Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Right now there's a trickle of isekai that's gone on for a long time, we're past idol series spam, the novelists will be cheap to work with and it's full of harem and shounen activities. I'm taking the business route. (forgot Overlord and Tanya, my mind is definitely thinking about the medieval fantasy cringers more)

Tsurezure Children is just what I expected it to be like animated; great. Sweet and funny slice of life.

Wark Say posted:

Don't remember much of El Hazard, though. :(
It (OAV) belongs on a regularly dusted-off shelf, watched on an optical player that regularly gets the laser diode cleaned and the sled lubricated. Even the dub is way up there in quality and giving character. A benchmark.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

Overlord was probably the biggest commercial hit to be part of this boom.
Ack. I forgot to add Overlord and Tanya to the mix.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://my.mixtape.moe/cxeywg.webm
loving finally.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
loving finally one of the yuri-bait lesbos blushed.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you have not seen rakugo for some reason, the directors cut of the first episode that adds half an hour of extra content has now be subbed, so start with that

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Davincie posted:

if you have not seen rakugo for some reason, the directors cut of the first episode that adds half an hour of extra content has now be subbed, so start with that

Is it of S1 E1 or S2 E1? Because S1 E1 was already an hour long!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

loving finally one of the yuri-bait lesbos blushed.

Not seeing a lot of lilies there. Are you sure they're gay?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is it of S1 E1 or S2 E1? Because S1 E1 was already an hour long!

season 1

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gently caress yeah

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, it's basically a Movie Length Rakugo EP 1? That's loving SWEET. :dance:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

Is it on crunchyroll?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gently caress wrong thread

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Is it on crunchyroll?
Yes, get crackin'.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

uhm no, the dc isnt on crunchy and dont count on it ever being there

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

uhm no, the dc isnt on crunchy and dont count on it ever being there

Dang. Then Imma have to wait until I get home, then.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Has there been anything better than Konosuba (Comedy) / Re:Zero (Drama/Horror) adapted to anime from the Isekai novel boom?

Demon is a part timer was the best of the bunch and is a shame we didn'tget more of that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm a million years behind but here's my takes on a couple first episodes

Tsurezure Children: cute and funny
Isekai Restaurant: dull, but not offensively so and more characters could make it better

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dogsicle posted:

I don't really know what's too 90's about it, having just watched it last year. It's not up to snuff of current anime bluray quality but the designs have aged fine outside of that.

Combine that with dated characterization and yea, it has aged poorly. The hypocritical pacifist warrior shounen character was explored and exhausted, and I could only roll my eyes at the actions most of the characters took, straightforward and reasonable 20 years ago, but feels really outdated today.

As a counter-example, we have Grave of the Fireflies which despite its dated look has aged well, with brilliant execution with nearly the same impact.

This isn't the first time I've gone back to series to see how it has aged, and imho Now and Then, Here and There falls under the rose-tinted glasses category.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grouchio posted:

I remember infinitely more things from Re Zero than I did from (Dat rear end and lovely sponsored soundtrack) Grimgar.

Are you saying you don't remember the insanely good background art from Grimgar?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Combine that with dated characterization and yea, it has aged poorly. The hypocritical pacifist warrior shounen character was explored and exhausted, and I could only roll my eyes at the actions most of the characters took, straightforward and reasonable 20 years ago, but feels really outdated today.

As a counter-example, we have Grave of the Fireflies which despite its dated look has aged well, with brilliant execution with nearly the same impact.

This isn't the first time I've gone back to series to see how it has aged, and imho Now and Then, Here and There falls under the rose-tinted glasses category.

In the breadth of All Media, it's not that notable, but for anime (past and present) it tackles topics that aren't common or well-worn. Doing so with the level of execution it did was enough for me to look on it fondly and be willing to recommend it. :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Demon is a part timer was the best of the bunch and is a shame we didn'tget more of that.

