Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

the black husserl posted:

I like these games but I'm pretty sure the developers have some weird fetish for having BJ get brutally maimed, then shrug it off like it's nothing and get right back to the killing.

It happens like a half dozen times in TNO. At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.

How could he die when there are still Nazis to kill? Dude's a revenant, he knows he's chained his existence to one purpose. That's why he'll never get to be happy with Anya. The moment those loving Hitlers are finally done for, BJ's going to rest. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There doesn't need to be any explanation as to why he keeps surviving stabbings and things falling on his head. He's a 90s video game action hero, that's already enough.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.

That looks like what might actually happen in The New Colossus if you look closely at the trailers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

That looks like what might actually happen in The New Colossus if you look closely at the trailers.

yeah, sorta presaged by the mad science monkey cat in the trailer. BJ's in a wheelchair to start and then later he has a weird ring around his neck like the monkey cat. probably harvested himself a brand new body from a Nazi along the way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even assuming the new body theories are true, BJ ain't gonna use no loving Nazi's body.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, sorta presaged by the mad science monkey cat in the trailer. BJ's in a wheelchair to start and then later he has a weird ring around his neck like the monkey cat. probably harvested himself a brand new body from a Nazi along the way.

I didn't actually put the new body theory together the first time I saw the trailer but I definitely noticed that he seemed a bit thinner in that scene.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Kibayasu posted:

Even assuming the new body theories are true, BJ ain't gonna use no loving Nazi's body.

Yeah, his body would reject a Nazi body. Maybe they'll put in cloning, but just clone him a new body.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Did they pull a portal and change cutscenes in the new order to include new stuff referring to the new game? did the game always flash GET HYPE at you when you start a new game because I don't remember seeing it before and I've shot so many nazis.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Pendent posted:

I didn't actually put the new body theory together the first time I saw the trailer but I definitely noticed that he seemed a bit thinner in that scene.

I was thinking that, but then a lot of them seem a bit off somehow - Engel seems to have taken the opportunity to have a bit of a facelift when they glued her jaw back on, for instance.

Someone on reddit suggested things are a bit wonky having ported the models to a new engine, but IdTech 5 to 6 shouldn't change much, surely?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe instead of BJ getting decapitated by the Nazis, Set offers to give him a new body because his old body is completely wrecked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Werix posted:

All this but only if we get to actually kill Klansmen or sympathizers. In the Alternative make some of the Nazis Americans that willfully collaborated and every once in a while when you kill a Nazi instead of hearing 'Mein Gott!" you hear, "Oh tarnation!"

Because yeah, there has always been that racist drive in America, and the only thing that keeps many people from openly embracing it is how likely they are to be made social outcasts. Nazis would welcome that behavior.

the milkshake nazi sounds pretty american. i assume there will be american collaborators and i am sure they will show some truly hosed up horrors, apparently they wanted to go further with the camp belica in NO but they ran out of time and wernt sure how to make it not exploitive feeling.

GUI posted:

There doesn't need to be any explanation as to why he keeps surviving stabbings and things falling on his head. He's a 90s video game action hero, that's already enough.

well he is basically Samson(set literally calls him that) just a giant spirit of vengeance on nazi fuckheads.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And you can kill up to two women in old blood

one is zombie and other is practically dead.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pound_Coin posted:

Did they pull a portal and change cutscenes in the new order to include new stuff referring to the new game? did the game always flash GET HYPE at you when you start a new game because I don't remember seeing it before and I've shot so many nazis.

Yes, it always did that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Two Owls posted:

I was thinking that, but then a lot of them seem a bit off somehow - Engel seems to have taken the opportunity to have a bit of a facelift when they glued her jaw back on, for instance.

Someone on reddit suggested things are a bit wonky having ported the models to a new engine, but IdTech 5 to 6 shouldn't change much, surely?

Engel's gone through significant reconstructive surgery, she had a giant fuckoff hole in her face even after her jaw was wired in at the end of TNO.

Also BJ has absolutely had his head grafted onto another dude's body, and we can only hope his anti-knife aura is concentrated in his brain.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Pound_Coin posted:

It says GET PSYCHED! It's from Wolfenstein 3D. It always did that, but it's on screen for less than a second so it's pretty easy to miss.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

GUI posted:

I don't need an explanation but I would like the scenes to please stop. I've watched the same thing like a dozen times and they're really gratuitous and bad, instead of gratuitous and rad like the rest of the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I like these games but I'm pretty sure the developers have some weird fetish for having BJ get brutally maimed, then shrug it off like it's nothing and get right back to the killing.

