Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Do not get the starter edition. Just pony up for the regular version. 12,500 renown to unlock operators is a shitton, and the DLC operators are 25k each.

Edit: You get somewhere on the end of twice as much renown for winning a game as you do losing. On my main account, when I have a booster, the season pass, and a special event boost, I might get 1000-1100 renown. On a starter account, without all that stuff (you do get a free 24 hour booster) you'll be lucky to get 250 in a winning match. That's about 42 WINNING matches to unlock a non-DLC operator.

My numbers could be wrong but they're close. Playing casually with the regular version, you could unlock all the regular operators within about a month. DLC operators are, I think, 50k or 25k but you also get them for free if you get that season's pass. I would buy the regular version and see how you like it before spending money on the pass.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

So hey, I'm looking for a new shooter, and apparently this has matured into a legitimately good game by now. So now I'm mostly just wondering about two things: How approachable is this for a newcomer at this point? Can you pick it up and do reasonably well in short order, or am I just gonna get murdered 24/7 by the veterans until I know all the ins and outs?

Secondly, how grindy is it on average? They're offering that starter edition right now, which is cheaper but makes all the regular characters cost 12,500 of the in-game currency. Is that the kind of thing you could reasonably get over the course of a few days/weeks of active playing, or would I be stuck grinding for months on end until I can afford the next character? How important is it to have a wider selection of characters, and how much of the ingame currency do you need for other assorted stuff?

In terms of approachability, Siege is a weird beast. It relies super heavily on map knowledge, know what's pen-able, what's not, where the peak spots are, where you can place certain deployables, what operators have what options when, but at the end of the day nine out of ten rounds come down to shooting, and if you've got great reflexes, or middling reflexes and a good ear, you can do perfectly fine before you get that map knowledge down pat.

Like Joeslop said, don't bother with the starter, the savings in headache, time and lack of options in-match is worth the extra money. As for grindy once you have the basic operators, which is fairly quick, you get less renown for a loss, but overall it tends to average out to twenty, twenty five hours of play (and usually shorter) per DLC guy. Unless you subsist purely on novelty, you should never feel like you're being prevented from getting a new operator when you start feeling like playing one. It will be a bit before you have all the DLC guys though.

E: Learn to drone, and drone often. Love your drone.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 10, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Drones are incredibly key. Once you or someone else find the objective, run your drone the hell out of there and hide it. Eventually you will learn spots on or near the objective, and spots where you will be entering, to hide your drone so you're not walking in blind. Until you learn those spots, take your drone back outside and pick it up so you can use it again.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Perestroika posted:

So hey, I'm looking for a new shooter, and apparently this has matured into a legitimately good game by now. So now I'm mostly just wondering about two things: How approachable is this for a newcomer at this point? Can you pick it up and do reasonably well in short order, or am I just gonna get murdered 24/7 by the veterans until I know all the ins and outs?

Secondly, how grindy is it on average? They're offering that starter edition right now, which is cheaper but makes all the regular characters cost 12,500 of the in-game currency. Is that the kind of thing you could reasonably get over the course of a few days/weeks of active playing, or would I be stuck grinding for months on end until I can afford the next character? How important is it to have a wider selection of characters, and how much of the ingame currency do you need for other assorted stuff?

:frogsiren: It's an incredibly lovely purchase. :frogsiren:

Starter version was a good idea brought in too late and undermined by frequent sales.

It will turn getting the renown needed for new dudes into a complete grindfest, I think it costs 25k renown to get all the launch operators with the non-starter edition, versus the 225k(you get enough clancybucks for two guys iirc? otherwise it's 250k) for starter.

You can play hard for a week and get all of the launch operators with the regular version of the game. On starter edition you could play for a couple of months and still have a bunch of launch characters to unlock or you can get the regular version and by that point have not just all the launch guys unlocked but a year's worth of DLC characters.

On accessibility: You will suck when you start because you don't know the maps, this is fine, and you can make up for it by being proficient in clicking enemy heads.

The most important thing for getting better at the game as a newbie is being able to learn the maps and what different operators do. Situational awareness is key, and a really big part of that is knowing, for example, whether or not the nerds on the other side of a reinforced wall have the means to blow a hole through it, or how dangerous is to peek certain doors or windows because of the fat russian hanging outside it with a magic scope through which any part you leave exposed will show up bright yellow, even through smoke.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, gonna roll with the regular edition, then. Thanks for the input y'all!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Alright, gonna roll with the regular edition, then. Thanks for the input y'all!

