mountains.

E: still is his main computer though. Got an SSD in it and upgraded the RAM so it's not horrific.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Theophany posted:

My brother is still rocking his '06 white MacBook.

I gotta ask how many topcase replacements that thing has had by now...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Evis posted:

I'd stop using a machine after it stops getting software updates, or at least stop using it for any network related tasks.

This is what sucks rear end about Apple right now, the fact that the inability for users to upgrade their hardware means that getting cut off from software updates is basically arbitrary. I'm convinced the only reason my 5,1 is getting High Sierra is because they backtracked on the future of the Mac Pro, but it'll definitely be cut off from whatever the next iteration of MacOS is despite the fact it'll handle it easily.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EL BROMANCE posted:

I gotta ask how many topcase replacements that thing has had by now...

Honestly none. It looks like absolute poo poo, but the plastic has not broken at all. Scratched to hell though.

E: lol he's using an 11 year old laptop, you think he's going to pay for a top case replacement? He's tight as gently caress when it comes to spending on computers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's pretty impressive given those things were made of really strong dust. I remember being mortified the day mine started getting tears in it, until I realized it was free replacement time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's pretty impressive given those things were made of really strong dust. I remember being mortified the day mine started getting tears in it, until I realized it was free replacement time.

Am I imagining it or we're the earlier ones made from a better polycarbonate than the later ones? His is the earlier design, not the last iteration that was a bit slimmer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Theophany posted:

Seriously these machines easily last 8-10 years, I don't get people upgrading every 3 unless they buy poverty spec. My '09 Mac Pro will easily see me for another few years barring a catastrophic hardware failure. My brother is still rocking his '06 white MacBook.

my macbook air '14 poors edition is the best laptop i've had since my 2010 mba. and I've been through a lot of laptops to try before going back.

I went: mba 2010 -> Dell Inspiron poo poo edition -> xps 15 -> xps 13 -> mba 14

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Also using a '14 MBA here. Still runs as well as the day I got it. I don't see myself upgrading until it's completely unsupported. Hell, at that point I might just install Ubuntu or something and keep the party going.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 12, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Weedle posted:

Also using a '14 MBA here. Still runs as well as the day I got it. I don't see myself upgrading until it's completely unsupported. Hell, at that point I might just install Ubuntu or something and keep the party going.

It's that drat screen. Retina screen or bust

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MBA would be perfectly serviceable for years to come if it had a 1080p IPS

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

MBA would be perfectly serviceable for years to come if it had a 2880x1800 RETINA

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Theophany posted:

This is what sucks rear end about Apple right now, the fact that the inability for users to upgrade their hardware means that getting cut off from software updates is basically arbitrary. I'm convinced the only reason my 5,1 is getting High Sierra is because they backtracked on the future of the Mac Pro, but it'll definitely be cut off from whatever the next iteration of MacOS is despite the fact it'll handle it easily.

Yeah, Apple hardware can last basically forever. I have a first-generation Mac Mini with a G4 in it (from 2005ish, I think?) that's still in use as a light-duty home server, running Debian.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Late 2013, 13" rMBP. i5/256gb/8gb with 160 cycles on the battery. $600. Is this a decent deal? I feel like I've heard about issues with the 2013 retina MacBook.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Check the screen for delamination, the free repair period is over afaik

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Late 2013, 13" rMBP. i5/256gb/8gb with 160 cycles on the battery. $600. Is this a decent deal? I feel like I've heard about issues with the 2013 retina MacBook.

That's about the right price.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Theophany posted:

Am I imagining it or we're the earlier ones made from a better polycarbonate than the later ones? His is the earlier design, not the last iteration that was a bit slimmer.

I think the later ones had a different issue, but I replaced my 2005 black book with a 2006 or 2007 MacBook and it definitely had the issue.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My Mid 2014 13" MBPr has developed some odd battery issues...

The battery will drop from 100% to 40% within 1.5 hours, but then the drop will slow considerably... at 5 hours I am finally at 9%.. But also during the time while its below 40%, the % will jump up and down wildly.. It just dropped to 9% from 15%, gave me a warning it would shutdown soon, and then jumped back up to 14. It will drop a few %, only to regain 2-3% a minute later and then repeat the process a few minutes later.

Is running laptop batteries all the way down and charging them back up to "calibrate" still a thing? Because that is what I am attempting to do now....

Is there something else I should reset?

Edit: OSX reports the battery at 91% health and 306 cycles.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 13, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Check the screen for delamination, the free repair period is over afaik

It ended last October but they extended it again although they aren't advertising it

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mu Zeta posted:

MBA would be perfectly serviceable for years to come if it had a 1080p IPS

Completely agree. I thought I needed retina for everything, I have a 15" rMBP for work. But I got a 14" 1080p Chromebook recently to gently caress around and it's really not bad at all. I thought the resolution would be too low (I can't stand MBA screens), but it's not! I'm finding myself using it on the couch a lot.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
17" MBP with 1920x1200 is all anyone really needs. Not too much, not too little. It's even pretty small for a 17" laptop.

