Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Garfu posted:

I got it to run by just downloading the launcher and installing it to a fresh D2 install directory.

I played it for about 5 minutes though until I realized the item customization was 1/100th of ES and ES4lyfe

yeh but :rip: ES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
hell yeah ES owns

Not to denigrate the dev team and their efforts but Median's selling points seem to be flashy visuals and "ohh it can get SO DIFFICULT" Its just too divergent from the vanilla experience...the easiest way to get into it is to never have played D2 at all IMO.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Garfu posted:

I got it to run by just downloading the launcher and installing it to a fresh D2 install directory.

I played it for about 5 minutes though until I realized the item customization was 1/100th of ES and ES4lyfe

thats the reason I like it, the insanity of crafting items is not why I play these games I'd rather rely on RNG to get good drops (or some recipes to help correct RNG), not full crafting of gear. The inventory management is some of the worst aspects of these types of games for me. It offers some interesting content especially once you start getting into ubers especially this release which was finally able to remove the invuln shields that were previously used.

Having new skills (separated into 6 distinct sets of 5 per character) definitely draws me in to. My current character is a SpearZon who uses a Phys -> Magic skill which releases weird rear end spirit vultures from an enemy I hit with it. I also use blood orbs dropped by another skill to heal and can run over orbs dropped by my main skill to gain fury which gives my skill a AoE boost.

It also has a decently straightforward path to upgrade with the tiered unique system. Once you get near the end game there is also crafting if you are inclined to create more specific gear.

downsides are, no stockers and it does have some of the inventory management issues all modded D2 uses.

Kerpeth
Oct 13, 2011
If anyone is starting fresh I have 4 so far if you want to join. We are about level 7.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Kerpeth posted:

If anyone is starting fresh I have 4 so far if you want to join. We are about level 7.

I'm willing to join up whether it be vanilla Diablo 2 or modded. Also another quick question, if I were to be playing a modded Diablo 2 game from a launcher and want to play back to vanilla, do I have to reinstall the game in order to get all the modded stuff out first?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know the following things about Leap Attack:

When you attack a guy within your weapon range, you do not leap, but you do or do not spend mana, and you do or do not get Leap Attack AR and Damage?

Does faster attack speed matter at all when using it?

I think I'd like a gimmick leap barbarian to play but I don't know if he wants to use long range slow spears or what.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Does anyone know the following things about Leap Attack:

When you attack a guy within your weapon range, you do not leap, but you do or do not spend mana, and you do or do not get Leap Attack AR and Damage?

Does faster attack speed matter at all when using it?

I think I'd like a gimmick leap barbarian to play but I don't know if he wants to use long range slow spears or what.
If you don't leap you don't leap attack. It just does a normal auto attack without leaping. Use hold position hotkey and it will always leap.

It's not very viable.

You can cheese some stuff by using normal leap to get it to a wall, use the hold position+leap attack to spam it with next to no travel time, and then it dies if it's a single thing. You can also use things like taunt or the fear shout whose name escapes me to isolate single dudes? But this sounds really gimmicky when all the good builds just murder a man instantly.

Normal leap is real fun with a group. In classic it's pretty common to max it because barb just uses BO and find item. It doesn't do damage, but it's fun.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 22, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm not mistaken there's a sort of Leap (not Leap Attack) build where you spam it and the "flinch" animation it triggers can act as a perma-stun, but it's a group-oriented build since you won't be dealing any damage yourself.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help, guys. Leap Support barb is also a very interesting tack to take but I'll do LA first. I understand its low viability but sometimes I like taking gimmicks up through Nightmare mode.

Do you know if Attack Speed matters at all for LA? My guess is no or effectively no, because even if it does matter it is not a big factor compared to the air time, so your attacks are slow no matter what, but if it technically makes the hit come out faster I'd like to know. Also what's this about hold position to always leap? As simple as it sounds, just "press the hold still button and you'll leap?"

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
You used to make Goldfind Barbs that used leap. You'd do Act 3 Travincal Runs using all goldfind equipment and spamming leap while your mercenary killed everything. You'd be able to get 1m+ gold a run, the main problem was you could only hold like 2m worth at a time (increased per level). Gold was mostly used for gambling, you could sell it on the d2jsp forums for forum gold but most of the time I'd use it myself. There was a hack program called RedVex that had a plugin that would keep gambled items unidentified (they normally identify on gamble). I'd gamble a ton of circlets and druid helms and sell the unidentified ones on the forums for alot of fg. People would pay alot for them because of the microscopic chance that they'd be good, and they were the best in slot if they had the right stats on them.

I think increased attack speed improved the amount of frames between landing your leap and the attack itself, but obviously it is minor because the leap action is so much longer than the attack action.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I feel very, very stupid here but I can't get my barbarian to always Leap Attack even fooling around with the hold position key. What am I missing?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

^^^ Not sure - I think it's part of the shittiness of the skill.

I saw that the ladder reset again a few weeks ago, and I started a new character on USWest because gently caress it, that's where I live and no one else plays anymore. There are not many people, of course, but there is NO spam. Regular bots are still around making chant games and baal runs, but no ads at all. It's pretty nice - hope it lasts.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So I installed D2 LOD after countless years, loaded characters who are also that old and patched it to the most recent version. Picked my lvl 52 Barb... probably the first time since I finished the game on Nightmare with him and opened Hell.

I can't get out of the camp! I literally can't kill a single imp or zombie without going through healing potions. My Barb has crap eq and crap skills too so I wasn't expecting to just waltz to Act V but this is unplayable.

Were mobs patched to be so strong sometimes in the last decade? I had finished Hell with assassin and necro and I don't remember that the change from Nightmare to Hell was so drastic. Should I go to an earlier patch?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

I can't get out of the camp! I literally can't kill a single imp or zombie without going through healing potions. My Barb has crap eq and crap skills too so I wasn't expecting to just waltz to Act V but this is unplayable.

Were mobs patched to be so strong sometimes in the last decade? I had finished Hell with assassin and necro and I don't remember that the change from Nightmare to Hell was so drastic. Should I go to an earlier patch?

Yea, most of the tweaks made in patches in recent years make the game more difficult rather than easier.

Loading up on resistance charms could be a temporary stopgap to make the game more playable. Also, rings/weapons with life leaching.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Level 52 just is outright too low for Hell difficulty (and is less than ideal for the final areas on Nightmare too). Even the humble zombies and fallen have monster levels in the high 60s there, which is doing you absolutely no favours in terms of hitting and being hit by them.

I'd recommend staying in Act V on Nightmare and gaining more levels. I seem to remember that Baal runs could easily take you to 70+; that might not be an option for you but could be worth a try anyway, even if you have to fight your way through the Worldstone Keep yourself.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm considering downgrading. I don't connect to battle.net so I should be able to do whatever I want locally. What patch would you recommend?

My pet project is to complete the game on Hell with all characters. I won't cheat but at the same time I don't feel like working extra hard just because at some point Blizzard arbitrarily decided to make the mobs much stronger.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

52 has always been pretty low for hell, especially with a Barb. It's not just that your level is low, it's that you haven't ran Meph/Baal for loot either.

The jump from NM to Hell has always been a steep one. Much more steep than normal to NM.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm considering downgrading. I don't connect to battle.net so I should be able to do whatever I want locally. What patch would you recommend?

My pet project is to complete the game on Hell with all characters. I won't cheat but at the same time I don't feel like working extra hard just because at some point Blizzard arbitrarily decided to make the mobs much stronger.

Patch 1.10 was the one that increased monster difficulty but it also added synergies which are a major buff to player characters.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.10_(Diablo_II)

Completing the game in single-player on Hell with all characters is a surprisingly difficult task and I would suggest looking up some character guides to help you instead of reverting to a previous patch. Playing a Barbarian isn't helping you either since they've always been extremely gear dependent and slow.

Edit: IMO take a break from the barb and try playing through the game as a sorceress, trap assassin, elemental druid, or necro while following a guide. Those are by far the easiest and fastest classes to solo with. From there you can make an educated decision about how much work that was and how much time you want to dedicate to this game. I'm not convinced lowering the version will give any noticeable difference in difficulty.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Doctor Malaver posted:

Just level up more. Patching down the game version is working harder than just playing the game.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Cheers guys. I won't go back to necro or assassin because I'm done with them, but I picked my 34 lvl Paladin. He has good equipment for his level and he's just starting NM. It goes like a breeze.

BTW have sounds been updated too? I don't recall zombies going "braaains" or fallen calling me rear end in a top hat.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Zombies groan and fallen sound like the Jawas from Star Wars - pretty sure they don't say actual words though.

I definitely recommend patching up to 1.14 (I think that's what the most recent one is). They added the ability to respec your character as a quest reward and increased the drop rates a bit on rare runes. You probably still won't find one playing solo, but it would actually be possible compared to the old drop rates.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Fallen shout their leaders' names (Rakanichu! Bee-shee-bosh!) and what sounds like but is not entirely 'rear end in a top hat' and 'bitch'. That's always been like that.

But zombies are now definitely saying 'braaains' and I think that's new.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 6, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is a purely fire elemental sorceress even a viable build? I know that it would face the same immunity woes that other elements do and need Lower Resistance charges or a mercenary carrying Infinity to break through fire immunity, but can the build deal enough damage even after all that?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Assuming you can pierce immunities when it matters, yeah a fire sorceress would deal plenty of damage. From what I remember the fire tree has +damage synergies out the rear end.

I have hazy memories of reading about "unbreakable" immunities once you get into Hell difficulty but it's been so long since I was that serious about D2 that I can't say whether or not that's a thing with any confidence.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If a monster's resistance to a given element is high enough then Conviction/Lower Resist can't drop it to below 100% and the monster remains immune. That absolutely is a thing, although to which extent (especially as pertains to fire) I don't remember.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fire is also one of the most common immunities. A fire build can put out enough damage to be viable, but unless you're with a group or are farming a specific spot that doesn't have fire immunes, you need a way to deal with immunes. This is usually done with an investment into Frozen Orb, since it's one of the few skills that can output decent damage without needing lots of synergies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fire is also one of the most common immunities. A fire build can put out enough damage to be viable, but unless you're with a group or are farming a specific spot that doesn't have fire immunes, you need a way to deal with immunes. This is usually done with an investment into Frozen Orb, since it's one of the few skills that can output decent damage without needing lots of synergies.

Hence the MeteorOrb build.

I think I'll just stick with lightning.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Star Man posted:

Hence the MeteorOrb build.

I think I'll just stick with lightning.

I always found Fireball to be a lot more dps than Meteor once you had some FCR.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

soscannonballs posted:

I always found Fireball to be a lot more dps than Meteor once you had some FCR.

Yeah, on my "meteorb" sorc by the time I was finishing Hell difficulty I was getting a lot more mileage out of Fireball than I was Meteor. Luckily, they synergize each other :v:

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

If a monster's resistance to a given element is high enough then Conviction/Lower Resist can't drop it to below 100% and the monster remains immune. That absolutely is a thing, although to which extent (especially as pertains to fire) I don't remember.

To expand on this, if a monster is immune (i.e. 110 resistance for example) to something, skills like Lower Resist and Conviction work at only 1/5th of their value on it.

In this case, a Lower Resist curse with -40 all res would only cut 8 from the monster's immunity, leaving it at 102, i.e. still immune.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I just made my first meteorb sorc because I knew Infinity was far, far away. It's not that great - I like it better than a blizzard sorc but that's about all. When I do get Infinity, I'm going to respec back to fire to give it a shot (currently using lightning+frozen orb but it's not much better) because those fireballs really are no joke. Lit sorc with Infinity is still the best, though.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gaggins posted:

I just made my first meteorb sorc because I knew Infinity was far, far away. It's not that great - I like it better than a blizzard sorc but that's about all. When I do get Infinity, I'm going to respec back to fire to give it a shot (currently using lightning+frozen orb but it's not much better) because those fireballs really are no joke. Lit sorc with Infinity is still the best, though.
Try Blizz+Nova

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=53828922&f=87

You can ignore the ES stuff. I use that build early season while playing legit and also while botting. It's good with poo poo gear and it scales reasonably well (math wise, arguably almost as well as lightning until you start getting into super nerd gear) with infinity. It does take mana pots so if you don't like those then sorry. It's also pretty solid with just insight on merc which is fun and good in my opinion.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

So I haven't played in a long, long time but this game is still hella good and fun. After two weeks I built up enough wealth were I can start making my stupid invincible smiter again so all is good :kimchi:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm watching a hardcore stream where the gimmick is that everyone has to wear stuff that procs frost nova when they are hit.

https://www.twitch.tv/alarashade

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

>try to type "its"
>typo "ist"
>think about runes and reinstall d2

Khorne
May 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

>try to type "its"
>typo "ist"
>think about runes and reinstall d2
jah ist bertir tal pulel than think.

Trying to writ english with rune names is hard.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I reinstalled and am playing as a bowazon on US east. I blame Mr Llama for getting me back into it. Any tips on low level rune gear? I never seriously tried to make runewords or other gear and am trying this go around. I just made myself a Stealth to help with mana etc but not sure what else to do with low runes or how to trade up for sol etc.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wtftastic posted:

I reinstalled and am playing as a bowazon on US east. I blame Mr Llama for getting me back into it. Any tips on low level rune gear? I never seriously tried to make runewords or other gear and am trying this go around. I just made myself a Stealth to help with mana etc but not sure what else to do with low runes or how to trade up for sol etc.
Tal+Eth in armor is amazing for everyone.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Khorne posted:

Tal+Eth in armor is amazing for everyone.

Agreement box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-2/diablo-2-warcraft-3-remaster-blizzcon

quote:

Diablo 2 is different. There isn’t a tournament scene to worry about, but there are leaderboards and they are packed with hackers on a regular basis. “With Diablo [2] the big one is the botters and the spamming is out of control, [people asking] could we please fix that. Keep rolling seasons but maybe eventually be good enough at combating them that you see real names at the top of the leaderboard again.”

So kinda cross posting from the W3 thread, but Blizzards wants to crackdown on the cheaters in multiplayer before moving forward with a D2 remaster.