Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Junior Jr. posted:

So keep mining until august and settle down for about a week and a half? Got it.

Or give up on this bullshit mining fad

I've been following the Siacoin dev and even they decided GPU/CPU mining is dumb as heck, basically due to a 51% attack vulnerability takeover risk

https://blog.sia.tech/choosing-asics-for-sia-b318505b5b51

They are going to go with ASICs which are also really dumb for many reasons, mainly the huge costs in electricity and pollution and waste.

This GPU mining thing is a fad Imo, so get your free crypto burritos while you can. Or maybe hold some ETH so you can maybe buy a Lamborghini in 2022, who the gently caress knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Just go to college and get a job.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

Just go to college and get a job.

No I want to play video games and sit at home but also be rich

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

I did this on a whim on my laptop.

It was a loving mistake.

(If I was de-lidding a CPU I would absolutely use the liquid metal, but in any situation where there's a chance it can get elsewhere? Nah. Not at all worth. Even for CPUs, it's the same price to just buy from Silicon Lottery in the first place and have them do it vs buying the tools and supplies to de-lid your own).

Liquid Metal for thin laptops with pascal cards is definitely worth the effort. You just have to be super careful with doing it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Doesn't liquid metal also dry out pretty quickly and needs to be reapplied on like a yearly basis too?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Or give up on this bullshit mining fad

I've been following the Siacoin dev and even they decided GPU/CPU mining is dumb as heck, basically due to a 51% attack vulnerability takeover risk

https://blog.sia.tech/choosing-asics-for-sia-b318505b5b51

They are going to go with ASICs which are also really dumb for many reasons, mainly the huge costs in electricity and pollution and waste.

This GPU mining thing is a fad Imo, so get your free crypto burritos while you can. Or maybe hold some ETH so you can maybe buy a Lamborghini in 2022, who the gently caress knows!

Also there was that malware virus that targeted newer ASIC miners (I think Antminers S5, S7, and above) so they hack into your mining pool account to different bitcoin addresses, don't know if that's been resolved yet though the virus has been a little while.

Besides, even if you somehow have the cash to afford an S5 or S7, don't even bother...not even the used ones on eBay.

No I want to play video games and sit at home but also be rich

-Every goddamn youtube/twitch streamer ever

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 10, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'm strongly skeptical that liquid metal is really gonna be a huge difference on a GPU vs any good paste. I bet if you replace the stock poo poo with NT-H1 or something you'll see gains too.

Well I'm gonna guinea pig it up for you all. The results I saw were compelling though if they were sponsored videos they were very much pretending like they were not.

I'm personally not worried about those pins, though it should be a concern in general. I've worked with this stuff enough and checked long term performance (and whether if it leaks around or not) where I'm confident I'm not gonna get anywhere near those pins. It's much harder on some delidded CPU's, the pins are practically touching the die itself and its still relatively easy if you're careful about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFKNTES5zc

There were a couple Pascal vids, there are some that didnt work much at all (FE) and some that worked much better

edit: it also helps that I already know and have data on what paste does on like the last 15 gpus, including at least the 1080 I currently have (which was about 0 degrees or within the margin of error, whereas other cards particularly Kepler cards could get almost 15 degrees from paste alone but its completely brand dependent and card specific even). I should have lead in with the fact I'm a GPU repasting whore and I used to beg people to do the same here so this is well within my comfort zone

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

Doesn't liquid metal also dry out pretty quickly and needs to be reapplied on like a yearly basis too?

I'm not sure about that, but I started getting GPU crashes a few days after re-pasting my laptop. Opened it back up and found a miniscule drop had migrated out from the GPU and was resting against the side of one of the memory chips. I was able to extract it with some compressed air and alcohol wipes, and haven't seen a crash for a while while stress testing my GPU's vram, so I might have lucked out, but yikes.
I'd taped off the non-die area for GPU and CPU of course, but I guess that's not really a great guarantee in a laptop that might not always sit flat and move around to any degree. It was annoying enough that I really wouldn't want to use it in any use case where it would be at all possible for the liquid metal to come back in to contact with anything sensitive, aka outside of an IHS that you re-seal after re-pasting.

Maybe that's a problem down to how I applied it? Possible, but given the alternative of a typical good paste that isn't conductive like arctic MX4 or w/e that can't gently caress up your stuff, I just don't see the point in risking it.

e:

1gnoirents posted:

Well I'm gonna guinea pig it up for you all. The results I saw were compelling though if they were sponsored videos they were very much pretending like they were not.

