Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Both Adaptability and Attunement increase your Agility, which in turn increases your rolling/backstepping iframes at certain breakpoints. (92/96/99/105 are the ones you will likely care about.) Below 110 Agility, every 4 points of Adaptability give 3 points of Agility, while every 4 points of Attunement give 1 point of Agility. And while you can progress beyond 110 Agility, it's far more expensive to do so (those rates of return are divided by 7) and you don't need to on NG in the first place.

Other than that, have fun? DS2 throws a lot of levels at you - around 150 by endgame if you ignore the DLC, or 200 if you beat them all - and you get a number of chances to respec if something really doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

So, I can't play DS2 until I either roll back my windows installation to the anniversary update or wait for a fix from Microsoft on the really dark full screen bug that showed up with the creators update which I'm sure is coming any day now :lol: ...

Just clearing up, has anyone else encountered this? Just making sure my best option at the moment is to reinstall Windows... I can't easily roll back because windows.old is no longer on my machine; gotta go fresh if that's the route.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Killed the first boss, he was pretty easy. Still wearing my garbage leather armor and using a short sword I found. Hopefully start picking up some good poo poo soon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

MeccaPrime posted:

So, I can't play DS2 until I either roll back my windows installation to the anniversary update or wait for a fix from Microsoft on the really dark full screen bug that showed up with the creators update which I'm sure is coming any day now :lol: ...

Just clearing up, has anyone else encountered this? Just making sure my best option at the moment is to reinstall Windows... I can't easily roll back because windows.old is no longer on my machine; gotta go fresh if that's the route.

Just loaded it up and its fine for me. I'm extremely anal about having all my software up to date because, apparently by some stroke of luck I've never encountered any issues with anything because of updating, I even use betas when I can. I'm running SLI 970s

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Killed the first boss, he was pretty easy. Still wearing my garbage leather armor and using a short sword I found. Hopefully start picking up some good poo poo soon.

FYI, a short sword is perfectly viable if you upgrade it. This game isn't so much about swapping around weapons but rather building your character's stats to fit a certain weapon/weapon type, which you then upgrade. It's not that a greatsword is automatically better than a shortsword (although it is automatically more badass).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you like the move set, use it. Almost every weapon is good, and every weapon can get you through the game.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'd rather have a big rear end sword. Just haven't found one yet. Just started this tower of flame thing, not sure if that's where I need to go next. Hopefully knights=big swords.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I'd rather have a big rear end sword. Just haven't found one yet. Just started this tower of flame thing, not sure if that's where I need to go next. Hopefully knights=big swords.

Remember, these knights despawn the same as every other critter. Fighting them all, while seeming necessary at first, is counter-intuitive.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bogart posted:

That's what's good about soul memory. Twinking is much harder.

Theoretically. There's still the item that prevents soul memory from rising, which you can bee-line for if you really felt like it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

there's a greatsword in no man's wharf once you find that

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Armorer Dennis suuuuuucks

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So yea, the mace works really well in Heide's Tower, wow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So yea, the mace works really well in Heide's Tower, wow.

Mace and rapier are far and away the fastest killing early weapons.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So how is poise handled in ds2? I know in 1 it was pretty necessary, and in 3 it was almost useless. Should I buy this ring of giants if I'm going for a heavy str build?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

So how is poise handled in ds2? I know in 1 it was pretty necessary, and in 3 it was almost useless. Should I buy this ring of giants if I'm going for a heavy str build?

It's mostly useless. It works more similarly to 3 than 1. It can't hurt to have high poise but it's not something I would ever deliberately boost.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Strike damage seems really good for lots of stuff but man I find clubbing weapons boring

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You don't need to buy the ring, but know that poise is still meaningful in DS2. Here's a summary on how three different mechanics with the same drat name work in the Dark Souls games:

• DS1's poise was purely resistance to being hitstunned. The more you had, the more hits (and poise damage) you could take while still trucking. Of course once you ran out, you got stunned, but playing keepaway and not getting hit for several seconds before you hit zero in the first place could regenerate your lost poise in its entirety.
  • DS2's poise was also primarily resistance to being hitstunned, but some tweaks were made to encourage you to be more proactive. First, you only take half the normal poise damage if you're attacking with a big weapon at the time (a state known as hyperarmor). Second, poise damage regenerated on its own at a very slow rate, so if you kept getting hit you'd eventually be worn down; ducking out of the action to regenerate was no longer an option.
  • DS3's poise is mostly just hyperarmor. Resistance to being hitstunned only triggers if you're attacking, so if you get hit in any other circumstance you will be hitstunned. It's a rather strange instance of feature creep and was appreciated by approximately no one. (To make the difference even more glaring, the Unfaltering Prayer ability of some DS3 talismans uses DS1-style poise.)

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

You don't need the ring. Overall, poise is nice to have if you can get it, but is less important than Fashion Souls for picking what armor to wear.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

NGDBSS posted:

DS3's poise is mostly just hyperarmor. Resistance to being hitstunned only triggers if you're attacking, so if you get hit in any other circumstance you will be hitstunned.
To be specific: You only have hyperarmor in ds3 with certain attacks. Big weapons(great hammers, greataxes, ultra greatswords) get hyperarmor on normal attacks and usually also on weapon arts, kinda-big weapons(greatswords, halberds, hammers) get hyperarmor when two handing and with weapon arts, and other weapons just get hyperarmor with certain weapon arts.

The amount you can tank through without staggering via hyperarmor in ds3 is increased by the poise that armor gives you. This means that poise does do something, but it has the unfortunate effect of limiting build variety quite a bit, because it means poise from armor is worthless if you're using a lighter weapon which doesn't have worthwhile hyperarmor moves, or hyperarmor at all. (Which also means you gotta stack heavy armor with heavy weapons, so there's a large equip load tax... and then fast weapons are still better. Not that it matters much outside of PvP, but it's still not really a successful system.)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 10, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
More than anything else, DS3 poise is just incredibly misleading to pretty much anyone, whether or not they're new to the series or coming from DS1/2.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Scholar is on sale for PS Plus members right now, so looks like I've just bought DS2 for the third time :banjo:

I'm gonna go back to DS3 first now that I've finished a run of Bloodborne, but I think I'll do some kind of power-stance run on PS4-scholar after that.

These are the best fuckin' games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Demons Souls is so different but at the same time it's exactly the same, I love it. I'm going to be sad that I'll have played them all once I'm done with it though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

RBA Starblade posted:

Demons Souls is so different but at the same time it's exactly the same, I love it. I'm going to be sad that I'll have played them all once I'm done with it though.

Demons souls is so good, I think just the tower level alone would make it one of my favorite games of all time, despite how the whole world tendency stuff makes it feel like theres a large part of the game locked off to me. The call back to it in ds3 was cool.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

What's world tendency?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

What's world tendency?

A gimmick that changes maps slightly based on sidequests you've done (pushes it toward white) and deaths in human form (black). At pure black there are extra black phantom enemies around and an extra item or 2. At pure white there are fewer enemies that deal less damage and also an extra item or 2. This is tracked for each of the 5 major zones. You also get more souls and item drops in pure black iirc.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

dis astranagant posted:

A gimmick that changes maps slightly based on sidequests you've done (pushes it toward white) and deaths in human form (black). At pure black there are extra black phantom enemies around and an extra item or 2. At pure white there are fewer enemies that deal less damage and also an extra item or 2. This is tracked for each of the 5 major zones. You also get more souls and item drops in pure black iirc.

Yeah, the thing that pushes it into "I can't see this content" though is that apparently there are a whole bunch of other things too. Like playing on Valentine's day or Halloween. Or defeating certain bosses on your first try, etc etc. Stuff that you just won't guess without a guide and even them might miss, and without some of the more difficult /arcane stuff it doesn't seem to change anything

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I marched back to The Pursuer boss after leveling and getting Great Heavy Soul Arrow and crushed him. Very satisfying after dying a bunch to him earlier in the game.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

OhFunny posted:

I marched back to The Pursuer boss after leveling and getting Great Heavy Soul Arrow and crushed him. Very satisfying after dying a bunch to him earlier in the game.

I also played as a Sorcerer, but honestly the number 1 weapon against the pursuer is the Target Shield/Buckler and learning how to parry him.

I never got the hang of parrying against most enemies, but against the Pursuer I got it down pat. It's his kryptonite.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

!Klams posted:

Yeah, the thing that pushes it into "I can't see this content" though is that apparently there are a whole bunch of other things too. Like playing on Valentine's day or Halloween. Or defeating certain bosses on your first try, etc etc. Stuff that you just won't guess without a guide and even them might miss, and without some of the more difficult /arcane stuff it doesn't seem to change anything

The specific day stuff was just something the people running the servers would do to mess around. They made it so if you got online on those days your world tendency would shift hard one direction or the other. I forgot that online world tendency drifts towards an average value which is kind of annoying.

I can't remember any bosses you had to beat on the first try to get anything, though. Worst case there's always ng+

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I also played as a Sorcerer, but honestly the number 1 weapon against the pursuer is the Target Shield/Buckler and learning how to parry him.

I never got the hang of parrying against most enemies, but against the Pursuer I got it down pat. It's his kryptonite.

I mean, he's not even that hard without parrying. His attack timings are very predictable if you watch him, so you can always get a couple of hits in once he does a big slam.

That being said, I'm absolutely parrying him next time I play the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Strongest pursuer cheese combo(in his main arena) is parry him in front of a ballista and then shoot him twice with it, which is all you need to do to kill him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Strongest pursuer cheese combo(in his main arena) is parry him in front of a ballista and then shoot him twice with it, which is all you need to do to kill him

Trying to cheese him seems kind of dumb in Sotfs now that you have to fight him thirty times. Might as well figure it out the first time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You don't HAVE to fight him, you GET to fight him

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Pursuer is sooo easy though, roll right, smack in rear end with mace. Repeat.

or don't even roll, just walk around him and dodge hits.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Pursuer is one of my favorite bosses because he's such a gigantic rear end in a top hat the first time you meet him, but then you learn his timings and the battle becomes very fair. It makes me feel good every time i kill him without taking damage and remember how he did the same to me before.

I also never learned to parry, i just roll under his sword swing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I know people love to complain about big armored knights being overused in this game but Pursuer is one of DS2's better enemies imo, especially the powered-up version. He's satisfying to fight, not ridiculously punishing if you mess up learning, and his moves look cool.

Frionnel posted:

I also never learned to parry, i just roll under his sword swing.

There isn't much point to parrying him imo. Since you can't riposte the only time it's especially useful is the boss arena in Forest where you can ballista him. I would rather roll past him and get two or three hits in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I know The Pursuer is regraded as one of the more mechanically easier bosses, but I just couldn't land the timing on the parries or dodges during my initial attempts. :shrug:

Debating grinding a little more or taking on Flexile Sentry right away now.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

What kinda sucks about playing this for the first time so long after release, coupled with it being a less popular DS game, it can be hard to get phantoms. These 3 dudes in lost bastille suck.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

What are you playing on? If Scholar on PC or PS4 then I can get to Bastille real quick and help you out

E: I mean not like right this second but ya know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

-The Ruin Sentinels have relatively low health, so if you're aggressive you can rush down the second one before the third is a problem.
-Many of their attacks have huge openings, so if you do have to deal with both the second and third at once you can wait until both give overlapping windows in which to attack.
-There's an NPC summon in the jail cells right before the boss arena.