My 2009 17" MBP will be getting APFS and High Sierra as soon as its out of beta.

Evis posted:

Well honestly Apple hasn't been too bad about that except for the PPC-Intel switch. El Captain latest release was on May 15, 2017. It's still supported by 10 year old:

MacBook Pro: 15-inch: Mid 2007 or newer
MacBook Pro: 17-inch: Late 2007 or newer
Mac Mini: Mid 2007 or newer

And then after that there's the unofficial hacky ways to get newer releases to run with pretty decent stability for at least a bit.

Theophany posted:

Seriously these machines easily last 8-10 years...

Not sure I would say easily. Kids using them in school will easily physically break them or make them god drat ugly with just 4 years of college and taking them out every day. Oh what horrible things I've seen on just 2 year old rMBPs. Kids be like "oh those big rear end corner dents? They normal. Everyone has them."

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 13, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Early 2006 MB_1.1 plastic 10.6
Late 2006 MB_2.1 plastic 10.11 :)

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 13, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's no specific UPS thread, so I guess this probably belongs here...

Is this 510w CyberPower unit generally going to be enough if all I need it to do is power down my Mac Mini and a few external HDDs (and most likely a NAS in the future) in event of an outage? I've had two notifications from my energy company this week that I'm going to lose power, and being in a bad weather part of the country it feels like a further layer would be useful (I have a surge protector on the panel itself at least).

Also, I read somewhere that in a PC BIOS it's possible to tell the UPS to bring the computer back online afterwards, but with Macs using EFI do we have an equivalent?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N18S/ref=twister_B007UL3ZEK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Early 2006 MB_1.1 plastic 10.6
Late 2006 MB_2.1 plastic 10.11 :)

Well, OS X 10.7.5 "Lion" without the hacks.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is this 510w CyberPower unit generally going to be enough if all I need it to do is power down my Mac Mini and a few external HDDs (and most likely a NAS in the future) in event of an outage? I've had two notifications from my energy company this week that I'm going to lose power, and being in a bad weather part of the country it feels like a further layer would be useful (I have a surge protector on the panel itself at least).

Also, I read somewhere that in a PC BIOS it's possible to tell the UPS to bring the computer back online afterwards, but with Macs using EFI do we have an equivalent?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N18S/ref=twister_B007UL3ZEK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use the 1500VA version of that and I'm quite happy with it. They must have gotten lots more expensive in the past couple years though because I'm pretty sure I paid $140 for mine.

It's going to last maybe 30-60 minutes depending on load; here in So Cal there's no weather to speak of (unless you count fire as weather) so I always just ride through the occasional five to ten minute power blip after some drunk motherfucker hits a power pole. But your Mac can shut itself down automatically if the power level of the UPS gets too low - there are a number of options you can set in the Energy Saver panel once you plug in the UPS USB cable.

I don't know if the UPS has a way to wake the computer (or if the "wake automatically after a power failure" setting in Energy Saver works after a UPS shutdown) because if you're using FileVault (as you should) waking the computer is pretty pointless if you're not around to log in. I've never bothered to try.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FileVault is the one that triggers a password request right at the very beginning on reboot, yeah? I've got that set on my laptop but not the mini. I probably should get around to sorting it, it's a fairly new build still. It'd be nice to have background services up and running after reboot mind, but for data protection it's useful.

Yeah the prices go up and down all the time, the 1350 was on sale for the price of that 850 during prime Day but I'd rather keep costs to less than 100 ideally. Safe shutdown is my priority rather than elongated battery use, so sounds good!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

EL BROMANCE posted:

To just do a power down after like a minute, 510w is fine, just make sure it's actually hooked up and recognised by the mac (ie: yank the power cable of the UPS to test) so shutdown actually works.

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Start up automatically after power failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure I would say easily. Kids using them in school will easily physically break them or make them god drat ugly with just 4 years of college and taking them out every day. Oh what horrible things I've seen on just 2 year old rMBPs. Kids be like "oh those big rear end corner dents? They normal. Everyone has them."

You're right and I should've qualified that assertion as being a goon posting in a techie thread, so my experience is not representative of the majority of users. But if you look after your poo poo, it will easily last that long. I was running my 2002 TiBook as recently as 3 years ago as my lounge surfing book and sure, it wasn't quick, but it ran some rad PPC optimised software that mitigated that to a degree.

But then I'm the same with my cars, my phones, my tablets, clothes, furniture, everything. Look after your stuff and it'll last much longer generally speaking. In the nearly 3 years I've had my iPhone 6 Plus, my girlfriend has either lost or broken 2 of hers and lost an iPhone I lent her to tide her over between one repair incident (an immaculate iPhone 4S I'd had since launch day, for added irony).