Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Phi230 posted:

Jon poops on the floor

Crowd goes wild

RIP string belwas

Stringer Bellwas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The draft thing skipped my second pick! :mad:

Edit: nevermind, it's fine.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I enjoy this show because I really like seeing your mom's tits

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I will be personally outraged if at least one person doesn't hang dong this season

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That Bronn pick at #4 ahahahahhahahahaha

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zotix posted:

That Bronn pick at #4 ahahahahhahahahaha

I can't believe Jon Snow fell down to 7. You fools.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Eh Jon's gonna get some kills, but I don't see him doing much outside of that. Dude doesn't drink, doesn't gently caress, his politicking is poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zotix posted:

Eh Jon's gonna get some kills, but I don't see him doing much outside of that. Dude doesn't drink, doesn't gently caress, his politicking is poo poo.

He could pound Kelly C by the finale.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I hope Ed Sheeran gets killed.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So It Goes posted:

In terms of the dialogue and plot of show only "talky" content, I feel like it's been one third good, one third competent, one third terrible. It's definitely worse than older seasons but not by that much IMO. I expect the last two seasons to be better cause of the increased production time meaning they won't have rush jobs like Dorne and they can maybe edit a script.

I think it's especially frustrating because of that split. A lot of it is passable or even really well-done, and sometimes it's like they just don't give a poo poo. Like the Blackfish just says "Oh, I guess I'll just suicide into these guards, take care Sansa!" when it would have been so easy to just write in a quick scene where he sacrifices himself for them, and make way more sense. Or how Arya needs to get stabbed and fall into a filthy river and then somehow miraculously survive, when they could have written virtually any other fight scene that left her with believable wounds. I know watching any sort of fantasy show requires some sort of suspension of disbelief, but it feels like they're making their viewers handwave away way too many idiot things that they could have easily written their way out of. And you WANT to do it, because a lot of it is a really fun fantasy show, but it grates on you.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hanales posted:

Just lol if you think 6 seasons of those books could ever be compelling in any way. Not that much really happens in them, there is tons of filler and plot lines that go nowhere.

At the end of it we still wouldn't have winds. Im fine with the direction they took, ups and downs and all.

Yup. by the end of s4 it was obvious the showrunners were slamming on the breaks to give GRRM some headroom and he...released a new chapter. It's why almost all of s5 sucked and s6 was so much better because they strongarmed him finally into giving the overarching plots so they could just make their show and be done with it the way they wanted (since the other way was 3 decades out apparently).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yup. by the end of s4 it was obvious the showrunners were slamming on the breaks to give GRRM some headroom and he...released a new chapter. It's why almost all of s5 sucked and s6 was so much better because they strongarmed him finally into giving the overarching plots so they could just make their show and be done with it the way they wanted (since the other way was 3 decades out apparently).

I think that if they had known winds wasn't coming, purple wedding/tyrion's trial would have been season 3/beginning of season 4 and we would have never seen even less Dorne.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Blackfish scene screamed "We wrote this episode for Blackfish to escape with Brienne, but the actor's too busy to be a semi-regular next year."

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Lycus posted:

The Blackfish scene screamed "We wrote this episode for Blackfish to escape with Brienne, but the actor's too busy to be a semi-regular next year."

That's what I thought, too. It would've been cool to see him slash through some wights. :sigh:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Season 7 - The Battle for Head Bitch

Finally... let's do this.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I'm pretty sure the Blackfish actor couldn't be arsed to learn how to fight without it looking lovely so just died off screen. Like the complete opposite of what happened to Selmy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I know he joked in an interview that he was thankful for not having to go through choreography training at his age.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll also be honest and say that even if I hated the hell out of the show (which I don't) I would keep watching just for Peter Dinklage. I can't think of a thing he has been in where I thought 'Peter Dinklage made this worse' or he was just neutral or whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zotix posted:

According to the rules, all drinks are assumed to be alcohol unless explicitly shown otherwise. Jon drinks from various tankards/flasks/skins a lot, that all counts unless it's shown/explained that it's only water.

Also, his gently caress percentage and deals making is probably going to go up uP UP!

Also, you get points for house words, and I'm sure Jon is going to say "Winter is coming" a few times.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WampaLord posted:

Also, you get points for house words, and I'm sure Jon is going to say "Winter is coming" a few times.

But his house words are "Fire and Blood" not "Winter is Coming".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GaussianCopula posted:

But his house words are "Fire and Blood" not "Winter is Coming".

"Anime Winter is Blood"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Fire is Coming should be Book-Dany's words.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lycus posted:

Fire is Coming should be Book-Dany's words.

