Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What tier of med schools does not admit freshman drink till you drop flunky dropouts 15 years later? This question is... unrelated... to the current discussion. Also how does one find a new doctor given a list of med schools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6lvmd7/update_virginia_i_caused_an_accident_lady_i_hit/
[Update] [Virginia] - I caused an accident, lady I hit refuses to take payout from Insurance, thinks I should pay because I need to "learn my lesson" (self.legaladvice)
submitted 3 days ago by DumbCarAccident

quote:

Original thread here - https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/612803/richmond_va_i_caused_an_accident_a_year_and_a/
The lady I hit, for several weeks, refused to take the (verbally) agreed upon settlement and my insurance company put it on the back burner. In June they gave her 30 days to respond or they would rescind the offer.
In the middle of June she hired a lawyer not connected to her insurance, rather a personal injury atty. I got a letter from the law firm telling me that I was going to be sued if I did not compensate their client the $40,000 she thinks she's owed from the car accident.
I kicked the letter off to my insurance company; I first called then emailed it: My adjuster that I was working with had an audible "siggggghhhhh..." after I read him the letter. Then a strained chuckle. "We will take care of this."
I heard back from them on Wed the 5th - They sent all documentation of the accident, the audio recording of her verbally agreeing to the settlement amount, and her "manifesto" to her newly hired atty. They apparently also included a note that stated that they were giving her until the end of June to accept the money or they would rescind the offer if she did not get this taken care of soon.
My adjuster called me this morning to tell me that the issue has been resolved. She has signed an agreement yesterday that she cannot sue if she takes the money. According to my adjuster, they re-offered her the $40,000 because of two things: Primarily they wanted this to just go away and they did not want to be sued for more, second they apparently know of this personal injury atty, he requires a VERY high contingency percentage and this woman essentially played herself by hiring someone that was not necessary. He collected on her behalf and took his cut.
That's all I know, so yeah. Issue resolved and my insurance has jumped up a small bit in cost due to the accident.

How to turn a $40k insurance settlement payout free and clear into keeping $24k of a $40k insurance settlement payout and paying the other $16k to a personal injury attorney.

She wanted the OP to have to pay for it himself, rather than have his insurance cover it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6lvmd7/update_virginia_i_caused_an_accident_lady_i_hit/
[Update] [Virginia] - I caused an accident, lady I hit refuses to take payout from Insurance, thinks I should pay because I need to "learn my lesson" (self.legaladvice)
submitted 3 days ago by DumbCarAccident

How to turn a $40k insurance settlement payout free and clear into keeping $24k of a $40k insurance settlement payout and paying the other $16k to a personal injury attorney.

She wanted the OP to have to pay for it himself, rather than have his insurance cover it.

But why :psyduck:

Like I assume she just saw the attorney's TV ad telling you how you can get BIG BUXX NOW FROM YOUR ACCIDENT and figured that she'd get millions or something?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I assume she just saw the attorney's TV ad telling you how you can get BIG BUXX NOW FROM YOUR ACCIDENT and figured that she'd get millions or something?

No, because the insurance company is the one with all the money. She wanted the person causing the accident to "personally" pay, maybe thinking if she sued in court then OP would be screwed. She may not have realized that if she sued in court, OP's insurance would be obliged to defend him, and would be paying out anyway.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I might be misinterpreting, but I think the issue wasn't the amount, but the source. She didn't want $40k from the insurance company, she wanted $40k from the OP's personal bank account. So she kept fighting the insurance company and lost a large chunk of her settlement to the attorney, to teach OP a lesson. I hope he's happy now!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

April posted:

I might be misinterpreting, but I think the issue wasn't the amount, but the source. She didn't want $40k from the insurance company, she wanted $40k from the OP's personal bank account. So she kept fighting the insurance company and lost a large chunk of her settlement to the attorney, to teach OP a lesson. I hope he's happy now!

Is that similar to what happened to Gawker with the Hulk Hogan case?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

April posted:

Yeah I know that's the reason she stated but I'm trying to read between the lines here, the woman basically didn't care for a month and then suddenly hired a lawyer, that just strikes me as "I saw some commercial and it clicked"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is that similar to what happened to Gawker with the Hulk Hogan case?

Yeah, they dropped the "negligent infliction of emotional distress" in order to bypass the insurance company and go straight for the throat.

It's nice when billionaires bully other billionaires for a change

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, they dropped the "negligent infliction of emotional distress" in order to bypass the insurance company and go straight for the throat.

It's nice when billionaires bully other billionaires for a change

I think Nick Denton was a mere millionaire. Pathetic.

Best part of that case (and really a BWM story if you think about it) was when a Gawker writer tried 90s-style "edgy" internet humor on the witness stand and learned that doesn't go over so well in court.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember how much the Back Panther guy got in exchange for his arm?

To get a really good payout you usually need to lose a limb.

Or a family member. :ohdear:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Carry around the amount of insurance you think a rich person would carry

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I'd rather deal with an insurance company than some random person I got into an accident with.

The insurance company deals with this daily, they have money (generally unlike the person who caused the accident), and they'll probably get me a rental car and handle my medical deductibles If I have any without a huge fuss.

Also, my claims adjuster friends would rather talk to a lawyer than you. They WANT to hear you say "gently caress you, I have a lawyer!" The lawyer is more professional than the insured and usually more reasonable.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Best part of that case (and really a BWM story if you think about it) was when a Gawker writer tried 90s-style "edgy" internet humor on the witness stand and learned that doesn't go over so well in court.

Edgelord defense never works. The writer should have tried screaming "it was just a PRANK relax bro" from the stand over and over.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I know that's the reason she stated but I'm trying to read between the lines here, the woman basically didn't care for a month and then suddenly hired a lawyer, that just strikes me as "I saw some commercial and it clicked"

It may have taken her a month to find the sleazy attorney who probably knew she didn't have much of a case to actually make the OP pay personally but offered to take it on contingency and get a nice payout in exchange for a lawyer letter and some paralegal time.

What an expensive mistake he turned out to be.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does anyone remember how much the Back Panther guy got in exchange for his arm?

To get a really good payout you usually need to lose a limb.

Or a family member. :ohdear:

drat, I would have thought for sure I could link you the exact post via abunchofnumbers' SAclopedia page, but he doesn't have one.

iirc he got a million bucks, and then promptly bought a manual transmission (lmao) Lamborghini.

Edit: oh hey, this exists https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Abunchofnumbers

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 11, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

What an expensive mistake he turned out to be.

Ha!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://jalopnik.com/that-vlogger-who-got-rid-of-his-tesla-because-it-had-ba-1796782695

Some Youtube personality complained about his Tesla Model S losing traction, assumed that it was due to the car being rear-wheel drive, and traded it in for a Model X.

Somehow, he failed to notice that the rear tires were worn down to the steel belts.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Cockmaster posted:

http://jalopnik.com/that-vlogger-who-got-rid-of-his-tesla-because-it-had-ba-1796782695

Some Youtube personality complained about his Tesla Model S losing traction, assumed that it was due to the car being rear-wheel drive, and traded it in for a Model X.

Somehow, he failed to notice that the rear tires were worn down to the steel belts.

What kind of tires does the model S have? He complains that they're worn after 8 months but that's pretty typical wear for Z or W rated tires, especially if you are flooring it all the time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

What kind of tires does the model S have? He complains that they're worn after 8 months but that's pretty typical wear for Z or W rated tires, especially if you are flooring it all the time.

The Model S is a 5000lb, over 600hp car on 21" wheels with really sticky tires. 6 month tire lifespan is generous if you're driving hard.

Edit: Here's a longer explanation: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-tire-woes-part-2.html

Tires won't make it to 10k miles if you don't rotate them, I'm betting a good care tire wear scenario if you take it easy is about 15k mile life.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 11, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Twerk from Home posted:

The Model S is a 5000lb, over 600hp car on 21" wheels with really sticky tires. 6 month tire lifespan is generous if you're driving hard.

Edit: Here's a longer explanation: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-tire-woes-part-2.html

Tires won't make it to 10k miles if you don't rotate them, I'm betting a good care tire wear scenario if you take it easy is about 15k mile life.

No I know how tires work, just don't know what kind of tires the tesla has.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

C.H.O.M.E posted:

No I know how tires work, just don't know what kind of tires the tesla has.

Oh, most of the P85D Teslas have these: https://shop.teslamotors.com/products/21-continental-sport-contact-5-tire

W rated summer tire, $375 each plus labor if you buy them from Tesla.

April
Jul 3, 2006

As fascinating as tires are, have some BWM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mmaxl/uhhh_help/?st=j4zq703h&sh=cc85c114

The OP doesn't seem to make a lot of sense....

quote:

I have a lot of debt stemming from student loans, now they are garnishing wages. I've received two letters expressing that they will each garnish 25 percent, one of which has already started. I was offered a lump sum settlement on one of the debts which I cannot afford. They are all education loans, some from the department of education, some from Navient. I was given advice to enroll in a rehab program, which I did. I'm paying five bucks a month and was told any type of debt recovery would stop but it's gotten so much worse. Ive gotten every one of my tax refunds garnished for the last five years, and have tried to get it straight sense inception but I have been given very little options, outside of paying way more then I can afford. I went to college one year, it's in the hundred thousands of dollars.

Then he explains a little....

quote:

It was called full sail. Its insane. It was a fifty thousand for an associates and I realized that it was a piece of poo poo school so I left before the second semester, and was willing to pay for my stupid mistake at 30k. lovely still, yes but doable. Then because it was a accelerated program, a one year associate program where you go for forty hours of class a week, split into two semesters, another loan was taking out. I Wasn't doing well so I had to take a few classes over, which is free, one of the selling points. One that sold me because i barely made it through any type school my whole life. so my first semester took the full year when the program should have. So I dropped out at a full year but it was the halfway point but The only way to get living expense loans which I needed to live was to get the second pet of the loan or so I was told. It was kind of one of these things where I was trying to get help for classes they weren't really responding, or showing me how to get a hand, then they were trying to kick me out for my grades even though they were enough to continue, not good but enough to not get expelled. Anyway So I knew I wasn't doing well and they weren't giving me a hand so I wanted to leave before I payed for the second part and continued not getting the education I was paying for. Needless to say it didn't matter. Even if I went for the second part and did not leave I wasn't able to get another Loan to live on, And because classes were forty hours a week couldn't really get a job which would afford me a house. so I wouldn't have been able to continue anyway, no place to live.
My bad the interest went up to the hundred thousand range, almost 100k more the original price

"I've never been able to do anything school-ish, so taking out a 50k loan to go to school makes perfect sense."

quote:

I don't really know what loans what. I get eight different letters for different places. I'm imagining they're delinquent still, if they're garnishing wages. Those two that sent me 25 percent letters are both from department of ed. I do t know what loans were I spoke to a counselor at the school and they told me what to sign and distributed he loans and from there they'd cut me a check for my living wages.

I have no idea what "school" this is, but I hope they are out of business now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

April posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mmaxl/uhhh_help/?st=j4zq703h&sh=cc85c114

"I've never been able to do anything school-ish, so taking out a 50k loan to go to school makes perfect sense."

Full sail? They've been around for a long time actually, existing to prey upon peoples dreams of working in creative roles in the entertainment industry.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

April posted:

Full Sail is a scam art school that tells people they can get jobs as Pixar animators or video game designers. It's so notoriously bad that Full Sail grads are more or less blacklisted from the animation industry. They make money hand over fist.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

April posted:

Full sail is the worst of computer/video game developer boot camp schools.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Full sail is the worst of computer/video game developer boot camp schools.

