Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

We are bad for not engaging people like Sargon as intellectual equals because

https://twitter.com/dvoeverie/status/884606058618134528

Given how much of the alt right came out swinging for Milo, people should think twice about letting them anywhere near children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Gorn Myson posted:

Given how much of the alt right came out swinging for Milo, people should think twice about letting them anywhere near children.

Are you saying Sexual Abuse victims don't try to rationalize the sexual abuse they received at the hands of an abuser as a positive thing?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Hey Lambic, where's your response to these people? If you don't calmly rebut their points, how will you ever defeat Trump?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the message of "I'm an academic and you're not so I don't have to listen to you :smug:" works in the realm of academia, but falls short somewhat in the realm of public opinion/the shaping thereof, where the academics are pretty much always going to be outnumbered by the non-academics

so, if you can't boil down your fancy foolproof everythingworksout political philosophy to a form that the general public can understand and accept, the general public will turn away from you and listen to other people with simpler and more understandable (if incorrect) political philosophies, such as MAGA

this does of course mean simplifying your political philosophy to the point that it must be tested against the political philosophy of MAGA, where the public might be watching to see which wins

Unfortunately this. Given the rampant anti-intellectualism sweeping its way though the US and other parts of the west, academic positions hold even less sway in the public mind than they used to in the past. Simply asserting academic privilege and hoping people trust your honesty and scrupulousness isn't good enough anymore (it also shades over into argument from authority really quickly).

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Hey Lambic, where's your response to these people? If you don't calmly rebut their points, how will you ever defeat Trump?

The issue isn't engaging with trash like Sargon (except as a showpiece), it's better engagement with the public without a sense of smug superiority. Also, I've mentioned this elsewhere, but no one should hope to convert Sargon or his acolytes. All such arguments exist to provide a positive counter-narrative and are for the benefit of onlookers and the undecided public.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pembroke Fuse posted:

The issue isn't engaging with trash like Sargon (except as a showpiece), it's better engagement with the public without a sense of smug superiority. Also, I've mentioned this elsewhere, but no one should hope to convert Sargon or his acolytes. All such arguments exist to provide a positive counter-narrative and are for the benefit of onlookers and the undecided public.

Anyone who needs somebody to explain to them that adults screeching about keks and feminism in a playground are not people you want to be associated with is already too stupid to help. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 11, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Anyone swayed by answers that easy would forget any point you made on their next trip around the goldfish bowl.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Like, how do you even begin to address the argument of "REEEEEEEE" at all, especially without coming off as smug?

"Well, my opponent is very intelligent and obviously put a lot of thought into his screech, but I respectfully disagree on the grounds of"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Are you saying Sexual Abuse victims don't try to rationalize the sexual abuse they received at the hands of an abuser as a positive thing?

That's not even close to what he said. What he said was people who were ostensibly not abuse victims came out in support of a statement that was pro-abuse.

...Is English your fifth language? Because if so, I can see how you'd so massively misread it. Otherwise, you're either a moron or ...nah, I think that's the only option.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Using ignore list may improve thread.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It would if other folks would stop quoting those ignored posts in their entirety.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

They're even more pathetic than the American ones. By a lot. Aren't there supposed to be actual skinheads in the U.K.?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
sorry for posting in the designated safespace

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Who What Now posted:

Like, how do you even begin to address the argument of "REEEEEEEE" at all, especially without coming off as smug?

"Well, my opponent is very intelligent and obviously put a lot of thought into his screech, but I respectfully disagree on the grounds of"

The most shocking part of that video is that one dude shouting REEEE out loud. Like, what the gently caress?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

business hammocks posted:

They're even more pathetic than the American ones. By a lot. Aren't there supposed to be actual skinheads in the U.K.?
Yes, there's a lot of small fash factions dating way back to the heyday of European fascism. Half of them have massive beef with each other due to members being kicked out or starting their own group because the old one was insufficiently hardline. They also have ideological schisms over their terrible ideas, like the EDL is pro-Israel because they kill Muslims, whereas the BNP are anti-Israel because cultural Zionism, or how some want British independence from the traitor EU, whereas others want closer integration with a 'strong white Europe'.

It's pretty funny whenever they try to organize some kind of 'broad church of the far right' and end up beating the poo poo out of each other.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

The most shocking part of that video is that one dude shouting REEEE out loud. Like, what the gently caress?

I think several of them shouted it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BigRed0427 posted:

4chan nazis really are just powered by memes and irony at this point. Like they'll do anything if they've seen it on the Internet and think it will piss people off. So it kind of follows they'd be doing stuff like that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Remember that one idiot who yelled "Pepe!" during Hillary Clinton's speech about the alt right?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

business hammocks posted:

I found myself getting some stares or thumbs up from bouncers in London because I like Lonsdale sweaters before I realized "oh, they're skinheads and there's still a bunch of them in the uk".

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Jippa posted:

There is a german word for when you are embarrassed for other people.

fahrvergnügen?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/xaphan6669/status/884614454851194880

Heh. Normies getting all butt hurt because we screamed at children. Top kek!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

"This is the smugness that got Trump elected!!!11!!"

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Really makes one long for the menacing stoicism of actual skinheads

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

It's this except IRL:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

This dude is having to make parody accounts step up their game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sorry for posting in the designated safespace

Shockingly, supporting pedophilia apologism gets you told the get the gently caress out of everywhere decent. If you want to try to defend that poo poo, gently caress off back to 8chan or wherever you oozed from.

If Milo was abused when he was younger, then he drat well knows better than to suggest it's an acceptable practice. And remember, he also said that young boys in relationships with older women are the actual abusers instead of the victims. Just like being abused as a kid doesn't give you a right to abuse kids when you grow up, it doesn't give you the right to absolve abusers of their disgusting crimes.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Sargon got converted out of being a truther by a yt of a guy bending a piece of a hot steel pipe. That really says it all about how far he'll go to research things.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

rkajdi posted:

Shockingly, supporting pedophilia apologism gets you told the get the gently caress out of everywhere decent. If you want to try to defend that poo poo, gently caress off back to 8chan or wherever you oozed from.

If Milo was abused when he was younger, then he drat well knows better than to suggest it's an acceptable practice. And remember, he also said that young boys in relationships with older women are the actual abusers instead of the victims. Just like being abused as a kid doesn't give you a right to abuse kids when you grow up, it doesn't give you the right to absolve abusers of their disgusting crimes.

I'm not defending what he said i'm just pointing out that there is a reason he is so hosed up in the head

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

This dude is having to make parody accounts step up their game.

I know I'm hosed in the head because I looked at the guy's handle and thought it was some sort of h3h3/jontron collab.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

There is a german word for when you are embarrassed for other people.

Fremdschämen, good word, gets a lot of use.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm not defending what he said i'm just pointing out that there is a reason he is so hosed up in the head

Shockingly, people don't give a poo poo about the reason someone thinks raping kids is cool, they just care that they have a pedo or pedo apologist standing in front of them acting like they are a person and not a monster in a suit made of human skin. Don't bother justifying him, and don't act like standing against child rape is whatever safe space whinging you pushed around.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

cool, i haven't really seen any of their work yet; any videos you'd recommend?

also, lol @ all of this:

i have no qualms saying that every person quoted here needs to grow up

I was being lighthearted. Likely so were the others.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

We loving know. We can empathise with him without it turning into sympathy for what hes advocating, which is a concept that right-wingers find difficult to understand.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

rkajdi posted:

Shockingly, people don't give a poo poo about the reason someone thinks raping kids is cool, they just care that they have a pedo or pedo apologist standing in front of them acting like they are a person and not a monster in a suit made of human skin. Don't bother justifying him, and don't act like standing against child rape is whatever safe space whinging you pushed around.

I'm not justifying what Milo said just that Milo is a deeply-hosed up individual that needs to head to therapy so he doesn't try and justify what a child abuser did to him

I dont like the way your insinuating I'm pro paedophile/child-rape btw

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I'm not justifying what Milo said just that Milo is a deeply-hosed up individual that needs to head to therapy so he doesn't try and justify what a child abuser did to him

I dont like the way your insinuating I'm pro paedophile/child-rape btw

Acknowledged. He and most likely a lot of other alt-righters need therapy. But in the meantime they need to shut the gently caress up.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

rebuttals aren't needed when people are trespassing and causing a public disurbance; the appropriate response here is to call the police

if they were instead waving around their 4chan flag from the top of their house and yelling about normies all day from there, call the police too once it warrants a noise complaint

otherwise, just try not to get triggered by them, i guess

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

None of your suggestions involved putting them in zoos. You are not cut out for this brave new world.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
so call the police and see if they look at the situation and proceed to call the pound? :confused:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rebuttals aren't needed when people are trespassing and causing a public disurbance; the appropriate response here is to call the police

if they were instead waving around their 4chan flag from the top of their house and yelling about normies all day from there, call the police too once it warrants a noise complaint

otherwise, just try not to get triggered by them, i guess

You admonished me for saying these people should be ignored, and now your answer is to ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

the difference is that the argument of "REEEEEEEE" won't convince anybody, at least anybody of voting age, so you don't need to worry about addressing it at all

• Locked thread