"Fire is Coming

Aaaaaaaany minute now

Fire's on it's way

Yep"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Winter is cumming fire and blood

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Fire is Coming and It Won't Stop

Oh God I Shouldn't Have Eaten Those Qarthian Chilis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Season 6 was good. Season 5 was the peak of Dorne, and Littlefinger just doing completely pointless and random poo poo which viewers were supposed to watch and think "this guy is insanely smart and clever". I hope the spoiler of Sansa cutting his head off is true.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Season 6 was good. Season 5 was the peak of Dorne, and Littlefinger just doing completely pointless and random poo poo which viewers were supposed to watch and think "this guy is insanely smart and clever". I hope the spoiler of Sansa cutting his head off is true.

Six was wildly uneven. There were a whole bunch of bad scenes and bad arcs that felt rushed and unearned (Dany and the Dothraki; everything with Dorne; Arya and the waif fight; that awful bit with Sandor and the Brotherhood), but in the way of spectacle, you couldn't beat it - the Battle of Mereen, the Battle of the Bastards, and the explosion in the Sept.

I think that's the biggest difference between seasons 1-4 and the rest: acting and writing carried the early show, because they didn't have the budget for anything crazy. Now they have the budget, but not the acting and writing, so everything feels unearned. Christopher Orr covers it pretty well here, I think:

The Atlantic posted:

Like so much this season (and to a lesser degree, last), the Frey murder seemed all payoff with almost no meaningful buildup. Likewise, Dany’s burning down of the khalar vezhven back in episode four, though also terrifically satisfying, raised as many questions as it answered. (Did no one notice that the entire floor was covered in oil?) Compare any of these developments with the meticulous setup of, say, the Purple Wedding—the introduction of foolish Ser Dontos, far, far in advance, for instance, and the presentation of the poison-amethyst necklace—and the contrast is striking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/06/how-game-of-thrones-became-a-different-show/489305/

But all that said, I mean, I'm still watching the thing. I'm exhausted with it in a lot of ways and I'm not excited about it like I used to be, but when it's good, it's really good.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

3Romeo posted:

Six was wildly uneven. There were a whole bunch of bad scenes and bad arcs that felt rushed and unearned (Dany and the Dothraki; everything with Dorne; Arya and the waif fight; that awful bit with Sandor and the Brotherhood), but in the way of spectacle, you couldn't beat it - the Battle of Mereen, the Battle of the Bastards, and the explosion in the Sept.

I thought all the Sandor bits were pretty decent.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

SimonCat posted:

I thought all the Sandor bits were pretty decent.

When he was hanging out with Ian McShane was great. The bit with him and Thoros, when they're bickering over how many of the ex-BwoB to kill, came off as really weird and atonal, and the dialogue was atrocious.

"gently caress you."
"Those are your last words? Come on, you can do better."
"oval office!"
"You're poo poo at dying, you know that?"

I mean, that's dialogue you can use anywhere on anyone. It doesn't have any weight or any tie to the story. "gently caress the King" was earned. "What the gently caress's a Lommy" was a part of the story. "If any more words coming pouring out of your oval office mouth, I'm going to have to eat every loving chicken in this room" was built on scene and setting. "You're poo poo at dying" is lazy writing. It's what you put in as placeholder until you can think of something better, only nobody did.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 11, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Sandor + Arya bits in the books are so great. Though I guess really all of Arya's bits until she goes to Braavos are really well.

Also some of the best bits in the show of course, including the original show material.

I don't recall thinking that Arya's faceless chapters were awful but the terrible show version really made me hate the whole assassin training bit, I guess it just sucks that she just becomes a super powered ninja and seemingly doesn't have to pay any sort of personal price for it. Hopefully in the books the faceless will be a more important entity that has some bearing on the endgame and we'll learn that everything that happened with Arya was a part of their scheme because the show version where they're just a bunch of dummies who happen to be able to change faces is not very satisfying.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Assassin terminator was pretty bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Max posted:

This was at least set up to be what happened in her arc, although I didn't like the execution at all either.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Arya Durden would have been so much cooler

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IRQ posted:

This was at least set up to be what happened in her arc, although I didn't like the execution at all either.

Yeah it was one of those things that on paper could have worked but in the end it just didn't make much sense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Arya Durden would have been so much cooler

Arya Durden would've been the only thing dumber than what we got, by far.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Another thing that bothered me about the writing is that they started having every other character say "gently caress" all the time, I can't remember that word at all in the books as all the slang and vernacular terms were kind of off as if to give the impression they developed differently. But then a few seasons a go it was all "gently caress this .... gently caress that..."

I'm not a prude and I could be wrong about this but it kinda annoys me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Thanks to some saintly Reddit poster I don't need to count it up myself to tell you that there are 144 instances of the word "gently caress" in ASOIAF.

I will agree that the general tone of dialogue has gotten more "modernized" as the show progresses though. We're not quite in "he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system", what-the-gently caress-were-they-thinking territory yet but it's definitely heading that direction.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The vernacular of the show has never been as old-timey as the books (per usual in all medieval and pseudo-medieval shows and movies). It's different when you have to have real people delivering lines.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Gurm changine Sir to Ser is literary masterwork. A true Shakespeare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Max posted:

It probably wasn't their goal but I could not stop laughing at this.

• Locked thread