Full Sail has been around for decades, way longer than the boot camp trend.

They're more like ITT or Devry, but for "creative" people, and just as if not more lovely and expensive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
I'm still very confused about how his original loan was between 30k and 50k, but he has a total balance of over 100k in less than 2 years, has 7 or 8 different lenders, and can't figure out who any of his lenders are or how to get in contact with them except for the Federal loans.

What exactly happened between Step A and present?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 11, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Full Sail is a running joke in a lot of industries, Live Production is where I have my degree and Full Sail grads were the absolute worst when it came to expectations "What do you mean I'm not Audio 1, Video 1 or Lighting 1? I have a 4 year degree and 0 experience!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm still very confused about how his original loan was between 30k and 50k, but he has a total balance of over 100k in less than 2 years, has 7 or 8 different lenders, and can't figure out who any of his lenders are or how to get in contact with them except for the Federal loans.

What exactly happened between Step A and present?

Full Sail, like its competitor The Art Institute, exists primarily to bilk the college loans system. They staff people whose sole job is to get students to apply for as many loans as possible, frequently misleading or outright lying to them. It sounds like maybe it's 50k a semester? Probably including a lot of extra padding for cost of living.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Full Sail, like its competitor The Art Institute, exists primarily to bilk the college loans system. They staff people whose sole job is to get students to apply for as many loans as possible, frequently misleading or outright lying to them. It sounds like maybe it's 50k a semester? Probably including a lot of extra padding for cost of living.

Yeah, my little brother ended up with 35k in student loans for 4 months of art school.

I'm just confused because he says he took out a loan for the tuition + living expenses (30 to 50k) and then

quote:

the interest went up to the hundred thousand range, almost 100k more the original price.
That seems to imply that his total amount owed is in the 150k range.

I still have no idea how that happened on a 30-50k original loan.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Yeah, my little brother ended up with 35k in student loans for 4 months of art school.

I'm just confused because he says he took out a loan for the semester + living expenses (30 to 50k) and then

That seems to imply that his total amount owed is in the 150k range.

I still have no idea how that happened on a 30-50k original loan.

He never gave any actual numbers, or listed all of the loans out or anything that might help make sense of it. I imagine that at this point, he's just estimating and assuming. He doesn't seem to have much of a handle on the situation at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

April posted:

He never gave any actual numbers, or listed all of the loans out or anything that might help make sense of it. I imagine that at this point, he's just estimating and assuming. He doesn't seem to have much of a handle on the situation at all.

He says:

quote:

It was a fifty thousand for an associates and I realized that it was a piece of poo poo school so I left before the second semester, and was willing to pay for my stupid mistake at 30k.

That's what I am basing my 30-50k original loan amount on.

He says his current amount owed is 100k more than the loan amount. That's insane and I have no idea how that could happen.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He realized it was a piece of poo poo, but then went back for an even more expensive degree?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

He says:

That's what I am basing my 30-50k original loan amount on.

He says his current amount owed is 100k more than the loan amount. That's insane and I have no idea how that could happen.

Quoted tuition was $30k and the school got him to take out as many loans as possible for as much as possible which they hit up for board or other living costs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

cowofwar posted:

Quoted tuition was $30k and the school got him to take out as many loans as possible for as much as possible which they hit up for board or other living costs.

I just gotta wonder how you get loans for cost of living or boarding up to 100k without straight up fraud. Or what he did with that money when he decided not to finish the degree.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I just gotta wonder how you get loans for cost of living or boarding up to 100k without straight up fraud. Or what he did with that money when he decided not to finish the degree.
Well you print a stack of applications and then get the idiot to sign them.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Scammed by Full Sail, and I'm taking it to the news

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good Parmesan posted:

Scammed by Full Sail, and I'm taking it to the news

I loved that thread.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted: