Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Don`t edit my posts because I make a joke about girls who can`t park their spaceships manually.
I don`t care for your feminist`s telling me how to talk. Bull. I can make jokes about men I will make jokes about women too.

We`re getting tired of you feminists and idiot mangina bs for wimmins. Learn to take a joke.

And if you bann me that just proves my point of where society is going. You feminists wreck our games just as you`re slowly wrecking society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chrysophylax posted:

Don`t edit my posts because I make a joke about girls who can`t park their spaceships manually.
I don`t care for your feminist`s telling me how to talk. Bull. I can make jokes about men I will make jokes about women too.

We`re getting tired of you feminists and idiot mangina bs for wimmins. Learn to take a joke.

And if you bann me that just proves my point of where society is going. You feminists wreck our games just as you`re slowly wrecking society.

haha source ur quotes nerd

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is this what they mean when they talk about space madness?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...eships-manually

It got nuked instantly, at least

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

John F Bennett posted:

Is this what they mean when they talk about space madness?

Nah. That's just plain old broke-brains. It happens without the influence of space.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Elite: Dangerous is filled with a large number of Nazis

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yes they are members of the Empire. Their callsign is flying an Imperial ship, usually a Clipper or Cutter.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Thanks for the write-up!

But is it actually fun? Because that still sounds like a shitton of effort. I already met Farseer, but the meta-alloys are not for sale anymore these days so I would have to farm them.

And my Asp with a jump drive of 35ly range should be enough to reach everything, right? Because I enjoy exploring so I don't really want to get there faster, because there isn't really a 'there'.

The first time I went to the engineer I already had enough materials for three rolls of the level 1 FSD upgrade, and this got my Diamondback from ~35 to ~40ly range which I was pretty happy with tbh.
I'm not sure I can bring myself to grind out the materials for the next levels though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mike the TV posted:

Yes they are members of the Empire. Their callsign is flying an Imperial ship, usually a Clipper or Cutter.

No, like actual Nazis.

Adle's Armada? This is their original group and name. They had to change it for E:D for obvious reasons.

And some dude named Stellar Aryan is taking over Space Poultry.

So when you see posts like "Don't you feminism me, get back in th kitchens!" it isn't really surprising.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Gaming is filled with a large number of fucktards

Fixed that for you

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mu77ley posted:

Fixed that for you

Yeah probably.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Mu77ley posted:

Fixed that for you

You can generalise further.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do I just scan and kill baddies free-agent style to bump my rank up enough to take on missions where my rank is too low?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Feenix posted:

Do I just scan and kill baddies free-agent style to bump my rank up enough to take on missions where my rank is too low?

Turning in bounties gets you rep with the faction who issued the bounty, so yes. That's definitely one way to get rep. Or you can haul in freight. The profit you make translates to reputation with the controlling faction you sold it to. Same goes for combat bonds and exploration data.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Dirty Frank posted:

You can generalise further.

Sturgeon's Law

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry, I meant specifically for taking kill-a-dude missions. Sounds like I just do bounties till I rank up from Harmless. Thanks!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ElPez posted:

Sturgeon's Law

Its crud all the way down.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Feenix posted:

Sorry, I meant specifically for taking kill-a-dude missions. Sounds like I just do bounties till I rank up from Harmless. Thanks!
Combat rank gain is from killing ships at a higher rank than you so yeah, just keep shooting things and it'll go up on its own.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mercurius posted:

Combat rank gain is from killing ships at a higher rank than you so yeah, just keep shooting things and it'll go up on its own.