It happens like a half dozen times in TNO. At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.

It's a pretty well-trodden formula that having a hero who gets the poo poo beat out of them and keeps on soldiering through it is way more interesting and endearing than just having some untouchable killing machine. It's worked with everyone from Indiana Jones to John McClane to Jackie Chan and even in videogames the most successful modern action heroes seem to be people like Nathan Drake and Laura Croft who spend most of their games in varying states of bleeding out and/or falling to their death.

Oxxidation posted:

Engel's gone through significant reconstructive surgery, she had a giant fuckoff hole in her face even after her jaw was wired in at the end of TNO.

That was definitely one of the few "oh come on" moments in TNO, you sic a literal killing machine with appendages built for crushing skulls on her and then when it only inflicts a glancing superficial face wound you let her do a supervillain monologue and then throw her off of a cliff instead instead of actually finishing the job then and there.

I almost kind of wish she was the one you killed and her creepy pedostached boy toy was the one coming back for vengeance in the sequel, going from a giggling effete weirdo to a crazed killing machine over a woman who obviously viewed him as little more than a plaything.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Guy Mann posted:

I almost kind of wish she was the one you killed and her creepy pedostached boy toy was the one coming back for vengeance in the sequel, going from a giggling effete weirdo to a crazed killing machine over a woman who obviously viewed him as little more than a plaything.

I donno... the execution in the Belica chapter was BS, especially when BJ just decides to jam his hand into a fusebox for no apparent reason, but I liked killing creepy sex-offender dude in front of Engel. It was like one more gently caress you to her before the credits roll. Of course that whole point in the lab was also a bit weird, as immediately after you run into all your comrades who are apparently oblivious to BJ being drugged and just run off without you.

This time around it looks like they're probably really going to try and fuel your hatred of Engel so she can take the place as the big, bad antagonist. We'll either kill her here, or she'll be kept alive for one more round before they reset the series again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one is zombie and other is practically dead.

Sorry, three women. I forgot you could shoot Helga. And the other two are zombies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Also BJ has absolutely had his head grafted onto another dude's body, and we can only hope his anti-knife aura is concentrated in his brain.

yeah, i guess it healed up well. i hope its the same voice actress, she was great. also i am curious who the donor will be. because its seems less muscled then his original.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry, three women. I forgot you could shoot Helga. And the other two are zombies.

i am pretty sure there is a execution prompt like bubi.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This time around it looks like they're probably really going to try and fuel your hatred of Engel so she can take the place as the big, bad antagonist. We'll either kill her here, or she'll be kept alive for one more round before they reset the series again.

the lead writer said it was always going to be a trilogy. i kinda assume engel will die in this one and Hitler/whatever is left of historical nazis are the third(though anya voice actor said they shoot Hitler in this one, so who knows).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the lead writer said it was always going to be a trilogy. i kinda assume engel will die in this one and Hitler/whatever is left of historical nazis are the third(though anya voice actor said they shoot Hitler in this one, so who knows).
Well, shoot is not the same as kill. He could come back with upgrades. I do like the idea of him having a bunch of historical nazis alongside him, like a super fat Göring riding around in his art museum on a Nazi rascal scooter.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The ending of the franchise should just be a recreation of that Hey Arnold episode.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GUI posted:

The ending of the franchise should just be a recreation of that Heil Honey. I'm Home episode.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe instead of BJ getting decapitated by the Nazis, Set offers to give him a new body because his old body is completely wrecked.

It looks like it goes two ways, you could get the mech suit or new body. I'd think possibly that guy with a carved up head that just repeats himself. Maybe he gets wounded again in the head but the rest of his body is still good, in comes Set Roth boom new brauny body for BJ.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Played through both TNO and TBO over the last few days in preparation. I might do another round of each to get all collectibles, or at least all the enigma codes in TNO. Will go for Fergus over Wyatt this time. J is dope as hell, but Fergus is much better than Wyatt.

So pumped for Wolfenstein 2 in any case.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man it's gonna be pretty weird for Anya if BJ gets a new body :stare:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

Played through both TNO and TBO over the last few days in preparation. I might do another round of each to get all collectibles, or at least all the enigma codes in TNO. Will go for Fergus over Wyatt this time. J is dope as hell, but Fergus is much better than Wyatt.