There is a goon discord and IRC as well, probably in the first post. Don't play with pubbies if you can help it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Even though I haven't played this game in forever I would encourage anyone interested in it to just pull the trigger and get it, probably my most favorite shooter in a long rear end time even though it is ran through udontplay.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I didn't start playing until a few seasons in and it was fun as hell just running around with the gun selection and learning all the operator's abilities through trial and error

like you don't have to read a manual or watch youtube strats to get into this game and get the most out of it

endgame siege is how to min/max your clown mask acquisition rates

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Perestroika posted:

Its a competitive game so you'll get murdered for awhile but there's matchmaking so you can get matched with other people your skill level as you get better, same as any other decent competitive game.

Its not grindy just buy the game and play that. Don't buy the starter edition its super grindy and not worth it since the game is now old and regularly goes on sale.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Just be aware if you're grouped up with someone in high ranks like Platinum or Diamond, you're going to get people who will poo poo on you from the most infuriating pixel peeks.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

It took me 100 hours of playtime to "click" with Siege. At about that point, I finally started understanding how to use map knowledge to my advantage, how to roam the maps as a defender to flank attackers, how to use my drone as attacker to scout out the objective or enemy locations, what operators to use when, and how to use the operator's abilities to my advantage. Prior to that, most competitive games I played ended up in me peeking through a window/down a hallway and getting instantly headshotted.

If 100 hours of playtime sounds like an excessive amount of time to learn this game, then I have to add I played a lot of Terrorist Hunt because I thought it would help me learn the maps. Terrorist hunt does not teach you the maps at all, the stuff you do in it has no similarity to a real match. Don't waste time in terrorist hunt, only do it if you have to get your daily challenges.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/JamesyC98/status/883842179952758784

Just had this happen to us. Pretty cool. Its not.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Is the reason there are no new skins because the skinners are working hard on alpha pack exclusives? Are alpha packs part of operation health?

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
Pretty sure they are down to one developer and his cat at this point.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Wooper posted:

Is the reason there are no new skins because the skinners are working hard on alpha pack exclusives? Are alpha packs part of operation health?

Maybe the reason the map was dropped is because everybody got moved over to the newly founded hat department?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lohli posted:

Maybe the reason the map was dropped is because everybody got moved over to the newly founded hat department?
Newly found hat department of Far Cry 5, hth.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What was the patch

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/news/152-294634-16/title-update-211

Stuff necessary for alpha packs ( They should launch soon)
Partial Hibana fix (and a whole lot of text about it)
Kanal spawn peek cover

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sterling_Archer posted:

Pretty sure they are down to one developer and his cat at this point.

Post pictures of the cat, Hard.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is there another patch for operation health? More things not in the update news?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesyC98/status/883842179952758784

Just had this happen to us. Pretty cool. Its not.
That's a pretty bad exploit. Maybe even disable Valk until it gets patched.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

They are going to patch in an AC unit to block that spot

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

next attacking operator was delayed because he's still getting his hvac certification

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Quick, someone rename the thread to: You've been spotted.

''Spootted'' if you wanna be extra edgy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainbow 6 Siege: the game still doesn't quite work right

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hard posted:

Quick, someone rename the thread to: You've been spotted.

''Spootted'' if you wanna be extra edgy.

Nothing wrong with a little spotted dick.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Rainbow 6 Siege: the game still doesn't quite work right

Operation WebMD.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Operation WebMD.

: It's Got Cancer

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

alpha packs will be a fun pay 2 grief option and i quite seriously look forward to more silly skin options or getting some throwbacks from before i started playing

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, after the servers of course decided to crap out on the very day I got this game, I finally had the opportunity to get a few rounds in. I'm still at the "get shot in the back of the face because I forgot you can just make holes into barricades" stage, but I'm slowly finding my footing and had a few fun successes. Best moment so far was rappelling in through a window and shooting three dudes in the back while they were busy having a firefight with my allies on the other side of the objective. Worst moment was a dude on my team repeatedly calling me a "level 8 retard" and teamkilling me at the start of the round for picking IQ, which is apparently just not done. But I voluntarily took on that risk when deciding to roll with pubbies in an online shooter, so who cares. :v:

