Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

NoScope: 1000x Faster Deep Learning Queries over Video

quote:

Recent advances in deep learning enable automated analysis of this growing amount of video data, allowing us to query for objects of interest, detect unusual and abnormal events, and sift through lifetimes of video that no human would ever want to watch. However, these deep learning methods are extremely computationally expensive: state-of-the-art methods for object detection run at 10-80 frames per second on a state-of-the-art NVIDIA P100 GPU. This is fine for one video, but it is untenable for real deployments at scale; to put these computational overheads in context, it would cost over $5 billion USD in hardware alone to analyze all the CCTVs in the UK in real time.

To address this enormous gap between our ability to acquire video and the cost to analyze it, we’ve built a system called NoScope, which is able to process video feeds thousands of times faster compared to current methods. Our key insight is that video is highly redundant, containing a large amount of temporal locality (i.e., similarity in time) and spatial locality (i.e., similarity in appearance in a scene). To harness this locality, we designed NoScope from the ground up for the task of efficiently processing video streams. Employing a range of video-specific optimizations that exploit video locality dramatically reduces NoScope’s amount of computation over each frame—while still retaining high accuracy for common queries.

~o/ welcome to the machine /o~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ban this sick filth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol @ the idea of hand wringing over the government spending 5 bil

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

once it has full coverage they can call it 360 NoScope

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the third scope was called nonescope one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the revision was called scopio

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shaggar posted:

lol @ the idea of hand wringing over the government spending 5 bil

That's larger than the UK's budget for social housing and I think people care more about getting torched in their 22nd floor tenement than accelerating toward a singularity event that pits an advanced AI against humanity in a battle for survival

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

while this is the worst future it's also at the same time the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqibWHfn_Yc

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
watch_dogs 3 looking good

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

noscope activates the yolo engine and then streams the feed to the palantir for advanced processing before crossloading to the bumblehive to act as a control set for skynet drones

-a real thing that will happen lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

noscope activates the yolo engine and then streams the feed to the palantir for advanced processing before crossloading to the bumblehive to act as a control set for skynet drones

-a real thing that will happen lol

no scope

radio

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

flakeloaf posted:

no scope

radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEFIgSnS26M

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
now that we have tesla electric cars, soylent food replacement and a sinister military intelligence corporation called palantir, how long before we have literal skynet drones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hackbunny posted:

now that we have tesla electric cars, soylent food replacement and a sinister military intelligence corporation called palantir, how long before we have literal skynet drones

we do, they just don't fly over white people countries yet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

we do, they just don't fly over white people countries yet offically

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

we do, they just don't fly over and drop ordnance on white people countries yet

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

qirex posted:

we do, they just don't fly over white people countries yet

I mean how long until some tone deaf founder type starts an autonomous military vehicle company literally called skynet

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

hackbunny posted:

I mean how long until some tone deaf founder type starts an autonomous military vehicle company literally called skynet

I had to visit a MITRE building once that gave off a serious Cyberdyne vibe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is literally a real company named cyberdyne

They make a powered robotic exoskeleton called HAL

No I am not joking

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

There is literally a real company named cyberdyne

They make a powered robotic exoskeleton called HAL

No I am not joking

the uk had a satellite network (now defunct, iirc) called skynet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(satellite)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

this carpet is like that video where the lyrebird makes the sound of the chainsaws destroying its habitat

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can't believe some people use Amberpos even in the future

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

hackbunny posted:

the nsa runs a program called skynet that uses drone intelligence to monitor target movement and track data couriers who constantly swap phones/sims

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

NoneMoreNegative posted:

friggin sweet console

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

amber phosphor best phosphor

it's the color of my energy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

amber phosphor best phosphor

it's the color of my energy

you put a 311 song in my head and now i have all these feelings

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
:siren: gbs stole the thread :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826709

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

does anyone care tho?

pro tip: dont visit gbs at all ever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol the op there is a literal white supremacist

v gibsonian imho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol the op there is a literal white supremacist

v gibsonian imho

well there you go & also good lord

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/brucedaisley/status/885851540124299267

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Because clicking a guy's page on a sick day and reading "got soooooo hammered I should of not drinked" yourself is just so hard

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

why wont millenials go out to eat and drink more??

*boomer frantically wrings hands while refreshing facebook and twitter for beer pictures*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"man I love carpentry. hammered for hours on sunday night"

*gets fired*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

of course this happened
https://twitter.com/redteamwrangler/status/886533201644179456

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

see they can also use it to confirm that employees are cultural fits!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i have to think the drinking angle is a really weak way of pivoting away from being about applying machine learning to not hire women (or other poor culture fits)

the machine learning future is really freaking dreary, it will get used a ton to just institutionalize a lot of really bad ideas and opinions, enshrining them in machines where it will be far harder to (physically) assault

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

with some luck the pivot does mean that they have lawyers who think that the law would actually come down on arguments along the lines of "i didn't choose to deny this nice black gentleman a home loan, the ~~~perfect logical machine~~~ did" may at least not legally fly, though that will in practice help little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

with some luck the pivot does mean that they have lawyers who think that the law would actually come down on arguments along the lines of "i didn't choose to deny this nice black gentleman a home loan, the ~~~perfect logical machine~~~ did" may at least not legally fly, though that will in practice help little

so basically the max headroom trial but with hiring instead of rioting against a tv network

• Locked thread