So pumped for Wolfenstein 2 in any case.

I like Wyatt, it's like having Bucky Barnes around. Plus his begging makes me legit sad.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

:rolleyes:

BJ isn't going to get decapitated. The line on BJs neck in the trailer is his communications device, its in TNO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

BJ isn't going to get decapitated. The line on BJs neck in the trailer is his communications device, its in TNO.

is it? i thought it was a head set?

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

yeah I just replayed The New Order and even in the final cutscene before the credits he is still using a headset

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Entropic posted:

I'm waiting for the reveal that BJ was part of some captain America super-soldier-serum experiment. It would explain a lot.

His actor DID voice Captain America in several Avengers properties...

He's also this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHm_TuS-KQU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Southpaugh posted:

:wrong:

It doesn't change later in the game either, if that's what you are thinking.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I just watched the thirty minute giant bomb interview. They confirm that you'll be prompted at the start of the game to select between the Fergus and Wyatt timeline, and that the new choice between the Laserkraftwerk and the Dieselkraftwerk will be a gameplay difference rather than a story, with the DKW being an explosive weapon of some kind.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like Wyatt, it's like having Bucky Barnes around. Plus his begging makes me legit sad.
Don't get me wrong, I like Wyatt, and J is great. His 'back home you were the nazis' scene was great. Especially so since I got it after having seen the Wolfenstein 2 trailer, giving it so much more meaning.

But between just Fergus and Wyatt, I definitely prefer the former. Fergus fits in with the rest of the crew of old and tired fighters better.

Wyatt is the idealistic choice, and Fergus the pragmatic one, as he's the one with a useful set of skills for the resistance, whereas Wyatt is as green as they come.

E: Besides, including the very end of TOB, Fergus saves your skin several times before the choice. Off the top of my head; digging you out at the end of TOB, catching you when you almost slip off the wing leaping over to the troop transport plane, shooting the panzerhund that attacks you in the trench. Seems rude not to return the favour.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 11, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Wyatt does save your rear end from the panzerhund before you climb the castle wall in a rather cool way.

Plus on PC (with mouse and keyboard) I've been having a horrible time with the hot wire minigame you get with Fergus as opposed to the lock pick minigame.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Granted, I did the Fergus playthrough (or most of it anyway, I got stuck on the second stage of the last boss, was too stubborn to lower difficulty, put the game down and forgot about it) back when it first came out, but I don't remember that minigame being any more annoying than the lock picking.

The health collectibles are just straight up better than the armour ones though, as the latter still doesn't allow you to go over a hundred. At least in TOB you could overcharge armour as well.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Then there's this nugget:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Well, it kinda is true that the Nazis weren't the biggest fans of the KKK, since the KKK was often effectively anti-German because of its anti-catholic (and prohibitionist) stance. Plus the Nazis had a general dislike of the "mongrel" Americans.

Which of course doesn't mean that the KKK wouldn't be overjoyed to work together with the Nazis to really "clean up America", or that the Nazis wouldn't recruit them to make occupation that much easier. Their whole deal when it came to non-Germans was to "elevate" other races based on political expedience rather than any sort of coherent ideological framework. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a justification for working with the KKK.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it kinda is true that the Nazis weren't the biggest fans of the KKK, since the KKK was often effectively anti-German because of its anti-catholic (and prohibitionist) stance. Plus the Nazis had a general dislike of the "mongrel" Americans.

Which of course doesn't mean that the KKK wouldn't be overjoyed to work together with the Nazis to really "clean up America", or that the Nazis wouldn't recruit them to make occupation that much easier. Their whole deal when it came to non-Germans was to "elevate" other races based on political expedience rather than any sort of coherent ideological framework. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a justification for working with the KKK.

How about "work with us or we'll send in the robot dogs"?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So far the theories that BJ is a decapitated head remind me of all the crazy story ideas in Deux Ex, that Jensen was totally a clone and was being mind controlled to follow specific orders.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
But BJ getting his head cut off means he can be put in a mecha suit to fight mecha Hitler, which is obviously where this series needs to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it weird that I think the coolest thing from the trailer is the implication that you spend a level scooting around shooting nazis from your wheelchair?