Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SaltyJesus posted:

I think Adaptive Systems wrote at least one piece of genuinely great writing. I apologise for the length but we'd be remiss to talk about AS and not post this.

Ah, so AS never wrote anything worth reading. Thanks for clarifying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

du -hast posted:

Does anyone have a link to the thread that went something like a morbidly obese man took a bath with and/or bathed his kittens in it, then stepped on a kitten once getting out of the bath, crushing it to death.

There was a FYAD spinoff thread where the made fun of him about it and then his final post or something was like "Good by Mr. Buttons and PS FYAD are monsters" (might have been his custom title).

It was this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722973

the dude wasn't horrifically obese but it's fun to exaggerate because it's hard to believe someone could miss a small kitten crawling around at their feet

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

You actually thought this was good at one point?

I was 14 when I started reading these forums bra. Im 30 now.

Yeah, I and many people here liked his posting. It was something different from the pants making GBS threads posts.

Charles Bukowski has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Jul 11, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Goons Caring After Their Beloved Pets Megathread: Of Mice And Men Edition

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

I was 14 when I started reading these forums bra. Im 30 now.

this is worth remembering when reading archived threads from the turn of the century- like you'll read a post from a user you recognize and go 'wtf that post was terrible did a good poster really just post 'for the epic win' and then have five other posters non-emptyquote-but-p-much-emptyquote it', but then remember it was 15 loving years ago and while that poster might be like a teacher or engineer or elected official today, they were a teenager discovering how to online back then

I was 20 when I got a forums account, creeping up on 35 now, life comes at you at a rate of 1yr/yr

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Thats some deep wisdom man. We only got better (hopefully most of us). Not me though, I've never been a good poster. I think I've made 5 threads in my life and I'm pretty sure my first was 'Why do women only want platonic relationships with me.' Shameful. I would have given my 16 year old self a wedgie.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

No way that I'm going to read that poo poo. My eyes rolled in the back of my head once the Angela's Ashes Irish immigrant poo poo started
yeah that's the terrible embarassing thing about the angelic time boat I mentioned earlier

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some people just can't help rear end-tracing uphill.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I started here when I was 14 and it definitely affected the way I think. That said it was the best $10 I have ever spent, the amount of information and entertainment I've gotten out of these forums is worth every penny. Plus I've met some people IRL from this forum that live in LA; I even bought magic mushrooms from one of them :cool:

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722973

the dude wasn't horrifically obese but it's fun to exaggerate because it's hard to believe someone could miss a small kitten crawling around at their feet

Ok, moderately obese. And looks like the guy that you would call the cops on if he was around children at a park. Gonna see if I can find the FYAD thread because that poo poo was fantastic.I think it was called "Sorry my foot stepped down". Thanks for finding this one!

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Found it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724797

It's one of the best FYAD threads imvho after the one about the summer death camp with the zipline that hurls children into the ground at 60mph

edit: the avatar i mentioned:

And also the best quote from the thread imvho;

quote:

A cat fell off a three story building near me yesterday and was fine but that guy found their achilles heel: putting 390lbs of pressure directly to its baby neck while cartoonishly waving his arms, losing his balance but never quite falling down, and saying "whoa.. Whoaaaaa whoa whoa!"

du -hast has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jul 11, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ugh this is going to ruin my entire day. Pets dying just loving destroys me. I can't imagine living with that kind of guilt

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
"adaptive systems owns" - 2004

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah that's the terrible embarassing thing about the angelic time boat I mentioned earlier

It's a good post, but it is okay if you disagree

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I didn't read the thread but did anyone mention the thing with heeby gbs and uh, that other guy.

Their disses on each other had me in stitches. Especially the one where the one dude says he just made a new CD you gotta come over and check it out. He had a mirror or something hooked up to a ceiling fan with a laser but the fan had collapsed on him.

Those were amazing.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

syscall girl posted:

I didn't read the thread but did anyone mention the thing with heeby gbs and uh, that other guy.

Their disses on each other had me in stitches. Especially the one where the one dude says he just made a new CD you gotta come over and check it out. He had a mirror or something hooked up to a ceiling fan with a laser but the fan had collapsed on him.

Those were amazing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3212733&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SaltyJesus posted:

I think Adaptive Systems wrote at least one piece of genuinely great writing. I apologise for the length but we'd be remiss to talk about AS and not post this.
That was good until it got All Quiet on the Western Front about lost honor and chickenhawking.