Anyhow, I'm looking for a little advice on the weapon selection. I mean, it's easy enough to decide between a shotgun and an automatic weapon, but I don't really know what to take when there are several assault rifles, SMGs, or LMGs available for a character. At this point I'm not really looking to min/max my dps or anything of the sort yet, I'm mostly just wondering whether there are any standout weapons that are particularly good or garbage that I should look out for. Same question for attachments, so far I've just been slapping reflex sights, vertical foregrips, and compensators on everything, with the occasional suppressor on certain attackers when I'm feeling fancy. Also, is there ever a point to rolling with a ballistic shield on Fuze?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

IQ is hot poo poo, gently caress that guy for killing you. I play with IQ sometimes, she's great at completely destroying Valk's cams (basically making the Valk pick for that round useless) and hunting down Pulse.

As for weapons, it's all dependant on what you like and what you feel like, my dude. Some days I feel like rocking in with Capitao's LMG, other days I'll go with an Assault Rifle. Each weapon has a different feel to it, don't worry about DPS (it's not really a huge issue). Guns are there for you to take what you feel like. Some days I'm noticing my shots are hella accurate, so I'll take a single-fire gun to obliterate enemy heads, other days I feel like prefiring a poo poo tonne so I'll take a rapid-fire weapon.

Same goes for attachments. There's pics up that prove certain attachments on certain guns decrease recoil and make really tight bullet groupings, but I never bought into that poo poo. I still play perfectly fine with whatever I whack onto my poo poo.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Anyhow, I'm looking for a little advice on the weapon selection. I mean, it's easy enough to decide between a shotgun and an automatic weapon, but I don't really know what to take when there are several assault rifles, SMGs, or LMGs available for a character. At this point I'm not really looking to min/max my dps or anything of the sort yet, I'm mostly just wondering whether there are any standout weapons that are particularly good or garbage that I should look out for. Same question for attachments, so far I've just been slapping reflex sights, vertical foregrips, and compensators on everything, with the occasional suppressor on certain attackers when I'm feeling fancy. Also, is there ever a point to rolling with a ballistic shield on Fuze?

Shotguns tend to be more for utility than weapons in this game, though some are pretty decent. They're very good at making holes and breaking unreinforced hatches. Some operators like Smoke, Sledge, or Echo have very good machine pistol secondaries, which make having a shotgun primary a viable pick. For the most part all SMGs and rifles are going to be decent. Machine guns tend to be hot garbage, except maybe IQ's. DMRs hit like a truck but have a low fire rate. Terrorist Hunt is going to be the closest you'll get to a firing range to try everything out.
As for attachments:

Sights are personal preference. Most people use ACOGs when they can due to the pixel peeking nature of this game. Either dot sight works well now that the reticle sizes don't take up a quarter of your vision. RDS also doesn't block the sides of your vision like an ACOG does.

I use a shield on Fuze sometimes depending on how I'm feeling that day. His PMM secondary is super powerful. Combined with a laser it can make you extremely lethal at close ranges. If the enemy team is roaming aggressively, the shield can be a good choice for when they rotate to kill you after hearing the first Fuze charge go off.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Every op is useful so if somebody ever gives you poo poo for picking somebody just know they have identified themselves as trash scrub tier immediately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Even a recruit is better to your team than a dead body

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Even a recruit is better to your team than a dead body

Yeah cause dead bodies can't pack the sweet rear end German Shotgun combined with 3 speed making them man deadliest weapons.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Spetznaz recruits can take Fuze shields as well so you can run the 5 shield team you've dreamed of.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

ATP_Power posted:

Spetznaz recruits can take Fuze shields as well so you can run the 5 shield team you've dreamed of.

I saw this a couple days ago in very low level matchmaking. If they hadn't all tried to come through the same door at the same time it might have almost been something.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

@hard doc's momma mia charm should have been a bandaid, not a breadstick

be advised :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, thanks for the gun advice! I hadn't expected the machine pistols would be any good, but they've actually served me pretty well so far. In return, have some gifs:

Judicious marksmanship right there. I'd just started reloading as he came around the corner, hence the pistol switch:
http://i.imgur.com/UpDnhYJ.mp4

Fuze.mp4 (this was Hostage):
http://i.imgur.com/OGanxJ6.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Click here and vote for Madden please.

https://play.esea.net/index.php?s=poll&d=comments&id=1096

• Locked thread