Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahh

I just started to look at my twitter after lunch

Oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

farraday posted:

He's also been assured by Trump's lawyers that they can't impeach a President and Vice President for the same crime.

https://y.yarn.co/5cac2a0e-103d-489a-8199-f363c612809f.mp4?1499739113147

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

aware of dog posted:

Yes, a pardon/immunity removes your ability to plead the 5th because you can no longer incriminate yourself (at least wrt the crime you've been immunized of)

Which means, I believe, that you can still be charged with perjury/obstruction of justice if you choose to lie afterwards.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CmdrRiker posted:

That aside, does the pardon provide any benefit at all? Would this inhibit a trial somehow?

Does a pardon revoke the individual's 5th amendment rights?

a pardon makes it impossible to try someone for the pardoned crime yeah. bush 1 pardoning everyone but himself in iran-contra probably prevented people from flipping and implicating bush. it does revoke their 5th amendment rights though because they can no longer claim they are implicating themselves though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, the actual New York Times article has to reference a set of insane, rambling tweets alleging a media conspiracy, a set of perfunctory emails that talk about casually about colluding with the Russian Government to undermine a political rival, and a music video based on the theme song from a reality television show, because all of those things are somehow a part of the current White House.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CmdrRiker posted:

That aside, does the pardon provide any benefit at all? Would this inhibit a trial somehow?

A pardon severs a crime from the legal system; they can no longer be tried for whatever it was the pardon covers. They could still be tried for something else, called to testify, etc but will no longer suffer any legal consequences directly related to that crime.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

I am just so happy today. It's like a nice little gift created and personally delivered by the world's dumbest moron.

I'm utterly shocked his lawyer hasn't up and quit because JFC why would you want to defend this moron

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I imagine Trump has made a point to criminally implicate Pence (and as much of the administration as he can) to prevent him from backstabbing like that. We've already seen him lie about Kislyak meetings, and I doubt it ends there.

Oh I'm sure he knows about just about all of it. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he has been reporting back to the RNC about what's been going on so that they can spin it in a favorable way. Broader Republicans do certainly seem to have their responses to breaking news prepped early as they all immediately come out and say the same drat thing almost immediately after news breaks.

Again, even though his knowledge of the conspiracy constitutes a crime, no one is going to focus on him at all for fear of letting Trump off the hook.

CmdrRiker posted:

How can you invoke protection from incrimination when you have already been granted immunity from incrimination? Jr. could be forced to testify under threat of Contempt if he doesn't talk. This has been gone over dozens of times in this thread already.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm utterly shocked his lawyer hasn't up and quit because JFC why would you want to defend this moron

I'd say because he's getting paid but...

"They don't pay and they don't listen."

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
If Trump goes down, there's no way he doesn't make every attempt to bring down everyone around him out of stupidity and spite.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

My understanding is yes, as it would no longer be possible to incriminate yourself, same as with immunity.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

You wouldn't have 5th amendment rights regarding a crime you've been pardoned for, because you wouldn't be exposing yourself to prosecution by testifying about it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Are there any lawyers on twitter right now, or anywhere, that have a position of "Well actually this is a good thing he did because" I can't seem to find them.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
:bignews:

lock that punk up

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If they're smart they were prepaid and they're just running down the clock on the contract.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What is Mueller thinking right now? Do you think he knew all of this already? Or is he adding it to the pile of stuff he already has? Does this make his job harder or easier?

I just can't believe Don Jr. released the information like this. All of the Trumps are loving stupid, it's unbelievable.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

nerdz posted:

This right here was a really stupid move, because whatever appears on CNN and other places can be readily dismissed by Trump's base, but by posting it himself he just made it all unquestionable truth to both sides.

Now he posted the thing, completely removing any shadow of doubt that it's real and CNN can make the article even more damning and with data that has already been verified by Jr. himself.

That what was stupid beyond comprehension. If the NYT contacted you to respond before they ran this, just not respond and take to Twitter calling the emails fake news. Fox News, and the 46% of people who voted Trump would buy that. Why confirm the story by posting the emails yourself, and confirm that you lied

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The very first example of collusion on wikipedia's page on collusion is Widdle Donny.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hasn't his lawyer defended like 4 or 5 NY mafia families?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

i have no loving idea how anyone let that email outside the group of people on it

he couldn't have been dumb enough to leak the email with his name on it

I guess. Maybe we will never know the source of it or it is some IT underlining.

