Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would recommend doing neither of those things and just using stuff you find because like, it's fine, at least as long as you're not in NG+. No idea where it really starts to matter. Only exception might be upgrading a few weapons with different elements so you can exploit weaknesses.

The assumption is that its all divine 150 set gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started playing this today and just finished the first mission/unlocked the map screen. I did a bit of multiplayer stuff and have a truckload of amrita to spend now.

Any tips for raising stats before I screw up my build? Is there a soft cap on things like in Dark Souls? Is it best to just dump everything into a single offensive stat for now?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can't really screw up your build in this, and respecs are cheap.

I recommend dipping into both magic and ninjutsu at least a little bit. This is the opposite of Dark Souls where you want a super specialized build. Here, you want to diversify and get a large tool kit that synergizes well.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Well, a bit of diversity is good, but you still don't want to do anything like raise all stats evenly for the most part :)

A bit of magic/ninjutsu for certain useful abilities like Sloth Talisman is generally a good idea regardless of build though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Monolith. posted:

The assumption is that its all divine 150 set gear.
Yeah but that guy seems to have been in the middle of his first playthrough, geez infer what I infer please!!!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Yeah, I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough, so divine gear is quite a ways off. I just finished the fight with the ninja toad.

Is there a guide for using the blacksmith? Other than selling gear, I'm never sure what else I could be or should be doing. Soul Matching was the thing I was trying for up until this point, but consensus seems to be to wait until the endgame or New Game Plus before you start doing Soul Matching. I never buy anything, and while I've broken down some of the excess gear for materials, I haven't really tried crafting anything.

I was also wondering about armor sets. I'm using the Red Demon armor (can't remember the exact name), but prior to that, I was using the Warrior of the West set. Both are exotic tier (the WotW set I think I got from trying to do a Twilight Mission). Some of the other armor sets seem to suited only if you're playing a ninja or mage, but I don't know anything else beyond that.

I have more questions, but I can't remember them all at the moment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
At least purple and blue stuff you might wanna break down instead of selling, you get materials that way. I did not use the blacksmith much at all in my playthrough. (Still haven't done any NG+ stuff myself, this was a looong game on its own.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you have the smithing text for a weaoon or armor, you can just craft new purple ones reasonble cheaply and at a relevant level.

I out 90% of rhe poo poo I pick up into the dissably grinder, and just craft my gear ever few levels. It's not expensive and keeps your gear all topped up.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Snak posted:

If you have the smithing text for a weaoon or armor, you can just craft new purple ones reasonble cheaply and at a relevant level.

I out 90% of rhe poo poo I pick up into the dissably grinder, and just craft my gear ever few levels. It's not expensive and keeps your gear all topped up.

I'm just not sure what the percentages at the top determined. I wondered if maybe you could use exotic tier materials exclusively, but still only get a lower tier item. I also wasn't sure which weapons to craft. It seems like you'd want to craft one that have elemental damage or that go with armor sets , as I don't see what benefit there is from crafting regular weapons.

Something else I thought of. I learned the other night that there are actually parry moves, but I was wondering how crucial they are to know. I'm having trouble getting the timing down (though the only two weapons I've tried it with are the sword and dual swords). It looks like there are videos online that demonstrate the timing, but I curious if it's something you have to master.

Also, what determines the sword ranking next to missions and revenants? Is it based on your level? I've noticed that the rankings for some of the earlier missions and a couple of the Twilight Missions only have one or two swords marked in the mission description. The only Twilight Mission I did (which I somehow managed to beat) was ranked at three swords, but I remember seeing some that were ranked at five swords. I figured with revenants, it was based on how well the player was doing before they died, and adjusted the AI accordingly, but I know I've fought some five sword revenants that didn't seem that hard. I was sort of curious if there was a way to see other players fighting revenants based on your character, or how your graves were graded.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The percentages are the chances of getting that rarity. So yes, you can spend all exotic mats and get a non exotic weapon, but it's so cheap it doesn't matter.

You can craft exotic mats from non exotic mats. In ng+, for soul matching purposes, I craft like 10 weapons in between every mission. I actually had to start selling high level mats because you can't store more than 500.

Obviously if you can't craft a weapon that suits your build, then you can't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A few points in ninjutsu has really helped me because some of the big annoying dudes get wrecked by poison and shurikens interrupt a surprising amount of boss attacks and give you openings for lots of damage.

I want to wait until I'm level 200 and respec into full Omnyo and do a playthrough like that, I think I could make it work.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how you define "full" Onmyo, but I'm heavily Onmyo and it just wrecks everything. Well, it wrecks all Yokai and Yokai bosses. Human bosses are more challenging.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that heavy Onmyo magic is the mark of a loser, fight like a man, not a sissy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not like I'm advocating ranged attacks.

The real lamo build is killing everything by throwing a hundred shurikens at it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Magus42 posted:

Well, a bit of diversity is good, but you still don't want to do anything like raise all stats evenly for the most part :)

This is literally what I did :downs:

I heard that if you did all the side missions you ended up overpowered in the late game, and since I wanted to do all the missions I countered this by matching all stats. I'm halfway through NG+ and only recently have I started to feel like my weapons are underpowered, and even then only on Twilight or challenge missions, regular levels are still pretty gravy. I think everything is at 25 right now.

Obviously you'll do MORE damage if you spec specifically to your weapons of choice, but at least in NG it's pretty much impossible to gently caress up your build to the point it would make the game noticeably harder.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As an aside, even with maxed stats the damage bonus you get isn't gamebreaking in and out of itself. Stuff like Ninjitsu and Omyo scaling goes completely mental, but actual weapons are fairly even. I think it's something like, what, 200 or so damage in total between maxed stats and average ones? Nothing to sneeze at certainly, but the be-all and end-all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
New DLC the 25th. New weapon is tonfa.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What the gently caress is a Tonfa

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It ain't reworked fists but eh close enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tonfa will be the poo poo. Better than fists imo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh man. I need to find a way to dress as Big Bad Bossman now

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I absolutely appreciate that Team Ninja is making it so that roughly half of the total weapons in the game will be carry overs from Ninja Gaiden II (Katana, Dual Swords, Kusari-Gama, and now Tonfa). That game's arsenal is one of the absolute best in character action games.

I'll admit, I was thinking Ninja claws or something like an extension of bare handed would be next, but this is even better. If they're sufficiently fast enough, I might have something to get me to swap out dual swords for this.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Tonfa surprises me. I went through the japanese martial arts around during the time Nioh is set, and all I could come up with was expanded unarmed (there were a lot of unarmed styles around during that time), claw weapons and (my personal favorite for the weirdness factor) police baton. There was a single-stick, police developed, anti-sword martial art around in 1600 japan that might make for a really interesting weapon. And not something you see in every game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Tonfa is a fuckin dope weapon, and I can't wait.

I hope it's real close-range and you get to punch with it a lot.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I imagine them having hard-hitting successive strikes balanced by having almost no range. Probably tied to skill. These weapons are gonna own bones for the "pop a carnage talisman and don't get hit" types.

Still have my fingers crossed for a kanabo. What else could we possibly get in the last DLC?

e. Also worth mentioning that Sanada Yukimura is traditionally a cross-spear user (and the Sanada clan bonus for jumonji spears in Nioh bears this out), so I expect his gear set bonus to reflect this.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 11, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Spears are missing a medium set right?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yesssss been waiting for the DLC 2 announcement to lure me back from the Bayonetta PC port. I think they hit on a really good setup with weapons' default movesets VS buying moves from the skill tree. My biggest complaint with Bayonetta is they dump all 50 punchkick combos on you right at the beginning. I'm on like chapter 8 and still have no idea what button combos correspond to what moves, Nioh seems much more manageable without feeling too limited.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Awesome on the announcement. Did they hint at a new difficulty or anything?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ArclightBorealis posted:

I absolutely appreciate that Team Ninja is making it so that roughly half of the total weapons in the game will be carry overs from Ninja Gaiden II (Katana, Dual Swords, Kusari-Gama, and now Tonfa). That game's arsenal is one of the absolute best in character action games.

I'll admit, I was thinking Ninja claws or something like an extension of bare handed would be next, but this is even better. If they're sufficiently fast enough, I might have something to get me to swap out dual swords for this.

Ya imo Ninja Gaiden II is among the best beat em ups right up there with Bayonetta, DMC.

Team Ninja always make games that feel great even though they mess up some other things.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Spears are missing a medium set right?

Yeah I think that's missing - Sanada's set seems like a no-brainer.

Related, I wonder if it's going to look any different from that lovely DLC set with Red of Devotion. The helmets looked the same.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Awesome on the announcement. Did they hint at a new difficulty or anything?
Here's most of the known details on the new DLC.
Yes.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
"Path of the Enlightenment?" If this mode comes with a higher equipment level cap and +modifiers then that will make it worth it. Way of the Demon became more enjoyable for me than I expected compared to Way of the Strong because the increase in loot levels helped keep the difficulty feeling manageable as i went along (except for Dragon of the North and the free post-patch missions). Though I hope they do something else unique with the enemies besides "have more buffs on top of your buffs."

Also this caught my attention regarding the Tonfa:

quote:

When a certain Tonfa skill is learned, William can do a special step when doing Ki Pulse, which as fewer gap than an ordinary Ki Pulse, allowing William to maintain close distance against his enemy.
If this is also going to include specific follow up attacks out of this special step, then this makes it sound like they're giving this version a form of "Heavenly Justice" from Ninja Gaiden II's Tonfa. For context, in NGII Heavenly Justice was a move that allowed you to cancel out of any ground combo into a dash with i-frames, and you could then use a contextual attack coming out of it or block cancel/dash again to start another ground combo chain. I somehow doubted they'd use that concept again since Ki Pulsing into a dash seemed like enough of a universal replacement, but this sounds like they're making sure this weapon has another trick to it besides rapid ki damage.

Either way, Tonfa hype!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tonfa seem really fleshed out. Wonder what this means for the final DLC's weapon - western style flintlock pistols? :v:

Awesome. Ninja builds probably broken as hell still, but it's fantastic they're continuing to support the game like this. Hopefully they'll just go all out like Diablo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just bought new DOOM so I'm ready for even more demon slaying action. These yokai are huge. That means they have huge guts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

poptart_fairy posted:

Tonfa seem really fleshed out. Wonder what this means for the final DLC's weapon - western style flintlock pistols? :v:

If the final weapon was "brace of pistols" I would not complain.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gently caress this game is good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So that's another Guardian Spirit from the main game we'll be getting in the DLC. Neat. Think Ouroboros will show up in DLC 3?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Well Tonfas sure look insane. All the cancels, all the dodges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I'm wondering is if this will be the one where Hanzo bites it. We already had a whole DLC about what great buddies he and William are, we've got his Guardian Spirit, and Hanzo Masanari did indeed die at Osaka, around the same time as Yukimura. Maybe Sasuke offs him?