Probably posted in here before, but one of my favorite Forums Creative Writing came out of Eripsa's attention economy thread, where some junkland scavenger is trying to dredge up Attention Creds and manages to watch two giant mechs destroy each other, their wealthy pilots going nuts the whole time.
Least of all because a crazy dystopian Battletech fight was more believable than Eripsa"s hare-brained scheme.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Those were amazing.
Infrateal, who was one of LF's better posters.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

du -hast posted:

"Sorry my foot stepped down".
Welp, sorry guys, killed another kitteh with a random movement of my body :sad sloth face:.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

syscall girl posted:

Those were amazing.

I still think about that thread and it's been 7 years. If you haven't already you should look at the Tiny John McCain and GEORGE BUSH IS GOING TO DO A TERRORISM threads. Old LF was the best

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did the Hulk Hogan meat shoes lose their celebrity branding after the whole Gawker thing?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

Did the Hulk Hogan meat shoes lose their celebrity branding after the whole Gawker thing?

The Hulkster dropping the big leg on Gawker should have made it even more popular!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Here it is, the best post in the best thread

Infrateal posted:

in world war I primitive tanks carried bundles of sticks on the front of their hulls which they dropped into trenches so they could cross them and the term for these objects is "fascines" but they could also be termed "enormous faggots" and basically if a wwI tank ever goes to mars and needs to cross the Valles Marineris it should strap heebie-gbs to the front of its hull

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I was just going to post that. Holy poo poo that was good.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

How did I miss this back in the day, holy poo poo

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I'm not a fan of it due to the term "human being" being used. I get that that's literally the entire joke, the two meanings of the word, but it's a bit much nowadays.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
What's funny is that a couple of years later, the same people posting in that LF thread started the great GBS leftism evangelization project, which lead to the end of GBS 1.0 a couple of years after that

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

What's funny is that a couple of years later, the same people posting in that LF thread started the great GBS leftism evangelization project, which lead to the end of GBS 1.0 a couple of years after that

What

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GBS at the time was Real Bad about not being like a proto-MRA forum so LF did a couple big effort threads to educate people on things like privilege or what is feminism

They were actually really good threads and anyone bemoaning GBS learning that racism still exists can eat poo poo

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

GBS at the time was Real Bad about not being like a proto-MRA forum so LF did a couple big effort threads to educate people on things like privilege or what is feminism

They were actually really good threads and anyone bemoaning GBS learning that racism still exists can eat poo poo

I remember one of this thread's iterations where people were talking about the Golden Age of GBS and then someone posted a few screenshots of threads and it was basically FYAD except not funny.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm not a fan of it due to the term "human being" being used. I get that that's literally the entire joke, the two meanings of the word, but it's a bit much nowadays.

This is a bad post.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That lead into gbs being super tumblr territory, with people being probated for not conforming, the super megathreads, and nothing funny allowed. That in turn lead to the collapse if gbs, and the declaration that there were no rules there for a couple years.

Gbs has had a wild time of massively changing moderation over the years.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

RFC2324 posted:

That lead into gbs being super tumblr territory, with people being probated for not conforming, the super megathreads, and nothing funny allowed. That in turn lead to the collapse if gbs, and the declaration that there were no rules there for a couple years.

Gbs has had a wild time of massively changing moderation over the years.

at least it only kinda sucks sometimes as opposed to sucking all the time deeply now.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think it was their attitude of "let's educate the wretched masses" that rubbed people the wrong way about it. Not the actual content of the threads so much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you can't be funny without calling people faggots and telling women to get back in the kitchen or whatever reddit bullshit everyone whines about being told not to do, you were never funny to begin with.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sneakyfrog posted:

at least it only kinda sucks sometimes as opposed to sucking all the time deeply now.

Right now is the most i have enjoyed gbs, tbh. I joined when it was hard core sjw, and the only think i ever liked about it was the tea party community thread (which didn't really fit in with the rest of the threads), and no rules made for people being edgy for the sake of being edgy, and dumb shock humor.

Geneaplicer did a great job, much as people talk poo poo. There are just a few lovely posters who should go (black baby goku for instance)

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
LF started out really good, and their effort threads in GBS were generally good and had a positive overall effect even now, but loosening the moderation in GBS was also for the best. Nuance!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I still unapologetically love the Infrateal Heebie-gbs thread though

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I never saw LF, but my favorite thing about it is that, now, +30 years later, whenever LF gets brought up, some of the most weirdly bizarre people will just materialize in order to have extremely limp-wristed on-line slap-fights with each other, that they seemingly wholly belive to be an important part of some kind of culture war.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

purple death ray posted:

Ugh this is going to ruin my entire day. Pets dying just loving destroys me. I can't imagine living with that kind of guilt

Same. I can't believe you people are laughing at a dead kitten. :cry:

I just read that thread for the first time and now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i honestly couldnt. i would just end up jabbing the "dont post here" button :smithfrog: