Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I liked Superbunnyhop, especially his video about the entire Sonic franchise because I had literally never in my life understood the appeal of Sonic the hedgehog and enjoy hearing from people that do. I am an inclusive gamer like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I liked Superbunnyhop, especially his video about the entire Sonic franchise because I had literally never in my life understood the appeal of Sonic the hedgehog and enjoy hearing from people that do. I am an inclusive gamer like that

His videos about Japan are really great, he explores arcades, gaming restaurants, and pachinko parlors and gives his impressions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

yeah, he is honestly one of the best critics and makes pretty good reviews that i usualy agree with.

one of his best was the watch dogs review because he made a ton of great points where they hosed up and where it sorta worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RILVX9W3vRY

also his witcher and MGS retrospectives are amazing.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Hbomb looks like he has a bit of the downs.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

His mgs2 video is still my favorite. Also I'm glad to know Japanese people are mad about Konami too

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monglo posted:

I think he's quite pleasantly cheery and not down at all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

Oh...kay...?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, I tried to watch some of the youtube debate videos and one thing i've noticed right away is that they do the voice channel thing of not shutting up to let someone else talk, especially guys like sargon.

He approaches these debates looking to get some sick burns in so he can't wait his turn to speak but it just gets him muted because he won't shut up while the other person speaks.

Honestly though, nothing changes- everyone comes off of these thinking they've won and there's no real exchange of ideas because the participants were on the same page. But then, debates have almost never really been about people engaging one another. Lincoln and Douglas was mostly Lincoln trying to get a chance to stump and Douglas trying to goad Lincoln into making statements that blacks and whites were equal because at the time that was an extremely unpopular opinion to have.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

the message of "I'm an academic and you're not so I don't have to listen to you :smug:" works in the realm of academia, but falls short somewhat in the realm of public opinion/the shaping thereof, where the academics are pretty much always going to be outnumbered by the non-academics

so, if you can't boil down your fancy foolproof everythingworksout political philosophy to a form that the general public can understand and accept, the general public will turn away from you and listen to other people with simpler and more understandable (if incorrect) political philosophies, such as MAGA

this does of course mean simplifying your political philosophy to the point that it must be tested against the political philosophy of MAGA, where the public might be watching to see which wins

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlAn3GnzZ_8

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
basically,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's why I settle for boiling down my political philosophy to "gently caress the rich, gently caress nazis, gently caress tories, gently caress yeah!"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the message of "I'm an academic and you're not so I don't have to listen to you :smug:" works in the realm of academia, but falls short somewhat in the realm of public opinion/the shaping thereof, where the academics are pretty much always going to be outnumbered by the non-academics

so, if you can't boil down your fancy foolproof everythingworksout political philosophy to a form that the general public can understand and accept, the general public will turn away from you and listen to other people with simpler and more understandable (if incorrect) political philosophies, such as MAGA

this does of course mean simplifying your political philosophy to the point that it must be tested against the political philosophy of MAGA, where the public might be watching to see which wins

What are you even on about? There already exists a layman's refutation of carlgon's existence, he's a pedantic dweeb. His entire appeal is his pseudo-intellectualism, a lot of which hinges on a supposed sense of equal legitimacy between he and academia. The general public's understanding of MAGA is nothing close to anything sargon has ever done, because that isn't his audience either.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What are you even on about? There already exists a layman's refutation of carlgon's existence, he's a pedantic dweeb. His entire appeal is his pseudo-intellectualism, a lot of which hinges on a supposed sense of equal legitimacy between he and academia. The general public's understanding of MAGA is nothing close to anything sargon has ever done, because that isn't his audience either.

wasn't talking about sargon dude, was talking about the issue of smug dismissiveness in general

regardless of how right you may be to smugly dismiss a wrongthinker, it doesn't do anything to reduce the number of wrongthinkers, and that's kind of important in a democratic system

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nasal-voiced dweeb gives 12-minute tutorial on how to use twitter. Why do all these turds think that there's some huge, centralized antifa movement in the United States? It's barely a thing here, though I guess there have occasionally been anarchists who do black block poo poo. But what does some podcast (?) for regular anarchists have to do with punks getting arrested in New Jersey?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean one did punch richard spencer in the face. Vast horde no, but entertainingly effective, seemingly.

Imagine living in fear that you won't be able to talk about white genocide in public without the black power ranger materializing out of the ether and punching you in the head.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
yeah, that $1,000 a month that antifa patreon is getting is totally an imminent threat to western civilization

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean one did punch richard spencer in the face. Vast horde no, but entertainingly effective, seemingly.

Imagine living in fear that you won't be able to talk about white genocide in public without the black power ranger materializing out of the ether and punching you in the head.

Wasn't that just a regular anarchist? There aren't like working-class gangs of burly punks picking fights with skinheads (that also thankfully don't roam urban streets).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Wasn't that just a regular anarchist? There aren't like working-class gangs of burly punks picking fights with skinheads (that also thankfully don't roam urban streets).

You don't know that! There are anarchists hiding everywhere! Waiting to pounce on unsuspecting fascists!

Also I think if you punch fascists in the face on the news you are, de-facto, antifa.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

wasn't talking about sargon dude, was talking about the issue of smug dismissiveness in general

regardless of how right you may be to smugly dismiss a wrongthinker, it doesn't do anything to reduce the number of wrongthinkers, and that's kind of important in a democratic system

Maybe you should leave a notice if you're going to respond to imaginary discussions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Using ignore list may improve thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wrongthinkers can't be reduced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Give me a sufficiently large amount of formic acid and a test subject and I will prove you incorrect on that assertion.

Give me a really big bonfire and I can even oxidize one too.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

let me know when the "ignore them and hope they go away without causing too much trouble" strategy is effective

i mean it's not like they'll swing a presidential election or anything, right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

let me know when the "ignore them and hope they go away without causing too much trouble" strategy is effective

The nation is hosed and beyond saving, we're in a death spiral and nothing you do will stop it.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

There's like every other thread in D&D to screech about the 2016 election. Again, are you seriously demanding that the Something Awful Dot Com mockthread about idiots who suck Hitler's ghost dick on youtube come up with a magic bullet solution to the problems of democracy before you stop posting boring derails? No one in this thread thinks that making fun of these dipshits is going to win the battle for the soul of America or whatever stupid poo poo you imagine is happening here.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

OwlFancier posted:

If there was a real Antifa movement in the states, the loving Megazord would be the one making that punch :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also, I'm not sure if it's this or if it's about someone sitting down to think about what kind of youtube channel they want to make, and instead of even thinking of carlgon, they decide they want their youtube channel to actually make the world a better place in some fashion, either by educating people or helping to create events for people to come together and accomplish things, and the thought never crosses their mind to just make videos yelling at dumb people, but Carlgon and the septic rationals all decided they needed to make videos screaming about how people are WRONG and that this was a good use of their time.

Yeah, I also think another aspect is that people on the left tend to focus more on ways they want to improve the world, while the alt-right is almost entirely defined by its opposition to "SJWs" and feminists and what have you. Liberals (as opposed to leftists) are also often defined primarily along their opposition to Trump and Republicans, but there already exist other avenues to consume that sort of content (both through mainstream liberal media like MSNBC/the major newspapers and websites like DailyKos or whatever).

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Grenrow posted:

There's like every other thread in D&D to screech about the 2016 election. Again, are you seriously demanding that the Something Awful Dot Com mockthread about idiots who suck Hitler's ghost dick on youtube come up with a magic bullet solution to the problems of democracy before you stop posting boring derails? No one in this thread thinks that making fun of these dipshits is going to win the battle for the soul of America or whatever stupid poo poo you imagine is happening here.

yeah, i'd be less inclined to shift the discussion if there was actual mockery going on of youtube intellectuals, rather than goons just being really angry/sad about them

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

yeah, i'd be less inclined to shift the discussion if there was actual mockery going on of youtube intellectuals, rather than goons just being really angry/sad about them

Then stop derailing poo poo, you waste of Carbon.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

All mockthreads are bad.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Stop quoting people on my ignore list thanks.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The best thing about him is he pronounces at least one word incorrectly in every single video he makes.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

We are bad for not engaging people like Sargon as intellectual equals because

https://twitter.com/dvoeverie/status/884606058618134528

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There is a german word for when you are embarrassed for other people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Did you not even read the fuckin' post you quoted?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

We are bad for not engaging people like Sargon as intellectual equals because

https://twitter.com/dvoeverie/status/884606058618134528

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also I think if you punch fascists in the face on the news you are, de-facto, antifa.
Yeah, I think the assumption where antifa is a new thing is that 'antifa' is some organized thing separate to anarchism rather than something that grew organically out of "the nationalists are having a march and there's probably going to be a dozen twats who hang around after to start poo poo, so why don't we have a scrap with them instead of waiting for them to find an Asian pensioner in the wrong place."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I love the cries of "I'm actually the victim here" from Pepes who think that Antifas are a brand-new thing that formed specifically to mess with them in particular :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jippa posted:

There is a german word for when you are embarrassed for other people.

what you are feeling is Fremdscham

• Locked thread