Also, don't worry about your combat rank. Your combat rank does not change what missions you can and cannot take (as of a few updates ago). All it does is change the type and loadout of ships that will spawn around you. As a side note it's also an incredibly tortuously, glacially slow grind to get to Elite combat rank. I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I'm at 7% Dangerous, and about half of my play is bounty hunting.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Feenix posted:

Oh. You mean combat rank? That's a whole other loving horrible thing. Each ship you kill has their own ranking, from novice up to elite. As you increase in rank, you stop getting XP for ships ranked too low. Where I am, the penultimate rank of Deadly, I need to kill approx 1800 points worth of ships, and the breakdown is as follows:

Harmless -> Competent: 0 points

Expert: 0.25 points
Master: 0.50 points
Dangerous: 0.75 points
Deadly: 1.00 points
Elite: 1.25 Points

Taking into account the distribution of NPC pilot rankings, it takes around 2400 valid ship kills to go from deadly to elite.

It is by far the most tedious ranking to grind up. Trading just requires you to make a billion credits in profit from selling commodities to stations, and Explorer just requires like 200 million cr worth of exploration data turned in. Being the stubborn rear end in a top hat I am, I'm insisting on ranking up my combat to elite before I hit elite on the other categories.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mike the TV posted:

Also, don't worry about your combat rank. Your combat rank does not change what missions you can and cannot take (as of a few updates ago). All it does is change the type and loadout of ships that will spawn around you. As a side note it's also an incredibly tortuously, glacially slow grind to get to Elite combat rank. I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I'm at 7% Dangerous, and about half of my play is bounty hunting.

I get missions on the mission board that say things like:
" go eliminate the pirate lord Han Solo!"

This mission requires "mostly harmless" and your rank is "harmless" (in red text) and it is under the "requirements not yet met..." section.

And the Accept button is red-ed out.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Oh. You mean combat rank? That's a whole other loving horrible thing. Each ship you kill has their own ranking, from novice up to elite. As you increase in rank, you stop getting XP for ships ranked too low. Where I am, the penultimate rank of Deadly, I need to kill approx 1800 points worth of ships, and the breakdown is as follows:

Harmless -> Competent: 0 points

Expert: 0.25 points
Master: 0.50 points
Dangerous: 0.75 points
Deadly: 1.00 points
Elite: 1.25 Points

Taking into account the distribution of NPC pilot rankings, it takes around 2400 valid ship kills to go from deadly to elite.

It is by far the most tedious ranking to grind up. Trading just requires you to make a billion credits in profit from selling commodities to stations, and Explorer just requires like 200 million cr worth of exploration data turned in. Being the stubborn rear end in a top hat I am, I'm insisting on ranking up my combat to elite before I hit elite on the other categories.

Supposedly the fastest way to rank up is to take an Anaconda or Cutter with turreted lasers and fall asleep in a Compromised Nav Beacon. You'll blow up enough Elite Sidewinders and Eagles while you take a nap to get higher rank than actively flying around in a HazRes.

Feenix posted:

This mission requires "mostly harmless" and your rank is "harmless" (in red text) and it is under the "requirements not yet met..." section.

Huh. They must have kept the requirement in for lower ranks. As a Dangerous pilot, I can absolutely take Deadly or Elite missions.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Mike the TV posted:

Huh. They must have kept the requirement in for lower ranks. As a Dangerous pilot, I can absolutely take Deadly or Elite missions.

To be fair a newbie in a sidey taking on an elite assassination mission is going to end up precisely one way, so probably for the best.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
My combat rank went up from 60 to 61 after shooting an ancient relic spire.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Feenix posted:

Are you also meeting the faction reputation requirements? I.e. Cordial / Friendly / Allied?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Feenix posted:

I'm pretty sure mostly harmless is above harmless on the harm scale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Back out to the mission list and see if that gives you a hint as to why it's in the "not available" category.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Back out to the mission list and see if that gives you a hint as to why it's in the "not available" category.

It is possible that it has a cargo reward and you don't have enough cargo space available.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
for wetwork missions should I be bringing the item that scans the ship for cargo and passengers? I had a mission drop me into a area with 4 ships labeled religious followers and my target was talking in local.

looked at the contacts and scanned the ships and it didn't let me know which ship he was in. I thought the game wanted me to do some detective work so I started shooting the only ship that was tied to the company my target worked for.

