Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

sean10mm posted:

Because we can speculate the Democrats might be traitors in some hypothetical future scenario, they're the same as Republicans who actually are being traitors right now? :confused:

Side note, the right in America was sucking Putin's dick long before there was talk of him directly trying to win them elections.

vv Also this.

I think a better scenario would be if Germany/France were feeding info to the Democrats. We see them as benevolent the same way the right views Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Mattering will not be a moment before November 6, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The left has a propensity to fracture in a way that doesn't exist on the right for some reason.

Doubtless there'd be hillary fans hand waving Russian collusion, but it wouldn't be nearly as lock step as it is on the right.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Let's discuss hypothetical leftist authoritarian states lining up to help out the Democratic party, because Both Sides Are Bad.

Yes, both do some skeezy poo poo to stay in power, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking they are in any way the same level.

It was a hypothetical asked. I'm sure this thread has the bandwidth to discuss the possibility in between furious masturbation over the latest tweet that references last night's NYT article or rampant speculation of possible links (which the poster can't verify).

They aren't the same level now, no. But people are delirious if they think their particular ideology isn't susceptible to the same groupthink bullshit that currently infests the right. People will pretty much, collectively, always argue that the ends justify the means with few exceptions

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Idk Boon, you can say "both sides both sides " all you want, but when I look at American history it's always the right-wing politicians who are crooks and traitors to America and conservatives who lap up whatever it takes to justify it because their greed and petty hatreds are more important to them than America: Russian collusion, Iran-Contra, Watergate, Nixon torpedoing the Vietnam peace negotiations.

Also the civil war when conservatives led an insurrection against the elected government because their guy lost a democratic election.

There's no equivalent when it comes to left-of-center Presidents, and it's unlikely it's just all a matter of luck or some magical property of the Democratic party that keeps us from nominating traitors, seems like what the voters in each party want from their politicians is fundamentally different

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 11, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

twice burned ice posted:

The very fact that it's being discussed in this thread by people who mainly identify as democrats should give you a good hint at the answer of whether or not democratic voters would stand for the same sort of Russian corruption of the party.

Self criticism doesn't really seem to be in the rights wheelhouse. Meanwhile, we're still relitigating the primary once a week.

It's maddening to watch the GOP burn democratic norms to the ground to suppress the will of the majority of Americans--it isn't illogical to fantasize about fighting them on their level.

But there is a deep ethical gulf between the parties at the moment, and it's pretty telling when one party's platform dominates the popular vote and the other manipulates the rules and suppresses voters to enact their will.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The fact that when this argument gets thrown at the left it's always a hypothetical kinda says it all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's okay to critique the Democratic Party for being opportunistic at the cost of moral integrity sometimes, but as with all hypotheticals, it's not a great jumping off point for discussion if it just exists in a vacuum. What are the conditions that would lead to this hypothetical switch, etc. etc.? By the time you've framed it into a point that makes it interesting, you've constructed such an alternate timeline that you might as well just write a novel instead.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Has McCain reached peak concern yet?

Also isn't the Mueller investigation still just getting started? Last I heard he's still in the process of hiring lawyers. I think this investigation is going to take a long time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Anyway, dems on the internet changing their tune is pretty irreverent.

I'm confident the democratic candidate wouldn't be hiring the first Russian operative who wandered in their door as their campaign manager (for free no less!), or coordinating with Russia, or get recorded hiring Russian prostitutes to piss on Trump's bed, or...

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Javes posted:

What has Cruz done to make him so hated within the Senate? Like, I understand democrats and the American people hating him but it seems literally every member hates him.

Please, refer to this historical document:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEiDY5qBbg

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm not so sure why this idea is so controversial and everyone races to a conclusion of 'No, this can't happen to me!'

Plenty of left authoritarians or crooked pols on the left camp in history. Leninists, Marxists, Illinois, New Jersey, Philly, and New York politics.

It's hypothetical because there has been decades of decline in the right, accelerated by FNC, the stripping of fair radio, etc... but that doesn't mean that the left is immune because of some magical property that none of you can define.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 11, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Boon posted:

I'm not so sure why this idea is so controversial and everyone races to a conclusion of 'No, this can't happen to me!'

Plenty of left authoritarians or crooked pols on the left camp in history. Leninists, Marxists, Illinois, New Jersey, Philly, and New York politics.

I don't really agree with you, but I also don't understand your references to Illinois, New Jersey, Philly, and New York off-hand.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus Christ, what is with this thread having to take every forward step and immediately re-cast it into "but really in the end it means that Democrats are terrible and awful and nothing matters because of these strawmen I have asserted to be truth"?

So, on the actual matter at hand -

mdemone posted:

No link, no link, you're the link!

The timing that mdemone has put together here is what I think is the most damning: Trump Jr. gets the invite, and the Trump campaign immediately starts talking about how they have a huge upcoming bombshell that's going to completely knock Hillary out of the race, and then as soon as the meeting turns out to have nothing, they back off and hand-wave that bombshell away as non-existent. There's no way you can posit that they weren't going to that meeting expecting to be handed the results of Russian espionage and hacking against Clinton and the DNC, which means it's a criminal conspiracy involving Manafort, Trump Jr., and Kushner.

When Mueller makes his case, I expect those three to get completely nailed to the wall. And maybe Trump stays in office until 2020, but if his son and namesake gets thrown into prison, I'll have at least some joyous schadenfreude.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Boon posted:

No one is arguing democrats are uncorruptable.

They're arguing that democrats and their supporters probably wouldn't turn a blind eye to a soliciting interference in a presidential election from a foreign country, particularly a hostile one.

That's an entirely different level of corruption than what you described.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't really agree with you, but I also don't understand your references to Illinois, New Jersey, Philly, and New York off-hand.

There were/are some corrupt machine politics in those cities and apparently this is equivalent to multiple rightwing Presidents committing treason to get elected or just for ideological reasons and their voters being fine with it now because both sides both sides.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

NJ and NY are big-time machine politics states that often legitimately do have both sides acting equally corrupt. Cuomo is a useless, glad-handing shitstain and many NY Dems literally caucus with Republicans. NJ is home of everyone's favorite desperate ambulance-chaser Corey Booker, but most other NJ Dems weren't viewed as much better than the R's until Christie soundly reminded everyone of how bad things can really get.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

twice burned ice posted:

They're arguing that democrats and their supporters probably wouldn't turn a blind eye to a soliciting interference in a presidential election from a foreign country, particularly a hostile one.

Particularly right after watching Trump jump into that specific meat grinder. :lol:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

twice burned ice posted:

That's an entirely different level of corruption than what you described.

Yeah probably not in the next decade. But given 40 years of prep they sure as hell can get there, and this threads general response is that leftists have some sort of magical property that makes them immune to tribal instinct.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/10/donald-trump-jr-russian-lawyer-meeting-brit-hume-says-no-evidence-collusion

quote:

He said Trump Jr. appears to have been "conned" by going to a meeting expecting to receive "dirt" on the Clintons.

Yeah, he's totally not at fault here. Actually, he's the victim here!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Boon posted:

Yeah probably not in the next decade. But given 40 years of prep they sure as hell can get there, and this threads general response is that leftists have some sort of magical property that makes them immune to tribal instinct.

Hot takes on the 2060 US Presidential election.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Boon posted:

The point has already been made, but you are flogging the hell out of a hypothetical.

Meanwhile we literally have 60 years worth of the GOP standing on the knife-edge of corruptibility and frequently tumbling into the abyss.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Boon posted:

So it's just luck that it's always Republicans committing treason?

Seems unlikely. If Democrats didn't care about treason and only wanted to win, there'd be plenty of opportunity for people willing to do it to rise in the party.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

skeleton warrior posted:

When Mueller makes his case, I expect those three to get completely nailed to the wall. And maybe Trump stays in office until 2020, but if his son and namesake gets thrown into prison, I'll have at least some joyous schadenfreude.

Trump's son taking the fall for him and nothing happening to Trump himself would be a terrible outcome.

edit:

"I was totally conned into showing up at this house to have sex with a 12 year old, honest!"

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Due to the speed of this thread, I sometimes miss important things and have to do a lot of catching up (which I assume is normal). This whole thing needs a "Doomsday Clock"-like apparatus that can wax and wane between McCain Minimal Concern and McCain Maximal Concern.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FizFashizzle posted:

The left has a propensity to fracture in a way that doesn't exist on the right for some reason.

Doubtless there'd be hillary fans hand waving Russian collusion, but it wouldn't be nearly as lock step as it is on the right.

It's because in the US, "the left" constitutes everyone that isn't a complete loving sociopath regardless of significant differences of opinion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

I think it's going to be awhile before Mueller has his case to make, though. Part of what made the Nixon investigation work so well was how much time they took to make sure they had an absolutely airtight case, and it still feels like we're firmly in the "Looks Real Bad, but not A Smoking Gun" stage of things. Even if a smoking gun comes to light, it'll take some time to process how the hell that's going to play out in any kind proceeding.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I'm sure they feel the same way about all of those people who the FBI conned by inviting to meetings ostensibly about setting up terrorist attacks. You can't fault them for the tricksy FBI!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Boon posted:

yes anything is possible with time, however this feels like that one sports metaphors where boundaries are changed to suit your argument you want to make against stuff no one else is arguing

your first few words actually address the hypothetical; that no, it's not likely that "the left" would be OK with a foreign government interfering with our electoral process just because the ends might justify the means

ta da.

berserker posted:

Trump's son taking the fall for him and nothing happening to Trump himself would be a terrible outcome.

if that were the only outcome, sure. keep in mind mueller was hired less than two loving months ago. if we're already in "son of president arrested for colluding with foreign power to influence father's election" territory, it won't just magically stop there.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

I think it's going to be awhile before Mueller has his case to make, though. Part of what made the Nixon investigation work so well was how much time they took to make sure they had an absolutely airtight case, and it still feels like we're firmly in the "Looks Real Bad, but not A Smoking Gun" stage of things. Even if a smoking gun comes to light, it'll take some time to process how the hell that's going to play out in any kind proceeding.

I mean, I think this is the smoking gun, it's three top Trump campaign officials going to a meeting with a Russian national expecting to get Russian espionage dirt against Clinton. But I agree that I don't know how this plays out in terms of what Congress does about it probably nothing because GOP tribalism hasn't cracked yet and I agree that it'll be a while before Mueller puts this all together in a set of charges to be brought forward.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Boon posted:

Why don't you just move the goalposts one last time to "Democrats are not literal saints" so we can all agree and move on from this dumb point you've completely failed to make.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/world/americas/kremlin-adoptions-sanctions-russia.html

quote:

Understanding the connections between adoptions and sanctions offers a lens into the worldview and foreign policy goals of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, and into how even a meeting that really did focus primarily on adoption would also have been about much more.

quote:

It might not seem obvious what sanctions have to do with American parents’ adoptions of Russian children, which is the topic that the younger Mr. Trump initially said Ms. Veselnitskaya wanted to discuss. Their connection comes down to one word: leverage.

The context is the Magnitsky Act, a 2012 American law that freezes the assets held in the United States by Russian officials responsible for human rights abuses. The law also bars these officials from receiving American visas. It was named after Sergei Magnitsky, a young Russian lawyer who died in pretrial detention after exposing a $230 million tax-theft scam perpetrated by Russian officials.

To the law’s backers, the Magnitsky Act was a way to strike a blow for justice. But to Mr. Putin, it seemed like an intolerable attack by the United States government against the stability of his own presidency.

Mr. Putin, though powerful, depends on the support of a small circle of powerful elites, in and out of government, who both keep him in power and help him enforce his will. In exchange, Mr. Putin sees that they are taken care of. The Magnitsky Act, by sanctioning some of those elites, sent a message that Mr. Putin might not be able to uphold his end of the bargain.

It also called into question whether lower-ranked officials could trust that they would be protected from punishment for tolerating or participating in illegal acts at the behest of Mr. Putin or his allies.

And the law embarrassed Mr. Putin by showing that his influence was not strong enough to prevent the law’s passage, despite his vigorous lobbying against it.

Revoking the law became an important foreign policy priority for Mr. Putin’s government. And he identified adoptions as an area that seemed to offer a way to force the issue.

Dafuq? So Is it collusion?

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 11, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/884665248384520192
2https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/884595349679222784
:siren: 3https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/884789418455953413:siren:
:siren: 4 https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/884789839522140166/photo/1 :siren:
5https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/884782914818498560
6https://twitter.com/yashar/status/884756855414816768
7https://twitter.com/yashar/status/884773753804255233
8https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/884775999564591106
9https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/884780171357827072
10https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/884787898670870528
11https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/884787517274324992
12https://twitter.com/RepMcGovern/status/884442645598281729
13https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/884789870216007686
14https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/884786504303824896
15https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884759190895460353
16https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/884491618610548737
17https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884785604277481472
18https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/884753247231258624
19https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/884547794954055681
20https://twitter.com/owillis/status/884762893580894210
21https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/884784109633064960
22https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/884777820437835778
23https://twitter.com/DerWouter/status/884778937330671617
24https://twitter.com/yashar/status/884780671058808833

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 11, 2017

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

berserker posted:

I can't imagine Trump's son and Ivanka's husband getting sent to jail are going to do anything but add more dysfunction and internal strife and hatred into an administration that is barely functional already, and I don't believe that anything is going to come out ever that breaks the GOP's tribalism enough that they're willing to impeach/25th/demand a resignation of Trump, so it's the best my broken brain can hope for.

quote:

"I was totally conned into showing up at this house to have sex with a 12 year old, honest!"

:pedophiles:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884791254244085760
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884791485568364544
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/884790382806130689
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/884791770051215360
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/884791651922841601
https://twitter.com/SariHorwitz/status/884791488286253057

Literally no idea what the gently caress he's thinking here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

For example:

which didn't even require proof of any wrongdoing for Democrats not to show up to vote because it seemed shady

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

quote:

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and it's government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

Hmmmm

IHaveTheWorstFuckingAttorneys.gif

farraday fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 11, 2017

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, so wait.

1) Trump Jr.'s statement says "this is the full e-mail chain" but it stops with the top line indicating another message from Rob Goldstone that isn't included

2) Trump Jr'.'s statement says "the woman, as she has stated publicly, was not a government official" but within one of the Goldstone e-mails he calls her "the Russian government attorney"

Am I misunderstanding this or is Trump Jr. really this stupid/brazen?

Edit: Oh, hurrah, the NY Times reporters are already going down this path. So it's not just me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/us/politics/trump-russia-email-clinton.html

Times says it has the email.. headline is "Russian Dirt on Clinton? ‘I Love It,’ Donald Trump Jr. Said"

The email noose begins to close, slowly..

e;f;b

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this; I'll add it to the timeline if I get a chance to work on it today.

I'm pretty sure if you go back to the SA politics threads during the Republican convention there will be a bunch of posts from all of us going "WTF, he's bought already?"

• Locked thread