Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Despite trying to avoid the Vardrag with the Angelwing, the Vardrag show up to "help" with this mission and make the scan a right pain to complete if you want to complete all the secondaries.

Fun fact, you do actually fail the mission if you get the Angelwing blown up by the base.
Even if the camera is already doing its zoom out thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

You have a small amount of time to run over there with the angelwing and scan it.

So what does it say if it is scanned? Anything on our "Allies" the vardrags? Having never seen this game before I'm betting they are up to no good, they know too much.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I love how Cromwell is just dripping with sarcasm during the cutscene when talking about Vice Rear Glorious Supreme Leader Admiral Norbank.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ldragon posted:

So what does it say if it is scanned? Anything on our "Allies" the vardrags? Having never seen this game before I'm betting they are up to no good, they know too much.

"Sir, the Vardrags were right! The reverse negative power coupling is leaking...blah blah"

I think it was actually played in the clip--just got it as plot instead of from the scan.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

OAquinas posted:

"Sir, the Vardrags were right! The reverse negative power coupling is leaking...blah blah"

I think it was actually played in the clip--just got it as plot instead of from the scan.

Yeah. A thing in this game is that plot stuff doesn't happen until the relevant talky bit plays.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I just finished this game, and I have to say, I've had to repeat the game from the first "getting the angelwing" mission a few times because of improperly equipping my ships and having only so much I can change before a mission is annoying. Also gently caress not being able to tell your ships to stop shooting at the disabled ships because they explode violently and often take mission critical ships with them in the blastwave.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You can tell them to stop, you just have to do it manually. Either turn off the gun or force target something else and they'll ignore the disabled ship.

Super annoying tbh

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

First Blood - Part 10

Slaan posted:

You can tell them to stop, you just have to do it manually. Either turn off the gun or force target something else and they'll ignore the disabled ship.

Super annoying tbh

Use Defensive or Focused stance. In Defensive, they prefer not to fire at non-threats. In Focused, they only do what you tell them to do.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You know, for a 'civilization' founded by a group of scientists and military personnel the Noah Defense Forces show an astonishing lack of decorum and professionalism. Maybe with an idiot like Norbank in charge all the poor behaviour is beginning to bleed out. Though as a rear admiral there's clearly others above him who are probably just as bad considering they'd tolerate him.

Also, not sure if you're joking or not but a 'putz' is someone who is clumsy or stupid (or both). I figured it would be a fairly universal term but I guess not.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Norbank is basically a blustering idiot. Thing is, the Vardrags like bluster because it sounds good and they're apparently suckers for it, so he was given a cushy back-line command to keep them happy (since they build all the toys for Noah Colony). That the Noah system developed a back-door wormhole actually put him in meaningful command of ships in combat, which he's so far used to destroy 4 battleships under his command.

There's an interesting convo seen in the "disable the freighter" mission where if you try to follow the destroyers instead of staying by the freighter they go "look, I know you want to be in the thick of things but unofficially we'd really love to see you tweak Norbank's nose by succeeding in your mission, so please go back"

As for the rest, most of Noah were frozen embryos, who were thawed and raised to be shock troops for an alien race. Decorum was probably not the primary focus of their education.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 10, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or just start hitting the next target. Though they can be annoying at not focusing down the primary target as much as you'd like.

They dynamicness of missions is why I prefer to run mixed loadouts on all my ships. Sometimes you just need a laser. And shield/hull destruction is always useful.

Also you forgot to cut out the retooling of your ships.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The worst part was seeing the name Colossus on one of the Battleships that Supreme Grand Rear Vice Admiral whats-his-face was using.

I knew then that it was a dead ship flying. :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

berryjon posted:

The worst part was seeing the name Colossus on one of the Battleships that Supreme Grand Rear Vice Admiral whats-his-face was using.

I knew then that it was a dead ship flying. :(

Colossus was the support ship. Not one of the Battleships Norbank got smashed up

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

I just wanted to remark that you did not, in fact, cut back to when you were finished replacing the weaponry on your ships.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Aumanor posted:

I just wanted to remark that you did not, in fact, cut back to when you were finished replacing the weaponry on your ships.

I'll be wholly honest with you, there were three failed takes in that recording session and I retooled between each one trying to get a good composition, the last one must've slipped me. I'll probably throw up an annotation and re-up a private version for the OP and archive.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Veloxyll posted:

Colossus was the support ship. Not one of the Battleships Norbank got smashed up

Oh good! I got that one wrong. drat memory playing tricks on me.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
What happens if the Brutus and/or Sparta die in the mission but you still complete your objectives?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mighty Steed posted:

What happens if the Brutus and/or Sparta die in the mission but you still complete your objectives?

You don't get them back as I understand, once a ship that is yours is dead, it's dead. I'm mistaken I guess?
This is a very short game.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 11, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Mighty Steed posted:

You get the Brutus A and Sparta A for the next mission. If at least 50% of your old crew successfully evacuates, you retain your crew experience. Otherwise you start with rookies.

Just don't ask me, how far the alphabetical naming goes. Is there a Sparta Z?

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 11, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

OutofSight posted:

You get the Brutus A and Sparta A for the next mission. If at least 50% of your old crew successfully evecuates, you retain your crew experience. Otherwise you start with rookies.

Just don't ask me, how far the alphabetical naming goes. Is there a Sparta Z?

Not enough missions in the game to iterate that far.

I lost my Brutus, Sparta survived, and I have yet to get it replaced 3 missions later. Another iteration I lost both and got the Brutus A the next mission. You eventually get replacements, but how fast (like with a lot of things in this game) seems inconsistent.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I lost the Angelwing too many times in this mission. The heavy cruiser has two plasma cannons and two torpedo launchers, and will just murder you once your shields drop.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

VKing posted:

I lost the Angelwing too many times in this mission. The heavy cruiser has two plasma cannons and two torpedo launchers, and will just murder you once your shields drop.

This mission sold me on my shiny laser destroyer duo, Brutus and Sparta. They can't hurt you or flee, if you destroyed their weapon generator and main drive. Big ships in tight formation with two flaks each are the bane of bomber tactics. Shoot down the flaks and then bring your angry bee swarm in.
GG Space Admiral Herp.
They may be not gunships, but are far more durable than the small craft. Give them the special evasion drive and allocate 150% energy for ship drives. Done. You will dance around like a tipsy eldar against that wannabe Klingon space orks.

Tactical errors of the NDF command structure aside, i am greatly enjoying the lp, Herp.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OutofSight posted:

tipsy eldar against that wannabe Klingon space orks.

The issue here is that Orks, even wannabe Orks, are better than Eldar. I will never, never, do anything Eldar related again.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Interesting game.
Related to part 10, while the game never says it in the objectives, the loss of the Angelwing is always a failure condition. Similarly, earlier on, the loss of the Stiletto is an instant failure condition as well. Basically, if you lose your command ship, you lose the fight. I guess because, unlike say Gothic, you actually are in the middle of the fight directing it, instead of some kind of nebulous force controlling your ships from safety.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The issue here is that Orks, even wannabe Orks, are better than Eldar. I will never, never, do anything Eldar related again.

Your single most successful battle of the entire BFG LP was the Edlar fleet demonstration were you picked a random tiny boat, bullshitted about it and then utterly murdered the enemy fleet in record time with minimal losses while completely confused at how things were going.

You're good at Eldaring.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Herp still cannot get over this game not allowing ramming.

What is even the point!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
A future without giant spaceship ramming is not a future I want to live in! :argh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Could you imagine this game, with Norbank, and ramming being an option?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Save the Scout - Part 11

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell - 04/09/2112 posted:

What, a personal message? Here? How the hell? From Daryl Sanderson? But this is my private terminal! How did she get in? What do you mean she hacked through the firewall? Forget it, forget it - show me!

Hmm... Daryl Sanderson... another Noah colonist who is worthy of attention. She is an astonishing woman, every man's dream and nightmare in one... she is hot, spirited, smart... and unbelievably loud-mouthed. Martial discipline is only a rope for her on which to balance... I think she would have fallen much sooner if her exceptional technical expertise did not protect her. Anyway, I like her as she is... that might change if she gets assigned under my command. Her heart's in the right place... her brain too, and her breasts... just once, I'd like to hear what she really thinks about Norbank... especially now, after his second ugly defeat. He is unbelievable... he manages to present massive failures as heroic escapes, and blames every mistake on his subordinates. His self-confidence is bullet proof... I envy him for that. As a matter of fact, he's exactly the kind of soldier we need in our battle against the Gorgs... though a little more thinking wouldn't go astray. The Gorgs are good fighters. They're tough, explosive, ambitious - but hardly stupid. I have to admit, I like their style... they are worthy adversaries, although their obsession with honour makes it difficult to take them seriously sometimes. I'll have to watch that - Norbank failed to take the Gorgs seriously, and look what happened to him!

Personal Log of Marcus Cromwell - 06/09/2112 posted:

Well, at least I can't say that I'm bored... ever since we got through the Alpha Gate I've been wide-eyed, staring at dials and viewscreens. No sooner have I taken in one amazing sight than the next spectacle confronts me. I thought the Martian War was a challenge... I was mistaken. Never have I carried such as huge burden. But part of me loves the grandeur of it all... I'd rather be here than on the sidelines.

Another day, another riddle: The Ghosts... fantastic company. They seem like they're everywhere, but they only appear when they choose to... they're real phantoms. Their abilities are like magic - they seem impossible... but then, there were lots of things I thought were impossible that I now know to be commonplace. The Ghosts know everything - they're full of information... even though they keep the bulk of it to themselves. How they gather all that data, I cannot even imagine. I would pay a high price to stand face to face with one of them.

Sweetwater, Commander.

Dream... pulsating life everywhere in the whirling mist... emotions and thoughts... wisdom, carefulness, curiosity... and fear. Chemicals running through my veins, slowly, yet impatiently growing organs deep down between my very own cells... passing and resurrection... the gate of wisdom and death.... the infinite space... alien cells, alien thoughts, alien desires... they touch me, grasp me, inspect and transform me... a past falling into the distance... fading memories... calming swell... tranquillity... solitude...

She is our liason officer with the Ghosts. She is the only person from a human fleet who has been granted permission to meet the Ghosts face-to-face. Why the Ghosts chose her is almost as much of a mystery as the Ghosts themselves.

Sweetwater is currently working on a human camouflage device project, based upon the principles of Ghost biotechnology. Her research is in its final phases now; this campaign will put it to the test. Disaster struck when the Poltergeist, a Destroyer equipped with the camouflage device, was damaged by a missile detonating in its vicinity. The crew was rescued and Commander Sweetwater was transferred to the Angelwing.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 12, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Wrong link, goes to pt 9. Probably want this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVz1psu_54

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Wrong link, goes to pt 9. Probably want this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVz1psu_54

Thanks, I knew I'd cock something up again.

E:

OAquinas posted:

You probably want to replace your SpaceTech™ ECM and sensors with the Adv Sensors and "Standard" ECM if you have the chance. Not much difference, but Resource Points don't carry over so may as well opt for incremental improvements. Also plasma battery cells--twice as good as electron ones.

Really? I swear I remember the resource points carrying over, but I guess the consistently round numbers indicate otherwise.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

All good.
You probably want to replace your SpaceTech™ ECM and sensors with the Adv Sensors and "Standard" ECM if you have the chance. Not much difference, but Resource Points don't carry over so may as well opt for incremental improvements. Also plasma battery cells--twice as good as electron ones.

The worst part about the next mission is that the key part about it is on an invisible (ha!) timer. At least it immediately tells you if you're about to insta-fail so you can reload.

Between that diary and the next mission dialogue, Cromwell definitely has a bit of a chauvinist streak in him. Probably more of a sign of "this game was written in 2003" than anything else.

Edit: I haven't seen anything to indicate that RP do carry. The game is pretty pointedly opaque when it comes to how many you get. Can probably test this easily enough with the "save the scout" mission--it's a very easy one as long as the scout isn't killed off quickly (which can happen if you get screwed with their starting positions).

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 12, 2017

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

While the interface is very pretty is doesn't really make clear what is active, what isn't and what is activating.

Very pretty shades of blue however.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

SIGSEGV posted:

While the interface is very pretty is doesn't really make clear what is active, what isn't and what is activating.

Very pretty shades of blue however.

Actually, it does, though it is subtle. Inactive weapons are dull grey text. Active weapons are white text. Weapons are grouped in two columns, and charge is indicated by a light blue fill that starts from the center and builds to the outside. Shields use the same system, only their charge builds from left to right and the shield kicks back on at around ~35-40% charge. Active equipment (engines, ECM, etc) is either "on" or "off" in terms of appearing like weapons (either dark blue/grey text or light blue and white text).

Really could be more obvious--especially when you're toggling between 5 ships to prefire heavy weapons during a pause and there's no charge built yet--but you can get used to it. Also not terribly obvious how much ammunition you have left if you're using missiles/torps--that's on a separate panel entirely.

Edit:

Just tested RP carryover. 10 RP in the mission after "Save the scout" in my "spend it all" playthrough. Loaded the previous autosave and left 5 RP unspent. Played through, and I got...10 RP to refit. So zero carryover.

Smoke em if ya got em!

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 13, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Good to see this game being LP'ed! I loved this game back when I first stumbled upon it: I had just finished Homeworld: Cataclysm, and was searching for a similar game. Luckily my local video rental had Nexus lying around in its garbage bin of rejected games. (They'd always put games and videos they'd sorted out into a huge bin to sell them. I got Nexus for like 5 bucks.) Had a lot of fun with it, even though I never finished it. And then I couldn't get it to work again on my new computer, so that was it. Until I got it again on a Steam-sale for like 3 bucks!

Hopefully your LP will animate me to finally go through it again. This game deserves better than just to sit abandoned in my Steam-library.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This next mission is what killed my playthrough of this game. It is nonsense.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I remember the next mission: while the idea is interesting, I recall the execution was not very good. Still I did manage to eventually get through after a few attempts, but it was a bit of a low point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sneaking - Part 12

This is the longest video so far, and yet it's also the video I cut the most out of. Yeah.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thats the point where I gave up and looked up an FAQ.

Go to first radiation point, wait for cloak to cooldown, go to second radiation point, wait for cloak to cooldown, put aux power to engines and hurf durf it straight to the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

To be fair, the mission practically tells you this by itself. There are two nav points that are red, just go to those and occasionally click others to swing up down left and right. Wish it was better communicated.

• Locked thread