I destroyed the ship and got a bounty for murder. did not complete the quest. did I pick the right ship but I needed to scan first?

is that item better then the fsd interdictor for these types of missions? I've done a ton of assassin missions and they say to bring one but I've never used it.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Being the stubborn rear end in a top hat I am, I'm insisting on ranking up my combat to elite before I hit elite on the other categories.

:suicide:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu77ley posted:

Fixed that for you

No, these are literal, Hitler-worshipping, "Sieg Heil"-ing neonazis. They are attracted to space games for some reason and I would be upset about that except that adding them to the KOS list is easy content and (for the honest-griefers out there) the last unadultered forum for bullying people who deserve it without social consequences.

tl;dr - nazis are real and gently caress them to death

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

Fixed that for you

:thunk:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Hey, I'm 45% of the way there! :shepicide:

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

No, like actual Nazis.

Adle's Armada? This is their original group and name. They had to change it for E:D for obvious reasons.

And some dude named Stellar Aryan is taking over Space Poultry.

So when you see posts like "Don't you feminism me, get back in th kitchens!" it isn't really surprising.

Hahaha oh my god, this is like something you'd see in grognard discussion boards back in 2001 or so. It's true what they say about E:D being a dad game, isn't it?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

To be fair, ED forums is filled with absolutely the worst people I have ever seen on the internet. When powerplay was released there was a 50 page thread about how trans people weren't represented among powerplay leaders.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sekenr posted:

To be fair, ED forums is filled with absolutely the worst people I have ever seen on the internet. When powerplay was released there was a 50 page thread about how trans people weren't represented among powerplay leaders.

Well call me a pinko social justice warrior if you like, but I think Nazis are evil scum, and well meaning people concerned about trans representation are good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I made a thing

quote:

Everything’s an exploit
Everything’s a hack when you’re being a cheat
Everything’s an exploit
When you're playing in Elite

Everything is better when we hack together
Some have said you and I are gonna cheat forever
Let’s wing up forever
We're the same: I’m like you, you're like me
Assuming we’re instanced in harmony

Everything’s an exploit
Everything’s an exploit

Woo! 3, 2, 1, go!
Have you heard the news? Everyone rejoice
Life is good because of exploits
Failed a mission, there's a new opportunity
More free time for my exploit jejunity
I feel more hacky than a hacky Iraqi

Fly to Quince’s orbital beacon
With illegal passengers I’ll have to sneak in
Earning creds so maladroit, Everything’s an exploit
Suicide sidewind abuse
An exploit to win and an exploit to lose

Everything is better when we hack together
Some have said you and I are gonna cheat forever
Let’s wing up forever
We're the same: I’m like you, you're like me
Assuming we’re instanced in harmony

Everything’s an exploit
Everything’s an exploit

Menu swapping, mission stackings, we just named a few exploit things
Dismiss your ship, high waking
You know what's an exploit? Everything!
Slave trading, cop aiding
Pirate interdiction evading
Private groups affect BGS
Exploit items are the best

Diamonds, c-logs, they're exploits
Scans, plans, and bans, they're exploits
S, and R, and V, that's an exploit
Everything you see or think or say is an exploit

Everything’s an exploit
Everything’s an exploit

Not perfect, but I'm proud of it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

marktheando posted:

Well call me a pinko social justice warrior if you like, but I think Nazis are evil scum, and well meaning people concerned about trans representation are good.

I mean, 90% of me knows that Powerplay's lack of diversity is just Frontier's usual myoptic self. But 10% of me also notes how they're all murderous, power-mad demagogues and wants it to be on purpose.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Just pretend. The men can be women and vice versa. This would be in keeping with the entire game, you make your own fun.

Anyway how do we know none of them are trans. We don't get to see them nude. Or is that a special unlock at a high rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

alphabettitouretti posted:

Just pretend. The men can be women and vice versa. This would be in keeping with the entire game, you make your own fun.

Anyway how do we know none of them are trans. We don't get to see them nude. Or is that a special unlock at a high rank?

nude holo-mes confirmed next update

its what the grognards want right?

• Locked thread