That the email got leaked to the times is pretty amazing but what bemuses me is that in anything like a competent organization concerned with secrecy and security that email shouldn't have existed in the first place. Those are conversations that should have happened in hushed tones in person in a well checked office.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Well, he's a mafia lawyer, so he's probably used to this sort of thing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

By this point I'll bet Lawyers around the country are instinctively muttering "Shut up, shut up. For Gods sake stop talking!" whenever their attention wanders, or they are distracted for a moment, and they don't know why.

Have to be honest people. Starting to suspect Donald Trump Jr may not be the supergenius we naturally all assumed he was.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

farraday posted:

DO NOT WATCH IF YOU'RE INCLINED TO PUNCH YOUR MONITOR.
So the standard "a video of Ted Cruz speaking" warning then

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crows Turn Off posted:

What is Mueller thinking right now? Do you think he knew all of this already? Or is he adding it to the pile of stuff he already has? Does this make his job harder or easier?

I just can't believe Don Jr. released the information like this. All of the Trumps are loving stupid, it's unbelievable.

He's chilling with a big grin on his face because he's getting ready to shoot fish in a barrel with a 155mm howitzer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Overwined posted:

I think it's a small fire, like the tinder just caught fire. But Mueller is still in the shadows and he's got the gas can.

It's a small fire, like of a fridge motor started an electrical fire, but it turns out the rest of the building is covered in gold panelling that's flammable because it was a few dollars cheaper.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

Are there any lawyers on twitter right now, or anywhere, that have a position of "Well actually this is a good thing he did because" I can't seem to find them.

I'm sure Dershowitz or some other rear end in a top hat will have that piece up shortly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, I imagine he is in his office sipping coffee when he heard a ton a laughter outside his office, he pokes his head out and sees everyone looking at screen laughing. He gets motioned over, and walks over slowly expecting a cat video or a dumb Fake News tweet.

He see Don Jr's email chain

He begins to giggle

Fin

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

Hasn't his lawyer defended like 4 or 5 NY mafia families?

Yea but at least those greaseballs know when to shut up and when to talk to their FBI contacts while snitching.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

We probably wouldn't be seeing this is Mueller didn't have it. He probably just subpoenad it. (Are subpoena requests public?)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I remain reluctant to believe that this time things will start Mattering. I am not sure Junior is in real life legal trouble, but if he is and daddy pardons him, that's something the population can easily digest.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

this is going to be a real good episode of the dollop some day

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Serfer posted:

Nah, he's much more used to people that know that keeping you mouth shut keeps you out of jail.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just popped onto the Facebook trending topic of Don Jr, holy poo poo some people are loving delusional. They immediately redirect to Clinton's emails.

They're the minority but good god.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The icing on the treason cake, to me, is that he's planning on going on Hannity. Like, something like this drops, and the immediate reaction is "we have to get him on friendly TV!". That's the reaction of a group that is fundamentally unfamiliar with crises that have lasting consequences.

Also https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/884810992902955008

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Welp, I was giving 1:1 odds that the most incriminating evidence was sitting in "Recycle Bin". Turns out it didn't even make it there and they kept all the incriminating evidence.

Carter Page is looking a lot like Keyser Soze in comparison right now. He was the double agent all along.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Overwined posted:

Nah, he's much more used to people that know that keeping you mouth shut keeps you out of jail.

Ok, not so much in that respect, but in the "people acting in the stupidest way possible" sense.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Serfer posted:

At least the mafia has a code of silence.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Overwined posted:

How can you invoke protection from incrimination when you have already been granted immunity from incrimination? Jr. could be forced to testify under threat of Contempt if he doesn't talk. This has been gone over dozens of times in this thread already.

Yes, you're right. The point has well been illuminated permanently within my brain. My problem with the state of events was how far the rabbit hole goes.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So the standard "a video of Ted Cruz speaking" warning then

Yeah but you know if you don't post it, someones gonna demand you pay for their monitor. I blame the lawyers.

Looking forward to that tweet pardon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crows Turn Off posted:

Mueller's investigation is about 30% actual dirt digging, 20% waiting for journalists to find it and 50% letting the trumps bury themselves right now.

• Locked thread