Isn't like a reverse Isekai since it's someone from another world coming here rather than another way around?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Ah, yeah. I forget that it was an Isekai. Didn't someone recently post about the author trying to appease a committee to green-light a second season after a Drama CD was made with Ryohta Osaka (Sadao) and Youko Hikasa (Emi) returning to voice their characters? Or did I day-dream that?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Ah, yeah. I forget that it was an Isekai. Didn't someone recently post about the author trying to appease a committee to green-light a second season after a Drama CD was made with Ryohta Osaka (Sadao) and Youko Hikasa (Emi) returning to voice their characters? Or did I day-dream that?

the author threw out a public statement that he'd like a second season for the fans, but business is a complicated thing and he's not the only vote that makes that happen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread added :toot:

quote:

Princess Principal
Actas, Studio 3Hz | Tachibana, Masaki | Okouchi, Ichiro | Original | Action, Adventure | July 9, 2017
The stage is set during the 19th century London, in its capital where a wall divides the east and west of the Kingdom of Albion. Five high school girls, who enrolled in the prestigious Queens May Fair School, are involved in spy activities that involve disguise, infiltration, car chase, and more. These girls take advantage of their special abilities and fly around the shadow world.
PV
Thread

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
does anyone else want to make a thread for made in abyss, or should i? because i think that show is gonna end up needing one

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Personal_Nirvana posted:

HOLD THAT DIAL

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

Are you saying you don't remember the insanely good background art from Grimgar?
It doesn't carry an adaptation alone (example: Little Nemo by Miyazaki)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Homura and Sickle posted:

does anyone else want to make a thread for made in abyss, or should i? because i think that show is gonna end up needing one

I'd make one, but :effort: , and I haven't read the Manga, so I don't think I'm qualified to do it justice.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I've read the current scans and will go ahead and cook something up in the next couple hours. Anyone is free to step in with a thread in the meantime.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

If You Stare Into the Anime, the Anime Stares Back At You. Made In Abyss Thread

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For Isekai Shokudou I find it interesting in how they're adapting this because the demon girl waitress actually doesn't appear in the novel until the 20th chapter. Guess they needed a mascot for the anime earlier on. I will say that the dialogue is probably hella awkward, but there's not much you can do when describing how food tastes in an anime compared to a novel. Still, the relaxed and cozy atmosphere is about the same and it's nice to watch after a long day.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

do you pick up?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun is the feel-good comedy of the season, then Aho Girl is the feel-bad comedy of the season

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's a Made In Abyss thread now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826597

i messed up the thread tag though, please ignore it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kyon-kun, denwa.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

If Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun is the feel-good comedy of the season, then Aho Girl is the feel-bad comedy of the season

Oh my god, I lost it at that scene. :kimchi:

Yoshiko's idiocy appears to be contagious

StandardVC10 posted:

Kyon-kun, denwa.
:stare:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The second episode of Isekai Restaurant changed my opinion on the show. It's not dull, it's good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks for making a MIA thread Dogsicle :toot:

quote:

Made in Abyss
Kinema Citrus | Kojima, Masayuki | Kurata, Hideyuki | Web Manga | Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy | July 7, 2017
The enormous cave system, known as the Abyss, is the only unexplored place in the world. Nobody knows how deep down goes this titanic pit, inhabited by strange and wondrous creatures and full of mysterious ancient relics which purpose in unknown to modern man. Generations of bold adventurers have been drawn by the cryptic depths of the Abyss. In course of time those bold enough to explore the dangerous pit came to be known as "Cave Raiders."
In Oosu, the town at the edge of the Abyss, there lives a little orphan named Rico, who dreams of becoming as great a cave raider as her mother was and solving the great mystery of the pit. One day exploring the murky depths she stumbles upon a little boy, who turns out to be a robot...
PV
Thread

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tomorrow will wrap up the seasonal streams for this Summer:

Stream at 6:30 PM CST, shows in no particular order
- Princess Principal
- Dive!!
- Mahoujin Guru Guru
- Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor (if subs appear between now and then)
I've also got a couple spot fillers (random first eps of old shows) and might toss one in at the end, so stay tuned to see whether it's 70's shoujo volleyball, 90's music-themed isekai, or a 70's shoujo set 50 years in the past!

Regarding streams for further seasons, I'm retiring this whole deal. It hasn't been a particularly good format given shows often air throughout the week, and it's hard to find a time that works for everyone (turnout has dropped). I also don't feel like it has been an ideal way for me to enjoy the season, though there are some benefits to a community stream that I'll miss. Thanks to everyone who voted in the polls and showed up for the two seasons I managed to make this happen (:rip: Spring 2017).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hey guys?

Go watch Mahoujin Guru Guru. It's great and available to watch on Crunchyroll

• Locked thread