I'm personally not worried about those pins, though it should be a concern in general. I've worked with this stuff enough and checked long term performance (and whether if it leaks around or not) where I'm confident I'm not gonna get anywhere near those pins. It's much harder on some delidded CPU's, the pins are practically touching the die itself and its still relatively easy if you're careful about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFKNTES5zc

There were a couple Pascal vids, there are some that didnt work much at all (FE) and some that worked much better

edit: it also helps that I already know and have data on what paste does on like the last 15 gpus, including at least the 1080 I currently have (which was about 0 degrees or within the margin of error, whereas other cards particularly Kepler cards could get almost 15 degrees from paste alone but its completely brand dependent and card specific even). I should have lead in with the fact I'm a GPU repasting whore and I used to beg people to do the same here so this is well within my comfort zone

I would absolutely look in to some way to seal off your GPU die to prevent any of the liquid metal from escaping. IIRC, the desktop cards usually have a shim around the edge of the chip to keep you from crushing the die, so that might serve well enough in terms of maintaining a good seal with the heatsink to keep it from moving at all. Laptop GPU/CPUs don't have the same shim, so stuff can just go wherever.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 10, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not sure about that, but I started getting GPU crashes a few days after re-pasting my laptop. Opened it back up and found a miniscule drop had migrated out from the GPU and was resting against the side of one of the memory chips. I was able to extract it with some compressed air and alcohol wipes, and haven't seen a crash for a while while stress testing my GPU's vram, so I might have lucked out, but yikes.
I'd taped off the non-die area for GPU and CPU of course, but I guess that's not really a great guarantee in a laptop that might not always sit flat and move around to any degree. It was annoying enough that I really wouldn't want to use it in any use case where it would be at all possible for the liquid metal to come back in to contact with anything sensitive, aka outside of an IHS that you re-seal after re-pasting.

Maybe that's a problem down to how I applied it? Possible, but given the alternative of a typical good paste that isn't conductive like arctic MX4 or w/e that can't gently caress up your stuff, I just don't see the point in risking it.

e:

I would absolutely look in to some way to seal off your GPU die to prevent any of the liquid metal from escaping. IIRC, the desktop cards usually have a shim around the edge of the chip to keep you from crushing the die, so that might serve well enough in terms of maintaining a good seal with the heatsink to keep it from moving at all. Laptop GPU/CPUs don't have the same shim, so stuff can just go wherever.

In the past I've used a non conductive paste on the pins to protect from leakage (and nail polish though that isn't as clean as I thought it'd be), I may as well do that here but for real the pins are really far on these... if I remember. I've decided to do this to the 1080 right now after I get a few baseline temps.

Also I just realized all I've got left is the pastey style of coollabratory stuff on hand so while I might lose some sick gainZ, it is practically foolproof. I am very interested if it has effect on this 1080 because I know there is zero effect with regular paste on this particular card (Gigabyte G1) for certain, which is actually a trend I've seen with Gigabyte cards in general (970, 980, 1070, 1080). Frankly it probably won't do much or anything but I am interested to find out.

The EVGA 1080ti SC2 ICX has so far been untouched so I'll go ahead and do good regular paste then the CLU afterwards. In all likelihood the difference in performance gains will show that it is indeed not worth going liquid metal based but I'm interested to see.

I just realized this is the crypto thread but if I get anything neat results wise I'll crosspost

edit: in progress!

fun fact, teamviewer does not play well with 3dmark or heaven so I had to find a monitor and do it old school :|

edit:

Well I got some baselines however my CLU is simply too old to trust imo. I see some separation. I have some thermal grizzly coming on Wednesday so I'll take it up again then. But, I'm glad in a way, I want to use more "legitimate" stuff anyway

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

An eBay listing for a reasonably priced 1060 posted:

** MORE LISTINGS COMING! RX480's, 1060's, GPU PSU's, Misc Components **

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Finally pulled the pin on my 2 1080tis mining as its down so far that after elec i hardly break even , fun while it lasted

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
My 1070 was at 2.35 this morning and was at 1.80ish when I got home. Rest in piss, mining.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah time to consider selling my cards soon while they're still worth something.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

:stare:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

to the moon

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apparently Eth hit a milestone wherein the difficulty jumps significantly. You'd think increased difficulty would proportionally increase the value of your workload, but it's not keeping pace because every available GPU in the retail channel for weeks going to this task causes that task to eventually become less and less valuable.

Let's look at some Reddit posters who will remain nameless:

quote:

Just saw this today.... not feeling very good... gently caress

quote:

I already stopped. End of the road folks.

Guys trying to sell used GPUs at above-MSRP rates are hoping that people will keep trying to squeeze blood from the stone for a few more weeks at least, with the biggest dump likely being however long it takes for people buying hardware right now to realize how badly they hosed up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I genuinely don't know if I should fix the OP to say "yeah you aren't gonna break even don't even bother" or just let it sit as is and watch the results :magical:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'll give you guys $10 for a RX 480 or 580. $20 for a 1060, $30 for a 1070, $40 for a 1080, $50 for a 1080Ti. Don't think about it too long, prices are dropping fast!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.techspot.com/news/70061-two-banks-australia-have-successfully-used-blockchain-their.html

Did something good come out of the rise of Bitcoin?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For future reference, as of right now cheapest on the market:

1080 Ti is $699
1080 is $545
1070 is $485
1060 6Gig is $328
480/580 is $399

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cygni posted:

For future reference, as of right now cheapest on the market:

1080 Ti is $699
1080 is $545
1070 is $485
1060 6Gig is $328
480/580 is $399

New or used? I don't even know anymore

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Apparently Eth hit a milestone wherein the difficulty jumps significantly. You'd think increased difficulty would proportionally increase the value of your workload, but it's not keeping pace because every available GPU in the retail channel for weeks going to this task causes that task to eventually become less and less valuable.

Let's look at some Reddit posters who will remain nameless:

Guys trying to sell used GPUs at above-MSRP rates are hoping that people will keep trying to squeeze blood from the stone for a few more weeks at least, with the biggest dump likely being however long it takes for people buying hardware right now to realize how badly they hosed up.

haha ok so thats whats going on. I noticed the instant it happened

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New or used? I don't even know anymore

New, just using PCPartPicker, which I know isnt 100% but its easy

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still making 3.70 on my 1080ti, I will probably stop when it goes below 3. Without the dual miner I would have stopped days ago im sure

Wealth beyond measure

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cashed out and bought GTA V.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how many is that in burritos

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I've had like 10 GPU burritos so far, definitely been eating more burritos lately.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm tapping out on my 1060, got one last $30 payout. Gyft wasn't working so I used egifter and was easy peezy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I guess even the Chinese money washing machines can stomach crypto for so much?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Been following this thread for the sake of comedy, since mining crazes always end in drama and sadness.

Also, I've been looking to purchase a 1080 Ti to actually game with, so when is my best bet? Buy used? Wait a bit until prices get lower or start hunting right now?

eames
May 9, 2009

It seems like there's quite a bit of pent up demand for Nvidia cards so I don't expect the giant crash that we anticipated.
Prices will probably correct a bit but I doubt we'll see big bargains like the last time people sold off their GPUs. RX480/RX580s on the other hand...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EconOutlines posted:

Been following this thread for the sake of comedy, since mining crazes always end in drama and sadness.

Also, I've been looking to purchase a 1080 Ti to actually game with, so when is my best bet? Buy used? Wait a bit until prices get lower or start hunting right now?

you wont find any as they are actually good for things besides mining and hold value. You may find some moderately discounted 1070s but I wouldn't expect anything less than $350 for awhile as they are actually in demand by gamers. The 1060s to a lesser degree and 580s will probably attempt to sell for above retail as they have been, followed by a panicked race to the bottom as they compete with the actual big miners dumping 100 at a time for 50% off

I look forward to grabbing some 1060 6gb strix cards

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The 4GB AMD cards are most likely to crash in price first since they will soon be pretty useless for mining Eth, that's why I sold mine off already a couple weeks back.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Now only $2/day on 1070 before power.

Can you smell the tide of used cards yet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Short answer: no

Long answer: They're using IBM's Blockchain service. They use write-only distributed databases, a technology that was around and in-use a long time before Bitcoin came along. If you've ever used git then you've used something akin to IBM's Blockchain.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Eagerly awaiting a cheap used video card to replace my ancient GTX 760. Are Craigslist and eBay still my best bet to find one in a few weeks?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

so are the suicide hotlines being posted on /r/ethereum yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Butt Discussin posted:

Eagerly awaiting a cheap used video card to replace my ancient GTX 760. Are Craigslist and eBay still my best bet to find one in a few weeks?

SA Mart tends to work out

• Locked thread